I heard TEclast T51 and Nationiite S:Flo2 are the best for SQ, what do you guys think?
Related Forum Threads
- I am lost....need new everything Last post on 6/17/10 at 1:58pm in Portable Source Gear
- Help Deciding between full RWA iMod portable rig and HiFiMan HM-801, what is the ultimate rig... Last post on 8/10/10 at 4:36pm in Portable Source Gear
- where to buy S:Flo only on Mp4 nation? Last post on 6/29/10 at 1:33am in Portable Source Gear
- [REVIEW] Nationite s:flo² Last post on 12/18/10 at 5:50pm in Portable Source Gear
- RoCoo P DAP - Full Review Last post on 8/23/13 at 2:45pm in Portable Source Gear
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 12/4/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
I started this review with the intention of pointing out the things I don't like about it, but man, there really isn't much I don't love about these. Out of the box they sound very thin and...
It does a good job as a DAC for my starving student amp. Eventually, I will probably upgrade but it works well enough. It is nice that it powers off of USB and doesn't take up tons of space.
The review is based on the stock pads, not based on the upgraded velour pads. The only problem with the sound quality is a weird color in the upper mids, around vocal range. This is due to the...
The 880s don't have a lot of color to themselves. They're light comfortable cans that get the job done. They are a well rounded headphone good for someone who can't quite figure out what kind of...
Bass: solid, balanced and extended with excellent pitch. Can be Stygian and prodigious with the right recordings. Midrange: clear, coherent, tonally complex and saturated. Vocals are rendered with...
Best overall DAP/PMP out in the market now?post #1 of 227/12/10 at 8:02pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 227/12/10 at 8:04pm
Touchy interface and low battery life makes the T51 hard to say it's the best. However, unlike other DAPs it does have a real dedicated line out input. I would say cowon J3 or other cowon would be one of the best.post #3 of 227/12/10 at 8:15pm
Hmm the topic title is miss-leading in my opinion. Best at what? Are you only talking about SQ or worrying about other things?
I think the best three sounding DAPs on the market today would have to be the HiFiMan HM-801 -> iMod (Depending on the rest of the set up) -> s:flo2. If you start including other things that changes very quickly but when talking solely about SQ that's how I think it would go.post #4 of 227/12/10 at 8:18pmpost #5 of 227/12/10 at 10:52pm
From what I've read the s:flo2 leaves the Cowon's sounding lifeless and boring. I can't remember the exact words but I know of at least one situation when a user who owned both a J3 and s:flo2, and sold the J3 after hearing the s:flo2.post #6 of 227/13/10 at 12:38ampost #7 of 227/13/10 at 12:56am
^ See it's people like you who recommend a player no matter what the topic is that gets people confused and often miss informed.
Yes the J3 is a great player but it is not "the best DAP" in every single situation, and in my opinion SQ is one of those situations.post #8 of 227/13/10 at 1:47am
If we are to include movies in the equation (PMP:s should be able to handle that pretty well) the Cowon S9/J3 or the Sony X ought to be the best choices. That is, DAP:s/PMP:s not only based on SQ. Those AMOLED screens sure look nice.
EDIT: the title is a bit misleading as is asks for the best DAP overall and then the first post focuses on SQ. So what is it - best SQ or best overall DAP/PMP?
Edited by Danneq - 7/13/10 at 1:49ampost #9 of 227/13/10 at 2:06ampost #10 of 227/13/10 at 3:59ampost #11 of 227/13/10 at 4:57ampost #12 of 227/13/10 at 5:04am
Line-out SQ just brings out too many variables, but, yes, today's overall best sounding self-contained unit seems to be the HiFiMAN HM-801, but then again, I haven't heard ALL alternatives on the market, but heard quite a few.
I strongly prefer audio-only DAPs for music listening. I have found that the sound quality for universal players such as the iPods or Zunes is usually not that good, due to the fact that incorporating the video playback functionality and larger display forces the designers to use miniaturized DACs and other shortcuts to cram all those extra features into the unit. This obviously has a negative impact on audio performance. Jack of all trades, master of none.post #13 of 227/13/10 at 8:16amQuote:
post #14 of 227/13/10 at 2:07pmThread Starterpost #15 of 227/13/10 at 2:17pmQuote:
Preference is a HUGE deal! Battery life, EQ, user interface, sound quality, headphone out, line out, amp, no amp? Those are big questions to answer. Its not like deciding between a black or white iPod.
- Best overall DAP/PMP out in the market now?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › W/Rap Sucks 2.0..............................Rap/HipHop... 40 seconds ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback. 49 seconds ago
- › Is there diminishing return when it comes to headphone quality? 1 minute ago
- › PS4 Linear PCM: Night and day difference with Dolby Headphone 2 minutes ago
- › Speaker amps for headphones 2 minutes ago
- › 2013 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Exchange 2 minutes ago
- › Tube guy question: Long-tailed pair for gain stage in balanced... 3 minutes ago
- › Seattle Sunday New Year Meet 01/05/14 3 minutes ago
- › Denon Fully Automatic Turntable 3 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: HisoundAudio BA100 4 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by jshaffe
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones, Black by pataburd
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude