Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › HiFace, sensitive information
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFace, sensitive information - Page 6

post #76 of 425
Thread Starter 

I believe Jkeny was referring to the modded HiFace... Regal also said he heard significantly less differences between the 2 modded versions... Stock units are another story.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post

My 44.1 and 48 sound almost the same with the foobar test, so I don't know where that leaves me?  Two large or two small.......

 

On the other hand, jkeny posted that he didn't hear a difference between the two, so I was wondering if he meant he didn't hear a difference between the stock versions or his modded versions?

 

USG

post #77 of 425
Thread Starter 

This is what Regal actually said about the modded HiFaces...

 

The real worry is probably for the stock units, which should account for the vast majority of them.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post

I don't think you understand that you can take a below par oscillator (clock) and feed it battery power and have significant improvements,  this is why I don't think Jkeny modded owners have much to worry about.

 

I was so pissed at the stock unit with the small clock  that I didn't spend a lot of time with it on the batteries but what I remember was the batteries mostly cured the condition. 

post #78 of 425

I  purchased and recieved mine in early February of this year but I have no idea when TweekGeek received it from M2Tech. Hopefully it was taken from stock acquired prior to December..........
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post




Hi Alexdad54

 

When did TweekGeek ship yours?

 

USG

post #79 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdad54 View Post

I  purchased and recieved mine in early February of this year but I have no idea when TweekGeek received it from M2Tech. Hopefully it was taken from stock acquired prior to December..........
 


 


Alexdad54,

 

How do you like the way yours sounds?  Did you notice an improvement over what you had before?

post #80 of 425

I couldn't say as I didn't have anything before I bought the HiFace. I was assembling my PC audio-based system bit by bit, buying separately external HDD's, a netbook, an MHDT Havana DAC, several coax cables, the HiFace and Denon DH7000 phones with a KCAS amp. It sounds good but I do still find it a bit fatiguing and somewhat harsh sounding (compared to my CDP-based system) which makes me a bit concerned that perhaps I received the "small clocks"

I have changed tubes in the Havana and that has helped a bit and j Just for fun, I'm going to try connecting the HiFace directly into the DAC utilizing a good quality USB cable from the netbook and a RCA(m) to RCA(m) adapter to connect to the DAC (I have the RCA HiFace).


Edited by Alexdad54 - 7/29/10 at 11:16am
post #81 of 425

Will the M2tech EVO be equipped with the better part ?

post #82 of 425

Have any of you tried using the application included with the latest hiFace driver called 'display.exe'? It is supposed to show bit depth and sample rate, but it does not work with my hiFace. I wonder if this would mean I have the wrong clocks? I told Marco about this some time ago and he said he would let his programmer know. I havent heard anything since and still no driver update.

post #83 of 425


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorlac View Post

Have any of you tried using the application included with the latest hiFace driver called 'display.exe'? It is supposed to show bit depth and sample rate, but it does not work with my hiFace. I wonder if this would mean I have the wrong clocks? I told Marco about this some time ago and he said he would let his programmer know. I havent heard anything since and still no driver update.


Mine never worked.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamu144 View Post

This is what Regal actually said about the modded HiFaces...

 

The real worry is probably for the stock units, which should account for the vast majority of them.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post

I don't think you understand that you can take a below par oscillator (clock) and feed it battery power and have significant improvements,  this is why I don't think Jkeny modded owners have much to worry about.

 

I was so pissed at the stock unit with the small clock  that I didn't spend a lot of time with it on the batteries but what I remember was the batteries mostly cured the condition.


 


Would it be incorrect to think that if you can realize significant improvements by feeding a below par oscillator (clock) battery power, you will obtain even greater improvements doing the same thing with a good oscillator?

 

USG

post #84 of 425

So does anyone know if this issue has been sorted out yet?

 

I just purchased an M2Tech Hiface from tweekgeaks today.  I want to know that I won't get hosed with one of these inferior units.  I suppose I'll find out once I get the unit.

post #85 of 425
Thread Starter 

Indeed, this is actually something I already mentionned earlier in the thread. I would rather go with the large MEC clock all the way, especially if I were going to mod mine...
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post

Would it be incorrect to think that if you can realize significant improvements by feeding a below par oscillator (clock) battery power, you will obtain even greater improvements doing the same thing with a good oscillator?

 

USG


According to Jkeny, the new HiFace are beeing produced again with the large MEC oscillator since beginning of July... Now, the question remains if you have bought it from a dealer, when was this unit manufactured ?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanne View Post

So does anyone know if this issue has been sorted out yet?

post #86 of 425
Thread Starter 

I have finally received both HiFace back.

 

First thing I tried was listening both with 24/96 material. I used some available demo files from HD Tracks and 2L for that. I could also try later with a few rip i made of DVD-A at 24/192, but so far, I am unable to spot differences between both HiFaces at this sample rate. They just sound identical to me, which makes sense, since they are both relying on the same clock at 48khz mutliples. That is while playing on my main rig, Lavry DA11 and Beyer DT48A.

 

Second thing I tried was listening 44.1khz files with the "small clock" HiFace on a more forgiving system: Lavry DA11/LD mkIII/Sony CD900ST. Listenable I would describe it... It didn't strike me as bad as I remembered, when I could barley listen to music for more than 5 minutes. The tube colorations in a certain way masked the poor timing of the music. However, switching back to the "large clock" HiFace was a revelation, even on this system. Much better mids, voices fuller and richer, a much better sense of pace and rithm, much better articulation (so apparent on voices), soundstage suddenly opens and images precisely.

 

So while not as extreme as my first experience with the small clocks HiFace, I can say with confidence that even on a not so resolving system, differences still exists. But I understand how they could be tolerable for some, and maybe why people haven't been complaining that much untill now... Just a guess though.

post #87 of 425

Shamu, thanks for the test - it seems to reveal a sonic difference!

 

BTW, I didn't say "According to Jkeny, the new HiFace are beeing produced again with the large MEC oscillator since beginning of July"

 

What I said was a very tentative  "I'm really unsure when it changed back though - If I was pushed I would say May/June"

post #88 of 425

Has anybody been able to get an exchange from Tweak Geek?

 

USG

post #89 of 425

Mike at Tweekgeek.com is awaiting shipping dates and details from M2Tech to determine which units may have contained the small clocks. I hope to hear back soon.

post #90 of 425

I wrote them if they could send me the normal clocks so that i  can solder them in myself.

 

But I just received an automated reply that M2tech will be closed for holidays until the 23.08.2010 :(

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › HiFace, sensitive information