I do have some stainless steel wire gauze, but I've got the PCB stators cut already, I don't want to get sidetracked into experimenting until I've got working diaphragms with very similar sounds.
Yes, the whole thing is heavier than it need be. There is a lot of room for circular holes in the parts, but in my haste I pressed ahead with the simplest design that I felt would take the punishment and be adjustable. The arrangement of stacked rings means that installing moisture shields will be straightforward.
When I thought of using the nylon studding, I found a choice of colours, and I realised that I was in the throes of creating a design with a certain steampunk flavour, plus I have succeeded in reducing the headphone to a flat pack kit.