I really think it depends upon the source. The better the portable source the better the sound. I think portables can do much better than often believed if the source is truly improved but often a portable source isn't all the good. I use lossless with optical out to the MB-1 dual dac to a portable and get excellent sound. Much better than the standard portable source, even if lossless, due to the good dac conversion.
- brandAKGtagged by System, 7/30/10
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 7/30/10
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 7/30/10
- brandDenontagged by System, 7/30/10
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 7/30/10
- productFiiO E5 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 7/15/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/15/10
- brandIbassotagged by System, 7/15/10
- productIbasso d4 Mambatagged by System, 7/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- New but have Questions. Last post on 8/24/11 at 8:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for advice new headphones for 400-450$ Last post on 7/31/11 at 2:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- How capable is the Minibox E+ driving the AKG K701/K702? Last post on 8/30/10 at 12:36am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Akg K702 with Graham Slee Solo? Last post on 7/30/10 at 8:47pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- New member Last post on 7/12/10 at 6:58am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONFirstly I want to shout out to Mark (Head-Fier d marc0) for working with Ken Ball from...
Here is my short review of the HOOKA headphone hanger. Thank you to Pandora from Brainwavz for providing me with the product. This very cool headphone hanger came in a nice, small sized...
The Emotiva DC-1 Stealth DAC is frankly, an incredible value. The only other products I can think of that offers such a complete and capable skill set for such a low cost are the Koss KSC75,...
This is a very comfortable headphone (not ideally so, but close enough) and once you get used to the clap force, you barely notice it's on. The sound quality is amazing. I have compared this...
First of all, thank you to @ejong7 for arranging for me to be included in this review tour. I am in no way affiliated with Obravo or any retailer. I am head-fi hobbyist and music lover...
- Headphone Impedance
iBasso D4 HELP! - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I think the problem I have is the headphone are not bassy and the D4 now has less middle and more highs if I remember what I read about it..
Two issues make a problem..
I just wish the AMP was tuned lower or I could order the opamp I wanted...
for more info on opamps ask in here http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/432749/the-opamp-thread the are bajillions of the things. changing them really can alter the entire flavour of an amp.
hi i have the d4 and the Klipsch S4 they pair well you will hear big difference there about $50-80 i got on ebay for $44 the burn it time about 15-24 hours .or the KOSS PORTA PRO cheap but very good with the d4 $25-$60 or better sorce/player check out Samsung P3 about $110 or Sansa Clip Plus about $40 i hope this helps P.S the sq from the Samsung P3 is alot better then the iTouch its so much better if you heard you would sell the iTouch
yeah the new search on here is useless but i had that thread saved. lol that thread i think is a whole new head fi in itself in terms of learning curve.
I just recieved my Monster Turbine Por Coppers and this AMP still has way to much high end.
The email from iBasso said it lost the mid vocals and had more transparent highs to my ears it has all highs and little middle and lows...
The gaim is just that like adding a few DBs not no real bass all I hear is more volume...
I contacted Ron and the Top Kit is another $45 I'm ot sure if this is going back to China and I take the shipping lose or I just dump more money into it to get the parts tha should come with it in the first place...
just watched a video on opamp chips and I am less happy let again...
If you heard something really different from your (what iPod is it?), that would have me worried. The D4 is quite a neutral amp. It isn't warm or smooth (distortion). If you want that sound, you have to go for valves. The D4 is excellent, but it isn't going to make your music into something that isn't there from the start.
The MD will probably benefit very little form an amp (honestly) as do the Copper/Gold with an iPod touch for instance as the source is already perfectly good. You want to eliminate hiss? want to replace lost frequencies? Want to boost stereo separation/lower distortion? Then sell your iPod, buy a Cowon and pair the D4 with that. You should hear improvements from the rather weasly output of that machine.
I WAS THINKING when I bought the AMP that the iPod being so small and full of features 1/2 of it a glass touch screen that the AMP in the iPod was not so great ... What I spent on a iTouch 32G I paid for the D4, I expected to hear something better than what comes from the jam packed iTouch..
For the money the D4 doesnt have touch screen, send emails, surf the web, wi-fi, play videos or games.
Some kind of EQ at the very least with a dial or maybe come with extra opamps would be nice..
I seen a video that said opamps only cost about $0.15 each in raw chip forum so I don't think it would be a deal breaker for iBasso..
If I cant get the sound I like with the Top Kit I'll live with my E5 till something better comes out :)
Edited by rarebear - 7/4/10 at 10:14am
It sounds like this is the wrong hobby for you at this point. Its not a hobby for someone who is gonna belly ache at the cost of hardware and not understand the pros and cons of different amps, dacs, headphones etc. In this hobby there is lots of trial and error, buying and selling. So, a flexible budget helps. Your not going to get your ideal listening setup right the first time. I didnt!
Maybe a pair of Dr. Dre headphones and your iPod should do it for you? Monster Turbines are a little above average in sound quality, but over priced for what they are.
This maybe your hobby, but music has been a job and love since I was very young and I'm not that young anymore, I don't consider listening to music a HOBBY....
Here is what I think about Your Hobby.........
By the way have you heard the NEW D4
Edited by rarebear - 7/4/10 at 8:47pm
- iBasso D4 HELP!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread 23 seconds ago
- › Rank the IEM's you've heard 32 seconds ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 39 seconds ago
- › Popular Classical Music 43 seconds ago
- › Beats headphone teardown 54 seconds ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons) 2 minutes ago
- › NEW Sony XBA-300 2 minutes ago
- › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 3 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Lyra by Brooko
- › Brainwavz Hooka by DynamikeB
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by JoeDoe
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by MorrisL
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Krisman
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by achelgeson
- › Meze 99 Classics by Mshenay
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by C.C.S.
- › Effect Audio Leonidas by MikePortnoy
- › Brainwavz BLU-200 by DynamikeB
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...