Ceramic has the tiny dents in it which acts like acoustic foam. I hear it's very nice for bounching frequencies off of. Same as wood. But with wood you would need the acoustic foam. Ceramic is pretty easy to drill through, just use a metal bit. Glass would be awesome though for the drivers. If you could get it clear, that would be one of a kind. Like a custom IEM. Very cool!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Good Studio/Home Cans Last post on 9/4/11 at 5:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Many, many doubts. Last post on 7/5/11 at 3:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any comfortable Over-ear Headphones under $150??? Last post on 1/19/13 at 3:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mr Speakers Mad Dog vs Smeggy's Thunderpants ( Fostex T50RP MODS ) Last post on 8/27/12 at 9:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Comfortable Headphones With Low Clamping Force From $200 To $1000 Last post on 10/25/12 at 5:30am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The iFi Audio Micro iDSD was sent to me by iFi with help from their Norwegian distributor Audioaktøren for the purpose of doing this review and including it in my recently started $250+ amp/DAC...
This is pretty much the same weightless, rickety, tiny player apparently offered by Kogan, oRiver, Ritmix, etc. It comes decently boxed with a soft pouch, USB cable, and nice looking (if...
Aune M2 Pro Review Intro : Since the past few years I had kept myself away from trying out any new DAPs or audio gear since I was pretty satisfied with my Fiio X5 (1st gen) and Sansa Clip...
The product was provided to me free of charge for the review purpose in exchange for my honest opinion. The review was originally posted on my blog, and now I would like to share it with all my...
Some "Provenance" to the Brand Name: Ocharaku is a "tea themed" company based in Japan. Focusing on Dynamic Driver IEM's, Ocharaku pushes the envelope when it comes to breaking the negative...
Thunderpants! - Page 139post #2071 of 22075/9/12 at 7:51pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2072 of 22075/9/12 at 8:04pm
Glass is $7 per cm^3 ---- VERY expensive
Ceramic is $0.20 per cm^2 (surface area)
Ceramic's have strict rules because of the glazing http://www.shapeways.com/design-rules/ceramics
Maybe I can keep the inside of the cups unglazed to preserve the relatively flat edge that will touch the baffles.
Also, should I make the baffles out of ceramic, or would wood or foam board be better?
Perrypost #2073 of 22075/9/12 at 8:09pm
Wood and foam board would cut down on weight. Although it depends. Wood would sound the best. Smeggy uses wood on his.post #2074 of 22075/9/12 at 8:16pm
So, for the cups, would: wood, ceramic, nylon, or alumide sound the best? I just found some wood cups for $30 on ebay and baffles for $5.
And which of the above materials for the baffles would sound the best?post #2075 of 22075/9/12 at 8:45pmpost #2076 of 22075/9/12 at 8:50pm
Wooden baffles would sound the best. Wooden everything is what Smeggy uses. It has little pores in the wood and it makes the sound frequencies bounce back the best or something. I am not sure how it works but it's probably the nicest sounding and looking.post #2077 of 22075/9/12 at 8:57pmpost #2078 of 22075/9/12 at 9:40pmpost #2079 of 22075/9/12 at 9:48pmpost #2080 of 22075/9/12 at 11:21pmpost #2081 of 22075/10/12 at 8:30ampost #2082 of 22075/10/12 at 9:36am
My katalox Smeggy Thunderpants weigh in at 18oz for comparison.post #2083 of 22075/13/12 at 11:47ampost #2084 of 22075/13/12 at 12:19pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 17 seconds ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 30 seconds ago
- › It's okay if you missed your prom 43 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › LTTF/ LTB Chord Mojo 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 3 minutes ago
- › Headphones recommendation 3 minutes ago
- › Seiun player, $150 player with monster spec. Too good to be true? 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier 4 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by peter123
- › Basic M90 by Lad3
- › Aune M2 32BIT DSD portable music player by Faheem
- › Westone MMCX Bluetooth Cable, 78548 by twister6
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by kevingzw
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by crabdog
- › Mixcder ShareMe Wireless Bluetooth Headphones,Built in Mic for... by iancraig10
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by pkshiu
- › Superlux HD-668 B by HiFiChris
- › Meze 99 Classics by HansBarbarossa
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...