Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Toucan and Boomslang (IBasso Audio) Balanced Review Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Toucan and Boomslang (IBasso Audio) Balanced Review Thread - Page 9

post #121 of 330

you gotta count for shipping + if youre gonna go balanced you have to reterminate or recable your headphone + if youre going to get the boomslang + the interconnect = much more than $229. :) im just saying its worth its price to me, but you will be going over your 200$ initial budget.

 

but yea i had no idea ibasso was putting out quality products like this.

post #122 of 330


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by debitsohn View Post

you gotta count for shipping + if youre gonna go balanced you have to reterminate or recable your headphone + if youre going to get the boomslang + the interconnect = much more than $229. :) im just saying its worth its price to me, but you will be going over your 200$ initial budget.

 

but yea i had no idea ibasso was putting out quality products like this.

 

Yes, the phones will have to be re-terminated for balanced operation, but keep in mind that the Toucan can still output a balanced signal even with a SE input.   Using a balanced input will, of course, further improve the end results, but still the resulting BTL output gives the same 25.2 voltage swing as does the balanced input and many of the sonic benefits of the fully-balanced system. 

 

One can consider the DB1/PB1 as a modular system, starting with the basic Toucan driving SE headphones, later adding the headphone re-terminations and adapter cable, then,  if so desired, move to a fully balanced system as time and money permit. 

 

Although the thread posts here mostly revolve around the balanced capabilities of the Toucan and Boomslang, keep in mind that the Toucan still sounds very good thru the SE output.  

 

 

Ron


Edited by HiFlight - 8/29/10 at 12:16pm
post #123 of 330

I just heard the LCD2 (not mine) through the Toucan, and it sounds superb, The Toucan is really powerful.

 

Is there a discount if you buy a pair (db1 and pb1)?

post #124 of 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwax View Post

I just heard the LCD2 (not mine) through the Toucan, and it sounds superb, The Toucan is really powerful.

 

Is there a discount if you buy a pair (db1 and pb1)?


nice.  no i doubt theres a discount, but it never hurts to ask!

post #125 of 330

I used to reconnect and make cables a long time ago (30 years), but I am thinking I can save money by doing my own recabling.  Then get the DAC later. 

 

I have heard some good thinks about iBasso at work.  How much difference is there between the Toucan and the T3?  The T3 is about 1/2 the price.  I am looking for an amp now,  I have a DAC I think I can fix.

 

Thanks for the help,


Edited by beachgeek - 8/29/10 at 12:33pm
post #126 of 330


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgeek View Post

I used to reconnect and make cables a long time ago (30 years), but I am thinking I can save money by doing my own recabling.  Then get the DAC later. 

 

I have heard some good thinks about iBasso at work.  How much difference is there between the Toucan and the T3?  The T3 is about 1/2 the price.  I am looking for an amp now,  I have a DAC I think I can fix.

 

Thanks for the help,


The T3 is a highly-regarded, very small amplifier that was designed to be ultra-portable and interface well with IEMs.   It is about the size of an aspirin tin, but does perform its intended use very well.  It provides a wide and tonally accurate soundstage.  The Toucan, OTOH,  is considerably more powerful and about the size of a package of regular-sized cigarettes.

 

The Toucan also has provisions for both SE and Balanced input as well as SE and Balanced output.   I really don't think it is a fair to either amplifier to try to equate one to the other.   If you are looking for ultimate portability and long battery life, the T3 is a good choice, however if you have any intentions at all of expanding your system, the Toucan would be the logical choice. 

post #127 of 330

Sounds like I should save up for the Toucan. Thanks

post #128 of 330

Ron, I will send you a PM tomorrow. Perhaps we can get together next weekend! (it is a 3-day one for those of us still having to punch in).

post #129 of 330

Are there a portable sources which output analog balance or does one have to buy the Boomslang and hook it up to a portable source via optical out to get the full benefits?  

post #130 of 330

Simillar question- it possible to mod iPod 5.5 gen for balanced output?

post #131 of 330

Or diyMod?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostalex View Post

Simillar question- it possible to mod iPod 5.5 gen for balanced output?

post #132 of 330
Thread Starter 
Just got them in the mail!!!
Have to wait till the kids get to bed to unpack and snap pics
post #133 of 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by flargosa View Post

Are there a portable sources which output analog balance or does one have to buy the Boomslang and hook it up to a portable source via optical out to get the full benefits?  


You could make a cable to go from balance (whatever you have) to the iBasso Hirose. Then you could feed the balance analog signal to the Toucan amp. However I can see this working only at home since I am not aware of any DAP that outputs in balance format.

post #134 of 330

Probably the best choice for a really quality portable system is to feed the DB1/PB1 with the optical output of an iRiver H120 or 140.   I consider Rockbox about a necessity on my iRivers. 

post #135 of 330
Thread Starter 

photo.JPG

 

HERE THEY ARE, THE FRATERNAL TWINS!!!!!

WHAT A FANTASTICALLY POWERFUL DUO...BATMAN AND ROBIN!!!!!!

 

Ill post my review and impressions after I have had time to do some extensive listening and A/Bing with my LISAIII and D4 setups!!!

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS THANK YOU IBASSO for top notch quality, for extremely reasonable prices, if this were made/sold by anyone in the US, you are looking at 1K easy, that is how good this set is without burn in!!!!

 

Pauly

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Toucan and Boomslang (IBasso Audio) Balanced Review Thread