Ceramic has the tiny dents in it which acts like acoustic foam. I hear it's very nice for bounching frequencies off of. Same as wood. But with wood you would need the acoustic foam. Ceramic is pretty easy to drill through, just use a metal bit. Glass would be awesome though for the drivers. If you could get it clear, that would be one of a kind. Like a custom IEM. Very cool!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Good Studio/Home Cans Last post on 9/4/11 at 5:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Many, many doubts. Last post on 7/5/11 at 3:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any comfortable Over-ear Headphones under $150??? Last post on 1/19/13 at 3:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mr Speakers Mad Dog vs Smeggy's Thunderpants ( Fostex T50RP MODS ) Last post on 8/27/12 at 9:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Comfortable Headphones With Low Clamping Force From $200 To $1000 Last post on 10/25/12 at 5:30am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
There aren't many sub-$10 IEMs in the market. With all the recent budget IEMs being priced at around $50, it leaves very little choice for people who are looking for a very cheap IEM. As far as I...
Since I was among the early adopters of this updated 2.0 version of R3, I already posted a detailed review with pictures in the original R3 review thread. Therefore, I'm just going to provide a...
Im probably like you right now, I was once reading reviews a bunch of comments, watching a bunch of videos of what to purchase... and everyone kept suggesting the ATH-M50x, so in a frantic search...
First I'd like to thank Brainwavz for the opportunity to review these. As others did, I received a review pair to keep. It was a very generous gesture. Plenty of people have already posted all the...
Comply foam tip should need no introduction at this point, as it has become a norm for many brand name IEM to include a pair of them. But what we are talking here is something new – or should I say...
Thunderpants! - Page 139post #2071 of 21995/9/12 at 7:51pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2072 of 21995/9/12 at 8:04pm
Glass is $7 per cm^3 ---- VERY expensive
Ceramic is $0.20 per cm^2 (surface area)
Ceramic's have strict rules because of the glazing http://www.shapeways.com/design-rules/ceramics
Maybe I can keep the inside of the cups unglazed to preserve the relatively flat edge that will touch the baffles.
Also, should I make the baffles out of ceramic, or would wood or foam board be better?
Perrypost #2073 of 21995/9/12 at 8:09pm
Wood and foam board would cut down on weight. Although it depends. Wood would sound the best. Smeggy uses wood on his.post #2074 of 21995/9/12 at 8:16pm
So, for the cups, would: wood, ceramic, nylon, or alumide sound the best? I just found some wood cups for $30 on ebay and baffles for $5.
And which of the above materials for the baffles would sound the best?post #2075 of 21995/9/12 at 8:45pmpost #2076 of 21995/9/12 at 8:50pm
Wooden baffles would sound the best. Wooden everything is what Smeggy uses. It has little pores in the wood and it makes the sound frequencies bounce back the best or something. I am not sure how it works but it's probably the nicest sounding and looking.post #2077 of 21995/9/12 at 8:57pmpost #2078 of 21995/9/12 at 9:40pmpost #2079 of 21995/9/12 at 9:48pmpost #2080 of 21995/9/12 at 11:21pmpost #2081 of 21995/10/12 at 8:30ampost #2082 of 21995/10/12 at 9:36am
My katalox Smeggy Thunderpants weigh in at 18oz for comparison.post #2083 of 21995/13/12 at 11:47ampost #2084 of 21995/13/12 at 12:19pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2.0 10 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 1 minute ago
- › Sold my ipod classic and starting over.. Recommendation for DAP?... 1 minute ago
- › DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way... 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Modern Source/Mp3 Player recommendation 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK... 3 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 3 minutes ago
- › Moon Audio Ambassadors Program! 3 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by DwightLooi
- › FIDUE A81 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones Heaphones with High-End... by Brooko
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by monitorlove
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by ballbarn
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)