Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Dark Voice 339
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dark Voice 339 - Page 132

post #1966 of 2364

So, I finally back at home and about to place an order for the adapters.  Which one would you guy recommend? EF86 or EF80/800?

 

And power tubes, I am still hoping to run the 5998.

post #1967 of 2364

EF86Better performance

post #1968 of 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrails View Post

So, I finally back at home and about to place an order for the adapters.  Which one would you guy recommend? EF86 or EF80/800?

And power tubes, I am still hoping to run the 5998.
Before isold my 337 i had both the 5998 and the bendix wb6080 with graphite colums..both excellent tubes..so even consider these specific (rare, heavy and expensive) bendix 6080wb tubes to be better in detail, soundstage and controlling the bass on my he500..but u had to put volume a bit higher then when using the 5998.. The rca redhots 5693 paired wonderfully with the bendix.. The last weeks i had the 337 i used the redhots and the bendix's..wonderful pair!

.. And i agree with some saying that the 5998 sounds a bit siruppy ..it certainly does compaired to the bendix...both are priced similarely.

Never used any adapters sorry...
Edited by hifimanrookie - 8/27/13 at 9:03am
post #1969 of 2364

So, how's everyone doing?

 

I just ordered some EF86 adapters, RCA 6AS7 & Bendix 6080WB with slotted columns.  Tube rolling bug is very addictive and I am enjoying this amp.  I am sure everyone else is too.  Anyone tried K701/K702 with this amp? 

 

I am tempted to buy the K702 65th to supplement the HE500.  I want some headphones which have an awesome soundstage and pair well with the LF339.  I am not sure of the HD800, as I have read that it doesn't go well with LF339 but with Crack yes.  But don't wanna spend money on an amp/super expensive headphones.  

 

Any other recommendations that pair well with LF339 and has a very good soundstage with 3d layering...

post #1970 of 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrails View Post
 

So, how's everyone doing?

 

I just ordered some EF86 adapters, RCA 6AS7 & Bendix 6080WB with slotted columns.  Tube rolling bug is very addictive and I am enjoying this amp.  I am sure everyone else is too.  Anyone tried K701/K702 with this amp? 

 

I am tempted to buy the K702 65th to supplement the HE500.  I want some headphones which have an awesome soundstage and pair well with the LF339.  I am not sure of the HD800, as I have read that it doesn't go well with LF339 but with Crack yes.  But don't wanna spend money on an amp/super expensive headphones.  

 

Any other recommendations that pair well with LF339 and has a very good soundstage with 3d layering...

 

The LF339 Cricuit is approprite for Grado's Headphone. Grado RS-1 is a good pair with LF339, strong dynamic and wide frequency response, but soundstage is not good.Grado PS-1000 have an awesome soundstage , and perfect in everyway. But the normal LF339 dirve it sound turbid, custom version can dirve it well, I think normail version is limited by parts. GS-1000 maybe is a good choice.

 

About the tube rolling, Bendix 6080 is the best!  I used it, too, then I used Telefuken EF806S. Exquisite, good dynamic and airy feel.If you like awesome soundstage, you can try Philips miniwatt E80F, but HF is mediocre.

post #1971 of 2364
Thanks kanshouhin for your reply. I am almost tempted to sell off the LF339 but I still love it especially with the He500s. That sound is so romantic, smooth and so addictive. After dinner, I sit in the study room, turn the lights down, pour myself a drink and just listen...

Maybe, I will upgrade the caps and get better powercords for it. I might even get the HD650, as they are another match made in heaven.
post #1972 of 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrails View Post

Thanks kanshouhin for your reply. I am almost tempted to sell off the LF339 but I still love it especially with the He500s. That sound is so romantic, smooth and so addictive. After dinner, I sit in the study room, turn the lights down, pour myself a drink and just listen...



Maybe, I will upgrade the caps and get better powercords for it. I might even get the HD650, as they are another match made in heaven.

 



I answered your PM. You seem to want to spend money. smily_headphones1.gif

Be happy with the HE-500 + LF399. That is a very cost-efficient solution to very good sound.

Don't waste your hard earned money on a power cord.
You don't want to buy a super-expensive headphone and amp, but a power cord is fine? Come on mate...

That cash that you have.... Save it for a better amp + headphone or invest in a better source, as you didn't specify what source you are using.

/V
post #1973 of 2364
"You seem to want to spend money. smily_headphones1.gif"

Hahaha, I would actually not want to but this hobby makes me do it.

Anyway, running it from a M-DAC.
post #1974 of 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrails View Post

"You seem to want to spend money. smily_headphones1.gif"

Hahaha, I would actually not want to but this hobby makes me do it.

Anyway, running it from a M-DAC.

 

M-Dac is an adequate DAC for the rest of the chain.

 

And regarding amp and headphones. If I were you I'd start saving for a HD800-rig. However as I wrote in the PM. Don't jump in to the chain of HD800-buyers that bought it, then sold it and said it was bright. The HD800 can be bright (although that is to some extent easily fixed). But to unleash it fully... I'd say at least a EC Super 7 / Zana Deux. And an equal amount of cash in the DAC-section. And that's at least. Otherwise the fate of those headphones is already sealed. ;)

post #1975 of 2364

From what I've heard, and I've told that in PM too: Zana deux

post #1976 of 2364
Cheers guys, I think you may have saved me some cash. Will stick to this rig... till the bug kicks in again.
post #1977 of 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrails View Post

Cheers guys, I think you may have saved me some cash. Will stick to this rig... till the bug kicks in again.
Dont wannamake ur wallet hate u..but.. With me ..two upgraded powercords did better the sound a bit on my 337 when i had him...and to be honest i didnt thought it would as it was a good deal and i love how they look..that was reason why i bought them in first place..but after a month or so i heard the bass getting deeper and a bit more air around the instruments..and for sure..black became black hole black...cant expain it differently..the 337/339 needs clean raw power..and no conditioner in between! Straight to the wall! I would say try black sands purple powercable..they are affordable and improve ur amp a bit.. I was going to buy a set of those..but my new amp will have new 14awg cable delivered with it..so i dont need them.
Just try a set..but be carefull..NOT ALL POWERCABLES ARE GOOD..even expensive ones doesnt say they are good..expensive doesnt mean best!
Check out this review:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/219202/its-done-power-cord-shoot-out-22-power-cords-reviewed

This debate has been on for eons..same about upgraded headphonecables/interconnects/loudspeakercables/anti vibration feet or recently about usb cables... There are two very opposite opinions about believers and unbelievers...i only believe my ears..and as one will say next..and my mind (right fearless?)..and as long i 'hear' changes for the better in my rig with every little thing i change..i am a happy man..and on,y my wallet will hate me...
Edited by hifimanrookie - 9/9/13 at 7:36am
post #1978 of 2364

I recommend Bendix 6080 slotted column (never heard other kinds though). They are a threat! GEC 6AS7G is kind of a grail for the 339, too expensive but I so love those and you know... "you can't buy love"!

The most fun with this amp is the customization and the tube Rolling, but I may be seriously biased , seriously! Dig up this long thread for the three or four audionuts if wanna see some serious mods hehe...

 

You don't have to sink lots of money to fully enjoy the 339. If you have the last version (with the resistors array), then just buy either HE500, or HD650 and don't aim for the unicorn. For that money you have exquisite music in your ears already ^^. Add to this small money for the inexpensive RCA 6AS7G NOS and 5693.

 

STOCK 339 is awesome already! No need to add anything (especially power cords) Your mileage may vary.

 

the new résistors (as of may this year) are all that was needed to make the 339 a classic! The old resistor in this place were failure prone. This looks way more sturdy.

 

 


Edited by telecaster - 9/10/13 at 2:09pm
post #1979 of 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecaster View Post
 

 you know... "you can't buy love"!

yeah I already did just bought a pair of Bendix 6080 "Graphite Slotted Plate" and some Tung Sol 7236 for my tubes backup, can't wait to arrive.:atsmile:

post #1980 of 2364
Quote:
 yeah I already did just bought a pair of Bendix 6080 "Graphite Slotted Plate" and some Tung Sol 7236 for my tubes backup, can't wait to arrive

 

Yep me too! Seems to be tube buying season.

 

Also, the new 339 is suppose to come with OTK6C5CX2 and  6N5PX2.  I am guessing OTK6C5CX2 would mean the GEC CV 1067 as the driver?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Dark Voice 339