I really think it depends upon the source. The better the portable source the better the sound. I think portables can do much better than often believed if the source is truly improved but often a portable source isn't all the good. I use lossless with optical out to the MB-1 dual dac to a portable and get excellent sound. Much better than the standard portable source, even if lossless, due to the good dac conversion.
- brandAKGtagged by System, 7/30/10
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 7/30/10
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 7/30/10
- brandDenontagged by System, 7/30/10
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 7/30/10
- productFiiO E5 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 7/15/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/15/10
- brandIbassotagged by System, 7/15/10
- productIbasso d4 Mambatagged by System, 7/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- New but have Questions. Last post on 8/24/11 at 8:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for advice new headphones for 400-450$ Last post on 7/31/11 at 2:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- How capable is the Minibox E+ driving the AKG K701/K702? Last post on 8/30/10 at 12:36am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Akg K702 with Graham Slee Solo? Last post on 7/30/10 at 8:47pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- New member Last post on 7/12/10 at 6:58am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Beats, the biggest headphone brand in the world, selling more headphones than any other by a large margin and with a huge 60% market share in it's domestic market in the USA, has largely been the...
Though these are by no means perfect headphones, their price and excellent bass make them one of the best headphones you can buy for under $200. These headphones are very fun to listen to. They...
Since this is a IEM review I'll keep it short , I have no respect for IEMs ...I wish I could use headphones in the bed but since I cannot I have to resort to IEMs , not a IEM guy I picked...
I'm not much of a audiophile nor a reviewer just a regular audio enthusiast.. Apologies & correct me if I'm wrong.. Absolutely "StUnNeD" by these gems thought of sharing my...
Right have the pleasure of owning these for about 4 months. My Kit: Source: Foobar through Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Amp: Lehman Audio Blackcube Linear Headphones: Audio Technica ATH W...
- Headphone Impedance
iBasso D4 HELP! - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I think the problem I have is the headphone are not bassy and the D4 now has less middle and more highs if I remember what I read about it..
Two issues make a problem..
I just wish the AMP was tuned lower or I could order the opamp I wanted...
for more info on opamps ask in here http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/432749/the-opamp-thread the are bajillions of the things. changing them really can alter the entire flavour of an amp.
hi i have the d4 and the Klipsch S4 they pair well you will hear big difference there about $50-80 i got on ebay for $44 the burn it time about 15-24 hours .or the KOSS PORTA PRO cheap but very good with the d4 $25-$60 or better sorce/player check out Samsung P3 about $110 or Sansa Clip Plus about $40 i hope this helps P.S the sq from the Samsung P3 is alot better then the iTouch its so much better if you heard you would sell the iTouch
yeah the new search on here is useless but i had that thread saved. lol that thread i think is a whole new head fi in itself in terms of learning curve.
I just recieved my Monster Turbine Por Coppers and this AMP still has way to much high end.
The email from iBasso said it lost the mid vocals and had more transparent highs to my ears it has all highs and little middle and lows...
The gaim is just that like adding a few DBs not no real bass all I hear is more volume...
I contacted Ron and the Top Kit is another $45 I'm ot sure if this is going back to China and I take the shipping lose or I just dump more money into it to get the parts tha should come with it in the first place...
just watched a video on opamp chips and I am less happy let again...
If you heard something really different from your (what iPod is it?), that would have me worried. The D4 is quite a neutral amp. It isn't warm or smooth (distortion). If you want that sound, you have to go for valves. The D4 is excellent, but it isn't going to make your music into something that isn't there from the start.
The MD will probably benefit very little form an amp (honestly) as do the Copper/Gold with an iPod touch for instance as the source is already perfectly good. You want to eliminate hiss? want to replace lost frequencies? Want to boost stereo separation/lower distortion? Then sell your iPod, buy a Cowon and pair the D4 with that. You should hear improvements from the rather weasly output of that machine.
I WAS THINKING when I bought the AMP that the iPod being so small and full of features 1/2 of it a glass touch screen that the AMP in the iPod was not so great ... What I spent on a iTouch 32G I paid for the D4, I expected to hear something better than what comes from the jam packed iTouch..
For the money the D4 doesnt have touch screen, send emails, surf the web, wi-fi, play videos or games.
Some kind of EQ at the very least with a dial or maybe come with extra opamps would be nice..
I seen a video that said opamps only cost about $0.15 each in raw chip forum so I don't think it would be a deal breaker for iBasso..
If I cant get the sound I like with the Top Kit I'll live with my E5 till something better comes out :)
Edited by rarebear - 7/4/10 at 10:14am
It sounds like this is the wrong hobby for you at this point. Its not a hobby for someone who is gonna belly ache at the cost of hardware and not understand the pros and cons of different amps, dacs, headphones etc. In this hobby there is lots of trial and error, buying and selling. So, a flexible budget helps. Your not going to get your ideal listening setup right the first time. I didnt!
Maybe a pair of Dr. Dre headphones and your iPod should do it for you? Monster Turbines are a little above average in sound quality, but over priced for what they are.
This maybe your hobby, but music has been a job and love since I was very young and I'm not that young anymore, I don't consider listening to music a HOBBY....
Here is what I think about Your Hobby.........
By the way have you heard the NEW D4
Edited by rarebear - 7/4/10 at 8:47pm
- iBasso D4 HELP!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › PRESS RELEASE: Sennheiser at IFA 2014 - The Future of Audio 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 1 minute ago
- › Sell AKG K612 Pro and get a Fidelio X1? 2 minutes ago
- › Rumor: New Sennheiser Flagship to be surfaced ........ soon 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 + cwm recovery Latest Update: 2014-07-30 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier 3 minutes ago
- › Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC 3 minutes ago
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKN50 by bharathss
- › Audio Technica W5000 by CJ09
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by lofoscopico
- › Philips SHE3680 Headphones, Wired by suman134
- › Philips SHE9850 In-Ear Headphones with Advanced Acoustics by suman134
- › audio-technica AIR Dinamic Headphone ATH-AD2000X (Japan Import) by Quazimoto
- › HiSoundAudio E212 by fleasbaby
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)