or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)? - Page 7

post #91 of 406

 

Originally Posted by trancetunes View Post

Hmm.. When you say a cave I start to picture sound that is ..echoing, and distant..meaning, not rich at all.  However I thought the JVC's would sound "warmer" since they are not as open!

 

Man, this is really confusing me.  I am still torn.  For some reason even though it seems like the Koss PortaPro's might have a couple more advantages, something inside of me has been leaning towards the JVC.  Maybe my mind can't get around the fact that a smaller, open pair of headphones actually sounds better than bigger, closed headphones.  I'm not sure though.

 

Closed is not necessarily "warmer."  It's just louder.  Enclosing a driver lets you use the back wave to amplify the overall sound.  That's why there are band shells.  It's why the pre-electronic phonograph came with a horn.  It's why guitars, violins and cellos - among other instruments - have backs on them.  

 

The problem is that what you use as a back makes a difference in quality of the sound.  The ideal back would be one that doesn't color the sound.  There would still be a degradation, if only because the back wave would arrive slightly later than the front wave, but there are levels of distortion that are marginal and levels of distortion that wreak utter havoc.

 

Cheap closed headphones have plastic backs with little or no damping.  I used to wonder how manufacturers like Sennheiser can make such glorious headphones and such utter crap at the same time.  Why would Sennheiser, among others, go so cheap on such things as foam?  I suspect the motivation is twofold: First, if you're selling high-end headphones, you have good reason not to let the low-end versions sound too good.  Second, while the profit margin on the top cans seems wider, most of the headphones made and sold are cheap crap.  They're sold to people who don't hear much difference, if any.  They're expendable.  

 

When you consider the cost of manufacturing and shipping, the easiest way to widen the margins at the bottom end is to go cheap on both parts and labor.  Leaving out damping materials not only saves nickels off the bottom line; it saves labor.  The fewer steps it takes to make junk headphones, the  more units you can make with the least number of laborers.  This allows such companies to flood the market with cheap crap and leverage economies of scale.

 

The resonance qualities of plastic are none too great.  You can compensate with filler, but the better the filler, the more it ends up becoming a significant part of the cost of what was supposed to be a cheap headphone.

post #92 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post

I was impressed with the PortaPros - small phones, small price, surprisingly big sound.  You can get better headphones but not for $40.



Yeah, I can get better for $30

post #93 of 406

 

Originally Posted by Olimoronio View Post

Yeah, I can get better for $30

 

Well, speak up, Skippy.  We're all ears.

post #94 of 406

Portapros for their cult status and alround greatness. Superlux 668b if you want something resembling a neutral monitor. There's a good review of the Superlux over at headfonia.com

 

But man, stop thinking! Forget about the other models in your budget and just decide on the Superlux or Portapro. I have both. They're both great for what they are. Portapro for walking around, Superlux for computer-use. 

 

How on earth are you ever going to decide on a $150 purchase if $40 is already causing you this much mental discomfort. 


Edited by Negakinu - 7/23/10 at 12:53am
post #95 of 406
Thread Starter 

Lol Negakinu.  It's not as much the money as it is the lack of knowledge!!

 

Alright, so closed back at this price range will have less clarity.  Therefore the PortaPro probably has a bit more clarity.  The PortaPro apparently also has pretty damn nice bass for this price range.  It looks like I should really trust the majority of opinion I have gotten and go for PortaPro.


By the way, I would consider the 668B if it wasn't over my budget.  Unfortuately they sell for $45 before shipping and tax!  The PortaPro will be about 30 after tax, and I get free shipping right now on Amazon. 

 

It really does come down to the HARX700 and the PortaPro for me (unless Olimoronio was serious, and can find better headphones for $30).  Even if the HARX700 has better bass, I am sure it's not THAT much better than the PortaPro.  I think I am reaching a conclusion to this crazy dilemma.  Even though my mind has been stuck on the HARX700, I think it is only because they look more comfortable to wear, and like they would capture me more and put me more in my own world.  However, most of you seem to favor the PortaPro.  It seems like you might all agree that they would in fact put me in my own world over the HARX700.

 

I think I will be ordering any day now, so feel free to give any last input here.  Once again, thank you everyone for the advice!  I appreciate any I can get!  :)

post #96 of 406

I saw a sale for the Sony XB500's for $35 a couple days ago(it's $50 now). Might wanna consider those. But anything under 30, Portapro is the answer


Edited by David.M - 7/23/10 at 1:26pm
post #97 of 406

But you can't judge the HARX700's as a $30 closed back headphone, because they sound like a much more expensive headphone. I've never heard them, but I'll assume this is what all the fuss is about them. 

post #98 of 406
Thread Starter 

Lol.  David and MBM85 tearing me further apart!

 

I'm still really about unsure what I should do to be honest.. JVC HARX700 or Koss PortaPro, people?

post #99 of 406

You need to just do more of your own research about each phone and make up your own mind.  You will never get anywhere having other people make it up for you.  You have your list, search out and read the threads and reviews and decide.  It's that simple.  Maybe YOU need to decide better what you want from a phone.  No one can help you out there.

post #100 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

You need to just do more of your own research about each phone and make up your own mind.  You will never get anywhere having other people make it up for you.  You have your list, search out and read the threads and reviews and decide.  It's that simple.  Maybe YOU need to decide better what you want from a phone.  No one can help you out there.

Well, that's what I recommended earlier. Asking what headphone is best is a bad idea. Doing some research, you can get a general idea of the sound signature of each headphone, but whether you actually like the headphone when you get it is another story :) But, I personally don't think you can go wrong either way. As a general rule it's always better to go with the open headphone, if isolation isn't needed, but in this case perhaps the HARX700 is the better sounding headphone? I'm not sure. I think someone who has both needs to give their opinion here. I'm surprised nobody has yet.
 

post #101 of 406
Thread Starter 

Well to make things tougher for myself..I am now looking at Koss Portapro, JVC HARX700, and Superlux 681.

 

Superlux HD681:  http://www.rainbowguitars.com/recording/superlux/hd-681-semi-open-headphones/XHD681/SU

post #102 of 406

You want more bass, buy the JVC's. 

post #103 of 406

The Superlux is a 'Neutral Headphone' which means it can be perceived a bass light... That Superlux looks like a cheaper OEM of this headphone:

 

http://akg.com/personal/K_242_HD,pcatid,114,pid,837,_psmand,12.html

 

Which is made by AKG, a great company, but their headphones are definitely lacking in the bass department. It is semi-open however... one step closer to sounding as great as the PortaPro!

post #104 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenswall View Post

The Superlux is a 'Neutral Headphone' which means it can be perceived a bass light... That Superlux looks like a cheaper OEM of this headphone:

 

http://akg.com/personal/K_242_HD,pcatid,114,pid,837,_psmand,12.html

 

Which is made by AKG, a great company, but their headphones are definitely lacking in the bass department. It is semi-open however... one step closer to sounding as great as the PortaPro!

 

There has been quite a bit discussed on the difference between AKG and Superlux sound signatures.  I am also not sure if the Superlux is actually neutral or balanced.  I suspect the latter.
 

post #105 of 406
Thread Starter 

If someone can find the HD681B, that one is more bass oriented.  I just can't find it for sale anywhere!!

 

If I can't get the Superlux HD681B, I guess I will listen to you guys and assume it's lighter on bass than the JVC or Koss.  Which brings me back to researching those two.  I'll be making up my mind soon, I think, but feel free to keep the input coming.  Definitely let me know if you find the HD681B for sale anywhere.

 

PS--I live in New Jersey, USA.  So if you find it from a company outside of U.S. don't bother, because shipping rate will be way too high!  :)


Edited by trancetunes - 7/23/10 at 5:55pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)?