Well, recently I had a falling out over mp3 players. I've really been upset at the poor performance of certain brands. I've had quite a few PMPs over the years and decided to write a letter to sandisk. I hope someone over at SanDisk Sansa reads this. I won't copy the entire letter, but i will just sum up what I had to say. I asked myself how a committee of CEOs and engineers who work for brands, not sansa, can sit at their big table and say some of the following lines
"Lets make our mp3 player have no playlist support at all!....BRILLIANT!"
"lets make sure our pmp cant skip tracks randomly!...AWESOME!"
"hey guys, who needs flac, .mov .mp4 and .flv support? NOBODY!! YEAH!!!"
"do we really need to tell people our device was made in 2010 but requires only XP to load the firmware and if you try it on vista, you brick it!...WOOO GREAT IDEA!"
( this is what MANY media device makers actually did.)
Basically what I said was that over the past 3 years, my Sansa Fuze has outperformed 100% of the competition in portable media players. It outlasted all of the above and remained my player of choice over everything. It is 99% awesome. The other 1% I had a few gripes about. I explained to them how right they got it. The fuze is my pick for the best mp3 player ever made. Its small, its output is immensely powerful, its so easy to use and causes no problems what so ever, full playlist support, drag and drop, and overall its just the most satisfying experience compared to other name brands. My fuze died recently, I purchased the 8gb version the day it was released and it only now started to fail completely, the battery died out. It survived brutality over years and lasted to summer 2010 from its release date years ago, heavy daily usage.
My gripes were small and easily fixable in a new version. I ask that sansa does not change ANYTHING, but adds the few things i would like.
The first being that I really wanted a more detailed EQ much like cowons. All those crazy presets dont need to be there, just give me a wider range of EQ possibilities. Also, let me save a custom EQ setting to each song. So that if i have a classical song right next to a rock song in my playlist, I don't have to use the preset or reEQ it just for that song and it will remember the setting designated for each song if i so choose it.
I really want the sansa fuze touch screen model. HOWEVER! I do not want it larger than 2 inches. I want it just big enough for me to hold in one hand, and use my thumb to scroll through songs and click on the large icons. If you were to make it bigger, do not make it that much bigger than what the Fuze right now is in terms of size, just make the entire face of it a touch screen. MachSpeed has a touch screen model of that size, so it certainly is possible and would be the first great small touch model ever.
Basically what this all is about is that I am sick of buying and having to resell other brands, you name it, I had it, and found something very wrong with it. I loved the cowon s9, but the lack of playlist support upset me to no end, I should not have to void my warranty to mod it just to get some things working right, Drag and drop should be standard and Apple is too far up their butts to see that even like a decade later. They've not listened to one customer in their entire existence.
It is much like the new call of duty modern warfare 2 game. It has such an immense customer base, 25 million players online at any time, 100+ worldwide and they don't listen or support us in the slightest. You'd think if your product were that popular, you would listen and try to make people happy. But they don't. So i praise Sansa for thinking things out before hand and including almost all things needed, but you do need to start listening to your customers, your support forums are dreadful and full of a few thousand people griping about the same things as me.
You could do wonders if you would just listen. Apple and all the other major brands won't ever listen, so i've at least some hope someone will read up on sansa reviews and see you did a great job and the things you need to make your PMPs the best available are small and easy and quickly done. Hell sansa, with a new firmware update for the fuze you can blow away everyone.
add some media type support
-flv, mov, mp4, Dont turn into apple please
-lets get a nicer eq going on
-get rid of the need for the converter to add videos
give us that at least so we can all review your pmps as the undisputed best all around player ever ;)
ALSO! if you ever decide to make a touch version that is around the size of the fuze, why not send me the first model? :D
Edited by swbf2cheater - 7/10/10 at 4:11pm