Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › My personal impressions on Meelec M6 (warning, big photos ahead!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My personal impressions on Meelec M6 (warning, big photos ahead!)

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

 

I finally got a pair of M6, and had a very hard time deciding the color. The black ones looked very stilish but the clear ones were utterly cool. Finally I opted for the black ones, being my favourite color for headphones.
 
They're the new model, with new cable and stainless steel memory wire (instead of the old copper one):
 
 
Please take into account that these are my personal views, and as such they may be subjective. I try to be as neutral as possible but it's not always easy to accomplish...
 
Building quality, appearance. This is the new box:
 
 
box.jpg
 
 
 
When I opened the box I found this:
 
entire.jpg
 
Plenty of accessories: a semi hard case, the cable-winding thinghie, the plane adapter and four sets of silicone tips, very similar in shape to the Sony hybrids (a bit oval shaped). The provided tri-flanges were not very useful to tell the truth, because they are very small at the tip to be used with such a shallow insertion design. Here is a photo of the tips (it's a Meelec stock photo):
 
Tips
 
The cable is marvellous, with no microphonics at all, and the stainless steel memory wire is very flexible and doesn't get in the way when putting on and off the phones. The casings are beautiful but I wasn't impressed by the finish, as it is not as impeccable as other phones I've had in my hands, but none of them was as cheap, so they're adequately finished for the price. They looked like much more expensive phones, certainly.
 
The cable is rock-solid, as are the strain reliefs. The plug is L-shaped, and extremely low profiled, perfect for my small Sansa Clip+. Even though the plug is small, it is solid, too. I've abused it a bit to test its resistance and I haven't been able to bend or break it. Good building quality!
 
Comfort, wearing. These phones are designed to have a very shallow insertion, which is always problematic to me as tips tend to slide out of my ear canals easily, even if I clean them just before wearing the phones. So, when I tested them for the first time I was afraid that I won't be able to use the phones for long. The small tips didn't seal a bit (my ear canals look like funnels, very big on the outside, very small on the inside) so I tried the medium ones with similar results. Usually I don't even bother to take a look at the biggest tips, because they don't fit in my small ear canals, but then I thought that the shallow insertion together with my funnel shaped ear canals may be calling for such tips. So I tested the biggest tips to discover that the phones sitted perfectly on my ears with the tips gently covering the outer part of my ear canal! I never had such wearing comfort from over-the-ear IEMs.
 
The biggest tips didn't slide out because the phone housings were resting in the hear, avoiding the fall. Anyway, being a foam lover I've been using the phones with a somewhat large foam tips coming from some old SoundMAGIC model, don't ask me which one 'cause I don't remember! Foamies were extremely comfortable, even more than the biggest tips. They are a problem when inserting the phones, but...
 
What surprised me the most were the ear hooks/memory wires. They were completely unobstrusive, kept the cable in place, I barely felt them over my ears even though I wear glasses and ear hooks usually don't get along well with glasses, and the bent easily but kept the shape firmly. In my humble opinion, the best ear hooks I ever used. Just great.
 
Once the phones are in my ears, I don't notice them and they're barely visible from the front. From the side, they look quite cool, being black and shiny. They take some attention, that's for sure ;)
 
It's a pity that the new gray tips provided with the M9 doesn't fit the M6 (they slide out easily, staying on the ear canal...) because they give great isolation and comfort with shallow insertion
 
The only drawback I've found regarding wearing comfort is finding appropriate foam tips. The size that usually fits me is very small for the M6 because of the shallow insertion, but I solved the problem by using a bigger pair of tips and inserting them only halfway into the phone nozzle. When I made my own tips I can choose shape and size, so let's see if I can make a pair for the M6 ;) Still, I have to make some additional tests with more tips.
 
One of the tips I want to test is the Sony hybrids, but I can't find them on my town and I'm not ready to pay the high price without knowing if I will like them. The biggest silicone tips provided give a very good sound, so I'll use them.
 
Putting the headphones on is a bit tricky with foamies, because you have to be fast. For me, the best method is to straight the ear hook, press the foams and insert the phones as fast as I can. If I don't get the correct angle, I repeat. Not very fast but gives good results. I don't really think these phones can be worn with foamies unless they're big and soft, like Comply ones. 
 
Isolation, sound. Isolation is on par with similar models I've tested, but depends heavily on the tips used. The shallow insertion design means that a tip too small to block the outer part of the ear canal won't provide any isolation, while too big tips won't seal properly. It's a matter of trial and error, and it is worth the time, because the sound quality depends heavily on tips, too. They isolate less than the M9 or M11, for example, but the increase in sound quality pays for the difference. Once the music is playing you barely notice any outside noise, and they're very sensitive, so you have extra volume to play with if you feel like that.
 
Once you've chosen the best tips that fits your ear canals is when these puppies shine. The detail is amazing, and it's probably what I like the most from these phones. Nothing to envy to the JVC HA-FXC50, which are my referent in detail and clarity. Basses are deep and tight, not eating into the rest of frequencies, leaving very clean mids and voices, thus allowing for great detail and clarity.
 
The highs are bright and sparkling without being harsh or cold. The result is a very well balanced phone, although basses could be a bit more controlled. Not that I know a lot of accoustics, unfortunately, but I have the impression that the shallow insertion allows a lot of resonance in the ear canal, rendering it a bass reflex chamber or something like that. Although the basses doesn't eat the other frequencies, they're prominent and depend on the tips, so again: try as many as you can. Beware: basses are not enough for bass-junkies. They're there, they're prominent, but they won't explode your head.
 
Soundstage usually doesn't bother me, and in fact I don't like very wide soundstages because I keep turning my head thinking that some sound comes from the real world and not from the music, specially when I listen to new music. With the first tips I tested (the smallest ones), the soundstage was so wide that I couldn't distinguish the sound coming from the movie I was watching from the street noises. I kept turning my head, removing the phones, etc.
 
With the appropriate tips, the soundstage was reasonably wide. Much wider than any other phone I have, but not enough that you don't know where the sound is coming from.
 
Instrument separation is great, allowing to enjoy every separate bit of the music. Perfect for classical, I would say.
 
They're very sensitive, but they don't hiss at all, so don't worry about it.
 
Summing up. These phones are reasonably cheap for the sound quality they provide. Being objective, forget all I've said in the paragraphs above and just take this: they sound extremely good for the price. They're, right now, the phones I like the best in my collection in terms of sound quality. In terms of sound quality vs. price, I think the M9 are unbeatable, but the thing is that I don't think that there are a cheaper phone that sounds better than the M9.
 
They're very comfortable, cool, reasonably cheap, well built, etc. I don't think that anybody getting these can feel disappointed. I haven't tested many phones in this price range, but the M6 beats them all. It's all a matter of opinion, of course, but I really feel this is a great product.
 
The most important drawback, in my opinion, are the tips. The tri-flanges are almost useless unless you have very very small ear canals, and a bi-flange similar to the new grey one provided with the M9 would be better IMHO. Also, foam tips would be a very big extra.
 
Thumbs up for Meelec for this great product, probably the best one in Meelec's offer, and for their excellent customer care service. Also, for listening to the suggestions :)
 
Have fun!
post #2 of 17

Thanks for your thoughts, good to see that you like the M6 as well. Funny but the old version of the M6 (with the horribly microphonic cord and the copper memory wire) actually came with soundmagic-style foam tips. They weren't very soft and Meelec ended up dropping them for rev.2 of the earphone but originally they did exist.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by DervishD View Post

Thumbs up for Meelec for this great product, probably the best one in Meelec's offer, and for their excellent customer care service. Also, for listening to the suggestions :)


Yep, this last part is mind-blowing as most companies wait a full model cycle to refresh models to keep up with customer demands, if at all - look how long It took Shure to outfit the SE530 with a nicer cable - but Meelec has gone through three iterations of the M6 in a year, each one a clear improvement on the last in usability. And now the lackluster-sounding M11 is getting a reboot as the M11+ less than a year after its release. Very interested in whatever they come up with next .

post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

Thanks for your thoughts, good to see that you like the M6 as well. Funny but the old version of the M6 (with the horribly microphonic cord and the copper memory wire) actually came with soundmagic-style foam tips. They weren't very soft and Meelec ended up dropping them for rev.2 of the earphone but originally they did exist.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by DervishD View Post

Thumbs up for Meelec for this great product, probably the best one in Meelec's offer, and for their excellent customer care service. Also, for listening to the suggestions :)


Yep, this last part is mind-blowing as most companies wait a full model cycle to refresh models to keep up with customer demands, if at all - look how long It took Shure to outfit the SE530 with a nicer cable - but Meelec has gone through three iterations of the M6 in a year, each one a clear improvement on the last in usability. And now the lackluster-sounding M11 is getting a reboot as the M11+ less than a year after its release. Very interested in whatever they come up with next .


Thanks to you: your recommendations were decisive to order the M6 :) And yes, funny the part about the foamies. A pity they dropped them. I just hope they change their minds about it ;)

 

Listening to their customers is, IMHO, what makes Meelec so great. They're responsive, gentle, and change their products if the customers ask for it. Look at the stainless steel memory wire. The copper one had problems and Meelec changed it, and fast. The same goes for the cables in all models, or the new, longer barrels of the M9 model.

 

I'm very interested in anything new they release, really :)

post #4 of 17

Nice impressions!  I have to disagree however on the M6's being shallow insertion.  They are the deepest insertion phones I have heard/had since the Ety ER4S.  I use medium to large tips on my collection and use the tri-flanges on my M6's.  They insert so deep and lock in so tight it's like snapping rivets into my ears.  Are you sure you have the housing seated properly?  They really lock in to your ears, try twisting them in perhaps?  Sorry, but these are the most secure IEM's I have ever put in my ears.  The Ety's went deeper but are less secure.  The Coppers were the shallowest insertion I ever had.  They needed more air to sound right for me, on the verge of losing seal and falling out.

post #5 of 17

Nice impressions. I got a pair of M9 not too long ago and they are quite the nice budget pair and their cables are very nice :)

post #6 of 17

 

 

Quote:
They insert so deep and lock in so tight it's like snapping rivets into my ears. 

 

I have the same experience with them. However, this wasn't so much the case with the stock tips. It was the Sony Hybrids that really did it. The memory wire is so unapparent in feel that it just seems like a plain cable that magically stays in place.

 

I spend a lot of time on a punching bag, head weaving and moving with jarring hits that would cause most IEMs I wore to eventually pop out. The M6 stays defiantly sealed.

 

Maybe the vocals are a bit recessed, and the bass could stand for more control. More than acceptable for cheap workout 'phones.

post #7 of 17

x2 on the vocals/mids and bass control.  Eq helps a bit, and they are still fantastic for what they are which matches well w/ the Clip+ and Fiio E5 which are also fantastic for what those are.

post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

x2 on the vocals/mids and bass control.  Eq helps a bit, and they are still fantastic for what they are which matches well w/ the Clip+ and Fiio E5 which are also fantastic for what those are.

From what I've heard, the rockbox equalizer is of a better quality than the hardware one on the E5, and obviously gives you much more control. Since rockbox is free, it may be worth trying. Just remember that I don't actually own an E5, so the above statement is hearsay.
 

post #9 of 17

I've tried rockbox on the Clip+.  I have yet to update my build w/ something more stable though.  It doesn't fix the main deficiencies I feel the Clip+ has.  The E5 just helps bring more out of my IEM's regardless of what the Clip is or isn't providing.    

post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

Nice impressions!  I have to disagree however on the M6's being shallow insertion.  They are the deepest insertion phones I have heard/had since the Ety ER4S.  I use medium to large tips on my collection and use the tri-flanges on my M6's.  They insert so deep and lock in so tight it's like snapping rivets into my ears.  Are you sure you have the housing seated properly?  They really lock in to your ears, try twisting them in perhaps?  Sorry, but these are the most secure IEM's I have ever put in my ears.  The Ety's went deeper but are less secure.  The Coppers were the shallowest insertion I ever had.  They needed more air to sound right for me, on the verge of losing seal and falling out.


Of course, that's why this are called "personal impressions"! Probably the shape of my outer ear is preventing me from having a deep insertion. To insert them deeply I don't have to twist them, more to "tilt" them. But then they pop out to the "equilibrium place" (so to say) with a shallow insertion. Not bad, because sound is perfect that way (even better than when I insert them deeply), but I have to use bigger tips and probably foamies are out of the question.

 

And yes, they lock in your ears, that's pretty fantastic because you can even use them for running or workout, they stay in place :) Nice buddies, right?

post #11 of 17

They are fantastic.  I look at some other phones 'designed' for workout or running and cringe.  The M6's are clean, simple and functional.  They sound pretty good too (w/ EQ).

 

 

Congrats on the World Cup by the way.

post #12 of 17

I wonder if there is a difference in sound between the clear and black M6. The cases aren't just different colors, one is translucent, which sometimes means a different kind of plastic. Possibly with a different density. Just a random thought.

post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFi View Post

I wonder if there is a difference in sound between the clear and black M6. The cases aren't just different colors, one is translucent, which sometimes means a different kind of plastic. Possibly with a different density. Just a random thought.


Lol, if someone were concerned to that level the M6's probably aren't the best choice anyway.    So which is denser?!  

post #14 of 17

Holy Crap!  Meelec support is fast as hell.  I found out the M11 tips I ordered had an extra large tip rather than the correct medium size tip.  Sent them an email about 5 minutes ago, they responded after a few minutes saying they are sending out a replacement tomorrow!!  

post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

Holy Crap!  Meelec support is fast as hell.  I found out the M11 tips I ordered had an extra large tip rather than the correct medium size tip.  Sent them an email about 5 minutes ago, they responded after a few minutes saying they are sending out a replacement tomorrow!!  



MEElec has excellent customer service.  I once had to exchange an M6 and literally  got the new replacement the next day

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › My personal impressions on Meelec M6 (warning, big photos ahead!)