Excellent. I am going to be getting the loaner unit sent to me soon - very much looking forward to trying it out.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Apex Peak/Volcano vs. Zana Deux Last post on 6/25/12 at 1:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- RWA Isabellina HPA OR TTVJ Apex /Volcano Last post on 5/5/11 at 10:56am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audio-GD FUN vs Nuforce HDP? Last post on 8/16/10 at 4:20pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- HD800 + $1,000-$2,500 Amp = Sonic Bliss? Last post on 7/17/14 at 1:10am in High-end Audio Forum
- Tube amp for Sennheiser HD800s: deciding between some SE & balanced options Last post on 12/7/13 at 7:35pm in High-end Audio Forum
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Disclaimer First of all, I would like to thank Audrey and the Brainwavz team for allowing me to review their S1 IEMs. I would also like to clarify that I am neither an affiliate of Brainwavz...
Overview The Alien is a well-priced (~$250 AUD), compact, screenless player that plays only WAV and FLAC files – no MP3, no AAC, just the two major lossless options. For some people that will...
Shure SRH840, are a value filled set of extraordinary headphones, worth every single coin you spend on it. The bass register is perfect for any genre of song you play through you...
I got the Sennheiser HD-598 based on all the existing rave reviews. It's amazingly comfortable. That's all the good I can say about it. I just hate the sound. Okay, I am no "audiophile". I am...
This is a good amplifier in my limited experience, *but*, it might not better than some of the leading solid-state competitors in this price range ($500-600). I haven't compared it too, for...
- Headphone Impedance
Apex Peak/Volcano Review - Page 5
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Did you ever got a chance to review this amp?
It will ship first thing tomorrow morning. I had every intention of shipping it today but the day has been a mess so tomorrow.
Nice. Like tunarat, I'll be curious to hear what you think about it with the LCD-2.
I had forgotten about this useful thread. I suppose it's good to consolidate most of the feedback....
My recent (amateur) impressions of the Peak/Volcano with LCD-2 here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/498865/apex-peak-and-volcano-loaner-program/30#post_7087540
- It sounds more solid-state than tube, sort of like SS with a sprinkle of tube. Definitely less tubey than Melos. Melos midrange is definitely fuzzier with all sorts of pleasant (or unpleasant depending upon your POV) 2nd order harmonic distortion, not so with Peak/Volcano.
- Scary treble extension - no perceivable roll off. Very smooth and refined. It's like listening to those 45 RPM (not 33) classical LPs specially issued by EMI/Angel.
- The amp really gets out of the way and clearly presents differences in source, DACs, recordings. The amp doesn't seem to impart much (or anything) on its own, e.g. its very obvious that the modified DCX2496 reproduces low level information, inner detail, decay, etc. much better than Gamma2, Gamma2 has better controlled and more impactful bass. This characteristic has actually caused me to more frequently switch between DACs depending upon what recording I'm listening to.
- Changes in tubes are very noticeable. Bass control and impact seem dependent upon the tube used rather than being inherent in the amp. Whereas on the Melos, the bass always retains some characteristics of being a slightly soft, uncontrolled, and very slamming regardless of tube (or source). The Shuguang bottle is a little bit light on the bass, but has excellent control and presentation of texture. I've only got < 20 hours on it so far. But recommendations of a tube that has similar or close treble extension, clarity, and detail retrieval with a little bit more bass impact would be most welcome.
- Something I've never heard before: the ability to sustain bass notes. When I hear low bass, the fundamental usually kind of fizzles out, leaving only the higher harmonics. This amp has this spooky ability to keep that sustain and keep that fundamental note going. I suspect it's capable of very low bass extension (none of my current DACs or headphones are capable of this so I can't say for sure.)
- Melos seems to have an emphasis in the upper midrange / lower treble. Comparatively, the Peak/Volcano has a slight emphasis on the middle-midrange.
Other little things:
- LED over headphone jack lights up when the relay/timer goes off. This is a nice touch.
- 3 inputs, very useful when comparing sources.
- Smallish footprint. Light weight - maybe too light weight since the Shuguang bottle is very microphonic (ping, ping, rattle, rattle, etc. from kids stomping outside my listening room.) This amp is worthy of a heavy nice honkin' chassis.
- Only one tube to roll. Won't break your bank account by multiples.
Edited by purrin - 1/7/11 at 10:48am
I don't know if people have really tried the Peak without the Volcano. Though I remember reading someone saying the Volcano makes all aspects of sound reproduction a little better. I got the Peak/Volcano combo which did not ship with the external switching power supply brick, otherwise I would tell you.
I opened up the power supply to see what was inside. Looks like a choke, rectifier diodes, transformer, and a bank of big caps (22000uF x14). That's a lot of capacitance - almost like a little battery.
If you are into DIY, there's no reason you can't construct something similar. I was thinking of doing that, but I'm just too lazy these days for projects, especially with kids running around the house.
- Apex Peak/Volcano Review
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Bluedio HT H-Turbine 57mm Driver BT Headphones review 11 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Review: Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves in Crystal Blue for the Shure... 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › THE HYPE.............................. Appreciation Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones 6 minutes ago
- › Southeastern Michigan Spring Meet 03.14.2015 - Hosted by Overture... 6 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret 8 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 8 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S1 by thatBeatsguy
- › SHOZY Alien DAP by Loquah
- › Shure SRH840 by SoundScout
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by MyFamilyShoppin
- › Lehmann Rhinelander by jdpark
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by kigisaru
- › AWEI ES-Q9 Super Bass Wooden Earphones Headphones Headsets Fiber... by Mellowship
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by Zombie_X
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by nicholars
- › Sony MDREX10LP/BLK In-Ear Headphones by originalgusbus
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)