I meant have you noticed any noticeable differences with cheap and expensive DACs when using the LF 339?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Tube amps with a 'cold'/'bright' sound? Last post on 12/26/12 at 6:14am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Will I blow my amp up ? Last post on 5/24/12 at 4:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Can I do anything about this problem ? Last post on 6/17/11 at 1:24pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Darkvoice voltage error??? Last post on 3/1/11 at 12:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Darkvoice/La Figaro 336c or the 332c, 332s Last post on 9/1/15 at 10:51am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
First if I would like to thank Meze for including me in their review program. I did NOT receive these for free, like all other reviewers in the program I have been given a 1 week window to...
Intro Meze Headphones is a company with a simple philosophy; Motivation, Values, People. With a passion for art and music, achieved through patience and dedication, Meze design...
Initial & information from the Rock Jaw website: I happened across the Rock Jaw sponsor page listing the need to review their Resonate BA-Hybrid IEM. Not knowing much about either, I threw my...
These headphones are well known for its low price and quality. I think they should be called shockers because when you look at them its one thing but when you listen to them suddenly they change to...
Final chose me to review the F7200 (review here) and the F4100 ($280) and provided samples free of charge. I have spent several days listening to the F4100, and I believe I can give an accurate...
La Figaro 339 - Page 168
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2507 of 381111/30/14 at 4:38amQuote:
This is going to be an unpopular message but anyway: I've meanwhile tried DACs ranging from an el cheapo -but by no means bad- ODAC, all the way to an MSB Diamond dac IV+ which I got to try for a couple of hours. Apart from the filters that are applied and where some small differences sometimes are noticeable (on very resolving ss amps), to me they basically sound the same on the same amp.
I'm sure some are theoretically better than others but any differences are mostly mathematical and beyond the threshold of audibility, especially if you then send the signal through a tube amp which even if well constructed has distortion that's at least an order of magnitude higher than a halfway decent ss amp. Don't get me wrong, I love tubes. But if signal fidelity is what you're looking for then you have to look at ss gear and any minute dac differences will imo be swamped by the amplifier.
Just my 2 cents, if someone feels a gazillion bucks DAC sounds better: more power to them, I'm not about to argue the point.post #2508 of 381111/30/14 at 5:26amQuote:
To me there is a difference, I can A/B out between an audioquest dragonfly and odac. The odac is better than dragonfly, more detail for the LF339post #2509 of 381111/30/14 at 6:52amQuote:
Do you think you can do this or have you actually done it under controlled circumstances when someone else (or a program) was doing the switching and gotten a statistically relevant result? Bias can be a powerful thing. Anyway, I'll give it a rest, discussion of double bind tests is only allowed in the sound science forum.post #2510 of 381111/30/14 at 7:03ampost #2511 of 381111/30/14 at 6:54pm
Using my audio gd fun as preamp, soundstage was more wide when using SS amp. I wanted to know how well high level preamps scaled with the LF. I tried using just my iphone connected to the LF and the soundstage was squashed, detail was not as good.
Been using the RCA JAN 6AS7G with 5693 Red Hots, waiting on more tubes to make a list and I will compare.post #2512 of 381112/2/14 at 7:32am
I'm now part of the 339 club! I've taken some pictures of the inside. Sure looks like the 2013 version to me but I purchased the 2011 version which was $100 less. Maybe I got lucky and they sent the 2013 version by mistake :D. The only problem now is that the seller forgot to include the power cables so I am unable to use it :(post #2513 of 381112/2/14 at 7:37ampost #2514 of 381112/2/14 at 7:47amQuote:Originally Posted by sgbwill2
I'm now part of the 339 club! I've taken some pictures of the inside. Sure looks like the 2013 version to me but I purchased the 2011 version which was $100 less. Maybe I got lucky and they sent the 2013 version by mistake . The only problem now is that the seller forgot to include the power cables so I am unable to use it
You can just use 2pcs of cables that are used by your PC.post #2515 of 381112/2/14 at 7:47ampost #2516 of 381112/2/14 at 7:48ampost #2517 of 381112/2/14 at 7:54ampost #2518 of 381112/2/14 at 8:20ampost #2519 of 381112/2/14 at 9:10amQuote:
Enjoy, it's possible that the sound will still change a bit, new capacitors need to settle in for a couple of hours before they reach equilibrium. I wonder about the version you have, that's one of the weak spots with the LF amps; sound and build quality are very good but changelog documentation is a disaster.post #2520 of 381112/2/14 at 9:25amQuote:Originally Posted by Xenophon
Enjoy, it's possible that the sound will still change a bit, new capacitors need to settle in for a couple of hours before they reach equilibrium. I wonder about the version you have, that's one of the weak spots with the LF amps; sound and build quality are very good but changelog documentation is a disaster.
As Ultrainferno said it seems to be some sort of hybrid of the 2011 and 2013 amps. I'm happy though that it has the upgraded resistors :). So far I am very happy with the sound from the RCA 6as7's and Japanese 6sj7 mesh plates though in the near future I am hoping to get 6080 graphite plates and some tung sol mesh plates to try out.
- La Figaro 339
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view 1 minute ago
- › $100 dac with spidf? 1 minute ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 1 minute ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC 6 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 9 minutes ago
- › Cavalli Audio • 2017 Line-Up • Questions & Updates 11 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 13 minutes ago
- › Buying my first IEMs (VSONIC GR07be/classic vs RHA MA750i vs... 13 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (advanced wireless & microSD module for... 15 minutes ago
- › Meze 99 Neo by dweaver
- › Meze 12 Classics by Bansaku
- › Rock Jaw Audio Resonate by ngoshawk
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by krenky
- › Final F4100 by jwbrent
- › Audio-Technica AT-PHA100 by Army-Firedawg
- › Noble Audio Katana by EZE99
- › AKG K 550 by Mink
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by krenky
- › Edifier K180 by Redcarmoose
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear