Ceramic has the tiny dents in it which acts like acoustic foam. I hear it's very nice for bounching frequencies off of. Same as wood. But with wood you would need the acoustic foam. Ceramic is pretty easy to drill through, just use a metal bit. Glass would be awesome though for the drivers. If you could get it clear, that would be one of a kind. Like a custom IEM. Very cool!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Good Studio/Home Cans Last post on 9/4/11 at 5:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Many, many doubts. Last post on 7/5/11 at 3:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any comfortable Over-ear Headphones under $150??? Last post on 1/19/13 at 3:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mr Speakers Mad Dog vs Smeggy's Thunderpants ( Fostex T50RP MODS ) Last post on 8/27/12 at 9:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Comfortable Headphones With Low Clamping Force From $200 To $1000 Last post on 10/25/12 at 5:30am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Wireless headphones…bluetooth even…last time I tried anything wireless was my cordless phone and before that was probably back in the “70’s” with an "all in one headphone with FM/AM radio", anyway...
So, I did a lot of reading when it came to this purchase, however, no amount of reviewing can objectively explain what you are actually going to hear when you plug them in - so I said 'screw it!'...
MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 – initial impressions Many thanks to @Tony-Hifi from HiFiHeadphones.co.uk for adding me to the UK tour for these earphones – the impressions below are based on the time I...
I am very glad that ONKYO released their new line of headphones into the North American market this June. I had been very curious about trying the ONKYO sound, but knowing new models were soon...
I love this little thing I really do. I bought it for myself as a present for a professional milestone. I can't tell you that it is worth almost 200 bucks, that's your call, but I don't regret the...
Thunderpants! - Page 139post #2071 of 22075/9/12 at 7:51pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2072 of 22075/9/12 at 8:04pm
Glass is $7 per cm^3 ---- VERY expensive
Ceramic is $0.20 per cm^2 (surface area)
Ceramic's have strict rules because of the glazing http://www.shapeways.com/design-rules/ceramics
Maybe I can keep the inside of the cups unglazed to preserve the relatively flat edge that will touch the baffles.
Also, should I make the baffles out of ceramic, or would wood or foam board be better?
Perrypost #2073 of 22075/9/12 at 8:09pm
Wood and foam board would cut down on weight. Although it depends. Wood would sound the best. Smeggy uses wood on his.post #2074 of 22075/9/12 at 8:16pm
So, for the cups, would: wood, ceramic, nylon, or alumide sound the best? I just found some wood cups for $30 on ebay and baffles for $5.
And which of the above materials for the baffles would sound the best?post #2075 of 22075/9/12 at 8:45pmpost #2076 of 22075/9/12 at 8:50pm
Wooden baffles would sound the best. Wooden everything is what Smeggy uses. It has little pores in the wood and it makes the sound frequencies bounce back the best or something. I am not sure how it works but it's probably the nicest sounding and looking.post #2077 of 22075/9/12 at 8:57pmpost #2078 of 22075/9/12 at 9:40pmpost #2079 of 22075/9/12 at 9:48pmpost #2080 of 22075/9/12 at 11:21pmpost #2081 of 22075/10/12 at 8:30ampost #2082 of 22075/10/12 at 9:36am
My katalox Smeggy Thunderpants weigh in at 18oz for comparison.post #2083 of 22075/13/12 at 11:47ampost #2084 of 22075/13/12 at 12:19pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 second ago
- › Open Ear Headphones Under $400 9 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 24 seconds ago
- › *Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread* 40 seconds ago
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts 42 seconds ago
- › MEE Audio M6 Pro vs. SoundMAGIC E10 2 minutes ago
- › Need new iems 3 minutes ago
- › E-MU Wooden Series Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Need advice on building a measurement system 3 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 4 minutes ago
- › Bluedio U (UFO) PPS 8 Drivers Over-ear Bluetooth Wireless Headphone... by Rob80b
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by desperategraves
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by Jackpot77
- › ONKYO sealed wireless headphone Bluetooth-enabled / NFC support /... by Sonic Defender
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by selfdude
- › Sparkos Labs SS3601 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by selfdude
- › Cascadia Audio Talos by keanex
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by fjhuerta
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...