Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Earsonics EM3Pro Impressions and Review thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Earsonics EM3Pro Impressions and Review thread - Page 6

post #76 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post

Build quality of SM3 is questionable. However I think that the build quality of EM3Pro, or any other custom IEMs, should be better than SM3. If I am not mistaken, the shell of EM3Pro is made from hard acrylic with silicone filled inside the shell, protecting the drivers and increase isolation as well.


The EM3pro build quality is superior than the JH's. They feel more solid (as they are solid), the fit was perfect on the first time and the acrylic cast looked better; plus the cable connection is recessed.

post #77 of 191

Thanks for the replies! It's good to know that the EM3Pro build quality is better than the SM3 as I just read in the SM3 post that Bennyboy broke his SM3's too (I wonder if he got his replacement yet). Now if only the American distributor Soundearphones.com will start to carry the EM3Pro, 

 

I haven't seen any complaints re microphonics so I don't assume there are any problems with that issue.

post #78 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post

Build quality of SM3 is questionable. However I think that the build quality of EM3Pro, or any other custom IEMs, should be better than SM3. If I am not mistaken, the shell of EM3Pro is made from hard acrylic with silicone filled inside the shell, protecting the drivers and increase isolation as well.

 

Not criticizing your post or anything, but I have read somewhere in the JH16 thread that someone asked Jerry Harvey before about putting silicone in JH earphones and according to him, they don't do it because of some acoustic reasons.

post #79 of 191

 

Sorry I am not sure if the shell is filled with silicone or acrylic...anomalouscode you don't want to be a bad boy :)

 

 

     Quote:

Originally Posted by koonhua90 View Post

 

Not criticizing your post or anything, but I have read somewhere in the JH16 thread that someone asked Jerry Harvey before about putting silicone in JH earphones and according to him, they don't do it because of some acoustic reasons.

 

I have nothing for you to critisize, because I am not the one making them

 

I remember reading similar things about filling silicone into the shell. Different company different policy? However I think the filled up shell would be much heavier though...Which might be a cause of discomfort for long time listening.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyDebord View Post


The EM3pro build quality is superior than the JH's. They feel more solid (as they are solid), the fit was perfect on the first time and the acrylic cast looked better; plus the cable connection is recessed.


That's good thing :)
 

post #80 of 191

^^^ lol, well my lifestyle is not that rough, as i'm too lazy to be skateboarding or anything silly like that. 

 

and yeah there are pros and cons to filling and not filling,... look at it like a different recipe from a different chef.

 

got my impressions done the other day, and if it werent for the damn holiday today the money would have been going too. 

 

i can safely say, that i have now satisfied my headphone lust,... even before hearing them as i've  decided to stick with these for a good long while,.... especially since i have other stuff i want to buy,....

 

i'm pretty sure drugs and hookers never cost me this much when i was younger 

post #81 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbre View Post

Now if only the American distributor Soundearphones.com will start to carry the EM3Pro, 

 


They won't, I already checked. 

post #82 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomalouscode View Post
i'm pretty sure drugs and hookers never cost me this much when i was younger 


Haha for the price of one of these bad boys, you could have been a small time pimp!

post #83 of 191

alas,... i could have been!

 

oh well, i am now some 700 euros poorer, and have a couple of weeks of using crappy iems to bear with,....

 

700 euros could have gotten me a nice couple of weeks with a $20 hooker and some bad drugs,... this audio habit sucks.

 

but atleast I should make some good money off of it all.

 

post #84 of 191

Nope, still waiting on them - Handheld Audio had to send them off to Earsonics, who will then send the new pair directly to me, as far as I can tell. Apparently lead time is up to 14 days, so we shall see. 

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbre View Post

Thanks for the replies! It's good to know that the EM3Pro build quality is better than the SM3 as I just read in the SM3 post that Bennyboy broke his SM3's too (I wonder if he got his replacement yet). Now if only the American distributor Soundearphones.com will start to carry the EM3Pro, 

 

I haven't seen any complaints re microphonics so I don't assume there are any problems with that issue.

post #85 of 191

just heard from the Franck and crew,... mine are shipping out today 

post #86 of 191

just missed the UPS guy #@%$@%$#%@%#!!!

 

post #87 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomalouscode View Post

just missed the UPS guy #@%$@%$#%@%#!!!

 


i know that feeling well

post #88 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomalouscode View Post

just missed the UPS guy #@%$@%$#%@%#!!!

 


Frustration at its best...

post #89 of 191

lol indeed!

 

but i gotta say, the wait has been worth it.

 

I finally got my hands on them today, so after a good 4 hours with them here are my first impressions:

 

- the fit is perfect, which is a great relief since my impressions werent silicone but rather the 2 part paste thing. which reminds me, since i got that done free i really ought to send the audiologist a gift, cos the fit turned out perfect.

 

- these are my first customs, it takes maybe 10 minutes of getting used to them, and then they kind of melt away. i dont know how else to describe it. you forget about them until you do something like jerk your head around real fast for some reason,... and even then, they dont pop out but you're just gently reminded about them.

--- as a side note, i like blowing my smoke out to the side, like extreme side and the customs jiggle the tiniest bit, but they settle quickly when my jaw returns to normal.

--- no microphonics at all, and there's a little metal wire in the cable bit to mold round your ear which i quite like. they do really cut out ambient noise and my first few steps had me a bit wobbly cos i could hear my footsteps. i quickly over came that by focusing on the transmission of vibrations for my tactile feedback while walking.

 

- the same yucky initial sound that you first hear from the sm3's was there too, but it seems to be rectifying itself quicker than the sm3's did. perhaps thats one of the benefits of the custom fit. over the course of Roots Manuva's several albums i could hear his voice get clearer and clearer as time went on,... every 10 songs or so i would realise that his vocals have developed more definition than when i started.(randomly played so not just the difference between one album to the next)

 

- eq-wise,... similar to the sm3's,... you can hear that they belong to the same family, or atleast were designed/made by the same man. so if you know what the sm3's sound like, you'll have no surprises with the em3,.... so just like the sm3's that blossomed and opened up on the bass and treble region about a week later,... i'm gonna give the em3's the same amount of time to do the same. but yeah same Lopez sound.

 

- the rendering of space, just as good as the sm3's and since they're still burning in i think they're going to get better, so i'll hold off on discussing this too much. i remember with the sm3's i didnt notice the space rendering until 2 weeks in or so. 

 

- compared to the sm3's from memory,... so far these are just more,.... a chunky kitkat to a regular kitkat, a supersized meal with large fries and large coke as opposed to regular, a first class seat as opposed to business class, a lexus SUV to a regular toyota suv,...... i think you get the point by now.

 

which makes sense,... i mean the em3's have been around longer than the sm3's, so perhaps instead of looking at the em3's as a better sm3, perhaps the more accurate perspective would be to view the sm3's as a budget em3pro designed to be mass produced. not that there's anything wrong with that, i would have been quite happy with my sm3's had circumstances been different.

 

I am so happy with these that if they blossom the same way the sm3's did, i'll probably never have to come back to head-fi,... until i break them. and if i did, i'd probably just give franck a call again and go with whatever happens to be his flagships at the time. so thank you everyone that has commented on their em3pros and of course the sm3's which were my gateway iems.

 

anyway, more listening burning in to do,... and i'm excited about recording/mixing with customs for the first time.

 

cheers.

post #90 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomalouscode View Post

lol indeed!

 

but i gotta say, the wait has been worth it...

 

Thanks for the impressions.  I finally had a good, quite, alert listening session this last Friday as my wife had a girls night out and I was re-impressed with the EM3 Pro.  I forgot how good they really sound when I am not tired and focused on my music.  I have to find more of that quality listening time...

 

In the SM3 thread, I was asked how much better these are than the SM3, in a percentage.   My overall % was estimated to be 35% better (and how much that is worth in terms of $ is another question).  I am curious as to what other owners of both (or SM2s) think.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Earsonics EM3Pro Impressions and Review thread