Recent Images In This Thread
- brandDIYtagged by joe, 9/19/14
Related Forum Threads
- The Soekris R-2R DAC: Technical Details Last post on 6/3/15 at 5:26am in Dedicated Source Components
- "Double Barrel" Fully machined aluminum closed back headphones Last post on 2/23/15 at 9:47am in DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
- CUSTOM DIY NOISE CANCELING HEADPHONES BETTER THAN BOSE QC15. For 30 Bucks! Last post on 8/13/12 at 11:32am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- FS: Millett Hybrid MiniMax Last post on 10/29/11 at 3:04pm in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- I think I blew out my Left channel on my GILMORE LITE Last post on 11/30/10 at 4:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 7/6/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- List Of Diy Headphone AmpsLast edited: 11/22/12
Lumia 640 LTE I never owned a portable device (apart from a Sony Walkman in the 80's) because I never felt the use of it. Just out of curiosity, not expecting much, I plugged my Sony MDR-Z7 in my...
MEElectronics/MEEaudio Introduction My experience with IEMs is short lived, but I've had fair enough experience to give you proper detailing. I mainly use detachable only, and can report from...
Introduction In audio circles, the word "endgame" generally refers to a headphone or audio chain component that is practically without fault, and performs at a high enough level to...
Would never dreamed of buying a pair of Beats but end up finding a pair for a rock bottom price(1/3 of the normal retail) so I thought what the heck. Just a side note, since they were...
The Final Audio Design (FAD) Heaven VII was sent to me by Final UK as a part of the European review tour. I’d like to give them a big THANK YOU for including me on the tour and giving me a chance...
My DIY electrostatic headphones - Page 3post #31 of 18486/27/10 at 10:05amThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #32 of 18486/27/10 at 12:54pm
I like those but the holes are a bit too big IMO. Also have you ever played around with unopened spaces on the stators to provide some damping for the diaphragm?post #33 of 18486/27/10 at 9:34pmThread Starter
Thanks a lot for your feedback. I really appreciate it. The pictures shown are not to the scale. I holes will be 2 mm, and the stators and spacers will be 65 mm in diameter. I intend to make them smaller to try and see how much difference in sounding they will make compared to my existing ones. Do you think that they will be too small?
I used to play with a few materials for damping the back stator, but I like it better without any damping. Do you have any suggestion?
Wachara C.post #34 of 18486/28/10 at 7:24am
65mm could be perfect in a good housing and with a properly sealed baffle.
The size of the holes really depends on your D/S gap and really shouldn't be any larger then double the D/S gap. For Stax that means 1mm or so given their 0.5mm D/S gap.
I for one don't like to damp much but I've gone to extreme lengths to dampen some drivers which just won't behave. That said, airdamping is IMO a very good idea as it it traps air next to the diaphragm and can stabilize it. Most undamped electrostatic drivers have some resonance frequency (usually in the upper midrange, lower treble) and this helps to tame it. Take a look at the picture below, that's a Stax SR-007Mk2 driver and notice the ring with no holes around the driver. That's still part of the stator with the diaphragm beneath it but it can't output any sound. The small Stax SR-003 portable headset goes even further where only a small part of the stators is open.post #35 of 18486/28/10 at 8:09amThread Starter
That's interesting information. I really wonder if that can really do some dampening.
I can change my design a little bit to unable some dampening ring as you suggested. I'll come back with some pictures.
Wachara C.post #36 of 18486/28/10 at 8:21amThread Starter
Ok, I've come back with a little modification on my previous design. This time there is some area of stators which won't have holes. The inner circle shows where the spacer will be placed over the stator. What do you think?
Wachara C.post #37 of 18486/28/10 at 8:57amThread Starter
In my opinion, the area where there is no hole actually provides the diaphragm with a more intense force. This should enhance the driver's sensitivity.
Here is another version. What do you think?
Wachara C.post #38 of 18486/28/10 at 11:00am
Looks good, certainly well worth the test.
I would also look into earpads which seal what's next to the ear from the outside completely. Leather is the best choice here but if you do this the driver will be far more linear and you will get more bass out of it. Even a small port to the outside is enough to create non-linear spots in the freqeuency response.post #39 of 18486/28/10 at 8:45pmThread Starter
Thanks for your inputs. I'll probably make both the first and the last designs and compare both to see if I can hear any differences. Because of a less open area in the last design, I think it will be more efficient. It might also help with the bass, but shouldn't be that much.
I'll come back when I have new progress.
Wachara C.post #40 of 18486/29/10 at 7:05am
With more surface area being driven then the drivers should indeed be more efficient. Not a bad thing IMO even if we are working on amps which can swing 2000V P-P. Hell, 1600V P-P is just the minimum we use these days...post #41 of 18486/29/10 at 9:24pmThread Starterpost #42 of 18487/1/10 at 10:12pmpost #43 of 18487/2/10 at 8:40amThread Starterpost #44 of 18487/2/10 at 10:29pm
- My DIY electrostatic headphones
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 34 seconds ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 36 seconds ago
- › need new IEMs that better than gr06 or same level for around 30$ 56 seconds ago
- › Need helping buying a new pair of Headphones 1 minute ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 2 minutes ago
- › New headphone amplifier from Bryston 3 minutes ago
- › fiio e17k vs fiio e18 vs ibasso d-zero mk2 4 minutes ago
- › Kennerton ODIN : the revelation 4 minutes ago
- › Grado 325e vs Yamaha MT220 vs ATH-MSR7 comfort and is crispness the... 4 minutes ago
- › Lumia 640 LTE RM-1072 Black - Factory Unlocked - International... by Mink
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by whitemass
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by eke2k6
- › Beats Solo HD On-Ear Headphone by Skylarke
- › Heaven VII by peter123
- › Noble Audio BTS by HiFiChris
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Cagin
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by White Lotus
- › Etymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphones by ElMarcado
- › G430 Gaming Headset by Gonomon
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3