or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)? - Page 6

post #76 of 406

I've read somewhere Philips SHP 1900 is very good for its price. Oh, here it is: http://thoughtsinbinary.com/?p=306.

post #77 of 406

Porta Pros. Best of the 4 you listed, easily.

post #78 of 406

I was impressed with the PortaPros - small phones, small price, surprisingly big sound.  You can get better headphones but not for $40.

post #79 of 406
Thread Starter 

Has anyone owned both JVC HARX700 and Koss Portapro?  I would love to hear from someone that has experience from both!  Which one did you find to be better?  I want clear mids and highs, but I also want some nice bass!  It seems like JVC's might have more bass, but is it sacrificing the mids and highs a lot compared to the Koss headphones?  I know they both have decent bass, so if JVC loses out on mids and high's, I suppose I would be better off with Koss.   However, in terms of comfort and feel, I know the size and style of the JVC headphones will make me feel a little more in my own world since they cover more of the ear.  Right?  I am still also not sure if the higher impedance of Koss will affect my usage (Just a reminder--I won't be travelling with them.  These are just for my desktop at home, going straight into the headphone jack.).  Koss has 60 ohms impedance and JVC has 48 ohms.  Will they both be fine with the PC headphone jack?

 

Still torn!  Anyone here have experience with these?  What did you think?

post #80 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancetunes View Post

Has anyone owned both JVC HARX700 and Koss Portapro?  I would love to hear from someone that has experience from both!  Which one did you find to be better?  I want clear mids and highs, but I also want some nice bass!  It seems like JVC's might have more bass, but is it sacrificing the mids and highs a lot compared to the Koss headphones?  I know they both have decent bass, so if JVC loses out on mids and high's, I suppose I would be better off with Koss.   However, in terms of comfort and feel, I know the size and style of the JVC headphones will make me feel a little more in my own world since they cover more of the ear.  Right?  I am still also not sure if the higher impedance of Koss will affect my usage (Just a reminder--I won't be travelling with them.  These are just for my desktop at home, going straight into the headphone jack.).  Koss has 60 ohms impedance and JVC has 48 ohms.  Will they both be fine with the PC headphone jack?

 

Still torn!  Anyone here have experience with these?  What did you think?

 

Can't help with the JVC, but the sensitivity of the Koss is high enough that you don't need to worry. They're called Portapros for a reason. And again, you can mod the sound of the JVCs to your liking. It isn't that hard. And as said before, the Portapros have been around for more than 25 years and will likely continue to exist for years to come, whereas the JVCs will be discontinued and become unobtanium. I say go with the JVCs now for pure convenience, and Portapros eventually. But I do love my Portas and wouldn't trade them for anything...in its price range. I should stop I'm just confusing you even more.
 

post #81 of 406
Thread Starter 

Lol yea seriously!!  "Go for JVC...Koss is the best for its price range.  JVC is easier to mod.  I would never trade in my Koss's"

 

What are you doing to me!!!  Lol :D

 

Okay okay.. I have confirmed that my budget is okay, so I will go for the JVC!  I hope I am making the right choice man!!  Just make sure you get ready for me to ask you on how I can mod them.  This is all completely new territory for me.  Seriously, buying headphones is more difficult than buying and building my PC!! :P

 

FINAL WORDS ANYONE?  SHOULD I GET THE JVC HARX700 OVER THE KOSS PORTAPRO?  Last chance to give me your input!!  :)

 

Thanks!

post #82 of 406

I've owned JVC RX900 and the Koss KSC75 (which use the same drivers as the Portapro), and the KSC75 was much better in clarity, balance and openness. Overall I was very disappointed in the RX900; however, my opinion seems to be in the minority on these forums.

post #83 of 406
Thread Starter 

Man, seriously?  You're telling me the KSC75 was better than RX900..which means you are saying that a lower model portapro is better than a higher model rx700...WHY MUST THIS BE HAPPENING?!  LOL  Getting more torn up again.  =/

 

Anyway, I think I am still leaning towards the JVC HARX700..  Feel free to keep any last opinions coming, people!  :)

post #84 of 406

The JVC phones have plastic casing on the back... The PortaPro is not enclosed, it's pretty much a hanging speaker. This relates to a difference in sound; the JVC will sound like you are in a cave, I don't know how else to describe it, but it happens with most closed headphones when you compare them to open ones at this price. The PortaPro on the other hand is open, the sound can propagate freely, and it will sound bigger, more airy if you will... the sound is great, as well as the soundstage, it sounds bigger, though it is in fact smaller, does not make sense, but this is true of open headphones. Also consider the free lifetime warranty, a Koss exclusive.

post #85 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancetunes View Post

Man, seriously?  You're telling me the KSC75 was better than RX900..which means you are saying that a lower model portapro is better than a higher model rx700...WHY MUST THIS BE HAPPENING?!  LOL  Getting more torn up again.  =/

 

Anyway, I think I am still leaning towards the JVC HARX700..  Feel free to keep any last opinions coming, people!  :)


The KSC75 is actually better than the Portapro in my opinion...but I could never get a comfortable fit with them so I didn't want to add that to the list. The headband is the main selling point imo. Actually, there are a lot of people that prefer the RX700 to the RX900. And yeah, closed headphones in this price range tend to have somewhat of an "echo-ey" characteristic to them.

post #86 of 406
Thread Starter 

Hmm.. When you say a cave I start to picture sound that is ..echoing, and distant..meaning, not rich at all.  However I thought the JVC's would sound "warmer" since they are not as open!

 

Man, this is really confusing me.  I am still torn.  For some reason even though it seems like the Koss PortaPro's might have a couple more advantages, something inside of me has been leaning towards the JVC.  Maybe my mind can't get around the fact that a smaller, open pair of headphones actually sounds better than bigger, closed headphones.  I'm not sure though.

 

Hope some more of you can chime in on this... JVC HARX700 vs. Koss PortaPro.  Going to be using them in one spot, at my desktop.  Meaning, I am just going to plug them straight into the headphone jack of my PC.  I don't really want to have to do any modding or anything special.  I just want to buy them and have the best sounding headphones out of these two.  Bass is pretty important to me, but I don't want to sacrifice too much clarity in the other ranges!

post #87 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancetunes View Post

Hmm.. When you say a cave I start to picture sound that is ..echoing, and distant..meaning, not rich at all.  However I thought the JVC's would sound "warmer" since they are not as open!

 

Man, this is really confusing me.  I am still torn.  For some reason even though it seems like the Koss PortaPro's might have a couple more advantages, something inside of me has been leaning towards the JVC.  Maybe my mind can't get around the fact that a smaller, open pair of headphones actually sounds better than bigger, closed headphones.  I'm not sure though.

 

Hope some more of you can chime in on this... JVC HARX700 vs. Koss PortaPro.  Going to be using them in one spot, at my desktop.  Meaning, I am just going to plug them straight into the headphone jack of my PC.  I don't really want to have to do any modding or anything special.  I just want to buy them and have the best sounding headphones out of these two.  Bass is pretty important to me, but I don't want to sacrifice too much clarity in the other ranges!

 

The echo is because it's a closed headphone. Dispersion of backwaves and such. It's all technical stuff I don't want to bore you.

 

Okay, to completely understand why the soundstage is larger, you also have to understand how speakers/drivers work too. Just trust us on this.   Or an expert could chime in. I can never put it into words.

 

Use an external subwoofer? Haha. This is seriously probably the longest thread for headphones of this price in the history of Head-Fi. I wish I could help more, but I never saw the point in buying them, even though I was really close to last year. What's wrong with modding? It really doesn't take too much effort. Geeze kids today. Just kidding. I'm not in the position to make a "back in my day" joke, because "back in my day" wasn't long at all.

post #88 of 406
Thread Starter 

Alright.  It looks like I have some thinking to do.   I want the one that has more of - Rich deep bass with good clarity. 

 

So I guess you are saying the Koss PortaPro has those qualities more so than the JVC HARX700?  This is a really hard choice and I just want to hear something that makes me say, "Okay I know I want ______."

post #89 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancetunes View Post


So I guess you are saying the Koss PortaPro has those qualities more so than the JVC HARX700?  This is a really hard choice and I just want to hear something that makes me say, "Okay I know I want ______."


I'm not in a position to say either way. You won't get rich, deep bass (well, by most of our standards) at this price range to be frank. It's spendy to get good deep bass instead of loose bass.

post #90 of 406

I am not sure how the bass compares to the JVC, but the PortaPro has plenty (AKA LOTS) Bass and Sound-stage are the fortes of this 'phone. As for clarity, just know that any open-back headphone will thoroughly trounce a closed back one at most any given price point.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancetunes View Post

"...bass with good clarity."

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)?