or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)? - Page 2

post #16 of 406
Thread Starter 

I know this sounds strange, but that is not really an option for me.  You see, I am a student living at home with my parents.  My birthday is coming up soon, and I want to ask them if they can get them for me.  I know they will not feel okay about buying headphones that are over $40 incl. shipping/tax. So I do appreciate that concern, but please consider the guidelines I have presented.  :)

 

 So far, in addition to my pick of the Sennheiser HD 202/203, I have seen the DBI 700 Pro on eBay (possibly sketchy though!).  Therefore, I would like to know what people think about the HD 202 or 203, or if there is a better $30-$40 (incl. shipping/tax) option.

 

Thanks again!  Please remember to consider that price.  :)

post #17 of 406
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post




Let me repost what I said for you:

 

"The 700's approach the M50 tier if not surpass it depending on who you ask."


 

 

I do not understand why you are telling me that the 700's approach the M50 tier, though.  None of those are an option for me.  I only have $30-$40 USD!
 

---------------------------------------------------

 

I know this sounds strange, but that is not really an option for me.  You see, I am a student living at home with my parents.  My birthday is coming up soon, and I want to ask them if they can get them for me.  I know they will not feel okay about buying headphones that are over $40 incl. shipping/tax. So I do appreciate that concern, but please consider the guidelines I have presented.  :)

 

 So far, in addition to my pick of the Sennheiser HD 202/203, I have seen the DBI 700 Pro on eBay (possibly sketchy though!).  Therefore, I would like to know what people think about the HD 202 or 203, or if there is a better $30-$40 (incl. shipping/tax) option.

 

Thanks again!  Please remember to consider that price.  :)


Edited by trancetunes - 7/20/10 at 4:56pm
post #18 of 406

What he's saying is that the DBIs are as good as the M50s except they are available in your price range. I can also confirm that the DBIs are a steal. They completely trounce the porta pros and are in the same league as my HFI 780s (which cost over $100 more).

post #19 of 406
Thread Starter 

Oh wow, yea sorry I am an idiot.  I thought he was talking about HD 700's or something!  Haha, sorry Anaxilus!!!

 

Okay, so as far as you guys are concerned, if I can get the DBI 700, I should.  Just in case I don't want to get those (because I am hearing bad things about the seller right now even on this website), what should be my next choice in that price range?  That is really important to me right now as well.  Thanks!! :)

post #20 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancetunes View Post

Hi, can you give me a little more info on why you lean towards them?  Have you ever gotten a personal change to use them?  Perhaps even a personal chance to compare them to the Senn's I mentioned?

 

Thanks again!  :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Edit:  Looks like someone from this forum has experience with that seller and those headphones!

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/503004/bought-dbi-pro-700-off-ebay-received-mb-quart

 

Doesn't seem too positive :X

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Second Edit:  Wow, I had no idea how expensive these are otherwise.  For $40 on eBay it's hard to look past!  I also saw more reviews on the actual seller's page, and most are happy customers.

 

Anyone else please let me know your views on the Sennheiser 202 or 203, as well as the DBI Pro 700 that Anaxilus has mentioned.  I'm just going to say this, though--$40 is my absolute limit (including shipping/tax).

 

Thanks!  Looking forward to see what everyone thinks.  :)

 

Ick, I downright hated the HD202s. The bass was huge, but not good quality. It was just bloated. I'd imagine dampening would fix it, but it was a friend's pair I tried out (It was strange. I've never seen the HD202s in a store, so she must have done some research. Obviously not enough) so I couldn't mod it.

 

I don't really see what the OP in that thread is complaining about. He actually ended up with pretty nice, but hardish to drive, headphones. Whatever he's saying is because there's not enough power for them.

 

Don't think size matters. My IEMs (in ear headphones/monitors if you don't know the acronym.) are the bassiest headphones I own, and my largest headphones (AKG K271) have the least bass for example. The Portapros are wonderful headphones in their own right, and you won't be able to get much in your price range to begin with. Would it kill you to raise your budget? In all seriousness, I've heard good things about the Superlux HD681. Especially from the Rock Grotto guys.

 

EDIT: Wow, leave the computer for half an hour and you miss everything! Okay, I'm guessing I'm around your age and I used the "Well music makes me happy so let me buy my own headphones or drugs" excuse successfully. The HD681 is probably the only other nice option for $40 if you don't want to use my excuse haha. I love my Portapros, but they don't perform that much over the price range. I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT220s for about $26, but they like amps.
 


Edited by Ishcabible - 7/20/10 at 5:18pm
post #21 of 406
Thread Starter 

I'll have to read through that thread again in that case.  I am using them for my home PC which has a 750 watt power supply, so I would imagine that my sound/headphone jack will receive enough power for whatever I throw in there.

 

Alright, so far it seems like everyone agree's the DBI Pro 700 for $40 is too good to turn down.  If I am not mistaken, Ishcabible is saying that the Superlux HD681, or Koss PortaPro is a better headphone than the HD 202 from what he knows.  BTW, Ishcabible, I'll check out those Superlux HD681's as well.

 

What does everyone else think?  I think I can see the DBI 700 should be my #1 choice, but if I feel like going for the next choice, what should it be?  Koss PortaPro, Superlux HD681, Sennheiser HD 202/203, or something else?

 

I really appreciate this input.  Thanks :)


Edited by trancetunes - 7/20/10 at 5:23pm
post #22 of 406

The ebay seller you're concerned about isn't the only seller for the DBI's, but there's none on ebay right now, so you might have to wait awhile if you choose those. The Superlux HD668B is another one you might want to check out. It's more neutral than the HD681

post #23 of 406


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancetunes View Post

I'll have to read through that thread again in that case.  I am using them for my home PC which has a 750 watt power supply, so I would imagine that my sound/headphone jack will receive enough power for whatever I throw in there.

 

Alright, so far it seems like everyone agree's the DBI Pro 700 for $40 is too good to turn down.  If I am not mistaken, Ishcabible is saying that the Superlux HD681, or Koss PortaPro is a better headphone than the HD 202 from what he knows.  BTW, Ishcabible, I'll check out those Superlux HD681's as well.

 

What does everyone else think?  I think I can see the DBI 700 should be my #1 choice, but if I feel like going for the next choice, what should it be?  Koss PortaPro, Superlux HD681, Sennheiser HD 202/203, or something else?

 

I really appreciate this input.  Thanks :)


The wattage of your computer has absolutely nothing to do with the soundcard's sound. Onboard sound usually sounds...pathetic.

 

And the HD202s really aren't anything to consider to be frank. Imo, they're worth $10-$15 at the most.

post #24 of 406

Bose Triports!

 

Oh wait, they look/sound like $30 headphones, but sell for $180.

post #25 of 406
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM85 View Post

The ebay seller you're concerned about isn't the only seller for the DBI's, but there's none on ebay right now, so you might have to wait awhile if you choose those. The Superlux HD668B is another one you might want to check out. It's more neutral than the HD681


Checking out the HD668B.

 

 

Ishcabible, thanks for letting me know about the HD202.  What does everyone else think?  Aside from the DBI Pro 700 for $40, what is the next best option?  $40 is my absolute limit including shipping and tax.  Does everyone agree that Superlux is the next best way to go?

 

Thanks :)

post #26 of 406

How about JVC HA-RX700,JVC HA-S700, Maxell DHP-II

post #27 of 406
Thread Starter 

Thanks MBM85.  I checked those choices out, and I'd have to say that I would choose the JVC HA-RX700 over the other two.

 

About the DBI 700's, they aren't available on eBay anymore, for now at least.  That being said, it's down to:

 

1.  Superlux HD681  (Can anyone find the HD681 B??  After looking at their website, I would really like those ones if they are around for $40 or less).

 

2.  JVC HA-RX700

 

3.  Sennheiser 202/203

 

4.  Koss PortaPro

 

 

Opinions?  I'm so torn/confused.  I am totally new when it comes to the world of headphones!  Which of these choices is the best?  If you have another choice which you think beats these 4, please let me know!   Thanks.  :)

post #28 of 406


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancetunes View Post

Thanks MBM85.  I checked those choices out, and I'd have to say that I would choose the JVC HA-RX700 over the other two.

 

About the DBI 700's, they aren't available on eBay anymore, for now at least.  That being said, it's down to:

 

1.  Superlux HD681  (Can anyone find the HD681 B??  After looking at their website, I would really like those ones if they are around for $40 or less).

 

2.  JVC HA-RX700

 

3.  Sennheiser 202/203

 

4.  Koss PortaPro

 

 

Opinions?  I'm so torn/confused.  I am totally new when it comes to the world of headphones!  Which of these choices is the best?  If you have another choice which you think beats these 4, please let me know!   Thanks.  :)


Probably out of your league, but if you have any over ear headphone, SFI orthodynamics are quite nice, but for your average person, that's pretty much it unless you get lucky. Maybe look for used Jays V-Jays? (yes, that is their name.) I'm not really experienced in this price range. I've been hearing lots from the DHPs though. And tdockweiler or however you spell it has been raving about the UR55.

post #29 of 406

I think you should just pick up the PortaPros and be done with it.  They are considered classics for good reason (I'd say most of us started with a pair and probably still have one despite moving on to greener pastures).  Tough to beat for 30-40 bucks and come with probably the greatest warranty ever (repairs/replacements no questions asked).   

post #30 of 406

i will say one thing, this is the most deliberation i've ever seen over a $30 set of headphones. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)?