Does anyone have anyone recommmendations?
- brandAyre Acousticstagged by System, 7/8/10
- productAyre Acoustics QB-9tagged by System, 7/8/10
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 6/26/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/7/10
- productRay Samuels Emmeline XP-7 Headphone Amptagged by System, 6/30/10
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 6/26/10
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 6/26/10
Related Forum Threads
- Building my first Headphone Set UP Last post on 8/26/10 at 8:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- $400 amp for Sennheiser HD 800? Last post on 9/10/10 at 5:53pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD800 + ??? Last post on 10/24/10 at 9:01am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Manley Stingray as Headphone Amp? Last post on 8/31/12 at 8:51am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Apex Peak/Volcano vs. Zana Deux Last post on 6/25/12 at 1:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
This is by far the closest I have come to writing a 5 star review. Of course to get that, I would have to find the holy grail of headphones for me. I had tried the HD558, HD598, HD650, and...
Used Schiit Modi & Magni with car sim racing game with Sennheiser HD 598 headphones. Unfortunately, Modi died after 2+ years. Thought warranty was 5 years but found out the hard way it's only 2...
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
Acknowledgment Thanks, @Andykong at Cayin, and @Takeanidea for organizing the UK wing of the worldwide extravaganza of i5 tour. It is always an honour to work with great companies and dear...
Introductory word They say that once you go black.... yeah. This is quite self-explanatory. And behold, black iFi Audio product emerged. I can only say - finally. Cheers to 'em English folks....
sennheiser hd800 amp in the $500-$1000 rangepost #1 of 286/25/10 at 6:24pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 286/25/10 at 6:34pm
Depends how good your source is, but I'm in the process of writing a review of the XP-7 from Ray Samuels Audio and I couldn't see who would be disappointed with its performance. It simply does everything so right. You might also consider the bigger brother HR-2. Outside of the RSA line up I would recommend the Headroom Desktop model. Also the Amphora from ALO would be high on my list if I were building a set-up around the 800s.post #3 of 286/25/10 at 8:07pm
If your laptop is the source, I would highly, HIGHLY recommend you get something like the NuForce uDAC as a DAC. This can be bought for $100.00 and make a mighty fine digital to analog converter, far better than you laptop alone. I would suggest a Kimber USB cable to use as your digital cable, Kimber analog interconnects, (RCAs, say the PBJ model) both of which combined could be had for $200.00 together, and then say the RSA XP-7 for $500.00, (which does not include the power supply, but instead uses internal 9V batteries). This puts you at $800.00 plus shipping. And for the money spent, almost impossible to beat. If you did all of that, just make sure your music on your laptop is ripped at CD quality and your good to go.
Kevinpost #4 of 286/25/10 at 8:49pmLook at the good solid state amps, like the Gilmore Lite, M^3, Dynalo, and EC/SS. The budget tube amps are usually too compromised to deliver quality sound, but solid state is less expensive than tubes to do well. The only exception is if you want to roll your own tube amp - you can do quite well for about $1,000.post #5 of 286/25/10 at 10:14pmpost #6 of 286/26/10 at 6:34ampost #7 of 286/26/10 at 9:42am
Don't overlook the Matrix M-stage. This is a high quality clone of Senheissers HD800 demonstrator amp, the Lehmann Black Cube Linear that retails for around the 1k mark. The Matrix is 300 dollars.post #8 of 286/26/10 at 11:19ampost #9 of 286/26/10 at 12:46pmpost #10 of 286/27/10 at 2:01pm
If you're looking for a budget tube amp for your HD800's , I don't think you'll do any better than the Bottlehead Crack amp w/Speedball upgrade. It's sold as a kit (about as easy as it gets too) for $319 (219 for the basic, plus 99 for the upgrade) but they'll build one for you for $150.
I listened to ASR's HD800's on one at CanJam and the only other amps I really thought made them sing that well was the EC Balancing Act, the Pinnacle and nikongod's Silver Ghost (in other words, for at least another $3k+).
Check out the thread going.post #11 of 286/28/10 at 8:04pmpost #12 of 286/29/10 at 7:45pm
Throwing out another suggestion: Little Dot MKVI+ or MKVIII SE. Both in the price range and more than capable. I've owned my MKVI for a year and a half and can't imagine ever parting with it. The MKVI+ is actually the more powerful of the 2 amps, but the MKVIII SE is supposed to be more refined and tuned specifically for the HD800. In addition these 2 amps can easily power a set of K1000 should you ever decide to try them.
I've listened to some pricey amps and found my MKVI to hold it's own and then some. I've gotten lots of compliments at the meets I've been to about it's massive output and dynamic ability.
edit: Note: These are balanced amplifiers and will require a balanced connection meaning a different cable. I believe Sennheiser has made a 2 x 3pin XLR cable for these headphones you can purchase separately for not much money, but I'd recommend having a DIY or sponsor cable company craft one for not too much more money. I'm not a believer in better cables equaling better sound, but I do appreciate well made items, made to the specific dimensions and using the specific materials I choose. If I had to suggest a cable manufacturer I would not hesitate to recommend Alex at APureSound (.com) who I've met a couple times and his work is top professional quality. I use one of his cables for my HD600 with 4 pin XLR.
Edited by Maxvla - 6/29/10 at 8:05pmpost #13 of 286/29/10 at 7:51pmpost #14 of 287/5/10 at 7:32amThread Starterpost #15 of 287/5/10 at 7:43am
- sennheiser hd800 amp in the $500-$1000 range
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 40 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 1 minute ago
- › iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression 1 minute ago
- › Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII 1 minute ago
- › iBasso PB3 Mockingbird Portable Balanced Headphone Amplifier 2 minutes ago
- › *Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread* 3 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 3 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing... 3 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Schiit Modi by Tim Updegrove
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear