I really think it depends upon the source. The better the portable source the better the sound. I think portables can do much better than often believed if the source is truly improved but often a portable source isn't all the good. I use lossless with optical out to the MB-1 dual dac to a portable and get excellent sound. Much better than the standard portable source, even if lossless, due to the good dac conversion.
- brandAKGtagged by System, 7/30/10
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 7/30/10
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 7/30/10
- brandDenontagged by System, 7/30/10
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 7/30/10
- productFiiO E5 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 7/15/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/15/10
- brandIbassotagged by System, 7/15/10
- productIbasso d4 Mambatagged by System, 7/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- New but have Questions. Last post on 8/24/11 at 8:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for advice new headphones for 400-450$ Last post on 7/31/11 at 2:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- How capable is the Minibox E+ driving the AKG K701/K702? Last post on 8/30/10 at 12:36am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Akg K702 with Graham Slee Solo? Last post on 7/30/10 at 8:47pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- New member Last post on 7/12/10 at 6:58am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
This is by far the closest I have come to writing a 5 star review. Of course to get that, I would have to find the holy grail of headphones for me. I had tried the HD558, HD598, HD650, and...
Used Schiit Modi & Magni with car sim racing game with Sennheiser HD 598 headphones. Unfortunately, Modi died after 2+ years. Thought warranty was 5 years but found out the hard way it's only 2...
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
Acknowledgment Thanks, @Andykong at Cayin, and @Takeanidea for organizing the UK wing of the worldwide extravaganza of i5 tour. It is always an honour to work with great companies and dear...
Introductory word They say that once you go black.... yeah. This is quite self-explanatory. And behold, black iFi Audio product emerged. I can only say - finally. Cheers to 'em English folks....
- Headphone Impedance
iBasso D4 HELP! - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I think the problem I have is the headphone are not bassy and the D4 now has less middle and more highs if I remember what I read about it..
Two issues make a problem..
I just wish the AMP was tuned lower or I could order the opamp I wanted...
for more info on opamps ask in here http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/432749/the-opamp-thread the are bajillions of the things. changing them really can alter the entire flavour of an amp.
hi i have the d4 and the Klipsch S4 they pair well you will hear big difference there about $50-80 i got on ebay for $44 the burn it time about 15-24 hours .or the KOSS PORTA PRO cheap but very good with the d4 $25-$60 or better sorce/player check out Samsung P3 about $110 or Sansa Clip Plus about $40 i hope this helps P.S the sq from the Samsung P3 is alot better then the iTouch its so much better if you heard you would sell the iTouch
yeah the new search on here is useless but i had that thread saved. lol that thread i think is a whole new head fi in itself in terms of learning curve.
I just recieved my Monster Turbine Por Coppers and this AMP still has way to much high end.
The email from iBasso said it lost the mid vocals and had more transparent highs to my ears it has all highs and little middle and lows...
The gaim is just that like adding a few DBs not no real bass all I hear is more volume...
I contacted Ron and the Top Kit is another $45 I'm ot sure if this is going back to China and I take the shipping lose or I just dump more money into it to get the parts tha should come with it in the first place...
just watched a video on opamp chips and I am less happy let again...
If you heard something really different from your (what iPod is it?), that would have me worried. The D4 is quite a neutral amp. It isn't warm or smooth (distortion). If you want that sound, you have to go for valves. The D4 is excellent, but it isn't going to make your music into something that isn't there from the start.
The MD will probably benefit very little form an amp (honestly) as do the Copper/Gold with an iPod touch for instance as the source is already perfectly good. You want to eliminate hiss? want to replace lost frequencies? Want to boost stereo separation/lower distortion? Then sell your iPod, buy a Cowon and pair the D4 with that. You should hear improvements from the rather weasly output of that machine.
I WAS THINKING when I bought the AMP that the iPod being so small and full of features 1/2 of it a glass touch screen that the AMP in the iPod was not so great ... What I spent on a iTouch 32G I paid for the D4, I expected to hear something better than what comes from the jam packed iTouch..
For the money the D4 doesnt have touch screen, send emails, surf the web, wi-fi, play videos or games.
Some kind of EQ at the very least with a dial or maybe come with extra opamps would be nice..
I seen a video that said opamps only cost about $0.15 each in raw chip forum so I don't think it would be a deal breaker for iBasso..
If I cant get the sound I like with the Top Kit I'll live with my E5 till something better comes out :)
Edited by rarebear - 7/4/10 at 10:14am
It sounds like this is the wrong hobby for you at this point. Its not a hobby for someone who is gonna belly ache at the cost of hardware and not understand the pros and cons of different amps, dacs, headphones etc. In this hobby there is lots of trial and error, buying and selling. So, a flexible budget helps. Your not going to get your ideal listening setup right the first time. I didnt!
Maybe a pair of Dr. Dre headphones and your iPod should do it for you? Monster Turbines are a little above average in sound quality, but over priced for what they are.
This maybe your hobby, but music has been a job and love since I was very young and I'm not that young anymore, I don't consider listening to music a HOBBY....
Here is what I think about Your Hobby.........
By the way have you heard the NEW D4
Edited by rarebear - 7/4/10 at 8:47pm
- iBasso D4 HELP!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › DLeeWebb breaks 55,000 posts - Daylight Second 10 seconds ago
- › Gearbest's Headphones Thread 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE Pro Reference Remastered! (UERR) 3 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 5 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 6 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 6 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 6 minutes ago
- › Can Con Sydney Australia 7.0 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Schiit Modi by Tim Updegrove
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear