I'm looking for a good over ear closed headphone for use in libraries and study rooms and things like that. Basically places where no one can hear the music but me. I've read great things about the 750s (and some not so great things) but I think based on sound they're the cans for me. My only concern is that they will leak too much for what I need them for. I've searched alot and people only mention in passing leak on these headphones, and I've heard a variety of things. SO, if anyone has an answer for me, preferably someone that has used these headphones, it would be greatly appreciated.
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best over ear head phones for a smartphone Last post on 8/10/12 at 8:07pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice on a new open and closed headphone Last post on 7/5/12 at 7:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best bass heavy headphones Last post on 9/6/12 at 5:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Pro 900, 750, or the HFI 780? Last post on 7/9/12 at 7:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This review was copy pasted from the Sound Blaster X7 thread with minor edits to make it appeal to broader audience. Intro First of all, I would really like to thank Andrew Sparks, the man...
I first used these as monitoring headphones for recording. They quickly moved out of my home studio and now I use them everywhere. I have one pair at home and one pair at work. I also take them...
The Good: Price/Quality ratio; Comfort; Bass quality/quantity; Musicality; Imaging. The Bad: Requires a powerful amplifier. Tonal Balance: V-Shaped Style: Circumaural semi-open. Cost: $250 at...
Xduoo X3 review : After two months of daily use, the Xduoo X3 give me already enough pleasure to make me want to share my enthusiast impressions about him to headfiers around the...
Coming from Sennheiser HD-600, 580s, Ety ER-4s, Fiio X1s, AKG 701s, Momentum 2.0s, etc. I didn't know exactly what to expect out of this headphones. They are, after all, Sonys. And Sony can build...
Ultrasone Pro 750 Sound Leakagepost #1 of 156/27/10 at 2:02pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 156/27/10 at 5:34pm
Hi, the pro 750s are big headphones man, i wouldnt wear them in public..but if that is okay with you then more power to ya!
I would suggest other sets though, i mean if you really are in a dead silent library people around you will hear your music clear as a bell, you need something smaller and less powerful for that. Can I ask if quality in music is your main focus, or noise suppression and leakage?post #3 of 156/27/10 at 5:46pm
I happen to have a pair with me right now. I'll check and see how much leakage I get. Be right back.
Okay so I tried these out and they do leak fairly badly at higher volumes (above 10 o'clock the uDac is a bit too much) but if you're listening at lower volumes this problem goes away for the most part but you get the opposite problem, the isolation is not sufficient. I'd probably look elsewhere if you want some studying cans. If I remember correctly the 780s have a tighter clamping force and better isolation but I can't tell you how significant the difference is.
Edited by NapalmK - 6/27/10 at 5:57pmpost #4 of 156/27/10 at 6:18pmThread Starter
Thanks guys. I'm looking for sound quality first, but if they leak then it pretty much negates it because I'll only use them when I won't be able to use my RS1s. Isolation isn't very important to me, because I'll be using them for the most part in quiet places, but leakage is because the last thing I want is to bother people who are working. I felt like they were just the sound I was looking for, and are relatively portable (Iwon't be walking around with them on or anything like that). I was looking at Shure 840s and Ultrasone 780s too, but I read bad things about the 780 sound and while I didn't read bad things about the 840 sound, it seems to be generally agreed upon that the Pro 750s are better.post #5 of 156/27/10 at 6:26pm
I agree with that. I found the 780s to be a good can but the 750s are definitely better in pretty much everything. IMO the 780s were like unrefined 750s with many more rough edges, not bad but could be better. I've also tried the 840s but their fit wasn't to my liking and I wasn't really looking for the more neutral sound sig at the time.post #6 of 156/27/10 at 8:09pm
The 780s just need a lot of work to sound their best. Recable, removing the diode board, cup dampening, burn in, etc. For me, it was worth it because I didn't want to spend $300+ on a new pair of 750s when I could get the 780s for ~$160 new. I'm more than satisfied with mine now, but it did take modding + a decent amp for me to be happy with them. As for isolation, sound doesn't really leak out, but I can hear a lot of outside noise.post #7 of 156/27/10 at 8:21pmThread Starter
I found the Pro 750s for $200 on the FS forums though, which is pretty hard to pass up. Can any headphone provide that sound, at that price, with good isolation? I might just take the leap for the 750s and hope people near me enjoy my music as much as I do.post #8 of 156/27/10 at 9:12pm
There's also a Pro 650 in the FS forum for $120 I believe. It's a great deal for those cans. At the moment, I slightly prefer them to the 750s as they have a better controlled bass and a bit smaller soundstage. Of course my Pro 650s aren't fully burned in yet while my 750s are. Depends though. What type of music are you going to be listening to?post #9 of 156/27/10 at 10:11pmThread Starter
Honestly a bit of everything. Anything from classical, to rock, to folk, to rap, to techno. I try not to discriminate. You really prefer the 650s to the 750s? I assume the sound leaking is similar?post #10 of 156/27/10 at 10:27pm
So far I do like my 650s more than the 750s. There are a couple of things the 750s do better but I'm looking more for what the 650s offer atm. The 750s are a bit more neutral and have better soundstaging, details, imaging and I feel would do better with classical, folk, jazz, etc while the 650s have a bit more energy and bass control for rock, rap, and techno. The 750s would probably be the best bet for an all arounder but I don't feel it's by much. My initial impressions of the two are here. Keep in mind that they are still changing though. Some of the values I've given have changed but I haven't had the time to update them yet.
As far as I can tell the sound leaking is similar.
Edited by NapalmK - 6/27/10 at 10:28pmpost #11 of 156/27/10 at 11:27pmThread Starter
Hmm...650s for $120 or 750s for $200. That's tough, but I think the comfort aspect you talked about in your review might be worth the extra bucks. The leakage could be a problem, but if it's too bad I can just sell them and get something like the Shure 840s which I know don't leak.post #12 of 156/28/10 at 1:21ampost #13 of 156/28/10 at 5:51amThread StarterQuote:
VERY interesting...I'll look into that. As of right now I'm looking at a bunch of closed cans (Ultrasones, Shure 840, Senn HD 25-1, Beyer...kinda, and now these suckers you just recommended, and even some IEMs, although I don't think they're right for me comfort wise). All and all it seems like their are alot of good options. Chances are I'll just bite on the Pro 750s for $200 and see how that goes.post #14 of 156/28/10 at 3:55pmThread Starter
- Ultrasone Pro 750 Sound Leakage
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 26 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 28 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 17th, 2016) 45 seconds ago
- › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread 50 seconds ago
- › ifI iCan Pro - Upcoming Dedicated headphone amp release. 2 minutes ago
- › this sound like bad cable or am i doing something wrong? 3 minutes ago
- › Join in the first meeting ever of FiiO in US!! 4 minutes ago
- › "Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation &... 5 minutes ago
- › Best sub-30$ CHINESE brands EARPHONES thread- Hidden Gems, Personal... 5 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 6 minutes ago
- › Sparkos Labs SS3601 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by selfdude
- › Cascadia Audio Talos by keanex
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by fjhuerta
- › Cleer BT Bluetooth Wireless Headphone by moedawg140
- › ZhiYin Z2016 by crabdog
- › InEar StageDiver SD-4 (Small) by twister6
- › Stax SR-202 by snapacap
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by Deftone
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...