What amp would be a good pairing with the PS1000? I would be using them with an ipod through a lod. I tried to search through the forums but there are so many choices and any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Related Forum Threads
- First post ever. V-Moda M-80's...Good starter Audiophile headphone? Amps? Last post on 6/9/12 at 9:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- How would a tube amp fit into my setup? Last post on 10/13/11 at 10:03am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD25-1 II + FiiO E7? Last post on 9/25/11 at 4:54pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable amp for ipod classic + Sennheiser HD 600? Last post on 2/19/14 at 4:15am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Faulty Fiio E7? Last post on 9/16/11 at 1:47pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This is my review originally posted on http://www.earphonia.com/2016/10/24/ibasso-it03-review/ I was honoured to be approached by iBasso with their first venture into IEM territory and they...
This is my review originally posted on http://www.earphonia.com/2016/10/24/jomo-samba-pro-audio-ciem-review/ Jomo Audio is a Singapore local company that crafts in ear earphones that sound and...
Elephone Whisper Noise Cancelling Earphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to GearBest for the sample. Full review...
Disclaimer: These headphones were sent to me thanks to the Oppo loaner program. They have since been returned and sent to the next reviewer. Want a headphone that sounds excellent, is easy...
Introduction: Unfamiliar Territory A couple of years ago, I was telling my father-in-law about my audio and music hobby. He asked me if the equipment I had was made by "Pioneer, Sony" or...
Amp for Grado PS1000
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 537/6/10 at 4:28pmpost #3 of 537/6/10 at 4:43pmThread Starterpost #4 of 537/6/10 at 6:45pm
Save your money, given that your source is merely ipod, any investment on amp is not worth it.
Ipod should be able to provide you enough volume for now.
Wait till you can get the budget for a good source AND amp for the next step.post #5 of 537/6/10 at 7:09pmThread Starterpost #6 of 537/7/10 at 1:33pm
I am currently listening to PS1000 using HiFiMAN 801 as source and Hifiman EF5 as amp (with good NOS tube.)
It sounds quite good ...
But I have the same question - what amp for PS1000.
I tried SET - it was not a good match in the bass department ...
Edited by saisunil - 7/8/10 at 8:49ampost #7 of 537/7/10 at 2:25pmThread Starterpost #8 of 537/8/10 at 8:50am
I can (theoretically) think of a PS1000 as a three-way spreaker that needs to be biamped - Solid state for bass and tubes (possibly SET) on top and mids ...post #9 of 537/10/10 at 10:15am
I just picked up a Matrix M-Stage for $280 including shipping from eBay. It's not a portable amp though it is small enough to pack with you while travelling. I use this amp along with my Sony X1060 as a mobile listening rig (I travel 50% for my job). I actually like this amp better than my Melos (before it was seriously modded - and with the overly warm Sony X as source w/ the PS1000). A good amp will better bring out details and low-level information, increase impact and control of bass, and extend frequency extreme. The improvements are subtle, but noticeable. [Another amp that is getting a lot of buzz is the Schiit Asgard]
One of the great things about the PS1000 is that it works well straight out of portable players - the midrange stays pretty sweet.
After you get an amp, you can upgrade your source. There is no shame in running an iPod through a desktop amp to power expensive phones. Lots of headfi'ers do it - more than they will care to outright admit - probably because they may be subjected to embarrassment and ridicule from the more "sophisticated."
Finally, Sunil is right on the spot when he says the PS1000 should be amped with SS on the bottom and tubes on the top. Unfortunately this isn't possible on headphones. Personally, I'm tending toward SS for the PS1000 because I like the extension, impact, and control of bass (over the romantic midrange of tubes) that SS offers.
Edited by purrin - 12/7/10 at 1:05pmpost #10 of 537/10/10 at 10:24am
I am in a similar predicament. I have not yet purchased an amp or headphones, but I'm set on the PS1000's. There are a few vendors who carry amps and the grado line that are willing to give package prices, but my uncertainty in amp purchase is still holding me back.
The Ear HP4 seems to be a hit (too expensive for my tastes and I'm hesitant to buy used), and the Cary Xciter is another one that supposedy pairs up well.
Bsame, what is your price range and do you have a preference for tubes vs SS?post #11 of 537/10/10 at 10:30am
Speaking of Ear HP4 and Cary Xciter, I've heard the Luxman P1u works well with PS1000s too. But ya, what is your price range? I wouldn't go for tubes for PS1000 if you are not willing to be spending at least ~$2000.
Edited by purrin - 7/10/10 at 10:37ampost #12 of 537/10/10 at 10:35am
LOL, just go for it. The PS1000s perform decently un-amped. Just get a cheap high performing midrange amp and take your time (go to meets, etc.) to find out which megabuck amp (and source) you want to get later on.
Edited by purrin - 7/10/10 at 10:37ampost #13 of 537/10/10 at 1:16pm
The P1-u does look very enticing. If I had to choose any SS amp without considering the price this would definitely be it.
You are probably right. I can either get the ALO amphora + PS1000 for $2345 or the WA6SE + PS1000 for $2545. I should probably pull the trigger on one of those then just upgrade later on when I know more what I want. Thanks for the advice purrin!
post #14 of 537/10/10 at 6:34pm
- Amp for Grado PS1000
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Earbuds Round-Up 58 seconds ago
- › Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Tennmak 3 minutes ago
- › Waterproof headphone under 60$ 3 minutes ago
- › DAC - Resonessence Labs Invicta V2 (with the ES9018 chip on the... 4 minutes ago
- › WESTONE UM2 DUAL DRIVER CLEAR IEMS 4 minutes ago
- › Need Help From AudioPhiles 4 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Private messaging 6 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1000X 6 minutes ago
- › iBasso IT03 by sonickarma
- › Jomo Audio Samba Pro CIEM by sonickarma
- › Elephone Whisper by mark2410
- › OPPO PM-1 by maxh22
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by rebbi
- › 1MORE Capsule Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by B9Scrambler
- › RHA MA750i by High-End-Addict
- › Hidizs AP60 HiFi Mini Bluetooth Lossless MP3 Portable Music Player... by HiFiChris
- › 64 Audio U10 by Brooko
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by noobandroid
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...