Bigrock2150, I'm going to do the mod as well. perhaps we could share ideas and compare procedures? Shoot me a pm!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Good Studio/Home Cans Last post on 9/4/11 at 5:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Many, many doubts. Last post on 7/5/11 at 3:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any comfortable Over-ear Headphones under $150??? Last post on 1/19/13 at 3:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mr Speakers Mad Dog vs Smeggy's Thunderpants ( Fostex T50RP MODS ) Last post on 8/27/12 at 9:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Comfortable Headphones With Low Clamping Force From $200 To $1000 Last post on 10/25/12 at 5:30am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The urbanite xl wireless is seemingly targeting the younger audience with its stylish looks,bluetooth connectivity and a bass emphasis.But does this deliver like it is intended to?Let's run through...
I was looking for a solution to simultaneously listen and charge an iPhone7, since Apple decided to ditch the 3.5 mm jack output. This one, which I got on Aliexpress, does the job. Soundwise, it...
Final F7200 Earphone review I will start this review of the Final F7200 earphones by saying that I am not going to include photos or technical specifications, as these have been very well covered...
MBC/ PINOYMAN's review: The TFZ series 1 Iem. Id like to thank Christopher Gatchalian for lending me his pair unit for the purpose of this review. Shell: clear in smoke black. Cable: quality is...
This is a review of the Cambridge DacMagic Plus DAC/headphone amp/pre amp. The Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus was sent to me by Cambridge Audio in the UK as a loaner for the purpose of doing this...
Thunderpants! - Page 3post #31 of 22077/21/10 at 10:22am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 22077/21/10 at 11:38ampost #33 of 22077/21/10 at 1:27pmQuote:
Yeah sure, sounds like a plan. I ordered the T50rp last night so as soon as they arrive I'll let you know.post #34 of 22077/21/10 at 1:40pm
Hey, keep me posted! I'm gonna be doing this as well.
On a side note, I'm kinda surprised how good they sound stock after one day of burn. Pretty damn good, one of the best bang per buck items in my possession for sure.post #35 of 22077/21/10 at 1:48pmpost #36 of 22077/21/10 at 2:01pm
I think i might join you guys, the only problem I have is... How do i make the cups? I have a fully furnished woodshop sans bandsaw and lathe. I also have a ton of metal working stuff. Nothing big however. I was actually thinking of making some he90 or lcd-02 style cups. I thought I could use the baffle/metal cover like the lcd-2 does to create some back pressure. Possibly using it for tuning etc. Speggy, have you tried the t50rp drivers fully open? Any thoughts?
post #37 of 22077/21/10 at 2:09pmpost #38 of 22077/21/10 at 2:09pm
Page 916 of the orthodynamic round up has the deminsions for the cups. let me know if you start making them! Also, for this group of moders (myself included) to comunicate better than we could with just a thread or Pm's. I sugest we all exchange gmail information and thus google talk information. if you dont ahve a gmail, never fear. im sure we can find another way to comunicate with ease.post #39 of 22077/21/10 at 2:59pm
Yeah, I think we can just set up a separate thread so we can consult with each other.
To muad, making the cups with your lathe shouldn't be too hard, as long as you have chisels for basic bowl making you'll most likely be fine. Looking at smeggy's design it looks like a fairly basic cup. I might be able to help you out when we all reach that point.
I'm not so good with setting up threads, so if one of you guys could set one up for us that would be great!post #40 of 22077/21/10 at 3:07pm
Making the cups isn't all that hard (though finishing them like Smeggy does..umm I think that is a tall tall order for someone who isn't experienced with woodworking), tuning them however is a different ball game altogether. THen there is the matter of making the baffle which apparently is the harder part of making the cups and the chance of ruining the solder pads on the driver if you aren't careful.
As for tuning the stock T50Rp..mass damping the cups and baffle is the first issue..mine was significantly heavier once I was done with it. This is easily done with speaker caulk, blue tak and dynamat.
Next is the acoustic damping that you fine tune over several iterations depending on your tastes which is where things get interesting and is a whole lot of fun.
Edited by sachu - 7/21/10 at 3:11pmpost #41 of 22077/21/10 at 3:34pm
Sachu, so did smeggy refine his dampening method? On page 916 in the ortho roundup thread it looked like he just used a couple pieces of felt to dampen. Or is using dynamat, speaker caulk and blue tak better in your experience?
I have around 3-4 years of turning (using the lathe) experience so hopefully I can provide some help to others. I wonder if using wood for the baffle would work as well? In the tread smeggy used a dense plastic and turned them on a lathe, seems like wood might be easier to work with.post #42 of 22077/21/10 at 4:24pm
Yup, wood or plastic will do fine for the baffles. I've used everything I can get my hands on to try. Wood is easiest to work with and most predictable. Damping, same again. I try every daft thing I can think of to try. I do it for fun so every time I start it's different from the rest otherwise it'd get boring and just become a production line. I do this because I like doing it but I'm getting less play time these days so it's a treat to get into the shop these days. The T50 still has the potential to be one of the best phones around so don't be afraid to play around and try things. Making them sound good isn't magic, just solid engineering, so as long as you can make a good solid housing you are 90% of the way there.
I have a metric butload of power tools to make life easier but they can be made with fairly rudimentary tools and some elbow grease if you're not too bothered about their looks.post #43 of 22077/21/10 at 4:37pmQuote:
All these 3 needed or just 1? Which one do you think is best used? TIA.post #44 of 22077/21/10 at 4:42pmpost #45 of 22077/21/10 at 5:04pm
Sachu, for the sake of the whole forum and my newb self... could you post a pic please :) Edit: Only if it's not too much work to take the headphone apart. I don;t want to be too much of a pain!
Smeggy, how does the t50rp respond to being open air? Im gonna assume a complete loss of bass and lower mids? I don't really have the money to buy shetloads of quality wood so I need to decide if I have to go open or closed before I start. Im dying to hear what an ortho sounds like btw...
Edited by muad - 7/21/10 at 5:05pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 1 minute ago
- › Benjie S5 Offical Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 2 minutes ago
- › DAC/AMP for Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation) 3 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 7 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 7 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 8 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN RE-00 Earphone Review by mark2410 8 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless by Rafique Adzam
- › Mcdodo Lightning to Audio Cable (for iPhone 7) w/ charging function by Webkarma
- › Final F7200 by malcolm.mcintyre
- › TFZ Series 1 by pinoyman
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by peter123
- › HiFiMAN RE-00 by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Kerry56
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by Kerry56
- › Philips Shp8000/10 Hi-Fi Headphones - Black by Redcarmoose
- › Sony MDRXB400/BLU Extra Bass Over The Head 30 mm Driver Headphone,... by InternPrimas
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...