DOWN DOWN Best Buy.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productDBI Pro 700tagged by System, 7/28/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/20/10
- brandKosstagged by System, 7/20/10
- productKoss PortaPro 25th Anniversary Edition Headphonestagged by System, 7/20/10
- productKoss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open )tagged by System, 7/20/10
- productKoss PortaPro Headphones with Casetagged by System, 7/20/10
- brandMaxelltagged by System, 9/21/10
- productMaxell DHP-II Digital Full Size Headphonetagged by System, 9/21/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/20/10
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 7/20/10More
- productSennheiser HD-202 Closed Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 7/20/10
- productSennheiser HD 202 Headphonestagged by System, 7/20/10
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Need help to get headphones - Novice in Head-Fi land.... Last post on 2/19/12 at 1:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Cheap Durable Full Sized Headphones under US$50 Last post on 9/18/11 at 7:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- Quick question about the 'koss portapro' Last post on 9/12/10 at 6:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- whats better then Portapros Last post on 9/4/10 at 11:01am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Yesterday
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Preamble: Advanced AcousticWerkes, in short known as AAW, is a Singapore based audio product manufacturer best known for custom-moulded in-ear monitors (CIEMs). Not long ago, they have...
The Soundaware Esther M1Pro provides a immersive sound experience held down by its dated interface and firmware. Its like driving a luxury car with all its comfort but with a dated design...
I am lucky. Very lucky. As I listened last Sunday to the i5, not only did we have the first good (not hard, but good) freeze of the Fall, but since I had been up since just before sunrise, I was...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be checking out the Bluetooth version of Mee Audio's classic budget earphone, the M9B. Mee Audio, formerly MEElectronics, has been around since 2005 and is...
I got the honour of being part of the C1 World Tour .Thank you for the opportunity Micah and the RHA Team. Selflessly our Tour Organiser , @glassmonkey gave me the chance to unwrap this...
The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)? - Page 15post #211 of 4067/31/10 at 4:39pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #212 of 4067/31/10 at 4:44pm
My best buy had the Porta Pro's on display a few months ago, but this month the demo unit has been replaced with the UR-55 and the Porta Pros are no longer being sold in my store. That's too bad. The UR-55s are better to me anyway, but they're not exactly the most portable headphone ever. My store doesn't sell any UR-40s. I think my local Wal-Mart does though.post #213 of 4067/31/10 at 6:01pmpost #214 of 4067/31/10 at 8:30pmQuote:
No. Mine does.
I saw some Portapros out and played with them. Not my thing at all. Felt really cheap, kept changing firmness setting everytime I handled them and the band sux and likes grabbing and pinching hair.post #215 of 4067/31/10 at 8:30pmpost #216 of 4068/1/10 at 4:40amQuote:Originally Posted by beamthegreat
I hope im not too late but IMO definately get the portapros!!!!! I demoed them on a convention today and it made my jaw dropped. Seriously!!!! My setup cost around 2000$ and the portapros sounded about 85% as good as my setup!!! I immediately bought one as a back up unit in case my HD 800 fails. Its that good!!!
Macbook pro -> Carat Ruby MKII DAC -> AMB M^3 amplfier -> HD 800
Terry Pratchett once wrote that the use of more than two exclamation marks at the end of a sentence is the first sign of the author's insanity and/or mental instability. By reading posts like that I know he was right.post #217 of 4068/2/10 at 6:36pmThread Starterpost #218 of 4068/2/10 at 7:08pmpost #219 of 4068/2/10 at 7:44pmQuote:
Quite right. I know nothing about the exclamation mark comment, but thinking the Portapros are 85% of an HD800 is definitely a sign of instability.
post #220 of 4068/2/10 at 10:03pm
I find it interesting that OP jumped on the Maxells just because of one man's opinion. A convincing man, I'll admit, but just one man--and one that doesn't take kindly to accusations and finds it hard to backup his claims. Despite the hundreds, if not thousands of satisfied users of the JVCs and the PortaPros, as demonstrated by a HUGE showing online, OP opts for the DHP-IIs. I've yet to find more than three favorable reviews of the Maxells, because NO ONE has them. In fact, if Amazon counts, I've seen more negative ones.
I'm not saying the Maxells aren't any good, but for all we know, they could sound awful. I would take Oli's advice with a grain of salt. And I certainly wouldn't trust his opinion on how these are far "superior" to any of the other options out there; he hasn't taken the time to describe the actual differences in sound, other than the occasional cryptic "I'd throw ___ in the river, these are so good." This is just one perspective you're hearing from--the JVCs have dozens of threads out there, a "cult" following, and mods galore. I just think your $30 could have been spent more wisely.
Edited by Xombie11 - 8/2/10 at 10:13pmpost #221 of 4068/2/10 at 10:18pm
Just because a product isn't popular doesn't mean it's not good. I have the Maxells. I've also heard every or almost every headphone mentioned so far in this thread and the Maxells would definitely rank near the top.
The problem with 'cult followings' is that they don't change with the times. The PortaPros are good headphones but I hate seeing a barrage of portapro (or RX700 or PX100) recommendations every time a budget headphone thread comes up. It really doesn't give newer models the chance to gain a foothold in the consciousness of the community.post #222 of 4068/2/10 at 10:42pmpost #223 of 4068/3/10 at 12:49am
The portapro's has always been the ordinary man's portable hifi-headphones. They sound great compared to the stock headphones coming with mp3 players. That's why we see so many wearing them on the subway and bus etc.
I remember I bought myself portapro's for my first MP3 player, a Samsung Yepp in year 2000. It was a real upgrade.post #224 of 4068/3/10 at 12:49amThread Starter
From what I understand the HD202 has horrible bass. It's there, but it's not as finely tuned as other choices.
As far as my trusting Olimoronio on the Maxell DHP-II goes..Well, I spent some time looking at his posts around the forums, and he has apparently had a fair share of experience with other budget headphones. Time and time again he has come back saying the Maxells were the best. Not to mention the other couple of members on these forums that came back happy. I know the PortaPro's are good. I definitely am not denying that. This whole time I knew that they were going to be my option to fall back on. I just really preferred a headphone that covered the ear to be honest, and apparently the Maxell's compete quiet well with the PortaPro. According to Olimoronio and others, they are even better (what was really nice is that he and others also compared them to my choices listed during this thread)! After a long discussion over this, my instinct finally kicked in as well, and I feel comfortable with the Maxell's now.
- The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary) 6 seconds ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 1 minute ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 1 minute ago
- › Upcoming DAP from xDuoo - the X10! 1 minute ago
- › DIY Cable Gallery!! 2 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › "Open Alpha" T50 3D printed headphone project from MrSpeakers 2 minutes ago
- › Aune M2 | AK4490 Dac | Class A amp | Dual Crystek USA Clocks | 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 3 minutes ago
- › CANT DECIDE BETWEEN 3 TOP UNDER $200 HEADPHONES. VMODA VS SONY VS... 3 minutes ago
- › AAW Nebula One Titanium Diaphragm In-Ear Monitor by HiFiChris
- › Soundaware Esther by tassardar
- › Cayin i5 by ngoshawk
- › MEE audio M9B Bluetooth Wireless Noise-Isolating In-Ear Stereo... by B9Scrambler
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Takeanidea
- › Parasound Zpre zone preamplifier by snellemin
- › Campfire Audio Vega by Jackpot77
- › EarSonics Velvet by SeeSax
- › Tony Bennett TBSE1 Signature Edition Headphone - Black/Silver by DJ The Rocket
- › Accutone Pisces Digital In-Ear Headset - Retail Packaging -... by mark2410
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear