- 23 Posts. Joined 8/2013
- Location: Kansas City, Overland Park
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudioengine A2 Premium Powered Desktop Speaker Pair (White)tagged by System, 5/28/12
- productAudioengine A5 Powered Multimedia Speaker System (Black)tagged by System, 5/28/12
- categoryComputer Audiotagged by System, 5/28/12
- categoryComputer Speakerstagged by System, 5/28/12
- productCreative GigaWorks T40 Series II 2.0 Multimedia Speaker System with BasXPort Technolgytagged by System, 5/28/12
- productCreative Labs GigaWorks T20 Series II 2.0 Multimedia Speaker System with BasXPort Technologytagged by System, 5/28/12
- productD1080MKII 08tagged by System, 5/28/12
- productLogitech Speaker System Z520 (Black)tagged by System, 5/28/12
- productM-Audio BX-5 Studio Monitorstagged by System, 5/28/12
- productM-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Powered Speakerstagged by System, 5/28/12
Related Forum Threads
- Computer speaker suggestions < 75 USD Last post on 11/26/12 at 12:59pm in Computer Audio
- Need recommendations for 2.0 speakers. Last post on 6/15/12 at 9:09pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Good Speakers for a Dorm Room? Audioengine vs Harmon Kardon vs Antec Last post on 7/31/12 at 7:55am in Computer Audio
- Smallest and Best 2.0 Speaker 200 or less Last post on 2/6/13 at 12:43pm in Computer Audio
- 2.1 speakers for music? Last post on 11/9/12 at 3:30am in Computer Audio
i am giving this review after a month use, 30+ hours burning its still improving. at the first use found these a crap they were sounding low on my phone they are not that impact that i was looking...
For the prize, these sound amazing! I was extremly happy about my purchase until the headband broke. I only used them normally, with no extreme stretching at all. It is made of fragile plastic....
If you want to read me ramble on more about haptics and finish quality, head to Ω image's review. I know it is a year on and this earphone is no longer en vogue. However, I reviewed it. Take...
Now let me start by saying that at the time I purchased these Delta's, I was looking for a step up to my Philips SHE3580's to get a better quality budget iem. I have just sold my JVC FX40's and my...
I've completed my review on this headphone and it is currently waiting to go live elsewhere first. After a few days, it will be posted here. This headphone is a real winner. I am truly amazed by...
2.0 Speakers Compilation: Best for <$500 - Page 16
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I've got a really simple question here; I want to spend $200-$300 on a 2.1 set just for casual listening. Don't need it to be blaringly loud, but I want a subwoofer that'll pack a punch without taking up too much of the budget. I'm gonna play everything from the Blade Runner soundtrack with ambient sounds and stuff, to jazz fusion, to dubstep. I guess versatle would come to mind. Any thing that fits in my pathetic budget?
A subwoofer that "packs a punch" is relative to
1) Your expectations, what that means to you.
2) The size of your room *if* you are looking for one that can give that punch in the chest feel. That might be hard to accomplish unless your room is the size of a walk in closet. Typically that requires a sub that can pressurize a room.
See, a subwoofer is an amp AND a speaker. The better SQ and more powerful bass you want from it, the more it costs, and often relative to room size.
The Dayton SUB 800 and SUB 1000 are very good subs for building a budget setup. You could pair them with active or passive speaker setups. Here's a review of the 8": http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57558460-47/dayton-audios-almost-too-good-to-be-true-sub-800-subwoofer/
Glad to help
Good pairing with that sub could be NHT SuperZero 2.0s and a Topping TP21 t-amp. NHT just updated the SuperZeroes (again--they've been making this model forever it seems) to 2.1, so discount on the 2.0.
Here are reviews of the SuperZero 2.0s: http://www.hometheater.com/content/nht-superzero-20-speaker-system
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20020422-47.html (same CNET reviewer as the SUB 800)
I have a set of Logitech Z-2300 2.1 THX Certified computer speakers with an upgraded control pod that I absolutely ADORE. They actually sell more used on Amazon now then they cost when I bought them new 5 years ago. I think they go for between $150-$170 maybe a bit more with a new pod like mine. I don't intend to ever give them up :)
If this is any indication of Monoprice quality, then no
I'm not saying the Monoprice speakers are great (I have not heard them), but that reviewer is as questionable as he makes the speakers out to be. He calls the tweeter wave guide a "strange protective grill"--obviously has no clue what a wave guide is. Polymer based cone materials are used in many speakers effectively (my Ascends have polymer cones). How can one know the port tuning needs without the TS parameters for the driver? And I've seen ports that size in other, more expensive, good sounding bookshelves. He's harping on the response he gets at the listening position where obviously room acoustics are going to dramatically influence how the speakers sound. He knows just enough to put together that crap, but not enough to really know what he's talking about.
- 2.0 Speakers Compilation: Best for <$500
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Pictures of Your *Mid-Fi* Portable Rig ($200 - $600) 4 seconds ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 18 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Parts/Overclocking) 1 minute ago
- › Toxic Cables - The Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 2 minutes ago
- › electronic cigarette-fi 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 3 minutes ago
- › Brief Odac impressions 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 439 Headphones Black by sagar khichi
- › AKG K520 by Veggietech
- › AudioFly AF78 by shigzeo
- › Brainwavz Delta by IEMagnet01
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by 24Bit
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by 24Bit
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe