just : is my idea of the membrane of one driver being not tensed enough bad ? because I have no problem with another driver with the same voltage and same thickness.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandDIYtagged by joe, 9/19/14
Related Forum Threads
- The Soekris R-2R DAC: Technical Details Last post on Today at 3:25 pm in Dedicated Source Components
- "Double Barrel" Fully machined aluminum closed back headphones Last post on 2/23/15 at 9:47am in DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
- CUSTOM DIY NOISE CANCELING HEADPHONES BETTER THAN BOSE QC15. For 30 Bucks! Last post on 8/13/12 at 11:32am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- FS: Millett Hybrid MiniMax Last post on 10/29/11 at 3:04pm in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- I think I blew out my Left channel on my GILMORE LITE Last post on 11/30/10 at 4:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 3/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- List Of Diy Headphone AmpsLast edited: 11/22/12
Too much dirt and sibilance at 5.5-6.5KHz. Also they are not so murderous about bass as many people suggest. Characteristics (subjective, 10 max): Resolution:...
Preamble: Etymotic Research, founded in 1983 in the USA by Mead Killion (http://www.etymotic.com/about-us/interview-with-mead), a man that I highly respect, is widely...
It’s been a year since I started writing/filming reviews, and it all began with the ZMF Vibro Mk. I in cornflower blue. I found the sound very fun, found the bass ports interesting and thought they...
Accutone Pisces HD Review: Everything The Pisces Should Have Been This is another entry into my Accutone IEM marathon. For those of you who aren’t familiar with Accutone, they are a Chinese...
Beyerdynamic DT 480 - 25 ohm(with some mods) This is a review of the Beyerdynamic DT 480, I believe the only other headphone that shares a driver with the DT 48, the original dynamic headphone....
My DIY electrostatic headphones - Page 172post #2566 of 25713/17/17 at 8:10am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2567 of 25713/17/17 at 6:43pmThread Starter
You are dealing with some very old headphones. Many things going wrong aren't surprising.
I would try thicker spacers. For pro bias, a total spacer thickness of around 0.45 to 0.5 mm is just nice.post #2568 of 25713/18/17 at 12:32am
yap. But I don't have a tool to measure that.
anyway, since my last test I wrote here, the faulty driver became stable. it works !!
I think now that there is no reason why it could not work fine anymore nor not be mendable.
thanks for all.
the sound is astounding. these are by far my best headphones. and I have quite a good deal of them, either static, ortho, or dynamic.
Edited by wppk - 3/18/17 at 12:40ampost #2569 of 25713/18/17 at 12:46am
anyway, I do think that bassy srx (normal or pro) is coming from a membrane that has lost a bit of tense. just like when you tense a drum, you have a more or less bassy sound.
but, as you explained to me ago ( about lambdas) , when you don't have the good tension of the mylar, you have problems of stability and noises. I think it doesn't come from the tension, not direclty, I think it could come from the mylar touching or approaching the stators too much. as my brand new experience tends to show it. now, I have found, after so many tests, the good distance between the stator and the mylar, so it works, and I have no noise nor imbalance. what do you think of that ? does it make sense ?
Edited by wppk - 3/18/17 at 12:47ampost #2570 of 25713/18/17 at 6:32am
I was fooled by myslef like a rookie...
The bass difference is not coming from the membrane being looser... but of course it comes form the pads. As I received the new ones today, I could change them on two srx. and then they had the same sound !
as I had tested different pads on different srx, I had lost the original sound. but, on the last ones I mended, I used the original pads, and it makes a bassier sound than with previous pads. That is stupid from me, because I should have realised it. My little excuse for itis that I lost the standard sound after making tons of tests. Well, this is not really the standard sound, as it is better when removing the black ring ( photo sent yesterday).
I also tried with these bigger pads I ordered and showed the link for. We win a bit bass, but the drivers get further from the ears and of course, we loose some "cristality" in the highs. So, I prefer them with the original pads. Ordered new ones already as mine are very old and need replacement. but impossible to find the real original stax anymore, or at a huge price if I remember well. and not being sure they really are available. ordered the good size for somthing that will hav a chance to be compatible. Couldn't find as thin as the original. I will see if it makes it or not, and what it changes.
one good news among bad : my last repaired stax still is perfectly balanced.
Edited by wppk - 3/18/17 at 6:41ampost #2571 of 25713/18/17 at 11:11amJust finished a headphone listening test session.
Listening test general feedback:
Muamp#1 preferred aesthetically and acoustically. Muamp#2 not so extended at the top end, but Muamp#1 somewhere between SR007 and SR009, the SR009 having slightly stronger bass. Muamp#1 probably has better top end than #2 because it is completely open back, whereas #2 is only 70% open. Very pleased with the comments which will shape and direct my future builds. Muamp#3 will be Afromosa hardwood, but designed as #1.
- My DIY electrostatic headphones
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 14 seconds ago
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 54 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary) 1 minute ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 1 minute ago
- › Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions 1 minute ago
- › Bought GAME ONE's, maxes all volumes but lacking, going to buy e10k... 1 minute ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 4 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 6 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-FX101 by PETEBULL
- › Etymotic ER4XR by HiFiChris
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Aornic
- › Accutone Pisces HD by Cinder
- › Beyerdynamic DT 480 by kman1211
- › Schiit Audio Yggdrasil by Currawong
- › oBravo ERIB-1C 2way planar magnetic hybrid by twister6
- › Astell & Kern AK Jr. Hi-Res Music Player 64GB by SkumBucket
- › BENJIE K9 8G APE/FLAC/WAV High Sound Quality Entry-level Lossless... by Peddler
- › Darkvoice 336SE by SOULSIK
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear