The other pieces such headband and cases are made with my 3D printer and PLA plastic.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandDIYtagged by joe, 9/19/14
Related Forum Threads
- The Soekris R-2R DAC: Technical Details Last post on 3/22/17 at 8:59pm in Dedicated Source Components
- "Double Barrel" Fully machined aluminum closed back headphones Last post on 2/23/15 at 9:47am in DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
- CUSTOM DIY NOISE CANCELING HEADPHONES BETTER THAN BOSE QC15. For 30 Bucks! Last post on 8/13/12 at 11:32am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- FS: Millett Hybrid MiniMax Last post on 10/29/11 at 3:04pm in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- I think I blew out my Left channel on my GILMORE LITE Last post on 11/30/10 at 4:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 3/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- List Of Diy Headphone AmpsLast edited: 11/22/12
Work in progress. I need to practice my English a bit...
Heard these with Chord Hugo and boy oh boy was I unimpressed... These are not worth anywhere their price point where their sound is concerned. Decently comfortable though. (The sound signature...
I decided to write a short review after buying the second pair today. The first pair was damaged by a clumsy flight attendant and her heavy trolley... Although I was super happy with the E700M...
I thought about getting DFs as a present after passing driver's exams. Read those very few reviews online, which were generally a mixed back of helpfulness. Then I took the bullet and said, yes why...
I have a pair of EarTech Music Quads that I felt were worthy of a better cable. In particular I was hoping an aftermarket, high end cable would bring some missing "air" and resolution, more...
My DIY electrostatic headphones - Page 173post #2581 of 25953/24/17 at 4:57am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2582 of 25953/24/17 at 4:57ampost #2583 of 25953/24/17 at 4:59amThread Starterpost #2584 of 25953/24/17 at 5:31ampost #2585 of 25953/24/17 at 5:36am
That's a cool looking headband and surround! Some construction notes would be good.
And still a picture of your stretcher frame would be appreciated.
Edited: Is the active area really 12.5cm? Or is it 12.5cm overall surround dia.
Edited by Muamp - Yesterday at 5:41 ampost #2586 of 25953/24/17 at 6:34ampost #2587 of 25953/24/17 at 7:06amThread StarterThat is huge! And you are using that with the spacer thickness of only 0.4 mm. It's really incredible that you still can get good bass. Is Mylar the material you use for the diaphragm?post #2588 of 25953/24/17 at 7:12ampost #2589 of 25953/24/17 at 8:33pmThread Starter
I really don't know how you do it. From the picture, you'r using single sided PCB for the stators. You said earlier that your stator thickness is only 0.6 mm. Do you use PCB that has a very thick layer of copper?
For all my headphones, the maximum diameter of the active area is only 80 mm. And yet, it's not so easy to tension the diaphragm on the 0.5 mm spacer so that it's stable and produce good bass.
I only can guess that you are driving your headphones using a pair of step up transformers and the bias voltage is quite low too, right?
Please tell us. How do you drive your headphones? What is your bias voltage?
Wachara C.post #2590 of 25953/25/17 at 1:48am
The bias voltage is 580v as i use stax ergizer. the copper layer on stators is thick 80micron. After mylar tension and apply conductive material, I attach the spacer psb's on it with epoxy glue. Also I clean with aceton the excess of glue in order to have a clean membrane attached to the spacer pcb. After 24 hours with a small soldering iron I remove the glued pcb's. Please note that in this stage because of high tension and low thickness of pcb's we observe a distortion. When I put these with other pcb's (stators and the other spacer with copper) the whole system is flat. The secret for success is tension and the quality of glue.
This is not the only ESL headphone is was constructed. Before this I constructed with the same method a rectangular in shape headphone with success.
Please note that I studing with experiments the ESL Construction from 1985 with i was a student in Physics and studied the N. Pollock article from wireless world magazine.post #2591 of 25953/25/17 at 3:31ampost #2592 of 25953/25/17 at 4:23amThread StarterI guess the spacer together with glue should make your total thickness of at least 0.6 mm already.
Have you compared your headphones loudness with other Stax headphones to see how much louder or softer your headphones are?post #2593 of 25953/25/17 at 6:27amHello,
My headphones are louder that my stax sr407, but sr407 is more musical.Now i am looking for the reasons caused it and then i will develop new designAlso i observed that my headphones are ply better with transistor based energizer rhan with my stax tube energizer. I suppose that this happens because of vey high capacity berween plates.
My other designed headphone rectungular in spape with total 20% lower active membrane surface plays better with my tube energizer. Possibly the stax tube energizer cannot accept very high capacity.post #2594 of 25953/25/17 at 6:30amQuote:
In Athens, Greece i ordered the pcbs based on my Design.post #2595 of 25953/25/17 at 10:12am
- My DIY electrostatic headphones
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 6 seconds ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 27 seconds ago
- › Echobox Audio Explorer impressions and discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 2 minutes ago
- › Advice Wanted: Amp For Beyerdynamic T1 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5iii Firmware Modification Project 3 minutes ago
- › COMING SOON: Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth,... 3 minutes ago
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ by VintageFlanker
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by GirgleMirt
- › Onkyo E700M In-ear headphones Black with microphone by doraymon
- › K240 DF by asymcon
- › TWag V4 Litz ciem replacement cable by tex thai
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by Varun Shankar
- › Panasonic RP-HT460E-K by PETEBULL
- › SoundPEATS Wireless Earbuds, True Wireless Stereo Bluetooth 4.2... by B9Scrambler
- › Soundmagic E10BT by msturg29
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by msturg29
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear