They seem to be perfect, nice fun headphones, small enough to be portable. Great isolation and sound. The only problem is the cost - I can afford them, but it's still a lot of money to spend on an impulse buy. Am I insane or should I just get it over with and buy them?
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/26/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/26/10
- brandUltrasonetagged by System, 8/26/10
- productUltrasone Edition 8tagged by System, 8/26/10
- productUltrasone Edition8 Palladium Special Edition Headphonestagged by System, 8/26/10
Related Forum Threads
- Proof that the average consumer can't tell the difference Last post on 12/9/10 at 7:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Cant decide on the Grados Ps1000 or the Ultrasone Edtion 8s Last post on 9/12/10 at 4:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- For you who have Ultrasone Edition 8 Last post on 9/4/10 at 8:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- Current Edition 8 owners - could you tell me a couple of things? Last post on 6/28/10 at 12:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Edition 8 "Limited Edition" Last post on 7/22/15 at 11:17am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
When I was a child in the '80s, one of my neighbour's kids, a gloriously goofy-looking guy of the era, was always out on his driveway fixing his motorbikes, then later, his car, a vintage Ford V8....
"In a cold world of flagships, the LCD-4 gives me the warmth I have been asking for." -Probably someone...
This review is for someone looking for a good pair of in-ear headphones after using over-ear phones; that's the situation where I am coming from at least, as I have been using Sennheiser's HD598...
I was excited to be approached by world famous cable artisan company 'Effect Audio' and asked me to provide a review of their recently released Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable. This cable is...
This is my second attempt at using a portable amp (I returned my Fiio E12A for this). That was a good decision. The Cayin C5 is an absolute powerhouse. It can power IEM's and earbuds...
Ultrasone Edition 8 Lustpost #1 of 577/6/10 at 9:37pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 577/6/10 at 11:19pmpost #3 of 577/6/10 at 11:29pmpost #4 of 577/7/10 at 12:23am
Museman, by coincidence I just finished listening to "The Resistence" with my ED8 when I saw this thread. Edition 8 is a fantastic headphone that performs well accross all genres. If I could improve it, I would dial in a little more sound stage, however it is pretty much the full deal. It is insanely expensive for a headphone, and with all expensive headphones, diminishing returns means that you pay a lot for "better" sound quality. ED8 like all headphones has its own unique sound signature, so its always better if you can try before you buy. Coming from Oz, you probably can't do that, unless you live in Perth and can visit Headphonic. They are $2500 AUD ($2120 USD) which is of course prohibitive, however if you check HeadFi for sales, you should pick one up for between $1100-$1300 USD landed (including probably about $70 USD postage). If that causes you to get cold feet, then take a detour in your Headphone journey and purchase a Pro900 for less than half the cost of an ED8. Different fon to the Edition (no where near as sexy looking) but a great headphone none the less.
Oh, and we are all insane.
Edited by Kernmac - 7/7/10 at 12:26ampost #5 of 577/7/10 at 1:18amThread Starter
Thanks guys, Headphonic sells them at a ridiculously high price. I can get them for around $1750 in Australia from https://www.electronicbazaar.com.au/add-to-cart.php?categoryid=41&subcategoryid=322&pid=2912&pstatus=null If I import from overseas there's tax and warranty issues.
I'm not to worried about soundstage, I'm more after impact and fun, as well as great isolation in a non-IEM. I might just jump on it. I'll eventually get a Pico or a CEntrance DACPort to go with a netbook I'll buy soon. Sounds like a decent transportable set-up?
Thanks again.post #6 of 577/9/10 at 9:46am
I would say go for it. I have half heartedly the ED 8 up for sale. Listening to much on my Ipod touch made it seem the reasonable thing to do. I enjoyed that combo in the beginning but the lack of sub bass or body annoyed me to much on a 1500$ headphone.
As I got my Auditor I am really rediscovering it all over again. It has never sounded bad but I have a lot of toys demanding time ;). DAC19/Auditor is an amazing combination for this headphone. Much better then the T1 for music playback... T1 impresses technically but completely lack soul and don´t let me fee or get into l the music at all. Hoping the Trafomatic head one will spice it up a bit. Soundstage is not the largest as mentioned but it images like a champ Quite a bit better then the T1 in that department. It will let you feel the music on the right system surely.post #7 of 577/9/10 at 10:16am
I would say if you have the money, and it won't take food off the table or not get any of your bills paid, then go for it. I felt the same way when I hit the submit button on mine last year. I have not looked back since. They are easily the most fun, involving headphone I have ever had on my head.
I have put A LOT of miles on mine since I got them. They did get better with time. The pads get really, really soft. They don't give out, but they soften up quite a bit. Also, when they are brand new, the bass booms almost too much really. I listened to them so much that I am not sure at what point that went away. But I would guess somewhere between 50 and 100 hours the bass dials in. Still sounds like a subwoofer in each ear....but one that is more balanced with the rest of your sound.
I would also say that if you decide to buy them....listen to them on some sort of quality gear. Even if it's hooked to an ipod, get an amp to bring it to it's peak performance. And listen to it alot.post #8 of 577/10/10 at 2:21ampost #9 of 577/10/10 at 2:23am
It's a great headphone. I think the more headphones you have listened to, the more you will enjoy the Ed. 8 as you will realize how many little things other headphones get wrong (in my opinion) that these do right. The soundstage is a little on the small side, but other than that they have a very cohesive refined sound that works great with all genres of music. The Dacport does a nice a job with the headphone, the only thing I don't like about it is using such a small knob to adjust the volume.post #10 of 577/10/10 at 5:54ampost #11 of 577/10/10 at 9:03ampost #12 of 577/10/10 at 2:06pmpost #13 of 577/10/10 at 2:33pm
haha... i tried them. I didn't think they were worth the price, but shoot... I'm still a college student for just a bit longer. Did they have over a thousand dollars worth of sound quality? Honestly, they sound good but I was expecting to be really wowed. I was expecting a really huge sound stage, but it is quite upfront compared to the PROs. It was also sibilant to my sibilant music. Go figure. That was probably a stupid statement.
Also, it was also too polite sounding for me.
If you have a good source, by all means. I don't think I would ever buy the ED8s though. The ED9s on the other hand... I am tempted...post #14 of 577/10/10 at 3:52pm
Ya, the Edition 8 does NOT have a huge soundstage. But I don't think they are billed that way either. The big boast is the S Logic. I will have to admit that the S Logic is rather deceptive. You do get a sense of surround, but it's not really extremely noticable. I think that's something I like about the S Logic. Voices sound like they are right between your eyes. It's pretty sweet. But The Edition 8 or any Ultrasone for that matter has to be purchased as a matter of taste.
- Ultrasone Edition 8 Lust
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › 2359glenn | studio 2 minutes ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 6 minutes ago
- › Pioneer U-05 USB DAC/amp with dual ES9016 6 minutes ago
- › Bryston BHA 1 8 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 10 minutes ago
- › 1more E1001 triple driver in ear headphones review 10 minutes ago
- › Audirvana Plus 2.0 13 minutes ago
- › Rising cost of "audiophile" equipment and importance of bias/blind... 13 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions 16 minutes ago
- › AUNE M2 STANDARD + 16GB MICRO SD CARD 18 minutes ago
- › Chord DAVE by Currawong
- › Audeze LCD-4 by Dillan
- › Sennheiser IE80 by AnssiRai
- › Effect Audio Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable by sonickarma
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Tayyab Pirzada
- › Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers - Bluetooth... by dnun8086
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...