Ceramic has the tiny dents in it which acts like acoustic foam. I hear it's very nice for bounching frequencies off of. Same as wood. But with wood you would need the acoustic foam. Ceramic is pretty easy to drill through, just use a metal bit. Glass would be awesome though for the drivers. If you could get it clear, that would be one of a kind. Like a custom IEM. Very cool!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Good Studio/Home Cans Last post on 9/4/11 at 5:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Many, many doubts. Last post on 7/5/11 at 3:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any comfortable Over-ear Headphones under $150??? Last post on 1/19/13 at 3:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mr Speakers Mad Dog vs Smeggy's Thunderpants ( Fostex T50RP MODS ) Last post on 8/27/12 at 9:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Comfortable Headphones With Low Clamping Force From $200 To $1000 Last post on 10/25/12 at 5:30am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This is my second round with these "holy grail" of headphones. First time around I was just laughing at it's meager power capability. The sound was good, but not mind blowing. Zero sub bass...
First of all, I’d like to thank iBasso for sending me a review sample of the D14. iBasso have really established themselves as a big name in portable audio devices and after reviewing both their...
Introduction: The whole reason I purchased these was because of jekostas review of the Bette 8MM 1+1 Hybrid: The 10MM version is going to mirror a lot of the 8MM, though I do not have the...
Forgive me in advance for this review won't be focused too much on the sound. From the little while that I was able to listen to these headphones, they sounded amazing. They had a neutral tone...
First of all I would like to thank Hifinage (http://www.hifinage.com/) for arranging a review tour and sending this to me. They are really stepping up their game and slowly increasing the product...
Thunderpants! - Page 139post #2071 of 22075/9/12 at 7:51pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2072 of 22075/9/12 at 8:04pm
Glass is $7 per cm^3 ---- VERY expensive
Ceramic is $0.20 per cm^2 (surface area)
Ceramic's have strict rules because of the glazing http://www.shapeways.com/design-rules/ceramics
Maybe I can keep the inside of the cups unglazed to preserve the relatively flat edge that will touch the baffles.
Also, should I make the baffles out of ceramic, or would wood or foam board be better?
Perrypost #2073 of 22075/9/12 at 8:09pm
Wood and foam board would cut down on weight. Although it depends. Wood would sound the best. Smeggy uses wood on his.post #2074 of 22075/9/12 at 8:16pm
So, for the cups, would: wood, ceramic, nylon, or alumide sound the best? I just found some wood cups for $30 on ebay and baffles for $5.
And which of the above materials for the baffles would sound the best?post #2075 of 22075/9/12 at 8:45pmpost #2076 of 22075/9/12 at 8:50pm
Wooden baffles would sound the best. Wooden everything is what Smeggy uses. It has little pores in the wood and it makes the sound frequencies bounce back the best or something. I am not sure how it works but it's probably the nicest sounding and looking.post #2077 of 22075/9/12 at 8:57pmpost #2078 of 22075/9/12 at 9:40pmpost #2079 of 22075/9/12 at 9:48pmpost #2080 of 22075/9/12 at 11:21pmpost #2081 of 22075/10/12 at 8:30ampost #2082 of 22075/10/12 at 9:36am
My katalox Smeggy Thunderpants weigh in at 18oz for comparison.post #2083 of 22075/13/12 at 11:47ampost #2084 of 22075/13/12 at 12:19pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition Thread 36 seconds ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 38 seconds ago
- › Need help picking a pair of headphones 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S 2 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K7xx Limited Edition -- Like New in Box 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by snellemin
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by lin0003
- › Bette 10MM 1+1 Hybrid Wood Black by BloodyPenguin
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by sk2290
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by wrathzombie
- › RHA T20 by Wyd4
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Stillhart
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by LandonO
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3