great! thanks for the reply. looking forward to getting an A1 for myself :)
Related Forum Threads
- Best headphone amplifiers to go with headphones? Last post on 9/25/10 at 12:55pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Maverick Audio Tubemagic A1 or D1 for my setup ? Last post on 8/27/10 at 2:58pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 (Hybrid Amp) - Discussion and Review Thread Last post on 3/6/16 at 4:10pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Maverick Audio DAC/Amp Last post on 3/1/17 at 8:43pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Last post on 9/15/11 at 2:25pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
IT WAS THE FIRST HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER I BOUGHT AND I PAIRED IT WITH A SONY NWZ-A15. DECENT SOUND, ALMOST NO PROBLEM WITH IT, BUT EXCEPT ITS DESIGN WHICH I FIND SOMEWHAT UGLY IT WAS UNABLE TO...
Intro & Me: I'm best described as someone who loves music, loves gear and loves to combine them into a "hobby" that focuses on all of these important ingredients from Head-Fi. I have quite a...
Picture are default 1200 x 800 resolution - click to view larger images.INTRODUCTIONThis one came out of the blue. A company I'd never heard of, and an IEM I didn't know existed. The inquiry was...
[[SPOILER]] Introduction:The device was lent to me as part of FiiO's review tour. I was given 10 days with the device to evaluate it and in return give my honest opinion about it. My current...
At the time this review was written, the iFi Pro iCan was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here are some links for purchase and...
Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 (Hybrid Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread - Page 3
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #32 of 988/24/10 at 4:00pmpost #33 of 988/24/10 at 5:04pmThread StarterQuote:
Pure personal preference. Using the tube, it gives you more options to play with and flavor the music to your liking.post #34 of 988/24/10 at 6:19pm
I asked because I have a D1 and a standalone tube pre-amplifier (not the A1). I was thinking of getting the A1, as I have desktop speakers (Tannoy F1 custom). I was not sure if D1 + A1 + tube amp would be too over-the-top for my HD650 and AKG 702 - a 'double tube amplification' if you get what I mean.post #35 of 988/24/10 at 9:47pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by s0126471
I asked because I have a D1 and a standalone tube pre-amplifier (not the A1). I was thinking of getting the A1, as I have desktop speakers (Tannoy F1 custom). I was not sure if D1 + A1 + tube amp would be too over-the-top for my HD650 and AKG 702 - a 'double tube amplification' if you get what I mean.
Wouldn't that be triple tube? :P I don't know enough about circuits to say if there might be issues with running audio through 3 tube stages. Ryan had the following to say about using the D1's tube output into the A1:Quote:Please note it is recommended that you use solid state output from the D1 since the A1 already has tube pre-amp stage. Two tube pre-amp stage will make the sound too slow, and maybe the reason that you have had the hum on 2 o'clock position.
I notice no ill effects and actually really enjoy the sound signature of the D1 w/stock Chinese tube & the A1 with Tung-Sol's. What I would recommend to you, if you really want the A1, is to sell your current tube amp (or find another use for it) instead of adding it to the Maverick Audio twins.post #36 of 989/25/10 at 7:47ampost #37 of 989/25/10 at 9:13amThread Starterpost #38 of 989/25/10 at 2:50pmThread Starterpost #39 of 9810/16/10 at 8:44pmThread Starterpost #40 of 9810/17/10 at 12:40am
If you don't want to drain it I would say leave the thing unplugged for at least 2 days and even then you are still risking it. Much like the warnings on a computer power supply considering its made to power speakers. Or you can ground yourself and wear some rubber gloves. A 220v shock could easily send you flying(probably won't kill you unless it gets your heart).
Still if you don't know what your doing your better off with an unmodified A1, than a half modded A1 and a funeral. Or you can take it to a electronics shop, pay a fee and tell them what needs to be done.
Edited by ninjikiran - 10/17/10 at 12:48ampost #41 of 9810/17/10 at 11:30amThread Starter
v0.9 - Added tutorial for Spanky's Mod.
ninjikiran, it's not that I don't want to drain it but it's kind of difficult inside the case and I don't have a large resistor to do it. I read that you actually don't want to ground yourself because that allows the current to pass through you. Insulated tools and rubber gloves do help Here's what the spark did to the resistor:
All is well and working now Resistor still measures good and within tolerances.
Edited by _Spanky_ - 10/17/10 at 12:55pmpost #42 of 9810/29/10 at 4:12pm
After I got my A1 I was surprised on its simplicity inside the box. Theres not much you can do to mod it unless you want to replace resisters (other than tube rolling). The D1 is more flexible when it comes to modifications.
Although its nice to see Spanky mod an A1
The only quirk/issue I have with the A1 and D1 is one phono input - both would be excellent with one more. The A1 does have space at the back if you shift things around (the D1 doesn't) to add a pair of phono input terminals.post #43 of 981/24/11 at 9:28pmpost #44 of 981/30/11 at 7:51pm
Huh?Quote:Originally Posted by marcuocjdQuote:Originally Posted by ninjikiran
Looking forward to comparisons in quality between the D1 and the A1 in terms of headphone amplification. Not so much the differences in coloration but if it is in fact a real upward gradation.
Nice writing, Thanks for the sharing.post #45 of 981/30/11 at 9:08pm
I chuckled at your "Huh?" because I couldn't tell what the other poster was quoting from, when it was written, or by whom, since you've never owned a Maverick A1.
FWIW, from someone who owns both a Maverick D1 (stock and with the most popular op-amp substiutions) and an A1, the headphone output of the A1 is vastly better than that of the D1. Of course, that's with the D1 supplying the signal to the A1, but still, I would never plug my 650s into the D1's headphone jack as long as the A1 sits beside it. I finally hooked up my Insignia bookshelf speakers to the A1 to see how it drives speakers, and had some issues with the SQ, but I think that speakers need as much break-in time as headphones, and placement and room acoustical factors are critical, whereas with headphones they are non-existent.
- Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 (Hybrid Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Moon Audio silver dragon JH Audio 4 pin to 4.4mm Sony cable ( new... 1 hour, 32 minutes ago
- › Uptone Audio Regen latest version 6 hours, 24 minutes ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 7 hours, 27 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 10 hours, 19 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 10 hours, 49 minutes ago
- › Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality 11 hours, 9 minutes ago
- › [FS] LZ A4 (Brand new - EU located) 11 hours, 22 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 11 hours, 37 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 12 hours, 47 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary) 12 hours, 49 minutes ago
- › FiiO A3 Portable Headphone Amplifier (Black) by yannisgk
- › Rhapsodio RDB Mk.IV by SeeSax
- › Aedle ODS-1 by Brooko
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by xkonfuzed
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Hisoundfi
- › Jomo Audio pretty Little beast by ExpatinJapan
- › Campfire Audio Jupiter by mrstrangeguy
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by SOULSIK
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by SOULSIK
- › Meze 99 Neo by dweaver
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear