Does anyone have anyone recommmendations?
- brandAyre Acousticstagged by System, 7/8/10
- productAyre Acoustics QB-9tagged by System, 7/8/10
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 6/26/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/7/10
- productRay Samuels Emmeline XP-7 Headphone Amptagged by System, 6/30/10
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 6/26/10
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 6/26/10
Related Forum Threads
- Building my first Headphone Set UP Last post on 8/26/10 at 8:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- $400 amp for Sennheiser HD 800? Last post on 9/10/10 at 5:53pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD800 + ??? Last post on 10/24/10 at 9:01am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Manley Stingray as Headphone Amp? Last post on 8/31/12 at 8:51am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Apex Peak/Volcano vs. Zana Deux Last post on 6/25/12 at 1:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
It’s been a year since I started writing/filming reviews, and it all began with the ZMF Vibro Mk. I in cornflower blue. I found the sound very fun, found the bass ports interesting and thought they...
Accutone Pisces HD Review: Everything The Pisces Should Have Been This is another entry into my Accutone IEM marathon. For those of you who aren’t familiar with Accutone, they are a Chinese...
Beyerdynamic DT 480 - 25 ohm(with some mods) This is a review of the Beyerdynamic DT 480, I believe the only other headphone that shares a driver with the DT 48, the original dynamic headphone....
A funny thing had happened the last time I visited Schiit Audio's offices and factory/warehouse. When we entered, what had previously been a storage or dumping room -- I don't remember, had become...
The product was provided to me free of charge for the review purpose in exchange for my honest opinion. The review was originally posted on my blog, and now I would like to share it with all my...
sennheiser hd800 amp in the $500-$1000 rangepost #1 of 286/25/10 at 6:24pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 286/25/10 at 6:34pm
Depends how good your source is, but I'm in the process of writing a review of the XP-7 from Ray Samuels Audio and I couldn't see who would be disappointed with its performance. It simply does everything so right. You might also consider the bigger brother HR-2. Outside of the RSA line up I would recommend the Headroom Desktop model. Also the Amphora from ALO would be high on my list if I were building a set-up around the 800s.post #3 of 286/25/10 at 8:07pm
If your laptop is the source, I would highly, HIGHLY recommend you get something like the NuForce uDAC as a DAC. This can be bought for $100.00 and make a mighty fine digital to analog converter, far better than you laptop alone. I would suggest a Kimber USB cable to use as your digital cable, Kimber analog interconnects, (RCAs, say the PBJ model) both of which combined could be had for $200.00 together, and then say the RSA XP-7 for $500.00, (which does not include the power supply, but instead uses internal 9V batteries). This puts you at $800.00 plus shipping. And for the money spent, almost impossible to beat. If you did all of that, just make sure your music on your laptop is ripped at CD quality and your good to go.
Kevinpost #4 of 286/25/10 at 8:49pmLook at the good solid state amps, like the Gilmore Lite, M^3, Dynalo, and EC/SS. The budget tube amps are usually too compromised to deliver quality sound, but solid state is less expensive than tubes to do well. The only exception is if you want to roll your own tube amp - you can do quite well for about $1,000.post #5 of 286/25/10 at 10:14pmpost #6 of 286/26/10 at 6:34ampost #7 of 286/26/10 at 9:42am
Don't overlook the Matrix M-stage. This is a high quality clone of Senheissers HD800 demonstrator amp, the Lehmann Black Cube Linear that retails for around the 1k mark. The Matrix is 300 dollars.post #8 of 286/26/10 at 11:19ampost #9 of 286/26/10 at 12:46pmpost #10 of 286/27/10 at 2:01pm
If you're looking for a budget tube amp for your HD800's , I don't think you'll do any better than the Bottlehead Crack amp w/Speedball upgrade. It's sold as a kit (about as easy as it gets too) for $319 (219 for the basic, plus 99 for the upgrade) but they'll build one for you for $150.
I listened to ASR's HD800's on one at CanJam and the only other amps I really thought made them sing that well was the EC Balancing Act, the Pinnacle and nikongod's Silver Ghost (in other words, for at least another $3k+).
Check out the thread going.post #11 of 286/28/10 at 8:04pmpost #12 of 286/29/10 at 7:45pm
Throwing out another suggestion: Little Dot MKVI+ or MKVIII SE. Both in the price range and more than capable. I've owned my MKVI for a year and a half and can't imagine ever parting with it. The MKVI+ is actually the more powerful of the 2 amps, but the MKVIII SE is supposed to be more refined and tuned specifically for the HD800. In addition these 2 amps can easily power a set of K1000 should you ever decide to try them.
I've listened to some pricey amps and found my MKVI to hold it's own and then some. I've gotten lots of compliments at the meets I've been to about it's massive output and dynamic ability.
edit: Note: These are balanced amplifiers and will require a balanced connection meaning a different cable. I believe Sennheiser has made a 2 x 3pin XLR cable for these headphones you can purchase separately for not much money, but I'd recommend having a DIY or sponsor cable company craft one for not too much more money. I'm not a believer in better cables equaling better sound, but I do appreciate well made items, made to the specific dimensions and using the specific materials I choose. If I had to suggest a cable manufacturer I would not hesitate to recommend Alex at APureSound (.com) who I've met a couple times and his work is top professional quality. I use one of his cables for my HD600 with 4 pin XLR.
Edited by Maxvla - 6/29/10 at 8:05pmpost #13 of 286/29/10 at 7:51pmpost #14 of 287/5/10 at 7:32amThread Starterpost #15 of 287/5/10 at 7:43am
- sennheiser hd800 amp in the $500-$1000 range
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011) 2 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 3 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 4 minutes ago
- › Upgrading from audiotechnika ath m50x 4 minutes ago
- › How do we hear height in a recording with earphones 5 minutes ago
- › Official 2016 SF Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread - July 16, 2016 6 minutes ago
- › Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions 6 minutes ago
- › Magaosi K3 PRO impressions and discussions thread. 7 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 7 minutes ago
- › Smyth Research Realiser A16 8 minutes ago
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Aornic
- › Accutone Pisces HD by Cinder
- › Beyerdynamic DT 480 by kman1211
- › Schiit Audio Yggdrasil by Currawong
- › oBravo ERIB-1C 2way planar magnetic hybrid by twister6
- › Astell & Kern AK Jr. Hi-Res Music Player 64GB by SkumBucket
- › BENJIE K9 8G APE/FLAC/WAV High Sound Quality Entry-level Lossless... by Peddler
- › Darkvoice 336SE by SOULSIK
- › Fiio F1 Dynamic In-ear Monitors by B9Scrambler
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by OSiRiSsk
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear