Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Thunderpants!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thunderpants! - Page 5

post #61 of 2199

my cops are usually somewhere between 3/4 to 1" thick. one thing to watch for when buying wood from ebay is to make sure it's properly dried or you may end up with a soggy lump of uselessness like I have a couple of times. Damp wood is next to worthless so make sure you buy dry stuff. That seller isn't specifying condition so beware.

post #62 of 2199

A bunch of people starting a T50RP modding project around the same time?  Consider me in.  I've been needing a closed pair of phones, lately.  I know there are a number of wood blanks sellers online - they'll likely end up being a bit more expensive than eBay, though.  I know a number of billiards cue builders have used Bell Forest Products (here's a link to their bowl blanks: http://www.bellforestproducts.com/bowl-blanks/).  Condition is specified, at the very least.  My own T50RPs are at least a week out.

post #63 of 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeggy View Post

my cops are usually somewhere between 3/4 to 1" thick. one thing to watch for when buying wood from ebay is to make sure it's properly dried or you may end up with a soggy lump of uselessness like I have a couple of times. Damp wood is next to worthless so make sure you buy dry stuff. That seller isn't specifying condition so beware.


What is the upper limit to the amount of moisture one should consider when buying bowl blanks?

post #64 of 2199

Hey guys, Got my wood!

 

Found a guy near me with a piece of rock maple in the perfect dinensions, a 2 foot board thats 3 inches thick gives me plenty of wood to work with and the rock maple is hard as anything that u can work with  (no ironwood here!).

 

Oh, and it cost 5$. That was nice as well. I think we should have a competition to see who can do thier mod for the least ammount of money. that would be interesting : ).

post #65 of 2199

funny you should mention ironwood.. ;)

 

And yes, it's hard to work.

post #66 of 2199

 

Hey guys, 

 

Ive forgotten the name of it. what was the reference album produced by hifiman or somone along those lines. it came out fairly recently and i believe its been mentioned a few times in this thread. 

 

I tryed to search reference album and permutations of that but i was met with very limited success. 

post #67 of 2199

open your ears

 

hd tracks

 

right?

post #68 of 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaudlyDamage View Post

Hey guys, Got my wood!

 

Found a guy near me with a piece of rock maple in the perfect dinensions, a 2 foot board thats 3 inches thick gives me plenty of wood to work with and the rock maple is hard as anything that u can work with  (no ironwood here!).

 

Oh, and it cost 5$. That was nice as well. I think we should have a competition to see who can do thier mod for the least ammount of money. that would be interesting : ).


I already have "Superfelt", bitumen, leather, memory foam, and a nice 4.5 foot long plank of 1 inch thick purpleheart wood left over from my Smeggipucks, or when I finally get to them. And I can borrow tools from a friend. I might have the upper hand.

post #69 of 2199

heyheyhey, that's cheatin! xD. I don't have any of that lying around so i think this competition only extends to people who are actually buying the parts. 

 

2 questions. 1, does anyone have any comparison between dynamat and 100% wool felt as far as damping properties go? and 2, has anyone tried any denon replacement pads as an alternative to the 100$ (used) O2 pads? 

 

sorry, i lied, 1 More question! I've seen a version of the mod where you keep the original baffle but fill it with epoxy putty, how does that sound? 

 

Thanks for the album and i don't mean to be a jerk but does anyone have that as a torrent : ). Not trying to rip the guys at HD tracks off, just a starving student!

 

Till next post!

post #70 of 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaudlyDamage View Post

heyheyhey, that's cheatin! xD. I don't have any of that lying around so i think this competition only extends to people who are actually buying the parts. 

 

= 2, has anyone tried any denon replacement pads as an alternative to the 100$ (used) O2 pads? 

 

Well I'll total up the approximate cost haha. Hrm the felt was $4 for a square yard, wood about $10, memory foam was...yeah I don't remember. Leather was $15 for a yard. Bitumen was $5.

 

I might be able to make some extra pads for some people...if you don't mind waiting until winter for them.
 

post #71 of 2199

anyway i could motivate you to make some before winter? 

post #72 of 2199

 


The dynamat stuff can be found on ebay at 30 bucks for a large piece, more than you'll ever need for headphones. Heavy stuff. Feels like playing with old chewed up gum. I think its more suitable as a mass damping material than acoustic damping material. Are you talking about jmoney Denon pads? I'm waiting for that stuff to come out, but its been ages since the maker give any response...
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post



Well I'll total up the approximate cost haha. Hrm the felt was $4 for a square yard, wood about $10, memory foam was...yeah I don't remember. Leather was $15 for a yard. Bitumen was $5.

 

I might be able to make some extra pads for some people...if you don't mind waiting until winter for them.
 

 


You made your own pads?! 

post #73 of 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post

 

I might be able to make some extra pads for some people...if you don't mind waiting until winter for them.
 


I wouldn't mind waiting that long :D

post #74 of 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by ujamerstand View Post

You made your own pads?! 


How do you think J$ makes his pads?  He just uses a die to cut the leather consistently in one shot versus scissors, but he sews each pair on a sewing machine then finishes them by hand.  It's not that hard once you have the patterns.   

post #75 of 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaudlyDamage View Post

anyway i could motivate you to make some before winter? 


Haha nooooo. School's coming up and I'm taking the whole month of August to make my speakers. Can't make them during school, I'd get obsessed and not focus on my studies. Need to raise my GPA. It's only 4.0... Need a lot higher to get into MIT. Or at least Rose-Hulman.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujamerstand View Post

 


The dynamat stuff can be found on ebay at 30 bucks for a large piece, more than you'll ever need for headphones. Heavy stuff. Feels like playing with old chewed up gum. I think its more suitable as a mass damping material than acoustic damping material.
 

 

 

Wouldn't the parts express bitumen-like stuff work too? Sachu uses that right?

 

You made your own pads?! 


Well, will make. The only hard part will be cutting the memory foam. I sew like a pro...blind guy. They won't be Jmoney quality, obviously but they'll work well enough, and more importanly, be cheaper.  Maybe $40? I'll have to see how much time it takes for me to make them. I'm guessing at least 4 hours a pair, but that could be way off and I'd have to dedicate days for a pair. I've successfully sewn together every pair of pads that's ripped open on me.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post


I wouldn't mind waiting that long :D

 

Certainly wouldn't mind making a pair for the big Dog of Head-Philes! If they don't turn out horribly of course. I'll post a pic when I get done with them. I'll only make more if you guys are satisfied with them. Shoot I still have to make Mad Lust Envy a pair for his ES7s...
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Thunderpants!