I was really looking at the akg k701/702, and the sennheiser hd600, hd650, until i joined head-fi...Some members helped me out and told me that I should avoid these unless I was going to invest in an amp. So, how much is a good amp?
Related Forum Threads
- Old headphones with new stereo receiver. ***UPDATED*** Last post on 7/22/11 at 11:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- WTS: HD650 w/ SilverDragon V3, Beyer DT990, AKG K701 - NEW PRICES 11/1311 Last post on 11/20/11 at 6:34pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- New but have Questions. Last post on 8/24/11 at 8:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Newbie has a few questions about low-budget system Last post on 5/23/11 at 9:47am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- $100-150 or less amplification for K701/K702? Cheap tube amp if I have my own tubes? Perhaps even... Last post on 4/28/11 at 3:16am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Edited on 11/14/12
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
Related Head Gear
Bought it some time ago, based on user reviews. Straight out of the box it seemed huge, especially compared to my old Cowon D2. Also, sound was awful. Granted, I don't have large hi-fi cans, only...
Along with the summary below, I have posted a Youtube video review of the ATH-CKN70. If you like the video, check out my channel for more reviews :) Summary BUILD The...
Introduction I’m a basshead. I say that loudly and proudly, even though some folks believe basshead and audiophile are mutually exclusive. Obviously, I’m not in that camp. But sometimes, I...
I read reviews on this and I said let me try this out, for $10 I couldn't lose. This surpassed all of expectations for a $10 IEM. I am going to purchase a set for my wife, she was also blown...
Fanmusic is a distributor and a brand of Chinese audio-equipment which also has an eBay store. I was contacted by Tony, their manager a while ago and he informed me that they were working...
- Headphone Impedance
Gear mentioned in this thread:
There are lots of threads that will address your wants. You need to do some careful and focused research.
Amps can run from a few hundred to several thousand depending on your needs.
You would have to start with giving a price range that is comfortable to you. Also letting us know what the rest of your setup is might help in determining the right amp for you regarding trying to match synergy with your other components. Also knowing the rest of your setup might help us determine wither an improvement can be made by getting possibly a dac/amp rather than just an stand alone amp. The more info you can give the better of a solution can be formed.
I think around the $300 range would get you a nice amp. It seems like the darkvoice 336 seems to be a popular inexpensive amp for around that price.
A used K701, used amp, and a used DAC can get you somewhere around $600-$700. Add $50 more for a used sennheiser. An alternative to K701 would be the beyerdynamic dt880 (250ohms) for its price.
Solid state or tube?
Wow, thanks for the detailed reply, Im a college student so I dont have a ton of money so should I just consider a high quality, low impedance headphone so I wont have to worry about the amp? I was going through the forums and i saw these beyerdynamic dt48 and i heard all of these good things about them, and I think they look great and comfortable, but i can only find one site that sells a 32 ohm model. I guess theres newer models like dt48e but the site doesnt say what model it is. wheres a good place i can find these with a full description?
Depends on how much you want to spend total. If you only have $400 go ampless with a good efficient headphone, but at around $600 onwards you should be able to get a good DAC/amp combo and maybe a HD600 or K701. Don't know about the DT48, personally I'd start with something that everyone else has so you get a good frame of reference.
I've gotten surprisingly good sound having the 70x plugged into my Millet Starving Student Hybrid Tube amp. They can be had for under $150 built. If you can DIY, the parts are also inexpensive. Pair it with the uDac ($75) and you're under $250.
Sadly mine is collecting dust but I'll drag the poor girl out to the NJ meet.
- New member
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE 22 seconds ago
- › Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread. 52 seconds ago
- › Ultrasone Edition 12 announced in Japan 52 seconds ago
- › DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions 56 seconds ago
- › [The Not So] Upcoming Sennheiser Stat & Amp 1 minute ago
- › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion... 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 1 minute ago
- › Brief Odac impressions 1 minute ago
- › Toxic Cables - The Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Colorfly Pocket Hi-fi C4 by yxmees
- › audio-technica Premium Compact Inner Ear Headphones ATH-CKN70 Black... by a_recording
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by TheGame21x
- › Monoprice 8320 IEM by Taharqa
- › Fanmusic MS-E1011 by ItsMeHere
- › Audio-gd NFB-5 by citadel
- › HE-5LE by JamesHuntington
- › Kozee Sound Solutions Infinity X2 by Insight Reviews
- › JVC HA M750 by tinamou62
- › Aurisonics ASG-2 by eke2k6
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe