Anyone here have one of those? Are they good with electronic music (Techno/Trance)? Do they have a good attack, strong sub-bass, and a wide/deep soundstage?
Related Forum Threads
- Possible Deal Alert - Pioneer SE-MJ3 and SE-MJ5 Last post on 8/28/10 at 7:17pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- new Pioneer flagship? SE-MJ591 Last post on 12/21/12 at 7:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Pioneer TRE-D800 & SE-DIR800C Last post on 8/12/13 at 5:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Will the Pioneer Dir800c handle the Audio Technica ATH-AD900? Last post on 8/18/11 at 8:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser Customer Looking to Upgrade Last post on 8/18/11 at 10:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction: The Aune X1S is a product that has piqued my interest since its release. After getting the chance to hear the B1 amp, Aune was a company I kept my eyes out for. This X1S...
The Introduction Well, lovely citizens of head-fi, I am finally ready to bring you the review of the new T50RP mod by ZMF Headphones, known as the ZMF Omni. It is a semi-open headphone that...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Noontec for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. Manufacturer website link:...
Preamble: Hi guys, I'm a budding audio-appreciator since starting on this journey about a year and a half ago. I just have average ears that like to listen to slightly above average music and so...
Intro Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank Pandora at Brainwavz for providing the review sample of the Brainwavz S3 you see in this review. Please note that I am neither affiliated...
Pioneer SE-MJ51 / Pioneer SE-MJ31
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 58/3/10 at 4:10ampost #3 of 510/25/10 at 10:21ampost #4 of 511/23/10 at 8:46am
What up guys this is my fiiiiiiirst post, yay.
I travel the world allot, thus I wear headphones allot.
So here's the story of my search for perfect portable headphones (that are not earbuds, I can't stand them, nor noise-cancelling and thier stupid batteries) and my review of the Pioneers:
I picked up the Pioneer SE-MJ31's at the airport in Guangzhou China. Now I have allot of headphones I guess: Beyer DT770's 32ohm (custom), Beyer DT770 Pro 80ohm, Bose "around ear headphones" (garbage), Sony MDR V600 (basically garbage too), Sony MDR V700dj. My first headphones were some crap that came with a sony cassete walkman in the 80's. After that were Sony MDR V50 or something like that.
I bought the DT770's 32ohms for portable use after my Bose fell apart after a year (the "pleather" ripped out of the earcups and also cracked apart). The Bose were ok, not the best, but turned out to be utter crap in the end. I had my DT770 Pro 80ohms for a long time so I knew they were good but I didn't want to run a portable amp with my Nokia 5310 music phone I use, to use them. Plus for portable use they are just to big around my neck when I'm not listening.
I figured I could live with it and ordered the DT770 32ohm anyway, but found that no, I can't deal with headphones that big and a cord that long.
Then I bought the Sony MDR V700's on a trip to Hong Kong, at one of the Sony stores in a mall there. I found that these were sort of annoying for portable use as well. The plug end was made long so you could hang the headphones on them while DJing. I used to DJ a bit long ago, but I wouldn't ever be needing that now, so it was just a pain as it made it harder to fit in your pocket when connected to your player. As well even they folded, they were a bit annoying around the neck. Also, the earcups were not deep, they would tend to slip off my head if I just so much as looked up at anytime. The coiled cord too...agghhh....annoying.The sound is ok, I like Electronic: hip hop (Kool Keith mainly), techno, hard house, acid house, and a bunch of other stuff, whatever it is, I don't care. I'll listen to whatever, all kinds of wierd stuff, I don't care what people think, but it's mainly electronic. For all of this stuff, they sounded decent on my phone.
So I just couldn't deal with the Sony V700's either for portable use. I found myself wearing them out less and less.
I actually went back to my OLD Sony MDR V600's. I hadn't used them in years, and wow they sounded like crap. But they were light, the plug was ok; it fit in my pocket better than the MDR V700's, and they still *flipped out of the way around my neck. But the sound was crap. No mid, all high and low, I just couldn't deal with them. Plus the ear pads were coming apart... and they were big around my neck as well... really long coiled cord too... I was about to give up.
So I'm walking through the airport with these annoying MDR V600's around my neck and the million foot long cord bunched into my pocket when I spot a little electronics shop with some headphones on the wall. I have time before my flight so I go in and spot the Pioneer SE-MJ31's.
I check the specs... wow 32ohms... 8-30 000hz (I think it said that)... I listen to them on my phone... the sound is like mini DT770's!! what!!?? They are "on ear" but they nearly cover my ears actually... pretty comfortable... very small, AND they fold, they are "dj style"...they are feather light... really short cord... small jack... I am SO getting these!.
I got them for 600RMB (about $90usd). Worth every penny. I wear them everywhere. Perfect portable headphones. Fit around my neck nice, I don't even know they are there. Nice and light on my head and never slip off. Everything is perfect about them. The sound is amazing considering the size. Heavy bass and treble, good mid... sound is so nice.
I recommend these to anyone that wants a headphone you can wear all day, while walking around, and have great sound. If I would have found these to start with damn, I would have saved some money. I guess they did just come out with them though.
So that's that. Not a real technical review but an honest one. And NO, I don't work for Pioneer.
Edited by DevienT - 11/23/10 at 11:17ampost #5 of 510/30/11 at 12:06pmQuote:I got them for 600RMB (about $90usd). Worth every penny. I wear them everywhere. Perfect portable headphones. Fit around my neck nice, I don't even know they are there. Nice and light on my head and never slip off. Everything is perfect about them. The sound is amazing considering the size. Heavy bass and treble, good mid... sound is so nice.
I'm sorry to tell you this but you kind of got ripped off. I got the same headphone in Japan for around 3000 Yen which is around $30-35 in the US. Still great headphones though.
- Pioneer SE-MJ51 / Pioneer SE-MJ31
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Which one of these do you recommend ? 48 seconds ago
- › The all new Continental Dual Mono 4 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and... 4 minutes ago
- › Which one of these do you recommend ? 6 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 6 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution? 8 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 8 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 9 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - The Shard Event 9 minutes ago
- › Aune X1S 32Bit/384KHz DSD DAC Headphone Amplifier by Cotnijoe
- › ZMF Headphones Omni by PacoTaco
- › Noontec Wireless Headphones ZORO II Wireless Hi-Fi Bluetooth On-Ear... by twister6
- › RHA T20 by RedTwilight
- › Brainwavz S3 by thatBeatsguy
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by suman134
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by nmatheis
- › Philips SHE3905BK/27 In-Ear Headphones with Mic, Black by Whitigir
- › Music Hall de-be Portable Headphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by mark2410
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2