Though the DACport is an Adaptive USB implementation, all reviews say its a top choice. I think the Pico's amp section would again be better than the DACport but for ultimate portability, you really can't go wrong with a DACport.
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 7/6/10
- categoryDigital Coaxial Cablestagged by System, 7/6/10
- productHeadAmp pico Portable Amptagged by System, 7/6/10
- productHeadAmp pico USB DAC/Amptagged by System, 7/6/10
- productibasso D10 Cobratagged by System, 7/6/10
- productJH Audio JH13 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by System, 7/6/10
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 7/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- PICO AMP/DAC and Woo Audio WA6 Last post on 7/18/10 at 10:50am in Portable Headphone Amps
- UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix,... Last post on 5/13/13 at 12:28pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Mid - High End DAC/AMP Combos (Please Rate) Last post on 12/12/12 at 8:35am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best DAC/Amp Combo with a Cowon J3 and Westone 3? Last post on 9/3/12 at 6:11pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Pico DAC/AMP or just an amp? Last post on 9/27/11 at 10:23pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Build I've had a lot of headphones in the past and prior to this I thought in the sub 300 price category the Beyer DT990/880 were the best, they certainly still are at the top of the chart but this...
A Brief Review of the FiiO X3 2nd Generation DAP with Comparisons to the Xuelin iHiFi 800. Firstly, I would like to thank Mr. James Chung for allowing this preview of FiiO’s new X3...
Hello all in Head Fi community. This is my first ever review in this forum.I am not an expert in reviewing so I will only use very simple term or definition to convey my message. I just received...
My colleague owns a pair of HD 580. Their sound is very versatile, bass and highs are extended perfectly. Despite that, extreme ends never flood the mids. Whatever you listen to, they will not let...
This review is for Aurisonics Rockets in ears, a little about me I am 38 years old and have been into hi-res audio since I was in middle school. I don't consider myself an audiophile like many on...
Portable DAC/Amp advice? - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Hmmm... dunno why nobody mentioned the Leckerton Audio UHA-6. Have a look!
You can find a little review and some opinions (amongst others from me) here. If you understand german (or know how to interpret the google-translator's gibberish ;)), you'll perhaps find my own review of the UHA-6 helpful, too. Heck, if your budget is tight, you could even consider a refurbished UHA-3, as it's dead silent, rock solid and well-built. I used the UHA-3 with my TF10 and Audéo PFE112 and was more than satisfied... you can find my review here. (again in german)
The sound stage argument is a myth. What happens is folks go balanced and the volume is louder since you have double the power on tap so it gets interpreted as greater sound stage. With headphones in general, ESPECIALLY IEMs, balanced output makes very little sense. I suppose once can argue about balanced GROUND but with IEMs, balanced output is a waste of time (I wish you could DBT say the Protector with a single-ended Protector, I would bet my JH-3A preoder you couldn't tell the difference). One of the biggest myths perpetrated on this site by some vendors is that balanced == better when it comes to headphones. There is a REASON why all the professional monitoring equipment has single ended headphone outputs (and its not because of cost). You get very little gain if any when used with headphones. Ok, rant over.
Well, the two amp sections are different overall, if I recall, and that would also have to bring cable differences (also contested territory) into it, for a double whammy/proving neither DBT.
If you supply the equipment I'd take that bet. =P
Also, you make a good arguement for not going balanced. I'm still GOING to, mostly because placebo is an awesome awesome power, but it's fairly debatable territory.
- Portable DAC/Amp advice?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Band Name Game II 7 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares 56 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 59 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Superlux Express Train 1 minute ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 2 minutes ago
- › EarWerkz Legend R. 8 Driver, 7-Way, 6-Crossover Flagship |... 3 minutes ago
- › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? 3 minutes ago
- › Echobox Finder X1 -- One of the pleasant surprises of CanJam 3 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Zulkr9
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by jdog
- › ZERO AUDIO-ear stereo headphone carbo Basso ZH-DX210-CB by AzimAkbar
- › Sennheiser HD540 Reference Headphones by homesicalien
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by acain
- › Incipio f38 Headphones by ahnvx
- › Bose® IE2 audio headphones by Sarurururu
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by Ruwetuin
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by mark2410
- › Sony Inner Ear Hi-res Stereo Headphone Xba-a2 Black (Japan Import) by Hawaiibadboy
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2