Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp for Grado PS1000
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp for Grado PS1000 - Page 4

post #46 of 52

I also commented about this in the PS1000 appreciation thread, but I ended up with the following gear:

 

DAC: Audio-gd NFB1.32 (I wanted a balanced set up, it supports high end USB transfer rates, and the Sabre DAC chip)

AMP: Bryston BHA-1 (I wanted a balanced amp with great power)

 

I've only had this setup for about a week and I must say that it is amazing.  I've been finding some 24/96 source music, like the new Muse album, and I find myself stopping work to listen to song parts as they come on.  Definitely a recommended set up.

post #47 of 52

Guy's, I'm seriously considering buying the PS1000. I already own the HD800, T1, and LCD-2, and I love all 3. Each has it's own unique sound signature. Is there anything sound-wise you would say that the PS-1000 does better than any of those 3? I'm sure it has it's own unique incredible sound.

 

Thanks

post #48 of 52

PS-1000 sounds great.

The issue for you is that a system best for HD800, T1 may not be best for PS-1000.

A pair of low impedance phone being overdrived could sound much worse than a pair of high impedance phones being underdrived.

You may need to build another system for PS-1000, so it depends on whether you can accept those costs.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackskelly View Post

Guy's, I'm seriously considering buying the PS1000. I already own the HD800, T1, and LCD-2, and I love all 3. Each has it's own unique sound signature. Is there anything sound-wise you would say that the PS-1000 does better than any of those 3? I'm sure it has it's own unique incredible sound.

 

Thanks

post #49 of 52

Thanks stokitw for the information. I might consider getting the PS500 or GS1000i, which cost less than the PS1000 and are probably better values, since I've never owned a Grado headphone before. That way I can hear what the "Grado sound" is like without spending as much.

post #50 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackskelly View Post

Thanks stokitw for the information. I might consider getting the PS500 or GS1000i, which cost less than the PS1000 and are probably better values, since I've never owned a Grado headphone before. That way I can hear what the "Grado sound" is like without spending as much.

You can get the Grado sound in an SR60 for peanuts!

post #51 of 52

For the system, I would recommend Grace Design M902 if usb is not an option for you or Grace Design M903 to utilize its asynchronous usb.

This is perhaps the most cost and hassle efficient best for low-impedance phones system.

 

As for GS-1000 and PS500, I maybe bias toward GS-1000 since I am still using it.

The biggest downside of GS-1000 is that it is too sensitive to system change, but you can avoid that by getting a suitable system like M902/903.

As far as trying out "Grado sound", GS-1000/PS1000 are actually deviations from traditional Grado sound best in RS-1 which emphasizing the intimacy.

Those 1000s successfully give you a sound like you are sitting at seats around 10-15 row in a well-designed concert hall (while RS-1 gives you the very front row).

PS500 is kind of in the middle between 1000s and traditional Grado sound.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackskelly View Post

Thanks stokitw for the information. I might consider getting the PS500 or GS1000i, which cost less than the PS1000 and are probably better values, since I've never owned a Grado headphone before. That way I can hear what the "Grado sound" is like without spending as much.

post #52 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokitw View Post

For the system, I would recommend Grace Design M902 if usb is not an option for you or Grace Design M903 to utilize its asynchronous usb.

This is perhaps the most cost and hassle efficient best for low-impedance phones system.

 

As for GS-1000 and PS500, I maybe bias toward GS-1000 since I am still using it.

The biggest downside of GS-1000 is that it is too sensitive to system change, but you can avoid that by getting a suitable system like M902/903.

As far as trying out "Grado sound", GS-1000/PS1000 are actually deviations from traditional Grado sound best in RS-1 which emphasizing the intimacy.

Those 1000s successfully give you a sound like you are sitting at seats around 10-15 row in a well-designed concert hall (while RS-1 gives you the very front row).

PS500 is kind of in the middle between 1000s and traditional Grado sound.

 

 

I've heard great things about the Grace Design M902 and M903, thanks for the info, I will investigate. If only a headphone could sound like what the conductor hears from his (or her) position!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp for Grado PS1000