Excellent. I am going to be getting the loaner unit sent to me soon - very much looking forward to trying it out.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Apex Peak/Volcano vs. Zana Deux Last post on 6/25/12 at 1:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- RWA Isabellina HPA OR TTVJ Apex /Volcano Last post on 5/5/11 at 10:56am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audio-GD FUN vs Nuforce HDP? Last post on 8/16/10 at 4:20pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- HD800 + $1,000-$2,500 Amp = Sonic Bliss? Last post on 11/21/15 at 4:06pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Tube amp for Sennheiser HD800s: deciding between some SE & balanced options Last post on 12/7/13 at 7:35pm in High-end Audio Forum
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
As list in the summary, I don't like this product, and I will not buy any product from Philips because of the post-sale service. After I tried replacing all of the ear-pieces in the box, I...
Introduction – When I was first looking into a set of computer speakers, many brands tickled my ear but few really caught my eye. Edifier are a perfect example of a brand renowned for their...
Mine developed a noisy right channel after a relatively short time. Cambridge Tech support was poor and customer support was just as bad. This company is pennywise and pound foolish and should...
I’ve worked with Accutone IEMs before. However, I’ve never been so thoroughly satisfied a product of theirs. Almost every build-quality complaint I’ve had before lies dead at the feet of...
I have heard the littledot mkIV, and it pretty much sounded like any other solid state amp as well so i though eh, littledot is just another shammy company... but then I discovered the MKIII - and...
- Headphone Impedance
Apex Peak/Volcano Review - Page 5
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Did you ever got a chance to review this amp?
It will ship first thing tomorrow morning. I had every intention of shipping it today but the day has been a mess so tomorrow.
Nice. Like tunarat, I'll be curious to hear what you think about it with the LCD-2.
I had forgotten about this useful thread. I suppose it's good to consolidate most of the feedback....
My recent (amateur) impressions of the Peak/Volcano with LCD-2 here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/498865/apex-peak-and-volcano-loaner-program/30#post_7087540
- It sounds more solid-state than tube, sort of like SS with a sprinkle of tube. Definitely less tubey than Melos. Melos midrange is definitely fuzzier with all sorts of pleasant (or unpleasant depending upon your POV) 2nd order harmonic distortion, not so with Peak/Volcano.
- Scary treble extension - no perceivable roll off. Very smooth and refined. It's like listening to those 45 RPM (not 33) classical LPs specially issued by EMI/Angel.
- The amp really gets out of the way and clearly presents differences in source, DACs, recordings. The amp doesn't seem to impart much (or anything) on its own, e.g. its very obvious that the modified DCX2496 reproduces low level information, inner detail, decay, etc. much better than Gamma2, Gamma2 has better controlled and more impactful bass. This characteristic has actually caused me to more frequently switch between DACs depending upon what recording I'm listening to.
- Changes in tubes are very noticeable. Bass control and impact seem dependent upon the tube used rather than being inherent in the amp. Whereas on the Melos, the bass always retains some characteristics of being a slightly soft, uncontrolled, and very slamming regardless of tube (or source). The Shuguang bottle is a little bit light on the bass, but has excellent control and presentation of texture. I've only got < 20 hours on it so far. But recommendations of a tube that has similar or close treble extension, clarity, and detail retrieval with a little bit more bass impact would be most welcome.
- Something I've never heard before: the ability to sustain bass notes. When I hear low bass, the fundamental usually kind of fizzles out, leaving only the higher harmonics. This amp has this spooky ability to keep that sustain and keep that fundamental note going. I suspect it's capable of very low bass extension (none of my current DACs or headphones are capable of this so I can't say for sure.)
- Melos seems to have an emphasis in the upper midrange / lower treble. Comparatively, the Peak/Volcano has a slight emphasis on the middle-midrange.
Other little things:
- LED over headphone jack lights up when the relay/timer goes off. This is a nice touch.
- 3 inputs, very useful when comparing sources.
- Smallish footprint. Light weight - maybe too light weight since the Shuguang bottle is very microphonic (ping, ping, rattle, rattle, etc. from kids stomping outside my listening room.) This amp is worthy of a heavy nice honkin' chassis.
- Only one tube to roll. Won't break your bank account by multiples.
Edited by purrin - 1/7/11 at 10:48am
I don't know if people have really tried the Peak without the Volcano. Though I remember reading someone saying the Volcano makes all aspects of sound reproduction a little better. I got the Peak/Volcano combo which did not ship with the external switching power supply brick, otherwise I would tell you.
I opened up the power supply to see what was inside. Looks like a choke, rectifier diodes, transformer, and a bank of big caps (22000uF x14). That's a lot of capacitance - almost like a little battery.
If you are into DIY, there's no reason you can't construct something similar. I was thinking of doing that, but I'm just too lazy these days for projects, especially with kids running around the house.
- Apex Peak/Volcano Review
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › First headphone/amp combo within a 3000 USD budget 7 seconds ago
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 - Flagship ciem reload ! 2 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN RE-600 Review 4 minutes ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 4 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Appreciation Thread – a New Start (please read... 5 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 5 minutes ago
- › SoundMAGIC E80 Review by mark2410 6 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern beyerdynamic AK T8iE Review (First Impressions from IFA... 6 minutes ago
- › Somic v2 Headphone Review by mark2410 7 minutes ago
- › Replacing Sony MDR-XB950BT with Focal Sphear 9 minutes ago
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by ostewart
- › Philips Fidelio S2 by Jemuillot
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by ryanjsoo
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by hankaberle
- › Accutone Pavo by Cinder
- › Little Dot MK III by Beztis
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Malfunkt
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by bhazard
- › Brainwavz Jive by B9Scrambler
- › iFi Nano iUSB 3.0 Power Supply by Army-Firedawg
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...