They seem to be perfect, nice fun headphones, small enough to be portable. Great isolation and sound. The only problem is the cost - I can afford them, but it's still a lot of money to spend on an impulse buy. Am I insane or should I just get it over with and buy them?
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/26/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/26/10
- brandUltrasonetagged by System, 8/26/10
- productUltrasone Edition 8tagged by System, 8/26/10
- productUltrasone Edition8 Palladium Special Edition Headphonestagged by System, 8/26/10
Related Forum Threads
- Proof that the average consumer can't tell the difference Last post on 12/9/10 at 7:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Cant decide on the Grados Ps1000 or the Ultrasone Edtion 8s Last post on 9/12/10 at 4:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- For you who have Ultrasone Edition 8 Last post on 9/4/10 at 8:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- Current Edition 8 owners - could you tell me a couple of things? Last post on 6/28/10 at 12:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Edition 8 "Limited Edition" Last post on 7/22/15 at 11:17am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This is an excellent pair of headphones, sound is very clear, and the looks are impressive. I am disappointed with the padding, hurts to wear in less then 15 minutes. Pads can be replaced though....
I've had mine for almost 5 years, still breathing and still sounds great! I've had mine short circuit for two times because and fixed it, still sounds the same. So far this is the best for me and I...
When these went on sale at massdrop I thought I was going to put one over on the man and get some really good audiophile grade headphones for $100, sadly that's not what I got when the package...
This little DAC punches way way way above its weight. I fell deep into the audiophile hole about a month ago, waiting for our 2nd son to be born. If I could be so bold, I went through a...
I love the Beyerdynamic dt770 250 Ohms. After searching high and low for a closed back headphone I fell upon these knowing that I would carry an amp. With the Cayin C5 - High gain at about 2.5...
Ultrasone Edition 8 Lustpost #1 of 577/6/10 at 9:37pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 577/6/10 at 11:19pmpost #3 of 577/6/10 at 11:29pmpost #4 of 577/7/10 at 12:23am
Museman, by coincidence I just finished listening to "The Resistence" with my ED8 when I saw this thread. Edition 8 is a fantastic headphone that performs well accross all genres. If I could improve it, I would dial in a little more sound stage, however it is pretty much the full deal. It is insanely expensive for a headphone, and with all expensive headphones, diminishing returns means that you pay a lot for "better" sound quality. ED8 like all headphones has its own unique sound signature, so its always better if you can try before you buy. Coming from Oz, you probably can't do that, unless you live in Perth and can visit Headphonic. They are $2500 AUD ($2120 USD) which is of course prohibitive, however if you check HeadFi for sales, you should pick one up for between $1100-$1300 USD landed (including probably about $70 USD postage). If that causes you to get cold feet, then take a detour in your Headphone journey and purchase a Pro900 for less than half the cost of an ED8. Different fon to the Edition (no where near as sexy looking) but a great headphone none the less.
Oh, and we are all insane.
Edited by Kernmac - 7/7/10 at 12:26ampost #5 of 577/7/10 at 1:18amThread Starter
Thanks guys, Headphonic sells them at a ridiculously high price. I can get them for around $1750 in Australia from https://www.electronicbazaar.com.au/add-to-cart.php?categoryid=41&subcategoryid=322&pid=2912&pstatus=null If I import from overseas there's tax and warranty issues.
I'm not to worried about soundstage, I'm more after impact and fun, as well as great isolation in a non-IEM. I might just jump on it. I'll eventually get a Pico or a CEntrance DACPort to go with a netbook I'll buy soon. Sounds like a decent transportable set-up?
Thanks again.post #6 of 577/9/10 at 9:46am
I would say go for it. I have half heartedly the ED 8 up for sale. Listening to much on my Ipod touch made it seem the reasonable thing to do. I enjoyed that combo in the beginning but the lack of sub bass or body annoyed me to much on a 1500$ headphone.
As I got my Auditor I am really rediscovering it all over again. It has never sounded bad but I have a lot of toys demanding time ;). DAC19/Auditor is an amazing combination for this headphone. Much better then the T1 for music playback... T1 impresses technically but completely lack soul and don´t let me fee or get into l the music at all. Hoping the Trafomatic head one will spice it up a bit. Soundstage is not the largest as mentioned but it images like a champ Quite a bit better then the T1 in that department. It will let you feel the music on the right system surely.post #7 of 577/9/10 at 10:16am
I would say if you have the money, and it won't take food off the table or not get any of your bills paid, then go for it. I felt the same way when I hit the submit button on mine last year. I have not looked back since. They are easily the most fun, involving headphone I have ever had on my head.
I have put A LOT of miles on mine since I got them. They did get better with time. The pads get really, really soft. They don't give out, but they soften up quite a bit. Also, when they are brand new, the bass booms almost too much really. I listened to them so much that I am not sure at what point that went away. But I would guess somewhere between 50 and 100 hours the bass dials in. Still sounds like a subwoofer in each ear....but one that is more balanced with the rest of your sound.
I would also say that if you decide to buy them....listen to them on some sort of quality gear. Even if it's hooked to an ipod, get an amp to bring it to it's peak performance. And listen to it alot.post #8 of 577/10/10 at 2:21ampost #9 of 577/10/10 at 2:23am
It's a great headphone. I think the more headphones you have listened to, the more you will enjoy the Ed. 8 as you will realize how many little things other headphones get wrong (in my opinion) that these do right. The soundstage is a little on the small side, but other than that they have a very cohesive refined sound that works great with all genres of music. The Dacport does a nice a job with the headphone, the only thing I don't like about it is using such a small knob to adjust the volume.post #10 of 577/10/10 at 5:54ampost #11 of 577/10/10 at 9:03ampost #12 of 577/10/10 at 2:06pmpost #13 of 577/10/10 at 2:33pm
haha... i tried them. I didn't think they were worth the price, but shoot... I'm still a college student for just a bit longer. Did they have over a thousand dollars worth of sound quality? Honestly, they sound good but I was expecting to be really wowed. I was expecting a really huge sound stage, but it is quite upfront compared to the PROs. It was also sibilant to my sibilant music. Go figure. That was probably a stupid statement.
Also, it was also too polite sounding for me.
If you have a good source, by all means. I don't think I would ever buy the ED8s though. The ED9s on the other hand... I am tempted...post #14 of 577/10/10 at 3:52pm
Ya, the Edition 8 does NOT have a huge soundstage. But I don't think they are billed that way either. The big boast is the S Logic. I will have to admit that the S Logic is rather deceptive. You do get a sense of surround, but it's not really extremely noticable. I think that's something I like about the S Logic. Voices sound like they are right between your eyes. It's pretty sweet. But The Edition 8 or any Ultrasone for that matter has to be purchased as a matter of taste.
- Ultrasone Edition 8 Lust
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › New IEM Lineup from Earsonics. "ES2" & "ES3" 1 minute ago
- › ORIVETI PRIMACY Triple-Driver Hybrid IEMs 2 minutes ago
- › Lots of Audio Technica headphones for sale and a few others (Prices... 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 3 minutes ago
- › Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp 3 minutes ago
- › MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd... 3 minutes ago
- › Atlas Trinity IEM's 4 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 5 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 6 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 7 minutes ago
- › HE-5LE by audiophilehe400
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Final F7200 by Takeanidea
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...