Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › HiFace, sensitive information
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFace, sensitive information - Page 25

post #361 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdanny View Post


 

I was not posting out of the blues, I was answering to Sebehyfarku, but:

No, I am not going in "circle" and the differences we "heared" are not as clear to many of us as they are to you.

 

A heavily souped-up Mustang may be equal in performance to a stock Ferrari.

But a heavily souped-up Mustang will still be inferior to a heavily souped-up Ferrari.

 

I can understand how a modded small clock will equal the performance of a stock big clock, yet:

What makes you think that the small clock, as crappy and of such inferior quality as you say it is, can all of a sudden resurrect, rise to the occasion and equal the performance of the larger clock when BOTH are fed a clean power supply?  If the larger clock is SO much better than the smaller one, then how come it shows NO improvements when modded, because according to you the small one definitely catches up to it??  Please explain that in a clear and concise manner, because sir, it just doesn't make any sense.
 


Maybe you should study how oscillators work?  They are a physical device not some ideal model you were taught in computer science or whatever your major was.  As a physical device you have clocks that are more susceptible to PSR,  others hold steady.  When you use batteries you take that out of the equation as there is practically no PSR. So its not hard to explain just takes a little hand on experience.

 

 Also you are very thin skinned about your speaker setup,  maybe you should take your cause to a speaker forum.  I personally can't relate to your posts being a headphone guy,  no offense its just not cool to be evaluating things on speakers and posting here confusing people. JMHO

 

 

 

 


 

post #362 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post



 Also you are very thin skinned about your speaker setup,  maybe you should take your cause to a speaker forum.  I personally can't relate to your posts being a headphone guy,  no offense its just not cool to be evaluating things on speakers and posting here confusing people. JMHO

 

 

 

And pray tell, how do you know that the big clock holds steady to PSR and the smaller one does not?

 

"Your're listening to the hiface through speakers and not headphones, therefore what you hear does not count."  Never mind what I majored in mister, this is a hell of a statement coming from such an educated individual like yourself.


My speaker setup is none of your concern and frankly I am getting tired of your continuing insults.  Last time I checked you were not a moderator so you have zero rights to tell me to go to another forum.  And I don't have a cause - like everyone else here, I am posting my experiences with the hiface.  You have the option to ignore my posts, which I strongly suggest you do.


Edited by xdanny - 9/18/10 at 12:44am
post #363 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdanny View Post

Well, normally I'd be laughing with you on this one because it is kind of funny, but the man's reputation is at stake here, so it's a bit sensitive. 

 

But you didn't say, how do you like the sound as it pertains to your system?  Does it sound good enough to you to the point where you are not interested in opening up the unit to see which clocks you have?

 

Nothing's wrong with Marco's reputation other than that regal wants to remove him from his position for some reason LOL. Regarding the sound it's a bit on the bright side for me, but I definitely don't want to open the unit knowing that it would be utterly destroyed by me in the process. My interest was theoretical anyways, next week or so my unit will be swapped to a brand new one to be AMD compatible. Seeing that Mr. Kenny got banned during the Big Clock War I'll probably die without knowing which one was in my original unit. That time this will be my minutest problem, I guess.


Edited by Sebhelyesfarku - 9/18/10 at 8:39am
post #364 of 425

Hi, friend have Hiface with small oscillator, so he wrote to M2tech and got this response:

 

 

 

Quote:
Hello Martin,

actually, all the people who decided that the small oscillator was worse than the bigger one took their decision after discovering they were listening to the small one. That is, all tests were not done in double blind... In fact, based on the data supplied by the manufacturers, the two units have same performance as per phase noise.
You know for sure that by opening the interface you voided the warranty. Anyway, the operation you require is not related to a fault of the interface. So, we'll be glad to do what you require if you pay the cost of shipments both ways and the cost of parts and labour. We did the same operation to another customer for 20 Euros (part + labour + backward shipment).
If you're ok, please ship to:

x
x
x
x

and pay 20 Euros with Paypal on x. As an alternative, you can send 20 Euros together with the interface, inside its box: it's not strictly advisable, but it's easier. Upon recepit of the interface, we'll change the clock and send it back to you in a couple of days.

Cheers,

Marco

 

Is this now standart procedure? They make you to pay 20 Euro(plus 20 for shipping) just to get product in proper form?

 

post #365 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebhelyesfarku View Post

 

Nothing's wrong with Marco's reputation other than that regal wants to remove him from his position for some reason LOL. Regarding the sound it's a bit on the bright side for me, but I definitely don't want to open the unit knowing that it would be utterly destroyed by me in the process. My interest was theoretical anyways, next week or so my unit will be swapped to a brand new one to be AMD compatible. Seeing that Mr. Kenny got banned during the Big Clock War I'll probably die without knowing which one was in my original unit. That time this will be my minutest problem, I guess.

 

I always thought the stock unit was bright.        I called it "treble tilted" because the bass was decreased by the amount the treble was boosted.

 

The originalFace and the exchangeFace both play louder than my other sources.  Did you notice this too?

 

Do you know what it was about your original unit  that made it AMD incompatible?  What was the fix?  Firmware upgrade, or was it a hardware problem?



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bina View Post

Hi, friend have Hiface with small oscillator, so he wrote to M2tech and got this response:

 

Is this now standard procedure? They make you to pay 20 Euro(plus 20 for shipping) just to get product in proper form?

 

 

The only recourse we have as consumers, is to keep posting about stuff like this, until the company changes its policy.

 

USG

post #366 of 425

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post

I always thought the stock unit was bright.        I called it "treble tilted" because the bass was decreased by the amount the treble was boosted.

The originalFace and the exchangeFace both play louder than my other sources.  Did you notice this too?

Do you know what it was about your original unit  that made it AMD incompatible?  What was the fix?  Firmware upgrade, or was it a hardware problem?


USG


Well, more exactly for me it's brighter than the Toslink optical with the same DAC. Then switching back, optical sounds somewhat dull and veiled. So which one is the "right" one? Frankly I don't know. I have another DAC with the usual cheapo 44.1/48 USB port and it's also little bit brigther than the optical. Anyways I feel more details with the hiFace (because of treble boost? or jitter smears details on optical? I have no idea), plus it plays 88.2/176.4/192 so I hang on it.

I couldn't hear volume difference, but after so much fuss about it I put a Radio Shack style Sound Level Meter in the front of my Goodmans speaker and measured 200, 2000 and 5000Hz sine wave test tones through optical and hiFace. The differences were +-0.1-0.2dBC so well within that cheap arse sound level meter's "accuracy". So with my DAC it sounds like there's no volume diff.

Regarding the AMD compatibility it's firmware difference, I've been told.

 

post #367 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebhelyesfarku View Post

 

Regarding the AMD compatibility it's firmware difference, I've been told.

 



Our buddy Marco refused to believe there was an AMD issue until lots of people complained,  he wants the customers to pay the shipping to and fro Italy.  You guys have been jabbing me about my position on Marco but I can tell you I am not the only one to be a bit distgusted my his treatment of customers.  I don't give M2Tech long,  business's don't last long with a person like that handling customer relations.

post #368 of 425

 

Originally Posted by Bina View Post

Hi, friend have Hiface with small oscillator, so he wrote to M2tech and got this response [..]

 


lol, sending cash money to Italy, haha...double fail. At least it'll make someone happy at the Poste Italiane.

post #369 of 425

send 20 monopoly money with it :P

post #370 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebhelyesfarku View Post

 


Well, more exactly for me it's brighter than the Toslink optical with the same DAC. Then switching back, optical sounds somewhat dull and veiled. So which one is the "right" one? Frankly I don't know. I have another DAC with the usual cheapo 44.1/48 USB port and it's also little bit brigther than the optical. Anyways I feel more details with the hiFace (because of treble boost? or jitter smears details on optical? I have no idea), plus it plays 88.2/176.4/192 so I hang on it.

I couldn't hear volume difference, but after so much fuss about it I put a Radio Shack style Sound Level Meter in the front of my Goodmans speaker and measured 200, 2000 and 5000Hz sine wave test tones through optical and hiFace. The differences were +-0.1-0.2dBC so well within that cheap arse sound level meter's "accuracy". So with my DAC it sounds like there's no volume diff.

Regarding the AMD compatibility it's firmware difference, I've been told.

 


Humm, you're the third person with a MacBook that reported hearing no volume difference.... 

 

The difference I hear is noticeable enough that you don't need a SPL to verify it, so I guess you're just not hearing one.

 

I continue to feel that the treble boosted pseudo-details, do not capture the correct tone of instruments and vocals, relative to my other transport, the BCT.  This seems to be compounded by the 'masking effect' non-defeatable upsampling DACs can produce with some types of low jitter devices. 

 

In addition to my USB rig I also have a MB optical rig, but feel, even in that case, the optical out sounds more realistic than the pseudo-details the HF produces.  This is most noticeable to me with cymbals, drum kits, vocals and piano rendition, where the spiked treble changes the tone of the piano.  So, I would say it's the brightness that's not "right".

 

(was wondering what Sebhelyesfarku means in English? )

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post

Our buddy Marco refused to believe there was an AMD issue until lots of people complained,  he wants the customers to pay the shipping to and fro Italy.  You guys have been jabbing me about my position on Marco but I can tell you I am not the only one to be a bit disgusted my his treatment of customers.  I don't give M2Tech long,  business's don't last long with a person like that handling customer relations.

 

$20 for breaking open the case, unsoldering the small clock, soldering in a large clock, gluing it back together and the customer paying postage each way, sounds like something m2tech came up with to discourage exchanges...............  or maybe because they suddenly have a lot of time on their hands.

 

You still have no way of knowing what you're getting back, because if you open the case to check, you void your warranty.

 

And the part about sending money in the mail ......................................... 

 

USG
 

post #371 of 425

 

Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post

You still have no way of knowing what you're getting back, because if you open the case to check, you void your warranty.

 

And the part about sending money in the mail ......................................... 

 

That's what happens when an italian company coming out of nowhere boasts about low jitter, yet doesn't provide a single measurement...and ends its white paper by "trust your ears".

 

Now that the FOTM effect has evaporated, we'll see how good the EVO will do in shootouts...if any of them actually occurs

 

There hasn't been any proof that the clock size matters, and to find out which one you have you're forced to open it(thus voiding the warranty)...and break the law by sending cash in an enveloppe to have it swapped. This is getting pathetic, just like whining for bugfixes ends up in "it works fine here, good luck then".

post #372 of 425
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
 

That's what happens when an italian company coming out of nowhere boasts about low jitter, yet doesn't provide a single measurement...and ends its white paper by "trust your ears".

 

Now that the FOTM effect has evaporated, we'll see how good the EVO will do in shootouts...if any of them actually occurs

 

There hasn't been any proof that the clock size matters, and to find out which one you have you're forced to open it(thus voiding the warranty)...and break the law by sending cash in an enveloppe to have it swapped. This is getting pathetic, just like whining for bugfixes ends up in "it works fine here, good luck then".

 


Ahem !! 

post #373 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post

That's what happens when an italian company coming out of nowhere boasts about low jitter, yet doesn't provide a single measurement...and ends its white paper by "trust your ears".

 

Now that the FOTM effect has evaporated, we'll see how good the EVO will do in shootouts...if any of them actually occurs

 


EVO Shootouts.  Now that's an interesting topic.  With the cat out of the bag on how m2tech treats its customers, I wonder who'd be willing to buy an EVO.

 

USG

post #374 of 425

 

Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post


EVO Shootouts.  Now that's an interesting topic.


Everyone's selling $500 interfaces these days, but noone seems too willing to take one for the team and compare them all...and for the EVO, you have to add the price of a linear regulated DPS on top.

post #375 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post


Everyone's selling $500 interfaces these days, but noone seems too willing to take one for the team and compare them all...and for the EVO, you have to add the price of a linear regulated DPS on top.


One of the recommended power supplies by TweekGeek for the EVO actually costs MORE than the EVO! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › HiFace, sensitive information