Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › iBasso Boomslang DB-1 & DB-2 and Toucan balanced portable dac and amp . pg 1, 19 , 25, 26 . . . .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iBasso Boomslang DB-1 & DB-2 and Toucan balanced portable dac and amp . pg 1, 19 , 25, 26 . . . . - Page 2

post #16 of 612

subscribed

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #17 of 612

Very interesting. I hope that they put flush jacks on the amp that will accept the Viablue 3.5mm connector. (MrProggie, since it accepts single ended in, there should not be an issue using with iPods.)

 

The balanced HP connector looks good.


Edited by cooperpwc - 7/4/10 at 9:51pm
post #18 of 612
Thread Starter 

It looks like release will be around the 8th of July. 

post #19 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post




The D4 is a DAC & amp combo in one unit. These two are separate units, an amp and a DAC.


Ohhh, so will each part be $229? That makes it more in line with the RSA Protector price, which would make sense...ah well, I suppose I'm back to looking for the D4...

post #20 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by usf09 View Post




Ohhh, so will each part be $229? That makes it more in line with the RSA Protector price, which would make sense...ah well, I suppose I'm back to looking for the D4...


Not sure if $229 is each. The Protector is also just an amp and costs much more and it doesn't have a balance input.

post #21 of 612

Jam, is the amp opamp rollable?

post #22 of 612

Subscribed.....

post #23 of 612
Thread Starter 

No rollable op amps but very fine tuned, from what I understand. 

post #24 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post




Not sure if $229 is each. The Protector is also just an amp and costs much more and it doesn't have a balance input.


Good call, it's just an amp with balanced output...I guess there's no harm in seeing what the price will be in total...

post #25 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

Very interesting. I hope that they put flush jacks on the amp that will accept the Viablue 3.5mm connector. (MrProggie, since it accepts single ended in, there should not be an issue using with iPods.)

 

The balanced HP connector looks good.


That's the lazy way. If it's possible to convert the line out signal to balanced and get a better sound it might be worth it.

post #26 of 612

It's lazy to use the built in inverter from single ended to balanced so instead you want to add an extra external splitter and inverter to go from single ended to balanced? I would think that this extra link in the chain is unlikely to provide material SQ improvements.


Edited by cooperpwc - 7/5/10 at 11:13am
post #27 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

It's lazy to use the built in inverter from single ended to balanced so instead you want to add an extra external splitter and inverter to go from single ended to balanced? I would think that this extra link in the chain is unlikely to provide material SQ improvements.


Perhaps, but I am sure someone will give it a try. DAPs with built in balanced out is probably still years away.

post #28 of 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProggie View Post




Perhaps, but I am sure someone will give it a try. DAPs with built in balanced out is probably still years away.


Build it and they'll come. Much sooner than you may think, especially around these parts.

post #29 of 612
Thread Starter 

Hard to say. I am not sure how demand there really is. The price would be high unless there was a real demand and that I am not so sure of in this niche market. I like my iRiver with the optical out with lossless or WAV to a balanced dac to a balanced amp. Or even a good balanced amp, as I have done this with my home system where I could have all balanced from source on and I found my balanced pre and amp did an excellent job. 

post #30 of 612

Making a DAP with balanced out sounds like a job for HIFIMAN. If there are any audiophile manufacturers capable of doing this it must be them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › iBasso Boomslang DB-1 & DB-2 and Toucan balanced portable dac and amp . pg 1, 19 , 25, 26 . . . .