Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia Review - Page 2

post #16 of 599

$15 is a lot better than the $25 by Sleek Audio online or the replacement cables for the HJE900 which ranges from $30 to $50 and then shipping from Japan to here which makes them even more expensive. I'm not a believer in cables making much difference sonically however just ones that have better build than others.

post #17 of 599
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnoiserdc View Post
One thing, you said it is semi-open, how open does it feel?

 

I am asking because I hate the feeling of closeness, I get with IEM. Do you think it diminishes it to a level that it can be tolerated easily?

 

One thing, if I may: Can you please upload a picture with it fitted on your ear? I am asking because one never knows how it fits, and then you can't sleep with it on or so!


Well, 'semi-open' might have been an exaggeration - it's just that the enclosure is vented with tiny holes around the nozzle, but they're clearly not 'open' like the FX500/FX700, or the v-Moda Vibes. The HJE don't feel claustrophobic at all, they're spacious enough. For example, I just go the Beyerdynamic T50p on-ear headphones for testing - and they feel much more closed in, much more in-your-head than the HJE.

 

As i posted before, I have no issues sleeping with them, and I wear them with the cable up around my ears.

 

Here's a quick'n'dirty pic of them in my ears:

 

_MG_1545.jpg

post #18 of 599

Likewise, I have no issues sleeping with them. The housings aren't long, and their shape makes it so that they simply can't go too deep into your ear, so I've never suffered any discomfort wearing them during my bedtime.

post #19 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

$15 is a lot better than the $25 by Sleek Audio online or the replacement cables for the HJE900 which ranges from $30 to $50 and then shipping from Japan to here which makes them even more expensive. I'm not a believer in cables making much difference sonically however just ones that have better build than others.


Wait, which replacement cable is only $15?

post #20 of 599


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post




Wait, which replacement cable is only $15?


The Sleek Audio one: http://www.jr.com/sleek-audio/pe/SKO_SA6CABLE/

post #21 of 599
Thread Starter 

Won't the angled connectors on the Sleek cable be a bit of an issue with the HJE's housing design?

post #22 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post

Won't the angled connectors on the Sleek cable be a bit of an issue with the HJE's housing design?


I was just wondering about this today too.... I bet it would turn them into an over the ear design quite handily.

post #23 of 599

The Sleek SA6 connectors are RA but the few who have tried seemed okay with it. 

 

The SA1 has straight connectors but I don't know if Sleek sell SA1 cables separately.
 

post #24 of 599

I was weary about this when buying them and though awkward at first, they actually haven't interfered with comfort at all, actually making it a bit more secure in my ear, since they allow the headphones to tilt more naturally into the shape of my ears and whatnot when the cable is swiveled. I haven't tried them over the ear yet though.

*tries over-the-ear*

Oh my, this is quite comfortable and secure. Fit feels very well lodged in my ear and they can go deliberately deeper into my ear. Interesting.

 

Edit: The default cables fit quite nicely over the ear though. They actually fit over the ear better than any other IEM I've tried because of the stem kind of providing a nice angle for the cable to drop from, for my ears at least. But with the SA6 cables it's a bit better and more tight fitting.


Edited by Napilopez - 7/15/10 at 3:47pm
post #25 of 599

@jant: I've seen both SA6 and SA1 cables on the Sleek Audio website for individual purchase. I think the SA6 right angled may make over the ear a bit easier than the straight but I don't have them to see and find out.

 

@JxK: i was talking about the Panasonic replacement cables that go for that 30-50 dollar range or so in Japan but it's much more expensive than buying it from Sleek Audio or a store such as J&R.

post #26 of 599

Comfort for sleeping is high on my criteria list, so I'm glad to hear that it is.

 

As to cable replacement, I have gone though countless pairs of inexpensive Sony MDR-EX51s, MDR-EX71s and a Creative 640. I currently have three Creative 630s--two still in their package unopened as backups--because I sleep with them and all of their cables inevitably break at the strain relief area. For that reason, I'm very happy to see cabling is replaceable for the Panasonic and that replacement cables--by another vendor--is pretty cheap.

 

dfkt, the IE8 are comfortable for sleeping? Wow. That's interesting. The weird shape of the back of the IE8s makes me initially think they'd be extremely uncomfortable for the ear.

 

I quite like the shape/size and comfort of the Sony MDR, Creative 630/640 and Sen cx 300 series for sleeping.

post #27 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rooi123 View Post

got these for cheap

hope they are better than my mtpg


How cheap? Great review ,btw dfkt.

post #28 of 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post


The midrange is slightly recessed, as is usually the case with ‘natural’ sounding phones, since that is just how human hearing works – a flat frequency response isn’t perceived as natural. 


Great review as usual.  Nice to hear you say that about flat frequency response.  I've never known the actual facts about the science or anatomy of the phenomena but my ears have always told me that flat response curves just didn't sound 'natural'.  Do you have any links on the matter by chance?  Perhaps I should make a new thread in the science forum....

post #29 of 599
Thread Starter 

NeedBalanceCtrl - yeah, I couldn't imagine the IE8 being that comfortable either, especially coming from the Phonak PFE who have similar sharp edges and angles (and who aren't made for sleeping at all) - but the IE8 pull it off, being really comfortable, despite their form factor. With the Panasonics it's easy - they have your bog-standard form factor, and they should work as well as the Foster Japan housings (CX300, EP630, etc). The stem of the Panas is longer, due to the connector, but that shouldn't be an issue.

post #30 of 599
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post




Great review as usual.  Nice to hear you say that about flat frequency response.  I've never known the actual facts about the science or anatomy of the phenomena but my ears have always told me that flat response curves just didn't sound 'natural'.  Do you have any links on the matter by chance?  Perhaps I should make a new thread in the science forum....


The human equal loudness contour changes its sensitivity over the audible frequency range, depending on the sound pressure level: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

 

At low volume levels a more v-shaped curve sounds natural, the louder you listen, the flatter you can go.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia Review