DOWN DOWN Best Buy.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productDBI Pro 700tagged by System, 7/28/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/20/10
- brandKosstagged by System, 7/20/10
- productKoss PortaPro 25th Anniversary Edition Headphonestagged by System, 7/20/10
- productKoss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open )tagged by System, 7/20/10
- productKoss PortaPro Headphones with Casetagged by System, 7/20/10
- brandMaxelltagged by System, 9/21/10
- productMaxell DHP-II Digital Full Size Headphonetagged by System, 9/21/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/20/10
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 7/20/10More
- productSennheiser HD-202 Closed Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 7/20/10
- productSennheiser HD 202 Headphonestagged by System, 7/20/10
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Need help to get headphones - Novice in Head-Fi land.... Last post on 2/19/12 at 1:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Cheap Durable Full Sized Headphones under US$50 Last post on 9/18/11 at 7:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- Quick question about the 'koss portapro' Last post on 9/12/10 at 6:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- whats better then Portapros Last post on 9/4/10 at 11:01am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I have been using this for over a year now and use it nearly daily. Extremely versatile component can be used not only for mobile play, but also line out to my receiver (don't yet have funds for...
I purchased these headphones based on reviews, specifications, and looks and I am not disappointed in the least. The initial comfort for the headphones was good, but it took some adjusting to stop...
Disclaimer: The Noble Kaiser Encore sample was provided to me by Noble for the purposes of this review. The Noble K10 was my first Multi-BA earphone. While it might not be the as good as the...
For me the Encore shares the same sound signature as its predecessor Noble Kaiser K-10. There are already 31- K-10 reviews on H.F. including mine. Read what is written about the K-10, then think...
Sorry if my english is not so good. I bought this several days ago (200 euro) so I cannot post an opinion about durability. I use this dac/amp just on pc for everyday use: movies, voice,...
The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)? - Page 15post #211 of 4067/31/10 at 4:39pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #212 of 4067/31/10 at 4:44pm
My best buy had the Porta Pro's on display a few months ago, but this month the demo unit has been replaced with the UR-55 and the Porta Pros are no longer being sold in my store. That's too bad. The UR-55s are better to me anyway, but they're not exactly the most portable headphone ever. My store doesn't sell any UR-40s. I think my local Wal-Mart does though.post #213 of 4067/31/10 at 6:01pmpost #214 of 4067/31/10 at 8:30pmQuote:
No. Mine does.
I saw some Portapros out and played with them. Not my thing at all. Felt really cheap, kept changing firmness setting everytime I handled them and the band sux and likes grabbing and pinching hair.post #215 of 4067/31/10 at 8:30pmpost #216 of 4068/1/10 at 4:40amQuote:Originally Posted by beamthegreat
I hope im not too late but IMO definately get the portapros!!!!! I demoed them on a convention today and it made my jaw dropped. Seriously!!!! My setup cost around 2000$ and the portapros sounded about 85% as good as my setup!!! I immediately bought one as a back up unit in case my HD 800 fails. Its that good!!!
Macbook pro -> Carat Ruby MKII DAC -> AMB M^3 amplfier -> HD 800
Terry Pratchett once wrote that the use of more than two exclamation marks at the end of a sentence is the first sign of the author's insanity and/or mental instability. By reading posts like that I know he was right.post #217 of 4068/2/10 at 6:36pmThread Starterpost #218 of 4068/2/10 at 7:08pmpost #219 of 4068/2/10 at 7:44pmQuote:
Quite right. I know nothing about the exclamation mark comment, but thinking the Portapros are 85% of an HD800 is definitely a sign of instability.
post #220 of 4068/2/10 at 10:03pm
I find it interesting that OP jumped on the Maxells just because of one man's opinion. A convincing man, I'll admit, but just one man--and one that doesn't take kindly to accusations and finds it hard to backup his claims. Despite the hundreds, if not thousands of satisfied users of the JVCs and the PortaPros, as demonstrated by a HUGE showing online, OP opts for the DHP-IIs. I've yet to find more than three favorable reviews of the Maxells, because NO ONE has them. In fact, if Amazon counts, I've seen more negative ones.
I'm not saying the Maxells aren't any good, but for all we know, they could sound awful. I would take Oli's advice with a grain of salt. And I certainly wouldn't trust his opinion on how these are far "superior" to any of the other options out there; he hasn't taken the time to describe the actual differences in sound, other than the occasional cryptic "I'd throw ___ in the river, these are so good." This is just one perspective you're hearing from--the JVCs have dozens of threads out there, a "cult" following, and mods galore. I just think your $30 could have been spent more wisely.
Edited by Xombie11 - 8/2/10 at 10:13pmpost #221 of 4068/2/10 at 10:18pm
Just because a product isn't popular doesn't mean it's not good. I have the Maxells. I've also heard every or almost every headphone mentioned so far in this thread and the Maxells would definitely rank near the top.
The problem with 'cult followings' is that they don't change with the times. The PortaPros are good headphones but I hate seeing a barrage of portapro (or RX700 or PX100) recommendations every time a budget headphone thread comes up. It really doesn't give newer models the chance to gain a foothold in the consciousness of the community.post #222 of 4068/2/10 at 10:42pmpost #223 of 4068/3/10 at 12:49am
The portapro's has always been the ordinary man's portable hifi-headphones. They sound great compared to the stock headphones coming with mp3 players. That's why we see so many wearing them on the subway and bus etc.
I remember I bought myself portapro's for my first MP3 player, a Samsung Yepp in year 2000. It was a real upgrade.post #224 of 4068/3/10 at 12:49amThread Starter
From what I understand the HD202 has horrible bass. It's there, but it's not as finely tuned as other choices.
As far as my trusting Olimoronio on the Maxell DHP-II goes..Well, I spent some time looking at his posts around the forums, and he has apparently had a fair share of experience with other budget headphones. Time and time again he has come back saying the Maxells were the best. Not to mention the other couple of members on these forums that came back happy. I know the PortaPro's are good. I definitely am not denying that. This whole time I knew that they were going to be my option to fall back on. I just really preferred a headphone that covered the ear to be honest, and apparently the Maxell's compete quiet well with the PortaPro. According to Olimoronio and others, they are even better (what was really nice is that he and others also compared them to my choices listed during this thread)! After a long discussion over this, my instinct finally kicked in as well, and I feel comfortable with the Maxell's now.
- The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 33 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › USB Strikes Back! Watch out AOIP - USB/Ethernet Chain beats All... 1 minute ago
- › Introducing NightOwl Carbon & NightHawk Carbon. Next Generation... 1 minute ago
- › The NEW Headphone Lounge Thread 1 minute ago
- › Cowon Plenue P1 1 minute ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 3 minutes ago
- › oBravo Planar Magnetic Earphones Land in UK 3 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 3 minutes ago
- › B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by mokler
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by mokler
- › Noble Audio Encore Universal flagship in-ear monitor by WCDchee
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Saraguie
- › Hifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifier by td2004
- › Blue Ever Blue Model 1001 by B9Scrambler
- › Brainwavz B150 by dnun8086
- › SONY digital audio player Walkman NW-WM1Z N (Gold) by Whitigir
- › iFi Micro iDAC2 USB DAC/HP Amp by Sil3nce
- › HRT - MicroStreamer - High Performance External USB Soundcard and... by Sil3nce
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear