Recent Images In This Thread
- brandDIYtagged by joe, 9/19/14
Related Forum Threads
- The Soekris R-2R DAC: Technical Details Last post on 9/14/15 at 9:53am in Dedicated Source Components
- "Double Barrel" Fully machined aluminum closed back headphones Last post on 2/23/15 at 9:47am in DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
- CUSTOM DIY NOISE CANCELING HEADPHONES BETTER THAN BOSE QC15. For 30 Bucks! Last post on 8/13/12 at 11:32am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- FS: Millett Hybrid MiniMax Last post on 10/29/11 at 3:04pm in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- I think I blew out my Left channel on my GILMORE LITE Last post on 11/30/10 at 4:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 8/24/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- List Of Diy Headphone AmpsLast edited: 11/22/12
Got this as a gift from the girlfriend, sadly it is WAY too powerful for nearfield and will be selling it for a much less powerful model. Quality issues with a slightly sticky pot which went away...
For larger (1200 x 800) images - simply click the photo INTRODUCTION I don’t think there would be many people of my vintage who are into computer audio, and haven’t heard of Creative Labs. My...
q-Jays - Purity and Elegance ^ 2 https://www.jays.se/products/q-jays/ I received q-Jays as a loan in the tour on the Danish head-fi community forum www.hoved-fi.dk Courtesy of Claus....
[Originally reviewed at Basshead.Club] How do they do it? Brainwavz continues to impress with its budget-friendly new Jive IEM for Android and iOS devices. Brainwavz Jive In the...
This is my review for the new S3 from Brainwavz. Nicknamed the silver bullet for it's silver color and long slender shape. Thanks to Brainwavz for the S3 review sample. I have previously had the...
My DIY electrostatic headphones - Page 3post #31 of 19196/27/10 at 10:05amThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #32 of 19196/27/10 at 12:54pm
I like those but the holes are a bit too big IMO. Also have you ever played around with unopened spaces on the stators to provide some damping for the diaphragm?post #33 of 19196/27/10 at 9:34pmThread Starter
Thanks a lot for your feedback. I really appreciate it. The pictures shown are not to the scale. I holes will be 2 mm, and the stators and spacers will be 65 mm in diameter. I intend to make them smaller to try and see how much difference in sounding they will make compared to my existing ones. Do you think that they will be too small?
I used to play with a few materials for damping the back stator, but I like it better without any damping. Do you have any suggestion?
Wachara C.post #34 of 19196/28/10 at 7:24am
65mm could be perfect in a good housing and with a properly sealed baffle.
The size of the holes really depends on your D/S gap and really shouldn't be any larger then double the D/S gap. For Stax that means 1mm or so given their 0.5mm D/S gap.
I for one don't like to damp much but I've gone to extreme lengths to dampen some drivers which just won't behave. That said, airdamping is IMO a very good idea as it it traps air next to the diaphragm and can stabilize it. Most undamped electrostatic drivers have some resonance frequency (usually in the upper midrange, lower treble) and this helps to tame it. Take a look at the picture below, that's a Stax SR-007Mk2 driver and notice the ring with no holes around the driver. That's still part of the stator with the diaphragm beneath it but it can't output any sound. The small Stax SR-003 portable headset goes even further where only a small part of the stators is open.post #35 of 19196/28/10 at 8:09amThread Starter
That's interesting information. I really wonder if that can really do some dampening.
I can change my design a little bit to unable some dampening ring as you suggested. I'll come back with some pictures.
Wachara C.post #36 of 19196/28/10 at 8:21amThread Starter
Ok, I've come back with a little modification on my previous design. This time there is some area of stators which won't have holes. The inner circle shows where the spacer will be placed over the stator. What do you think?
Wachara C.post #37 of 19196/28/10 at 8:57amThread Starter
In my opinion, the area where there is no hole actually provides the diaphragm with a more intense force. This should enhance the driver's sensitivity.
Here is another version. What do you think?
Wachara C.post #38 of 19196/28/10 at 11:00am
Looks good, certainly well worth the test.
I would also look into earpads which seal what's next to the ear from the outside completely. Leather is the best choice here but if you do this the driver will be far more linear and you will get more bass out of it. Even a small port to the outside is enough to create non-linear spots in the freqeuency response.post #39 of 19196/28/10 at 8:45pmThread Starter
Thanks for your inputs. I'll probably make both the first and the last designs and compare both to see if I can hear any differences. Because of a less open area in the last design, I think it will be more efficient. It might also help with the bass, but shouldn't be that much.
I'll come back when I have new progress.
Wachara C.post #40 of 19196/29/10 at 7:05am
With more surface area being driven then the drivers should indeed be more efficient. Not a bad thing IMO even if we are working on amps which can swing 2000V P-P. Hell, 1600V P-P is just the minimum we use these days...post #41 of 19196/29/10 at 9:24pmThread Starterpost #42 of 19197/1/10 at 10:12pmpost #43 of 19197/2/10 at 8:40amThread Starterpost #44 of 19197/2/10 at 10:29pm
- My DIY electrostatic headphones
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Band Name Game II 12 seconds ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 23 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 30 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 47 seconds ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › Audio-gd Digital Interface 1 minute ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 4 minutes ago
- › SMSL SA-98 Flagship-level Top HIFI Digital Big Power Amplifier... by yay101
- › Creative Sound Blaster Roar 2 Portable NFC Bluetooth Speaker with... by Brooko
- › Jays q-JAYS v2.0 by rasmushorn
- › Brainwavz Jive by Luckbad
- › Brainwavz S3 by jant71
- › FiiO EX1 Nanotech Titanium Diaphragm In-Ear Monitors by pixelsphotopro
- › RHA T20 by earfonia
- › Woo Audio WA22 by tassardar
- › CustomArt Ei.XX 6-driver CIEM - MassDrop edition by twister6
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by LaRevolu
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2