Though the DACport is an Adaptive USB implementation, all reviews say its a top choice. I think the Pico's amp section would again be better than the DACport but for ultimate portability, you really can't go wrong with a DACport.
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 7/6/10
- categoryDigital Coaxial Cablestagged by System, 7/6/10
- productHeadAmp pico Portable Amptagged by System, 7/6/10
- productHeadAmp pico USB DAC/Amptagged by System, 7/6/10
- productibasso D10 Cobratagged by System, 7/6/10
- productJH Audio JH13 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by System, 7/6/10
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 7/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- PICO AMP/DAC and Woo Audio WA6 Last post on 7/18/10 at 10:50am in Portable Headphone Amps
- UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix,... Last post on 5/13/13 at 12:28pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Mid - High End DAC/AMP Combos (Please Rate) Last post on 12/12/12 at 8:35am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best DAC/Amp Combo with a Cowon J3 and Westone 3? Last post on 9/3/12 at 6:11pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Pico DAC/AMP or just an amp? Last post on 9/27/11 at 10:23pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Brainwavz S0 Quick Review Thanks to mp4nation for the sample. Full Review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/743834/brainwavz-s0-review-by-mark2410 Brief: The S5 has a baby...
Over the recent months, Creative has been bursting out some pretty nice portable gears aiming from the basic casual user all the way up to serious audiophiles. Most importantly, they are pricing...
The main selling point of this DAP is its size. Operation is straightforward, and small screen is better than none. Sound signature is likeable, detailed enough and musical enough. It uses RKnanoC...
I realize this is ancient news in 2014 but I recently rediscovered my iAudio7 and am loving it. It sounds remarkably good for a "fun"-signatured DAP and holy mackerel, the battery life is...
Portable DAC/Amp advice? - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Hmmm... dunno why nobody mentioned the Leckerton Audio UHA-6. Have a look!
You can find a little review and some opinions (amongst others from me) here. If you understand german (or know how to interpret the google-translator's gibberish ;)), you'll perhaps find my own review of the UHA-6 helpful, too. Heck, if your budget is tight, you could even consider a refurbished UHA-3, as it's dead silent, rock solid and well-built. I used the UHA-3 with my TF10 and Audéo PFE112 and was more than satisfied... you can find my review here. (again in german)
The sound stage argument is a myth. What happens is folks go balanced and the volume is louder since you have double the power on tap so it gets interpreted as greater sound stage. With headphones in general, ESPECIALLY IEMs, balanced output makes very little sense. I suppose once can argue about balanced GROUND but with IEMs, balanced output is a waste of time (I wish you could DBT say the Protector with a single-ended Protector, I would bet my JH-3A preoder you couldn't tell the difference). One of the biggest myths perpetrated on this site by some vendors is that balanced == better when it comes to headphones. There is a REASON why all the professional monitoring equipment has single ended headphone outputs (and its not because of cost). You get very little gain if any when used with headphones. Ok, rant over.
Well, the two amp sections are different overall, if I recall, and that would also have to bring cable differences (also contested territory) into it, for a double whammy/proving neither DBT.
If you supply the equipment I'd take that bet. =P
Also, you make a good arguement for not going balanced. I'm still GOING to, mostly because placebo is an awesome awesome power, but it's fairly debatable territory.
- Portable DAC/Amp advice?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › FS: HiFiMAN RE-600 Songbird IEMs 55 seconds ago
- › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 1 minute ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 1 minute ago
- › New Release! The K7XX Massdrop First Edition - an exclusive from... 2 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 3 minutes ago
- › Some HOT Science From Synergistic Research 4 minutes ago
- › How to match speaker / sub-woofer volume and phase? 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by ClieOS
- › Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with... by MacedonianHero
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › Cowon iAUDIO 7 16Gb by Climber
- › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones by TheHeadPhoneGuy
- › Shure SRH840 by SoundApprentice
- › Beyerdynamic DT-990 Professional Headphones by SoundApprentice
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by anoobis
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by dweaver
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)