Recent Images In This Thread
- brandDIYtagged by joe, 9/19/14
Related Forum Threads
- The Soekris R-2R DAC: Technical Details Last post on 9/8/16 at 10:31pm in Dedicated Source Components
- "Double Barrel" Fully machined aluminum closed back headphones Last post on 2/23/15 at 9:47am in DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
- CUSTOM DIY NOISE CANCELING HEADPHONES BETTER THAN BOSE QC15. For 30 Bucks! Last post on 8/13/12 at 11:32am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- FS: Millett Hybrid MiniMax Last post on 10/29/11 at 3:04pm in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- I think I blew out my Left channel on my GILMORE LITE Last post on 11/30/10 at 4:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 3/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- List Of Diy Headphone AmpsLast edited: 11/22/12
The urbanite xl wireless is seemingly targeting the younger audience with its stylish looks,bluetooth connectivity and a bass emphasis.But does this deliver like it is intended to?Let's run through...
I was looking for a solution to simultaneously listen and charge an iPhone7, since Apple decided to ditch the 3.5 mm jack output. This one, which I got on Aliexpress, does the job. Soundwise, it...
Final F7200 Earphone review I will start this review of the Final F7200 earphones by saying that I am not going to include photos or technical specifications, as these have been very well covered...
MBC/ PINOYMAN's review: The TFZ series 1 Iem. Id like to thank Christopher Gatchalian for lending me his pair unit for the purpose of this review. Shell: clear in smoke black. Cable: quality is...
This is a review of the Cambridge DacMagic Plus DAC/headphone amp/pre amp. The Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus was sent to me by Cambridge Audio in the UK as a loaner for the purpose of doing this...
My DIY electrostatic headphones - Page 3post #31 of 23086/27/10 at 10:05amThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #32 of 23086/27/10 at 12:54pm
I like those but the holes are a bit too big IMO. Also have you ever played around with unopened spaces on the stators to provide some damping for the diaphragm?post #33 of 23086/27/10 at 9:34pmThread Starter
Thanks a lot for your feedback. I really appreciate it. The pictures shown are not to the scale. I holes will be 2 mm, and the stators and spacers will be 65 mm in diameter. I intend to make them smaller to try and see how much difference in sounding they will make compared to my existing ones. Do you think that they will be too small?
I used to play with a few materials for damping the back stator, but I like it better without any damping. Do you have any suggestion?
Wachara C.post #34 of 23086/28/10 at 7:24am
65mm could be perfect in a good housing and with a properly sealed baffle.
The size of the holes really depends on your D/S gap and really shouldn't be any larger then double the D/S gap. For Stax that means 1mm or so given their 0.5mm D/S gap.
I for one don't like to damp much but I've gone to extreme lengths to dampen some drivers which just won't behave. That said, airdamping is IMO a very good idea as it it traps air next to the diaphragm and can stabilize it. Most undamped electrostatic drivers have some resonance frequency (usually in the upper midrange, lower treble) and this helps to tame it. Take a look at the picture below, that's a Stax SR-007Mk2 driver and notice the ring with no holes around the driver. That's still part of the stator with the diaphragm beneath it but it can't output any sound. The small Stax SR-003 portable headset goes even further where only a small part of the stators is open.post #35 of 23086/28/10 at 8:09amThread Starter
That's interesting information. I really wonder if that can really do some dampening.
I can change my design a little bit to unable some dampening ring as you suggested. I'll come back with some pictures.
Wachara C.post #36 of 23086/28/10 at 8:21amThread Starter
Ok, I've come back with a little modification on my previous design. This time there is some area of stators which won't have holes. The inner circle shows where the spacer will be placed over the stator. What do you think?
Wachara C.post #37 of 23086/28/10 at 8:57amThread Starter
In my opinion, the area where there is no hole actually provides the diaphragm with a more intense force. This should enhance the driver's sensitivity.
Here is another version. What do you think?
Wachara C.post #38 of 23086/28/10 at 11:00am
Looks good, certainly well worth the test.
I would also look into earpads which seal what's next to the ear from the outside completely. Leather is the best choice here but if you do this the driver will be far more linear and you will get more bass out of it. Even a small port to the outside is enough to create non-linear spots in the freqeuency response.post #39 of 23086/28/10 at 8:45pmThread Starter
Thanks for your inputs. I'll probably make both the first and the last designs and compare both to see if I can hear any differences. Because of a less open area in the last design, I think it will be more efficient. It might also help with the bass, but shouldn't be that much.
I'll come back when I have new progress.
Wachara C.post #40 of 23086/29/10 at 7:05am
With more surface area being driven then the drivers should indeed be more efficient. Not a bad thing IMO even if we are working on amps which can swing 2000V P-P. Hell, 1600V P-P is just the minimum we use these days...post #41 of 23086/29/10 at 9:24pmThread Starterpost #42 of 23087/1/10 at 10:12pmpost #43 of 23087/2/10 at 8:40amThread Starterpost #44 of 23087/2/10 at 10:29pm
- My DIY electrostatic headphones
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor (DAP | USB DAC | USB Transport... 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 2 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 4 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 4 minutes ago
- › I bought the HD600, what's next? (Amps...) 8 minutes ago
- › Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 9 minutes ago
- › DAC/AMP for Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation) 9 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 10 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless by Rafique Adzam
- › Mcdodo Lightning to Audio Cable (for iPhone 7) w/ charging function by Webkarma
- › Final F7200 by malcolm.mcintyre
- › TFZ Series 1 by pinoyman
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by peter123
- › HiFiMAN RE-00 by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Kerry56
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by Kerry56
- › Philips Shp8000/10 Hi-Fi Headphones - Black by Redcarmoose
- › Sony MDRXB400/BLU Extra Bass Over The Head 30 mm Driver Headphone,... by InternPrimas
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...