Ceramic has the tiny dents in it which acts like acoustic foam. I hear it's very nice for bounching frequencies off of. Same as wood. But with wood you would need the acoustic foam. Ceramic is pretty easy to drill through, just use a metal bit. Glass would be awesome though for the drivers. If you could get it clear, that would be one of a kind. Like a custom IEM. Very cool!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Good Studio/Home Cans Last post on 9/4/11 at 5:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Many, many doubts. Last post on 7/5/11 at 3:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any comfortable Over-ear Headphones under $150??? Last post on 1/19/13 at 3:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mr Speakers Mad Dog vs Smeggy's Thunderpants ( Fostex T50RP MODS ) Last post on 8/27/12 at 9:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Comfortable Headphones With Low Clamping Force From $200 To $1000 Last post on 10/25/12 at 5:30am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I have owned my Audeze LCD 3f for about one year and have enjoyed the headphone immensely. The one thing that bothered me about the LCD 3 was the fact that they just seem to always be slightly...
-- The RBH EP3 is a brand new model succeeding the EP1 & EP2. ~ All photos were taken by me, no stock pictures from the manufacturer were used ~ *Packaging* Simple Box, but...
In 2012 Burson Audio introduced the Musician Series of headphone amplifiers that brought significant technical enhancements to their popular classic HA-160 line. Acknowledging that even the best...
Audio Technica has a long history of making wood-cupped headphones, both in limited edition and production models. The W2002, their first famous limited edition model, is now a highly...
Being a proud yet protective grandpa I was very interested when Brainwavz offered to let me review a pair of sound level attenuated headphones for kids. I would love to pass on my...
Thunderpants! - Page 139post #2071 of 22075/9/12 at 7:51pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2072 of 22075/9/12 at 8:04pm
Glass is $7 per cm^3 ---- VERY expensive
Ceramic is $0.20 per cm^2 (surface area)
Ceramic's have strict rules because of the glazing http://www.shapeways.com/design-rules/ceramics
Maybe I can keep the inside of the cups unglazed to preserve the relatively flat edge that will touch the baffles.
Also, should I make the baffles out of ceramic, or would wood or foam board be better?
Perrypost #2073 of 22075/9/12 at 8:09pm
Wood and foam board would cut down on weight. Although it depends. Wood would sound the best. Smeggy uses wood on his.post #2074 of 22075/9/12 at 8:16pm
So, for the cups, would: wood, ceramic, nylon, or alumide sound the best? I just found some wood cups for $30 on ebay and baffles for $5.
And which of the above materials for the baffles would sound the best?post #2075 of 22075/9/12 at 8:45pmpost #2076 of 22075/9/12 at 8:50pm
Wooden baffles would sound the best. Wooden everything is what Smeggy uses. It has little pores in the wood and it makes the sound frequencies bounce back the best or something. I am not sure how it works but it's probably the nicest sounding and looking.post #2077 of 22075/9/12 at 8:57pmpost #2078 of 22075/9/12 at 9:40pmpost #2079 of 22075/9/12 at 9:48pmpost #2080 of 22075/9/12 at 11:21pmpost #2081 of 22075/10/12 at 8:30ampost #2082 of 22075/10/12 at 9:36am
My katalox Smeggy Thunderpants weigh in at 18oz for comparison.post #2083 of 22075/13/12 at 11:47ampost #2084 of 22075/13/12 at 12:19pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › ZMF Omni - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship 5 seconds ago
- › Headphone Sightings 2 9 seconds ago
- › Mid-fi cans well suited for classical music and good mids/trebel... 31 seconds ago
- › New member roll call 1 minute ago
- › Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor? 1 minute ago
- › Need help finding a pair of headphones for around 300$ 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR 4 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Hidizs AP100 (DAP) Support Team - Now on Head-fi! 5 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-1000 by Blackrain
- › RBH EP-3 Earphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Burson Audio Conductor Virtuoso DAC1 ESS9018 DAC and Headphone Preamp by iDesign
- › Audio-Technica ATH-W1000Z by Currawong
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by shockdoc
- › Shure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker... by Arvan
- › Pro-Ject Audio Head Box S USB by dnun8086
- › JVC Full-Size Headphones - Model HA-RX700 Wired Headphones by audiophilefan
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by audiophilefan
- › Axgio Sprint Sound Isolating Sport Stereo Bluetooth 4.1 Headphone,... by mark2410
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2