hey guys, im kinda new here and just got into this new hobbie. well, i own a pair of ATH-ES7 and i recently bought an ibasso t3d amp. im using a 2nd gen 16gb ipod touch as my source. i kinda have problems telling the difference when i plug in my amp or not, it sounds exactly the same. on first hand i thought amps are supposed to improve the sound? i also have an ibasso LOD connecting my amp and my ipod touch. im just kinda frustrated im not getting any thing from my amp. :((((((( help
- productAudio Technica ATH-ESW10JPNtagged by System, 7/28/10
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 880 Premium 32 OHM Headphonestagged by System, 7/14/10
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 880 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by System, 7/14/10
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 7/14/10
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphonetagged by System, 7/14/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/14/10
- brandIbassotagged by System, 7/14/10
- productIbasso T3Dtagged by System, 7/7/10
Related Forum Threads
- AD700 vs DT770 (any ohms) vs DT880 (any ohms,non-premium) vs DT990 (any ohms, non-premium)... Last post on 9/11/12 at 7:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- Alternatives to the SA5000? Last post on 10/15/10 at 3:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which Beyerdynamic DT880 impedance to get? Last post on 10/10/10 at 3:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Difference between 32 / 250/ 600 ohms Last post on 12/25/11 at 1:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- DT880 Manufactering Issues? Last post on 8/18/10 at 12:33am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
It’s not often I have the absolute pleasure of listening to headphones such as the MA750i. It’s been more than a year since I’ve gotten my Macaw GT100s, and several months since I’ve lost...
So like many I'm not exactly into a super flat sound signature. I like some bass at times, actually pretty much all the time. I own flat headphones and I've heard many of the best flat headphones...
Introduction – Westone separate their universal range of iems into two categories, the consumer W series and the more professionally orientated UM Pro series that were designed for use during live...
First of all, I would like to thank Dimitri Trush, CEO of the MusicaAcoustics for providing me review sample of Oriolus in exchange of my honest opinion. Oriolus’ official website:...
These are easily the best headphones I have. They are a strange set in that they have a nice flat neutral sound signature that gives great detailed mids and highs, but have great sub and mid bass,...
Ibasso T3D HELP!!!!post #1 of 317/3/10 at 3:33amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 317/3/10 at 6:32am
It depends on the headphone and the amp. You might not notice a big difference. Give it more time, and if you still don't notice any difference, sell it and use the money towards your next headphone upgrade.post #3 of 317/3/10 at 6:55am
I tend to stay away from amps when the source is an iPod touch and the headphones are dynamic. The touch drives dynamic earphones perfectly unless they need sooo much juice just to get loud enough. Hell, even my DT880 600Ω sounds amazing with the iPod touch. You'd be surprised that volume matching a couple of neutral amps and sources will reveal that there is little to no difference on easy to drive headphones like the DT880. Any dynamic earphone too, is pretty easy to drive from the touch unless you need massive volume. I've detected no bass fall off on any dynamic earphone, no suckout, or anything. If you need hard EQ, that is another thing, but hardly an issue here.
I use amps only for balanced armature earphones or for volume-hungry full sized headphones. Or, for a different flavour.post #4 of 317/3/10 at 7:18ampost #5 of 317/3/10 at 7:57amThread Starterpost #6 of 317/3/10 at 8:25am
I don't think they conned you, they were probably using a different combination of headphones & amp. Or they perceive differences differently than you do. Or it is possible, that they imagined the differences through placebo.
But you have to understand how amps work, they don't magically improve music. They move a headphone's drivers. If the driver is sufficiently light and easy to control, a more powerful amplifier does minimal good. If however, the driver is difficult to move, an amplifier could well be useful. Headphones like the K701 benefit greatly from an amplifier; efficient dynamic headphones, like the ES7, may not.
Edited by Ypoknons - 7/3/10 at 8:27ampost #7 of 317/3/10 at 8:45amThread Starter
ohh icic. seems like i just wasted a whole lot of $$ getting the t3d and the LOD. stupid me, should have done more research. hmm but does the t3d need to burn in? maybe with some burn in it would work. hahapost #8 of 317/3/10 at 8:51am
The T3D is an amp that excels for amping balanced armature earphones. I have lots of IEM's, but only use it to amp my balanced armature earphones. For that job, it pretty much beats anything in the price range and tears down most portable sources. Great amp. But, with non-balanced armature earphones, I tend to just let my iPod tackle it.post #9 of 317/3/10 at 9:01amThread Starter
ok im so sorry for my weak understanding of audiophile technical stuffs. but do u mind explaining whats an IEM and balanced and non balanced armature headphones? thanks alot, much appreciatedpost #10 of 317/3/10 at 9:09am
IEM is an inner ear monitor. They come in two basic forms: dynamic (moving coil - like your headphones with a magnet and large vibrating diaphragm) and balanced armature (a semi-sealed box with a diaphragm on the inside that vibrates and shunts the sound out through a port. The latter group are often linked together via circuit boards or point-point wiring systems called cross overs that basically tell which driver to spit out which frequency.
They often each down to 6-8Ω load which is very hard to drive for any portable source except for the S:Flo and Fuze and Clip. So, where the drivers actually drop to 6-8Ω (at what frequency), the player will not be able to cope and lose a certain amount of the audible frequency range. Amps like the T3D drive these iems perfectly: FR 100% performance, great stereo image, and good signal strength.
Even good portables can suffer when playing good balanced armature earphones (which I reckon are the hardest mass production earphones to drive).post #11 of 317/3/10 at 9:12ampost #12 of 317/3/10 at 9:15amThread Starter
hmm, sooo what earphones do i need to get the best out of my t3ds shigzeo? my price range is about $200 singapore dollars. im not so sure about korea's exchange rate with SG. haha. $200 SGD is about $120 USD i think. btw i listen to so much korean music in my ipod that i decided to get an amp. haha. <3 wondergirlspost #13 of 317/3/10 at 9:38am
Wow - TMI? haha, just joking. Um, you know, if you like your current headphones, just keep them. Its hard to say which earphones would be good. For your price range, there might not be a very hard to drive balanced armature out there... the iPod touch already has a very capable output system... if you were buying something like a Westone UM2 or an expensive custom, I'd fully recommend the T3D if you really wanted to hang your hat with amps, but otherwise, the touch is as is, a very good sounding player in need of no amp.post #14 of 317/3/10 at 11:12am
oh damn, I have the same set-up except I'm going to be using Monster MDs. Haven't received the amp yet, but kind of worried too. But would using a 5.5 ipod be much better?post #15 of 317/3/10 at 11:16am
You are in luck if you have an iPod 5.5 - it has noticeable bass roll off, but everything else is very good. The T3D will restore that roll off even if amped from the headphone out. But, how well you notice the bass roll off is another story. I tend to be pretty sensitive to it and actually sold a few players because the roll off and other artefacts were bad enough that I got headache. The MD should be well bassy already though, so it will really be up to your ears.
If you hear people say that an amp makes a black and white difference, it is probably an exaggeration. An amp can make a huge difference IF your source hisses madly or has horrid suckout/roll off under load. An amp can't fix a bad signal though. It also has limitations. You are only really adding to or replacing the output stage of your source, not changing the source. Good luck.
- Ibasso T3D HELP!!!!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player 2 minutes ago
- › ZhiYin QT5 4BA + 1DD Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Help Me Diagnose Why My Setup Sounds Harsh With Orchestral Music 4 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 8 minutes ago
- › ZMF Omni - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship 9 minutes ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Dragonfly Black on KitKat 4.4.2 12 minutes ago
- › m50x and iPod. Help! 17 minutes ago
- › RHA MA750i by Cinder
- › RM-S1 Wired Sport Headset Stereo Headphone Earphone For iPhone 6... by Redcarmoose
- › Westone Um Pro 50 Clear Earbuds by ryanjsoo
- › Oriolus In-Ear Monitors (v2) by Aerosphere
- › SoundMAGIC HP100 Premium Over-the-Ear Folding Headphone by harry501501
- › Audio-Opus Opus#1 by musicday
- › Wired 3.5MM Headphones Earphones, Ghostek® Turbine Series Wired... by Cinder
- › Cleer DU High-Definition Dual Driver Headphone by moedawg140
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by thingol
- › Effect Audio Thor Coper IEM Upgrade Cable by Vitor Valeri
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...