currently im using a clip+ with an alo rx and some old shure iems or my hfi-780, i will be buying either dba-02 or ck10 iems to use with my setup im just stuck between a portable source now and im not sure which, i dont really listen to flacs but i wouldnt mind having the option open, and i only listen to edm. ive read numerous pages with all and leaning towards the s:flo because of price and the line out but really they all seem like great players so im stuck
- brandCowontagged by System, 7/15/10
- productCOWON J3 16 GB Portable Media Player (Black)tagged by System, 7/15/10
- productCOWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black)tagged by System, 7/15/10
- productCOWON J3 8 GB Portable Media Player (White)tagged by System, 7/15/10
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 7/19/10
- productNationite S:Flo2tagged by System, 7/15/10
- brandSonytagged by System, 7/15/10
- productSony Walkman X Series 16 GB Video MP3 Player w/ OLED Displaytagged by System, 7/15/10
- productSony Walkman X Series (X1051 & X1061) 16GB & 32GB Video MP3 Player Silicone Skin Case Cover (BLACK)tagged by System, 7/15/10
- productSony X series 1060tagged by System, 7/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Can someone recommened me an MP3 Player ? Last post on 6/16/10 at 9:15am in Portable Source Gear
- New gear: AMP+Player up to 350 bucks Last post on 9/12/10 at 12:13am in Portable Source Gear
- mp3? player with THE sound quality, bluetooth file transfer, memory card slot and hardware keys. Last post on 9/11/10 at 1:30am in Portable Source Gear
- DAP that can drive a 64 ohm or 80 ohm can (sin amp) to their full potential? Last post on 7/20/10 at 7:55pm in Portable Source Gear
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide
Last edited: 12/7/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Amps & Other Gear)Last edited: 12/28/12
Own them for a while now really love them! bought a couple comply foam tips which are more comfortable then the stock ones. the stock ones are decent i liked the triple flang ones but comply foam...
Introducing Brainwavz very uniquely designed dual dynamic IEM Brainwavz R3 (Comply Tips) Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic IEM I've been lucky enough recently to start...
Disclaimers: I'm a consumer, a headphone enthusiast, so I'm not using these for professional use. ... that's it They come in a nice box, really giving them a professional feel. The bag I...
I have been using Samson SR940 for a week now so this review will not be too detailed. It was a blind purchase as there are no helpful reviews available. I bought two headphones; Beyer DT880 pro...
This Headphone have Very Good and Smooth Mid / High, Good Bass response. Cold-side, Analytical, Overall Clarity made this Headphone Shine, Bass may lack on some track or Not enough for some...
stuck between sony x series, j3 and s:flo2post #1 of 617/14/10 at 6:24pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 617/14/10 at 6:42pm
If your primary focus is on sound quality and you're on a budget it's hard to overlook the s:flo2. If you can live with the UI, possible problems with the computer you use and "short" battery life then I say go for it!
If you want a DAP that doesn't make compromises and you can afford it go for the J3. It really is a fantastic polished player.
It's also worth noting that your ALO Rx would pair very well with the s:flo2. I suggest you seriously consider the player.post #3 of 617/14/10 at 8:24pm
Well, I owned the J3, the SF2 and the Sony X. Returned the J3 and sold the X and the SF2. Know what I have now? A 64GB Touch 3G, with a good LOD and the iBasso T3. I find the Touch SQ just as good as the three aforementioned DAPs (at least good enough). I did get the Touch for $275, a very good price. While I liked the J3 just fine, $300 for a 32GB player ($340 with a 16GB card, making it 46GB) was a bit too high a price. Same with the Sony X. I paid $269 for it, but while the SQ was very good, no expansion and the browser sucked.
So I revisited the Touch, and I am glad I did with the new iOS4.
I also picked up an open box 16GB ZuneHD for $133, but haven't listened much yet (came today).
As for the SF2, no doubt with the Rx and a good mini to mini, excellent SQ. But as noted, lousy battery life and the UI, while not horrible, ain't much fun either.post #4 of 617/14/10 at 8:29pmQuote:
Where are people getting the short, high quality mini-mini cables? Particularly any 90 degree ones. Was gonna make some but I'd rather save the time and effort if I can buy a decent one.
Sorry to derail.post #5 of 617/14/10 at 8:43pmpost #6 of 617/15/10 at 1:37amThread Starterpost #7 of 617/15/10 at 5:29ampost #8 of 617/15/10 at 5:56am
I'd go for the X.
I had Samsung p3, ipod touch 2G and 3G, Cowon S9 and D2 and the X1050. Unamped and imho the X1050 is by far the most engaging, lively sounding player of the ones mentioned. Plus the interface is good enough; not exactly on par with the touch, but the sound more than makes up for that. The P3's interface was so annoying, it was more than unacceptable. I use my Sony with Sennheiser Mx760, Fischer Audio Eterna V1 and AKG K24P and they all sound very nice. Not one player has made me feel the music like the X does. You really rock out with your tunes. The only downside is the shiddy browser and hiss which, however, becomes unperceivable once music is playing.post #9 of 617/15/10 at 6:50am
I have got the sony x and ipod touch 3g i like both, the sony x is really good sound wise ..the ipod is just as good especially with the IOS4, it has a better UI in my opinion ... if you want good sound quality go for the sony x...but bang for buck it has to be ipod touch...post #10 of 617/15/10 at 8:17amThread Starterpost #11 of 617/15/10 at 8:28am
There was a new A Series Walkman announced for the rest of us, and it's 64gb!!! It's gonna hit the EU, which should mean North America should get it as well,.... http://presscentre.sony.eu/content/detail.aspx?ReleaseID=6052&NewsAreaId=2post #12 of 617/15/10 at 1:17pm
I hope they fix the annoying clicking sound that I've head about on the A series as that would be great to get the X series with more capacity and without the touchscreen ui that nobody seems to enjoy all that much.post #13 of 617/15/10 at 1:36pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by nywytboy68
There was a new A Series Walkman announced for the rest of us, and it's 64gb!!! It's gonna hit the EU, which should mean North America should get it as well,.... http://presscentre.sony.eu/content/detail.aspx?ReleaseID=6052&NewsAreaId=2
i should probably wait for thatpost #14 of 617/15/10 at 2:26pm
Sony X Series:
Decent Sound Quality (through HO, worst of 3, IMO)
Very Polished UI
Supports Uncompressed Lossless (WAV)
Line Out Dock Available
Doesn't Support Compressed Lossless (ALAC, FLAC, etc.)
No Expandable Memory Slot
LOD is expensive
Decent UI (better than S:Flo 2, worse than Sony X)
Great Sound Quality (better than Sony X, worse than S:Flo 2, IMO)
Supports Wide Range of Formats (wav, FLAC, etc.)
Legendary Battery Life (over 60 hours audio)
Expandable Memory Slot
No Line Out
Best Sound Quality
Line Out (just use a mini to mini)
Expandable Memory Slot
Supports Wide Range of Formats (WAV, FLAC, etc.)
Battery Life (8-12 Hours)
Stable but annoying UI
- stuck between sony x series, j3 and s:flo2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › measurements are models 2 seconds ago
- › Bottlehead Crack with Speedball and output caps upgrade 6 seconds ago
- › Minneapolis meet Jan 26, 2014 16 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 39 seconds ago
- › Please help me with advise, which headphones should I buy 1 minute ago
- › The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market 2 minutes ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 3 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › New AKG flagship K812 first impression 4 minutes ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Yamaha HPH-MT120BL High Fidelity Over-ear Headphones by ron watson
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by davisman
- › TDK BA200 by ScreenKiller
- › Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones by Brooko
- › Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone by Trunks159
- › Samson SR950 by Emid
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by Misterbushido-
- › Ultrasone DJ1 by HybridBlinds
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by SocialCapital