Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Toucan and Boomslang (IBasso Audio) Balanced Review Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Toucan and Boomslang (IBasso Audio) Balanced Review Thread - Page 15

post #211 of 330

Yea, I got the pin layout straighten out now I didn't know the diagram on the iBasso site was of the backside of the connector I thought it was the front.

Plus, once you guys let me know there was a number layout on the inside of the connector everything just clicked.

Thank you BebopMcJiggy, Jamato and HiFlight

post #212 of 330

Toucan PB1 impressions:

 

I'm very dissatisfied with my PB1, I burned the unit for 200 hrs (Isotek) and evaluated using the line out from an ALO/Sony D25s using Shure SRH840 and Sennheiser HD595 in a SE configuration. The gain switch at factory setting (max) the overall SQ is very metallic and has an exaggerated treble, narrow sound stage and poor instrument separation.

 

Using the same cables, sources and music I compared it to my other portable the Neco Soundlabs V.2 and the difference in SQ is remarkable. With the NecoV.2 the sound quality is neutral, bass is very deep and the sound stage wide open with pinpoint instrument separation.

 

Perhaps the PB1 was designed primarily for balanced operation.

 

I now own a $229 Chinese paper weight, it is unfortunate that most of us are unable to audition the majority of the components on Headfi.org and have to rely on evaluations and impressions from others.

post #213 of 330


iBasso's return policy:

 

Return Policy
Our products have a 1-year warranty and a 14-day, no-questions asked return policy of the full product price when purchased through our website. Please note that shipping costs are non-refundable. If you are in need of a product return, please e-mail us for the product return form.

 

Perhaps you can return it for a refund? Unless you are beyond the 14-day limit.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimiami View Post

Toucan PB1 impressions:

 

I'm very dissatisfied with my PB1, I burned the unit for 200 hrs (Isotek) and evaluated using the line out from an ALO/Sony D25s using Shure SRH840 and Sennheiser HD595 in a SE configuration. The gain switch at factory setting (max) the overall SQ is very metallic and has an exaggerated treble, narrow sound stage and poor instrument separation.

 

Using the same cables, sources and music I compared it to my other portable the Neco Soundlabs V.2 and the difference in SQ is remarkable. With the NecoV.2 the sound quality is neutral, bass is very deep and the sound stage wide open with pinpoint instrument separation.

 

Perhaps the PB1 was designed primarily for balanced operation.

 

I now own a $229 Chinese paper weight, it is unfortunate that most of us are unable to audition the majority of the components on Headfi.org and have to rely on evaluations and impressions from others.

post #214 of 330
Thread Starter 

I would suggest returning it...however, I found it to be very fine sounding in SE mode...however in balanced mode the sound is just simply profound.  Balanced is where its at...never thought the music could sound so good, not to say it doesnt sound good single-ended because IMHO it does...it is all very subjective
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimiami View Post

Toucan PB1 impressions:

 

I'm very dissatisfied with my PB1, I burned the unit for 200 hrs (Isotek) and evaluated using the line out from an ALO/Sony D25s using Shure SRH840 and Sennheiser HD595 in a SE configuration. The gain switch at factory setting (max) the overall SQ is very metallic and has an exaggerated treble, narrow sound stage and poor instrument separation.

 

Using the same cables, sources and music I compared it to my other portable the Neco Soundlabs V.2 and the difference in SQ is remarkable. With the NecoV.2 the sound quality is neutral, bass is very deep and the sound stage wide open with pinpoint instrument separation.

 

Perhaps the PB1 was designed primarily for balanced operation.

 

I now own a $229 Chinese paper weight, it is unfortunate that most of us are unable to audition the majority of the components on Headfi.org and have to rely on evaluations and impressions from others.

post #215 of 330

I recently obtained the Yuin Pk1s, which are high impedance earbuds. They are 150 Ohms, and a headphone amp is highly recommended by the manufacturer and everybody who has heard them. I have a Nationite S:Flo2 and a Sansa Fuze, and the S:Flo2 drives the PK1s pretty well, but there is definitely a lot more potential in them. My question is, how well would this amp drive them compared to amps such as the ALO RX, Headstage Arrow, or some RSA amp? Also, because it is balanced, how would I recable the Pk1s or where could I get someone to recable them for me? Thanks in advance!

post #216 of 330

Toucan Impressions Follow up

 

I discovered that with low impedance headphones lowering the gain to 0, SE corrected the brightness and metallic sound experienced previously. The gain control acts as an equalizer using the SE connection with low impedance cans.

post #217 of 330
I thought that high gain was a bit much for the headphones you had listed but I figured there was just something about the sound signature that rubbed you the wrong way. So what do you think of it now without the reported bright metallic sound?
post #218 of 330

Much better overall SQ, but still prefer the Neco Soundlabs V.2 which to me provides  accurate performance in tonal balance and sound stage. The V.2 is like a V8 vs a 4 cylinder for the Ibasso PB1.

post #219 of 330

Fair enough, no comment on the tonal balance, but I feel the sound stage improves when using the balanced output.  Regardless my friend is getting the portable Neco unit apparently so I suppose I can compare them myself before too much longer.

post #220 of 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeGoodman View Post

I recently obtained the Yuin Pk1s, which are high impedance earbuds. They are 150 Ohms, and a headphone amp is highly recommended by the manufacturer and everybody who has heard them. I have a Nationite S:Flo2 and a Sansa Fuze, and the S:Flo2 drives the PK1s pretty well, but there is definitely a lot more potential in them. My question is, how well would this amp drive them compared to amps such as the ALO RX, Headstage Arrow, or some RSA amp? Also, because it is balanced, how would I recable the Pk1s or where could I get someone to recable them for me? Thanks in advance!


Currently I have the OK1 and in single ended mode the Toucan drives it marevelously. I do not know if the PK1 has 4 individual wires at the 1/8" mini plug, I think so because Ron (HiFlight) has re-terminated an OK2 if memory serves me right. You may wish to send HiFlight a PM to confirm this issue. If it has the 4 individual wires you will need a hirose adapter which you can get from iBasso or from Digi-Key. I am including a pic below, btw the funny looking u-shape item is an optical cable to connect the iRiver H120/H140 to the Boomslang.

 

DSCN1055.JPG

post #221 of 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeGoodman View Post

I recently obtained the Yuin Pk1s, which are high impedance earbuds. They are 150 Ohms, and a headphone amp is highly recommended by the manufacturer and everybody who has heard them. I have a Nationite S:Flo2 and a Sansa Fuze, and the S:Flo2 drives the PK1s pretty well, but there is definitely a lot more potential in them. My question is, how well would this amp drive them compared to amps such as the ALO RX, Headstage Arrow, or some RSA amp? Also, because it is balanced, how would I recable the Pk1s or where could I get someone to recable them for me? Thanks in advance!


Craig Sanborn at Whiplash audio may be able to help you.  I recall he mentioned a few weeks back that he had recabled a PK1 and was evaluating it in his lab.  I don't know any more, because I had no interest in them, nor have I auditioned them before.  I have a number of of RSA amps and owned an ALO RX, but not the Arrow.  Until the SR71B is released by Ray, the power output of the PB1 is pretty much unmatched in balanced mode, and outperforms most in single-ended mode.  But headroom alone is not the issue, nor is it impedance of the cans/IEMs.  What you need to look at is sensitivity when you do systems matching in a portable form factor, especially.

post #222 of 330

Stock PK1 is 4-wired.

post #223 of 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrarroyo View Post




Currently I have the OK1 and in single ended mode the Toucan drives it marevelously. I do not know if the PK1 has 4 individual wires at the 1/8" mini plug, I think so because Ron (HiFlight) has re-terminated an OK2 if memory serves me right. You may wish to send HiFlight a PM to confirm this issue. If it has the 4 individual wires you will need a hirose adapter which you can get from iBasso or from Digi-Key. I am including a pic below, btw the funny looking u-shape item is an optical cable to connect the iRiver H120/H140 to the Boomslang.

 

DSCN1055.JPG





Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeGoodman View Post

I recently obtained the Yuin Pk1s, which are high impedance earbuds. They are 150 Ohms, and a headphone amp is highly recommended by the manufacturer and everybody who has heard them. I have a Nationite S:Flo2 and a Sansa Fuze, and the S:Flo2 drives the PK1s pretty well, but there is definitely a lot more potential in them. My question is, how well would this amp drive them compared to amps such as the ALO RX, Headstage Arrow, or some RSA amp? Also, because it is balanced, how would I recable the Pk1s or where could I get someone to recable them for me? Thanks in advance!

My balanced OK2 sounds excellent with the PB1/DB1 combo, and yes, the PK1 has 4 leads so is very easy to reterminate for balanced operation.  That said, my PK1 (which has not been reterminated) sounds superb when driven from the SE output of the Toucan.   Good enough that I probably won't bother reterminating them at this time.   I need the volume set at about 10:00 position for my listening preference with the Toucan gain set at the +6 (Low gain)
 

post #224 of 330

Thanks for the info, everybody. I am getting an Iriver H120, and while I will probably not buy the Boomslang anytime soon, it becomes an option. I am however interested in the Toucan, as it is not a crazy amount of money (the Boomslang would have to go on top of that purchase). If I get the Toucan, I will definitely run the PK1s SE. No use rushing things, and I will probably be blown away by them SE. Than later I could upgrade to balanced. However, I use them straight out of the computer, so I would need an adapter too. Also, one the cans I would like to get in the future is the Ultrasone Pro 900, which will probably work very well with this amp, although you can correct me if I am mistaken. If I did decide to get the Boomslang, where would I get that optical out in the picture? Thanks for the help, everybody.

post #225 of 330

If you are using your PK1's directly from your computer now, you would need an external DAC to use the USB output instead of the headphone jack (thereby bypassing your computer soundcard).  Most headphone jacks output quite poor quality sound, and it would not be the best choice to use as an input to the Toucan.   If you do not have plans to balance your phones, perhaps the D10 or soon to be released D12 would be a better choice, at least for now.  The optical shown connects the iRiver to the Boomslang.  The iRiver H120 uses the line-out jack for optical, although it must first be enabled via menu selection. 

 

iRiver > Boomslang > Toucan > PK1 (SE) sounds superb!

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeGoodman View Post

Thanks for the info, everybody. I am getting an Iriver H120, and while I will probably not buy the Boomslang anytime soon, it becomes an option. I am however interested in the Toucan, as it is not a crazy amount of money (the Boomslang would have to go on top of that purchase). If I get the Toucan, I will definitely run the PK1s SE. No use rushing things, and I will probably be blown away by them SE. Than later I could upgrade to balanced. However, I use them straight out of the computer, so I would need an adapter too. Also, one the cans I would like to get in the future is the Ultrasone Pro 900, which will probably work very well with this amp, although you can correct me if I am mistaken. If I did decide to get the Boomslang, where would I get that optical out in the picture? Thanks for the help, everybody.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Toucan and Boomslang (IBasso Audio) Balanced Review Thread