Does anyone have anyone recommmendations?
- brandAyre Acousticstagged by System, 7/8/10
- productAyre Acoustics QB-9tagged by System, 7/8/10
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 6/26/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/7/10
- productRay Samuels Emmeline XP-7 Headphone Amptagged by System, 6/30/10
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 6/26/10
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 6/26/10
Related Forum Threads
- Building my first Headphone Set UP Last post on 8/26/10 at 8:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- $400 amp for Sennheiser HD 800? Last post on 9/10/10 at 5:53pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD800 + ??? Last post on 10/24/10 at 9:01am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Manley Stingray as Headphone Amp? Last post on 8/31/12 at 8:51am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Apex Peak/Volcano vs. Zana Deux Last post on 6/25/12 at 1:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I want to thank the MezeTeam over at Head Fi for allowing me the chance to review the 99 Classics as part of their Tour. You can purchase the 99 Classics in three colors right from their...
Disclaimer: I received this earphone for free from the manufacturers. I did my best not to let that color my opinion on the product, but my impressions may not be entirely without bias. Shozy...
Introduction: The Effect Audio is a Singapore brand that is known by some famous aftermarket cables. They offer Ares and Thor series headphone/IEM cables as well as Piccolino Ultimate and Eros...
Here is my review for the Brainwavz BLU-200 Bluetooth earphones. I must say that I really like and respect the Brainwavz brand and that they deserve attention with their high quality/budget...
Hello Fellow Headfiers, I own this DAC for atleast 7 months now and so I thought I would make a review cuz I'm planning to sell this :) (which I'll tell you why at the end of this review). I...
sennheiser hd800 amp in the $500-$1000 rangepost #1 of 286/25/10 at 6:24pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 286/25/10 at 6:34pm
Depends how good your source is, but I'm in the process of writing a review of the XP-7 from Ray Samuels Audio and I couldn't see who would be disappointed with its performance. It simply does everything so right. You might also consider the bigger brother HR-2. Outside of the RSA line up I would recommend the Headroom Desktop model. Also the Amphora from ALO would be high on my list if I were building a set-up around the 800s.post #3 of 286/25/10 at 8:07pm
If your laptop is the source, I would highly, HIGHLY recommend you get something like the NuForce uDAC as a DAC. This can be bought for $100.00 and make a mighty fine digital to analog converter, far better than you laptop alone. I would suggest a Kimber USB cable to use as your digital cable, Kimber analog interconnects, (RCAs, say the PBJ model) both of which combined could be had for $200.00 together, and then say the RSA XP-7 for $500.00, (which does not include the power supply, but instead uses internal 9V batteries). This puts you at $800.00 plus shipping. And for the money spent, almost impossible to beat. If you did all of that, just make sure your music on your laptop is ripped at CD quality and your good to go.
Kevinpost #4 of 286/25/10 at 8:49pmLook at the good solid state amps, like the Gilmore Lite, M^3, Dynalo, and EC/SS. The budget tube amps are usually too compromised to deliver quality sound, but solid state is less expensive than tubes to do well. The only exception is if you want to roll your own tube amp - you can do quite well for about $1,000.post #5 of 286/25/10 at 10:14pmpost #6 of 286/26/10 at 6:34ampost #7 of 286/26/10 at 9:42am
Don't overlook the Matrix M-stage. This is a high quality clone of Senheissers HD800 demonstrator amp, the Lehmann Black Cube Linear that retails for around the 1k mark. The Matrix is 300 dollars.post #8 of 286/26/10 at 11:19ampost #9 of 286/26/10 at 12:46pmpost #10 of 286/27/10 at 2:01pm
If you're looking for a budget tube amp for your HD800's , I don't think you'll do any better than the Bottlehead Crack amp w/Speedball upgrade. It's sold as a kit (about as easy as it gets too) for $319 (219 for the basic, plus 99 for the upgrade) but they'll build one for you for $150.
I listened to ASR's HD800's on one at CanJam and the only other amps I really thought made them sing that well was the EC Balancing Act, the Pinnacle and nikongod's Silver Ghost (in other words, for at least another $3k+).
Check out the thread going.post #11 of 286/28/10 at 8:04pmpost #12 of 286/29/10 at 7:45pm
Throwing out another suggestion: Little Dot MKVI+ or MKVIII SE. Both in the price range and more than capable. I've owned my MKVI for a year and a half and can't imagine ever parting with it. The MKVI+ is actually the more powerful of the 2 amps, but the MKVIII SE is supposed to be more refined and tuned specifically for the HD800. In addition these 2 amps can easily power a set of K1000 should you ever decide to try them.
I've listened to some pricey amps and found my MKVI to hold it's own and then some. I've gotten lots of compliments at the meets I've been to about it's massive output and dynamic ability.
edit: Note: These are balanced amplifiers and will require a balanced connection meaning a different cable. I believe Sennheiser has made a 2 x 3pin XLR cable for these headphones you can purchase separately for not much money, but I'd recommend having a DIY or sponsor cable company craft one for not too much more money. I'm not a believer in better cables equaling better sound, but I do appreciate well made items, made to the specific dimensions and using the specific materials I choose. If I had to suggest a cable manufacturer I would not hesitate to recommend Alex at APureSound (.com) who I've met a couple times and his work is top professional quality. I use one of his cables for my HD600 with 4 pin XLR.
Edited by Maxvla - 6/29/10 at 8:05pmpost #13 of 286/29/10 at 7:51pmpost #14 of 287/5/10 at 7:32amThread Starterpost #15 of 287/5/10 at 7:43am
- sennheiser hd800 amp in the $500-$1000 range
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG 26 seconds ago
- › "Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation &... 41 seconds ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 53 seconds ago
- › Shozy Zero: $50 IEMs with real rosewood, taking on the $500 big boys! 1 minute ago
- › BNIB HD650, Schiit Asgard, Emerald Physics Dac1 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › NEW: Tralucent Audio Plus5 BA IEM 2 minutes ago
- › The Opamp thread 4 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 6 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 7 minutes ago
- › Meze 99 Classics by Mshenay
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by C.C.S.
- › Effect Audio Leonidas by MikePortnoy
- › Brainwavz BLU-200 by DynamikeB
- › Marantz HD- DAC1High Definition USB DAC / Headphone Amp by Gamergtx260
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by flinkenick
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by getclikinagas
- › Yulong U100 by Spork67
- › Schiit Audio Bifrost DAC by bosiemoncrieff
- › AudioMinor Headphone Cables by flinkenick
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...