Recent Images In This Thread
- brandDIYtagged by joe, 9/19/14
Related Forum Threads
- The Soekris R-2R DAC: Technical Details Last post on 1/5/17 at 1:50pm in Dedicated Source Components
- "Double Barrel" Fully machined aluminum closed back headphones Last post on 2/23/15 at 9:47am in DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
- CUSTOM DIY NOISE CANCELING HEADPHONES BETTER THAN BOSE QC15. For 30 Bucks! Last post on 8/13/12 at 11:32am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- FS: Millett Hybrid MiniMax Last post on 10/29/11 at 3:04pm in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- I think I blew out my Left channel on my GILMORE LITE Last post on 11/30/10 at 4:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 3/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- List Of Diy Headphone AmpsLast edited: 11/22/12
There are a few brands that could be considered a powerhouse in the world of audio and headphones and beyerdynamic is without a doubt one of them. beyerdynamic has been family owned since...
REVIEWER INTRODUCTION First of all, I want to introduce my gear while writing this review. I'm using my AKG K612 PRO headphone with my Fiio X3 2nd Gen dedicated DAP. Currently I don't own any...
Preamble Whilst I have been an audio enthusiast for many years now, I must admit I have never really been all that interested in using any kind of esoteric cables with my systems. I have always...
Preamble: It is finally happening – Brainwavz Audio is making in-ears with Balanced Armature drivers again. After they were introduced to the public few months ago, the two single-BA...
The Lyra, released back in 2014-15 was refreshed along with Campfire Audio's dynamic and hybrid lineup as the Lyra II, and is a personal single dynamic driver favourite. We would like to thank...
My DIY electrostatic headphones - Page 3post #31 of 24816/27/10 at 10:05amThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #32 of 24816/27/10 at 12:54pm
I like those but the holes are a bit too big IMO. Also have you ever played around with unopened spaces on the stators to provide some damping for the diaphragm?post #33 of 24816/27/10 at 9:34pmThread Starter
Thanks a lot for your feedback. I really appreciate it. The pictures shown are not to the scale. I holes will be 2 mm, and the stators and spacers will be 65 mm in diameter. I intend to make them smaller to try and see how much difference in sounding they will make compared to my existing ones. Do you think that they will be too small?
I used to play with a few materials for damping the back stator, but I like it better without any damping. Do you have any suggestion?
Wachara C.post #34 of 24816/28/10 at 7:24am
65mm could be perfect in a good housing and with a properly sealed baffle.
The size of the holes really depends on your D/S gap and really shouldn't be any larger then double the D/S gap. For Stax that means 1mm or so given their 0.5mm D/S gap.
I for one don't like to damp much but I've gone to extreme lengths to dampen some drivers which just won't behave. That said, airdamping is IMO a very good idea as it it traps air next to the diaphragm and can stabilize it. Most undamped electrostatic drivers have some resonance frequency (usually in the upper midrange, lower treble) and this helps to tame it. Take a look at the picture below, that's a Stax SR-007Mk2 driver and notice the ring with no holes around the driver. That's still part of the stator with the diaphragm beneath it but it can't output any sound. The small Stax SR-003 portable headset goes even further where only a small part of the stators is open.post #35 of 24816/28/10 at 8:09amThread Starter
That's interesting information. I really wonder if that can really do some dampening.
I can change my design a little bit to unable some dampening ring as you suggested. I'll come back with some pictures.
Wachara C.post #36 of 24816/28/10 at 8:21amThread Starter
Ok, I've come back with a little modification on my previous design. This time there is some area of stators which won't have holes. The inner circle shows where the spacer will be placed over the stator. What do you think?
Wachara C.post #37 of 24816/28/10 at 8:57amThread Starter
In my opinion, the area where there is no hole actually provides the diaphragm with a more intense force. This should enhance the driver's sensitivity.
Here is another version. What do you think?
Wachara C.post #38 of 24816/28/10 at 11:00am
Looks good, certainly well worth the test.
I would also look into earpads which seal what's next to the ear from the outside completely. Leather is the best choice here but if you do this the driver will be far more linear and you will get more bass out of it. Even a small port to the outside is enough to create non-linear spots in the freqeuency response.post #39 of 24816/28/10 at 8:45pmThread Starter
Thanks for your inputs. I'll probably make both the first and the last designs and compare both to see if I can hear any differences. Because of a less open area in the last design, I think it will be more efficient. It might also help with the bass, but shouldn't be that much.
I'll come back when I have new progress.
Wachara C.post #40 of 24816/29/10 at 7:05am
With more surface area being driven then the drivers should indeed be more efficient. Not a bad thing IMO even if we are working on amps which can swing 2000V P-P. Hell, 1600V P-P is just the minimum we use these days...post #41 of 24816/29/10 at 9:24pmThread Starterpost #42 of 24817/1/10 at 10:12pmpost #43 of 24817/2/10 at 8:40amThread Starterpost #44 of 24817/2/10 at 10:29pm
- My DIY electrostatic headphones
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › The Fiio X5 Thread 4 seconds ago
- › Shozy Zero IEMs 20 seconds ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 59 seconds ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 1 minute ago
- › Introducing NightOwl Carbon & NightHawk Carbon. Next Generation... 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions 4 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget... 4 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T5p Second Generation Audiophile Headphones by crabdog
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Mustainized
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by Peddler
- › Brainwavz B100 Balanced Armature Earphone by HiFiChris
- › Campfire Audio Lyra II by alffla
- › Kingston Headset KHX-H3CL/WR HyperX Cloud Headset Black Retail by tproc
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by tproc
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5 by NCSUZoSo
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by FortisFlyer75
- › Audio-Opus Opus#2 by twister6
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear