or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)? - Page 20

post #286 of 406

So when they start malfunctioning, why not just send them back for replacement or repair?

post #287 of 406


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olimoronio View Post

There is nothing behind that spot exept for a small piece of foam and air. What is your source? Sounds more like a case of a bad jack.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olimoronio View Post

Also, have you tried putting them back together and giving them another listen yet? Could be the screws just came loose and the driver plate separated slightly from the cup and they were bleeding pressure. If this does turn out to be the problem then just get some low strength Loctite, apply to the screws and you should be set.

 

Multiple sources that work fine with other phones, so it's not that. I probably shouldn't have mentioned the spot I pointed out in the picture. That only "fixes" the issue by the consequent pressure it applies. I did put it back together with no success, but I'm guessing it might still be some kind of pressure issue. I have to look at it some more.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

So when they start malfunctioning, why not just send them back for replacement or repair?

 

I like fixing things myself, I'd rather not deal with the shipping if I don't have to, I'm changing addresses in a week... Numerous reasons.


Edited by Kraaken - 8/18/10 at 3:41pm
post #288 of 406

Got my Eskimo Control's today. Initial impressions here.

post #289 of 406

ljokerl's Maxell DHP ii review is up for anyone interested. I think he likes 'em.  Tied for best sound in the $0-$50 category.

post #290 of 406

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olimoronio View Post

Got my Eskimo Control's today. Initial impressions here.

 

Sorry you didn't like them so much. I finally remembered where I saw them first, at 32 Ohm Audio. They were probably half price because of the vents, they weren't selling so they let MS blow them out.

 

They look like they are all the same to me.

 

Screen shot 2010-09-01 at 2.41.41 AM.png

 

http://www.32ohmaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=63_64_94


Edited by grokit - 9/1/10 at 4:21am
post #291 of 406

Olimoronio - Did you ever figure out how to take apart the Maxell's? I found out the right cup isn't fitting tightly on my ear and when I press it against my ear, there's like a whooshing sound that fixed the sound difference but once I let go, the sound becomes unbalanced again. Is there a simple way of tightening it?

 

Thanks!

post #292 of 406

Just slip the pads off and you'll see the screws that you need to remove. Unscrew them and the driver baffle will come right apart from the cup just like on most full-sized headphones.

 

On the side that isn't fitting right - is the cup swiveling around properly? If it's stuck I could see that causing your problem.


Edited by Olimoronio - 9/4/10 at 5:53pm
post #293 of 406

Yeah, the cup swivels properly.  Maybe something with the frame got messed up cause sometimes I would only wear it on one ear so I could listen to other people talk. :x

post #294 of 406

Well, it's really hard to say without being able to see them. If you run out of ideas give me a PM. If you send them to me I could have a look. Even if it's something I can't fix I have an extra frame from a pair that I borrowed the drivers from for some experimenting. Shouldn't cost you more than $4 or $5 to ship and I'll ship 'em back on my dime. It's up to you.

 

Let me know.

post #295 of 406

Thanks man. I'll keep that in mind.

post #296 of 406

Has anyone tried the Koss UR-55 from best buy? I'm reading good things. They're only $50

post #297 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallows View Post

Has anyone tried the Koss UR-55 from best buy? I'm reading good things. They're only $50


I tried them. I feel as thought $50 could be better spent. 

post #298 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by mralexosborn View Post




I tried them. I feel as thought $50 could be better spent. 


Like on what? I think the sound is great for $50. So far I haven't found anything better for under $50. Certainly not from Sennheiser. I have not tried the Maxell headphones yet though, but will soon.

Did give the JVC RX900's a try, but sent those back. Right now my favorite is the Koss KSC75 with headband in the under $30 category and I prefer these (and the UR-55) to the Porta Pro. I think it's due to how they are a bit brighter then the Porta Pros.

I think it's because of the titanium drivers that the KSC75 has.

 

For right now If I had to use a headphone under $70 it'd be the Creative Aurvana Live or Koss UR-55. I haven't found anything else better yet.

 

For those that like Porta Pros, the UR-55's are even better to me, but that's just my opinion. I think though that the sound is more like the KSC75 and not so much the Porta Pro. KSC75 has perhaps less bass then the Porta Pro, but better midrange and highs. KSC75 is one good headphone and it's hard to believe they're just $20 or so. I suggest them for use with that cheap headband you can buy online.

post #299 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post




Like on what? I think the sound is great for $50. So far I haven't found anything better for under $50. Certainly not from Sennheiser. I have not tried the Maxell headphones yet though, but will soon.

Did give the JVC RX900's a try, but sent those back. Right now my favorite is the Koss KSC75 with headband in the under $30 category and I prefer these (and the UR-55) to the Porta Pro. I think it's due to how they are a bit brighter then the Porta Pros.

I think it's because of the titanium drivers that the KSC75 has.

 

For right now If I had to use a headphone under $70 it'd be the Creative Aurvana Live or Koss UR-55. I haven't found anything else better yet.

 

For those that like Porta Pros, the UR-55's are even better to me, but that's just my opinion. I think though that the sound is more like the KSC75 and not so much the Porta Pro. KSC75 has perhaps less bass then the Porta Pro, but better midrange and highs. KSC75 is one good headphone and it's hard to believe they're just $20 or so. I suggest them for use with that cheap headband you can buy online.

Well I tried them on in Best Buy for a couple minutes so I didn't really get any "intimate" time with them but I even enjoyed my IEM's (SuperFi 5vi) more than the UR55. I got them for $50.The UR55 sounded better than iBuds but I couldn't find anything that made me say wow. Just my opinion, nothing more. 

post #300 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by mralexosborn View Post



Well I tried them on in Best Buy for a couple minutes so I didn't really get any "intimate" time with them but I even enjoyed my IEM's (SuperFi 5vi) more than the UR55. I got them for $50.The UR55 sounded better than iBuds but I couldn't find anything that made me say wow. Just my opinion, nothing more. 

 

No problem, I was only curious. I do think they're worth more then a trial at Best Buy. I did notice that straight out of the box they sound a bit muffled at first, but it goes away after burn-in. I always wanted to try the SuperFi 5, but coming from the TF10, I may be a bit disappointed, so who knows. I basically want something a bit smaller that sounds good for use during exercise.

 

BTW I just got back from Best Buy and picked up the UR-40. It's funny because I bought these from my coinstar coin return money and a $10 reward zone coupon. The fact they use KSC75 drivers doesn't give me much hope that they'll be all at impressive. I like the KSC75, but the drivers seem too tiny for such a big headphone. I guess an open headphone version of the KSC75 sounds interesting. I'm hoping the drivers are at least a bigger version of the ones in the KSC75! Those titanium Koss drivers sound pretty good.
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)?