Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Earsonics EM3Pro Impressions and Review thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Earsonics EM3Pro Impressions and Review thread - Page 4

post #46 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post



 


no offense, but you are most definitely wrong. The gains that the 3A's give are in total phase alignment. The entire real soundstage of a recording is in the phase. This is not just equalization being done in the DSP. though i guess you can keep telling yourself that its just equalization. but what i learned at canjam, is that FR of any given headphone doesnt really matter to me, i can listen to bass lite, treble rolloff, any of it, doesnt change my appreciation of a headphone. What does matter to me is technical ability, which the 13's, the 3A's and the LCD-2's have in spades. i realized this when i told people that the LCD-2 reminded me of the 13's and they looked at me like i was crazy because the FR's of them both are different.

 

And i know that people argue that the amps inside the box, or the dacs inside the box arent as good as they could be. And you would be right, they could probably get much better. but that doesnt change the fact that that little box is already better than anything else ive heard. anomolouscode, you're correct, it really isnt even another league, its nuts is what it is.

 

anyways, enough derailing of this thread  back to the em3pro talk

 

Also no offense, but I doubt you understand the gimcrackery of what "total phase alignment" means inside the minuscule space of the ear canal and with non-vented balanced armature transducers.

 

----------------------------

 

 

Anyway, back to the EM3pro. For those of you that were wondering about the solid acrylic built of them, they can be re-molded but only by EarSonics and it shouldnt be that expensive, of course, a bit more than fisher and all the others.....
 


Edited by GuyDebord - 7/15/10 at 3:57am
post #47 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyDebord View Post



 

Also no offense, but I doubt you understand the gimcrackery of what "total phase alignment" means inside the minuscule space of the ear canal and with non-vented balanced armature transducers.

 

----------------------------

 

 

Anyway, back to the EM3pro. For those of you that were wondering about the solid acrylic built of them, they can be re-molded but only by EarSonics and it shouldnt be that expensive, of course, a bit more than fisher and all the others.....
 


Just because you chose to belabor the point further i feel the need to respond again. The size of the space means little in phase misalignment. Whether the sound waves are traveling 1cm or 10 ft, if there are phase aberations they will be heard. Do you not know of the inherent phase issues in using either a single driver to reproduce the entire frequency spectrum, or the inherent phase issues in using a passive crossover? even doing what they can by tuning the sound tubes, they can never get complete phase alignment across the frequency spectrum. Specially not at the crossover points. The DSP gets rid of all of those problems, by allowing them to digitally correct for the phase problems at the output. Though they also tune the phase as well as they can with the tubes when they build the unit.

 

Its fairly obvious to me that i completely understand the "gimcrackery" that i am talking about

post #48 of 191

note to self:

 

word things more carefully.

 

i went to the one audiologist i thought would do impressions, well they're a hearing aid shop and refused to do it if i wasnt buying something from them, stupid cow was talking to me like i was deaf too. 

 

all is not lost though,... who woulda thought that in my lil town i would have found an authorized starkey dealer, you know that swedish custom and hearing aid maker, the ones with a bass button on the customs.

 

one of the great advantages to living in a nation of old people going deaf.

 

will check in with them tomorrow.

post #49 of 191

You kidding? Where are you?

 

Actually it's better to ask the audiologists first before going to their place to make sure if they are willing to just make ear impressions. I asked a few through emailling and phone, and 1 out of 5 rejected.

 

EDIT: I did a quick search and the Starkey Japan came out. It seems that they are not doing custom IEMs in Japan though. Sorry this thread is seriously derailed...


Edited by KLS - 7/15/10 at 7:59am
post #50 of 191

lol yeah way OT my apologies, will answer in pm KLS.

 

 

MOAR EM3PRO IMPRESSIONS NEEDED!

post #51 of 191

More EM3 Pro impressions...they are like the SM3 (you can read that thread) but with more dynamics, a bigger space, and better clarity.  I can only really compare them with the SM3 and Tesla T1, so I am not sure how much that will help, but they can bring all the detailed emotion of a song right to you.  They are musical in a way that the T1 is not, but the T1 does some things much better than the EM3 Pro. 

post #52 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

More EM3 Pro impressions...they are like the SM3 (you can read that thread) but with more dynamics, a bigger space, and better clarity.  I can only really compare them with the SM3 and Tesla T1, so I am not sure how much that will help, but they can bring all the detailed emotion of a song right to you.  They are musical in a way that the T1 is not, but the T1 does some things much better than the EM3 Pro. 


What are the things that the T1 does better than the Em3Pro, if you don't mind me asking?

post #53 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by koonhua90 View Post

What are the things that the T1 does better than the Em3Pro, if you don't mind me asking?


If I had to guess detail and resolution would be a few.  

post #54 of 191

The T1 has a wider presentation with improved instrument separation.  The EM3 Pro can seem more congested in comparison, although for an in-ear, it is not congested IMO.  This is most apparent with classical, but jazz and various other songs will also sound more encompassing and engaging with the T1.  However, when it comes to dynamics and bass impact, the EM3 Pro is the winner, giving me fantastic impact and dynamics which I prefer with electronic.  The EM3 Pro can really reach out wide at times, which to me is amazing for an in-ear, but is still overall smaller in presentation than the T1.  The EM3 Pro has better coherence between the channels, so overall they both offer something different. 

 

My other headphone, the SA5000 is a step down from the EM3 Pro IMO (and T1).  It can be enjoyable, but when I go from one to either of the others it's weaknesses are apparent.  Of course, there is a huge price difference.  But then, the T1 really needs a good amp to shine, the others don't.

 

This does make perfect sense to me since the T1 drivers sit outside my ears and the EM3 Pro drivers are much closer, in an enclosed space. 

 

Edit: detail and resolution are about on par, but the different presentations accentuate some details on each that the other doesn't.  For example, there is more space with the T1 and with classical, the micro-detail of the instruments is easier to make out with the T1.  With electronic, the bass notes of the EM3 Pro are more defined to me, possibly because they have additional power and speed.


Edited by average_joe - 7/15/10 at 10:33pm
post #55 of 191

Yeah I figured the EM3Pro would be the most musical and engaging of the customs.  The 3A as good as it sounds seems to scream reference monitor to me (unless you tune it w/ the box)  whereas the EM3Pro sounds like fun.  ES5 sound like the clinical king from my reading.  I could be wrong.

post #56 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

Yeah I figured the EM3Pro would be the most musical and engaging of the customs.  The 3A as good as it sounds seems to scream reference monitor to me (unless you tune it w/ the box)  whereas the EM3Pro sounds like fun.  ES5 sound like the clinical king from my reading.  I could be wrong.


How does the JH 16 sound like to you? Bass monster? 

post #57 of 191

average_joe, so you mean EM3Pro and SM3 share the same sound signature? Especially in the treble and midrange.

 

koonhua90, congrats on your JH16 purchase!


Edited by KLS - 7/16/10 at 2:29am
post #58 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post

average_joe, so you mean EM3Pro and SM3 share the same sound signature? Especially in the treble and midrange.

 

koonhua90, congrats on your JH16 purchase!


Thanks. After getting custom tips, I realize how much more comfortable it can be. Too bad the housing of the sm3 is giving me a hard time to get the perfect fit, if not I will just stick with it. I was thinking, if there is any discount on the jh line, I'd jump on it, and there it is.

post #59 of 191

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koonhua90 View Post


Thanks. After getting custom tips, I realize how much more comfortable it can be. Too bad the housing of the sm3 is giving me a hard time to get the perfect fit, if not I will just stick with it. I was thinking, if there is any discount on the jh line, I'd jump on it, and there it is.


I was thinking the same too ^^ However since I am loving the sound signature of SM3, I am leaning towards to EM3Pro. And Franck is a better man to communicate with in my opinion. I emailed to JH Audio before so I know, that sometimes I have to email them twice just to get a reply...I know they are busy with orders, which I can't blame them.

 

shigzeo is going to hate me for derailing this thread so many times...


Edited by KLS - 7/16/10 at 4:04am
post #60 of 191

would you say that like the SM3's they sound like they dont have the U-curve/ hifi/ v-curve sound?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Earsonics EM3Pro Impressions and Review thread