It's really hard to quantify - I would say the XS is maybe 10% better? The differences are pretty subtle. Plus I have not been able to try them with the same exact tubes, so I can't really say for sure anyway. The CS300 itself is certainly very, very good.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Eddie Current Balancing Act vs Leben 300 or 300xs - pls share your experience Last post on 1/19/11 at 8:32pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Leben CS300XS Thread Last post on 11/22/16 at 12:36pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Integrated tube amps (Leben, Luxman) vs. stand-alone headphone amps Last post on 9/18/11 at 10:24pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Integrated Amplifiers and Preamplifier with Good, Great or Excellent Headphones Output -... Last post on 9/19/16 at 6:39am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Leben CS600 in DC area -- anyone with LCD2, T1, GS1000, HD800, 702 who wants to listen? Last post on 2/20/15 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Disclaimer: Bhavneet from Burson Audio offered to send me the Cable+, with no return required, asking me only to post my honest evaluation of its performance when used with the Chromecast...
These headphones are much recommended online as a relatively cheap introduction into the world of high fidelity. They are functional and do not excessively grab attention visually. They are...
A very good DAC and headphone AMP for the price. A clear improvement in sound quality from my laptop for headphones, even ones that already sounded good, this gives a much cleaner,clearer and more...
This is my first really good quality Digital Audio Player. I have used a range of Audiophile headphones on it. If you're used to digital Sony Walkmans of days gone by you will recognize the simple,...
My favorite pair of headphones, and considering I own the Sennheiser HD598s, that is saying something. They look fantastic, very stylish indeed, they are extremely comfortable, infact the ear pads...
- Headphone Impedance
Ordered Leben cs300xs (Arrived with photos) - Page 10
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
The Leben arrived safely today via DHL. . Few photos:
It has Sovtek EL84s but a Quad of Sylvania Black plate 6bq5/EL84 in route. Build quality is quite impressive and it has understated good looks. Wife approves but I think because she dislikes the Woo WA2 look (reminds her of Dr Frankenstein's lab)
I did a brief listen to make sure it made the trip intact. Sounds a little brash at top end but again this was just a cursory listen with Sovteks.
I believe that's the most beautiful headphone/speaker amp I've ever seen, what ruins the look a bit are the black switches...
The potentiometers, are they silver in the CS300 version?
Here's an update on my Leben/LCD-2 issue. Apparently, Leben has made some changes on the headphone out. Here is an email I received from my dealer.
"Leben mentioned to me that the latest production runs of the Leben, they have dropped the voltage from 1v to .08 v on the headphone output. This was to reduce any noise levels with very sensitive headphones. If the sensitivity of the headphones is below 80db it may be difficult to obtain proper results, they say."
Not really sure what that means from a current standpoint, but the headphone out on my Leben does not have enough current to drive the LCD-2's effectively.
I've got an email into Matt to see if I can ship my unit back to Leben to maximize the headphone out for the LCD-2.
Another update. To start, I can't say enough about the excellent customer service that Matt Rotunda, owner of Pitch Perfect Audio, provides. He actually ended up sending me his own personal 120v 300X (with stock mullards) to try with my LCD-2. It turns out the 300X is incredible with the LCD-2 (and my other hp's), none of the issues I was having with the XS and the LCD-2. The X is also dead silent with all my headphones, no buzz/hum like I was having with volume turned all the way down with the XS. Matt thinks there may be something wrong with the headphone out of my XS since there was such a dramatic change with the LCD-2 going from the XS to the X, with what in his opinion was a minor design change on the headphone out of the XS. I ended up returning the XS (I assume it will be sent back to Leben to see if there is an issue with the headphone out) and buying the X from him. I couldn't be happier. Icing on the cake is cosmetically I prefer the X more than my replaced XS. The gold, green and wood are all darker on the X. The gold and green don't contrast as much and look great with my gold marantz sacd player. I haven't had time to take the cover off the X, but I assume it has GE 5751driver tubes. I am planning on doing some tube comparisons later on today between the stock mullards and GE 5751's vs amperex bugle boys and sylvania triple mica gold 5751's, but it sounds awesome right now stock.
Glad it worked out for you, though!!!
x2. There something to be said about buying from a reputable dealer. I stripped a screw on my Leben and Matt Rotunda had Leben Hi-Fi Stereo Co. of Japan send me a packet of 14 replacement screws. He didn't charge me for the screws or for shipping them.
Edited by Clayton SF - 3/5/11 at 1:19pm
Glad it worked out for you. I might have to try a 300x. Lan637, I had the same reaction to the black switches. Not only do they look out of place but they feel out of place because they're made of plastic. Real Gold plated metal knobs and plastic switches...Not cool!
Dear Leben users,
As I'm considering this amp, which version (300/300s/300sx/300x - correct me If i put wrong symbols) should I take to be happy with T70, HD650 and Audeze LCD 2?
Will Leben make T70 sound fuller? I do like it already with my OTL but some records need more warm.
- Ordered Leben cs300xs (Arrived with photos)
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 10 seconds ago
- › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! 26 seconds ago
- › Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (advanced wireless & microSD module for... 29 seconds ago
- › Prog rock 35 seconds ago
- › Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing... 45 seconds ago
- › Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions 46 seconds ago
- › Massdrop Fostex TH-x00 (Mahogany) review 56 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 2 minutes ago
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Sony NWZ-A15 Walkman Video MP3 Player (16GB) - Black by theminstrel
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by theminstrel
- › Shure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black) by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 449 Headphones by theminstrel
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by FortisFlyer75
- › AXGIO Dash Wireless Earbuds Cordless Running Jogging Bluetooth... by pkshiu
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by heliosphann
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear