Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)?

post #1 of 406
Thread Starter 

Hi everyone, this is my first post!

 

Like the title says, I need input on the best headphones I can get for $30 USD or less.  So far I had/have narrowed it down to the Koss PortaPro or Sennheiser HD 202/203  (203 is actually $35).  However, it seemed like the Koss PortaPro could not possibly sound as good as the Sennheiser HD 202/203 when I look at the size, and reviews on how awesome the bass is with Senn's.  Koss and Sennheiser are good companies, so I know the clarity is probably pretty good for both, so from there my next concern is bass.  I want good, rich, deep, full range bass (or as good as $30 can get!).

 

So, what does everyone think?  Is the Sennheiser 202/203 the best, or are there better options?  Please let me know?

 

BTW Amazon has the Sennheiser 202 Intense.. What is the difference between 202 Intense and regular 202??

 

Thanks so much, I look forward to getting some advice!  :)

 

 

PS:  Here are links to the ones I mentioned

 

Koss PortaPro:
http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-Headphones-with-Case/dp/B00001P4ZH

 

Sennheiser HD 202 Intense (as opposed to regular HD 202 I guess?):

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-202-Intense-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B00009QH78

 

Sennheiser HD 202:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-202-Headphones/dp/B000065BP9

 

Sennheiser HD 203:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Closed-Around--Studio-Headphones/dp/B003LRN53I


Edited by trancetunes - 11/26/13 at 9:30pm
post #2 of 406

DBI pro700 if you can still find them on Ebay fo $29.

post #3 of 406
Thread Starter 

Hi, can you give me a little more info on why you lean towards them?  Have you ever gotten a personal change to use them?  Perhaps even a personal chance to compare them to the Senn's I mentioned?

 

Thanks again!  :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Edit:  Looks like someone from this forum has experience with that seller and those headphones!

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/503004/bought-dbi-pro-700-off-ebay-received-mb-quart

 

Doesn't seem too positive :X

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Second Edit:  Wow, I had no idea how expensive these are otherwise.  For $40 on eBay it's hard to look past!  I also saw more reviews on the actual seller's page, and most are happy customers.

 

Anyone else please let me know your views on the Sennheiser 202 or 203, as well as the DBI Pro 700 that Anaxilus has mentioned.  I'm just going to say this, though--$40 is my absolute limit (including shipping/tax).

 

Thanks!  Looking forward to see what everyone thinks.  :)


Edited by trancetunes - 7/20/10 at 2:19pm
post #4 of 406
Thread Starter 

Bump and..

 

I forgot to mention, I will be using these basically for times that I cannot use my PC speakers.  I won't really be travelling or using them professionally or something heh..

 

Thanks, I hope some more of you can give the input I am looking for!  :)

post #5 of 406

careful about that dbi pro on e-bay,  another member from here ordered that and got something else :>

post #6 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by David.M View Post

careful about that dbi pro on e-bay,  another member from here ordered that and got something else :>


Are you talking about the member that's already linked in this thread?  I haven't heard any other bad experiences and many long time members have the ebay DBI's.  

post #7 of 406
Thread Starter 

..see my next post down..


Edited by trancetunes - 7/20/10 at 4:35pm
post #8 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post




Are you talking about the member that's already linked in this thread?  I haven't heard any other bad experiences and many long time members have the ebay DBI's.  


I'm talking about that thread that shintz made yesterday.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/503004/bought-dbi-pro-700-off-ebay-received-mb-quart

 

He bought some DBI-Pro's from e-bay, but he received smth like the MB-Qart or whatever that phone is called.

post #9 of 406
Thread Starter 

I think about 2 things when it comes to those DBI's.. 1)  That is a damn good deal.  2)  They might be a little too "serious" for me.  They really look like professional headphones, and that they would be overkill for what I need.  Is that true?  Even if it is, should I not really care about that and get them because they are the best I'll get for around this range?  I won't be moving around with them so..  Also, even if you think they are the best deal, please give a second choice in case the seller runs out of them etc!  Thanks!

 

I have been really leaning towards the Sennheiser HD 202 and 203, but if the DBI is an unbeatable deal, I don't mind going for it I guess.   What does everyone think?

 

I want something with real nice quality bass, and obviously good clarity.  I know I won't get the greatest headphones for $30-$40, but I think you get what I mean.  

 

THE BEST $30-$40 (incl. shipping/tax) or under headphones (keeping in mind that I like good bass and want clarity etc--sorry I am new to the headphone crowd).  :P

 

Thanks, I appreciate this help  :)


Edited by trancetunes - 7/20/10 at 4:33pm
post #10 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by David.M View Post

I'm talking about that thread that shintz made yesterday.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/503004/bought-dbi-pro-700-off-ebay-received-mb-quart

 

He bought some DBI-Pro's from e-bay, but he received smth like the MB-Qart or whatever that phone is called.


Yeah thats the one from this thread.  He's the only member I've seen complaints from.

post #11 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancetunes View Post

I think about 2 things when it comes to those DBI's.. 1)  That is a damn good deal.  2)  They might be a little too "serious" for me.  They really look like professional headphones, and that they would be overkill for what I need.  Is that true?  Even if it is, should I not really care about that and get them because they are the best I'll get for around this range?  I won't be moving around with them so..  Also, even if you think they are the best deal, please give a second choice in case the seller runs out of them etc!  Thanks!

 

I have been really leaning towards the Sennheiser HD 202 and 203, but if the DBI is an unbeatable deal, I don't mind going for it I guess.   What does everyone think?

 

I want something with real nice quality bass, and obviously good clarity.  I know I won't get the greatest headphones for $30-$40, but I think you get what I mean.  

 

THE BEST $30-$40 (incl. shipping/tax) or under headphones (keeping in mind that I like good bass and want clarity etc--sorry I am new to the headphone crowd).  :P

 

Thanks, I appreciate this help  :)


Put it this way, my M50's eat the Sennheiser 238 for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I could only imagine what would happen to the 202 and 203.  The 700's approach the M50 tier if not surpass it depending on who you ask.  You are comparing a BMW to a Kia here.  Again, my 700's are burning in atm so I'm not gonna juice them yet.  I can hear the clarity and detail, bass quality and bass quantity is average/neutral so far.  Can't tell which until tomorrow.

post #12 of 406
Thread Starter 

Well, I appreciate the input, but the M50's are way over my budget, so I am not sure what you are trying to say.  I understand that I am not getting headphones that can compete with a $110 dollar set.  I am simply looking for the best $30-$40 (incl. shipping/tax) option.  :)

 

Any other input based off of that?  I'd really like to hear!  Thanks :D

post #13 of 406

Sennheiser HD497

post #14 of 406

What he is saying is save your money a bit longer, get some nicer low-price range headphones (like the all purpose ATH-M50) and you won`t have to upgrade so soon. Buy once and be happy.

post #15 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancetunes View Post

Well, I appreciate the input, but the M50's are way over my budget, so I am not sure what you are trying to say.  I understand that I am not getting headphones that can compete with a $110 dollar set.  I am simply looking for the best $30-$40 (incl. shipping/tax) option.  :)

 

Any other input based off of that?  I'd really like to hear!  Thanks :D


Let me repost what I said for you:

 

"The 700's approach the M50 tier if not surpass it depending on who you ask."

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)?