What amp would be a good pairing with the PS1000? I would be using them with an ipod through a lod. I tried to search through the forums but there are so many choices and any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Related Forum Threads
- First post ever. V-Moda M-80's...Good starter Audiophile headphone? Amps? Last post on 6/9/12 at 9:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- How would a tube amp fit into my setup? Last post on 10/13/11 at 10:03am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD25-1 II + FiiO E7? Last post on 9/25/11 at 4:54pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable amp for ipod classic + Sennheiser HD 600? Last post on 2/19/14 at 4:15am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Faulty Fiio E7? Last post on 9/16/11 at 1:47pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Brainwavz S0 Quick Review Thanks to mp4nation for the sample. Full Review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/743834/brainwavz-s0-review-by-mark2410 Brief: The S5 has a baby...
Over the recent months, Creative has been bursting out some pretty nice portable gears aiming from the basic casual user all the way up to serious audiophiles. Most importantly, they are pricing...
When Blue Microphones (started in California in 1995) announced the Mo-Fi, I was immediately intrigued. Here was a well-respected and highly regarded microphone manufacturer with...
The main selling point of this DAP is its size. Operation is straightforward, and small screen is better than none. Sound signature is likeable, detailed enough and musical enough. It uses RKnanoC...
I realize this is ancient news in 2014 but I recently rediscovered my iAudio7 and am loving it. It sounds remarkably good for a "fun"-signatured DAP and holy mackerel, the battery life is...
Amp for Grado PS1000
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 527/6/10 at 4:28pmpost #3 of 527/6/10 at 4:43pmThread Starterpost #4 of 527/6/10 at 6:45pm
Save your money, given that your source is merely ipod, any investment on amp is not worth it.
Ipod should be able to provide you enough volume for now.
Wait till you can get the budget for a good source AND amp for the next step.post #5 of 527/6/10 at 7:09pmThread Starterpost #6 of 527/7/10 at 1:33pm
I am currently listening to PS1000 using HiFiMAN 801 as source and Hifiman EF5 as amp (with good NOS tube.)
It sounds quite good ...
But I have the same question - what amp for PS1000.
I tried SET - it was not a good match in the bass department ...
Edited by saisunil - 7/8/10 at 8:49ampost #7 of 527/7/10 at 2:25pmThread Starterpost #8 of 527/8/10 at 8:50am
I can (theoretically) think of a PS1000 as a three-way spreaker that needs to be biamped - Solid state for bass and tubes (possibly SET) on top and mids ...post #9 of 527/10/10 at 10:15am
I just picked up a Matrix M-Stage for $280 including shipping from eBay. It's not a portable amp though it is small enough to pack with you while travelling. I use this amp along with my Sony X1060 as a mobile listening rig (I travel 50% for my job). I actually like this amp better than my Melos (before it was seriously modded - and with the overly warm Sony X as source w/ the PS1000). A good amp will better bring out details and low-level information, increase impact and control of bass, and extend frequency extreme. The improvements are subtle, but noticeable. [Another amp that is getting a lot of buzz is the Schiit Asgard]
One of the great things about the PS1000 is that it works well straight out of portable players - the midrange stays pretty sweet.
After you get an amp, you can upgrade your source. There is no shame in running an iPod through a desktop amp to power expensive phones. Lots of headfi'ers do it - more than they will care to outright admit - probably because they may be subjected to embarrassment and ridicule from the more "sophisticated."
Finally, Sunil is right on the spot when he says the PS1000 should be amped with SS on the bottom and tubes on the top. Unfortunately this isn't possible on headphones. Personally, I'm tending toward SS for the PS1000 because I like the extension, impact, and control of bass (over the romantic midrange of tubes) that SS offers.
Edited by purrin - 12/7/10 at 1:05pmpost #10 of 527/10/10 at 10:24am
I am in a similar predicament. I have not yet purchased an amp or headphones, but I'm set on the PS1000's. There are a few vendors who carry amps and the grado line that are willing to give package prices, but my uncertainty in amp purchase is still holding me back.
The Ear HP4 seems to be a hit (too expensive for my tastes and I'm hesitant to buy used), and the Cary Xciter is another one that supposedy pairs up well.
Bsame, what is your price range and do you have a preference for tubes vs SS?post #11 of 527/10/10 at 10:30am
Speaking of Ear HP4 and Cary Xciter, I've heard the Luxman P1u works well with PS1000s too. But ya, what is your price range? I wouldn't go for tubes for PS1000 if you are not willing to be spending at least ~$2000.
Edited by purrin - 7/10/10 at 10:37ampost #12 of 527/10/10 at 10:35am
LOL, just go for it. The PS1000s perform decently un-amped. Just get a cheap high performing midrange amp and take your time (go to meets, etc.) to find out which megabuck amp (and source) you want to get later on.
Edited by purrin - 7/10/10 at 10:37ampost #13 of 527/10/10 at 1:16pm
The P1-u does look very enticing. If I had to choose any SS amp without considering the price this would definitely be it.
You are probably right. I can either get the ALO amphora + PS1000 for $2345 or the WA6SE + PS1000 for $2545. I should probably pull the trigger on one of those then just upgrade later on when I know more what I want. Thanks for the advice purrin!
post #14 of 527/10/10 at 6:34pm
- Amp for Grado PS1000
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Good headphones for gaming 19 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 50 seconds ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Triple Fi 10 Custom Mold No Bass 4 minutes ago
- › David Oistrakh- Tchaikovsky Concerto 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Audeze lcd 2 help 6 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 7 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 7 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by ClieOS
- › Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with... by MacedonianHero
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › Cowon iAUDIO 7 16Gb by Climber
- › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones by TheHeadPhoneGuy
- › Shure SRH840 by SoundApprentice
- › Beyerdynamic DT-990 Professional Headphones by SoundApprentice
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by anoobis
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by dweaver
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)