What about the DT150? I guess I want a closed type cans to use with my K501 when the area I'm listening to wants peace and quiet :P
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- AKG Q701 Quincy Jones Edition is killed? Last post on 10/24/14 at 5:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
- K601 driver same as K501? Last post on 6/6/12 at 12:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG or Bose? Last post on 2/10/14 at 3:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- headphone upgrade help! Last post on 8/24/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone hating Last post on 9/30/11 at 11:15am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
Acknowledgment Thanks, @Andykong at Cayin, and @Takeanidea for organizing the UK wing of the worldwide extravaganza of i5 tour. It is always an honour to work with great companies and dear...
Introductory word They say that once you go black.... yeah. This is quite self-explanatory. And behold, black iFi Audio product emerged. I can only say - finally. Cheers to 'em English folks....
Company 64 Audio (former 1964 Ears) is a well-known maker of top-level multidriver IEMs. They are offering a big range of models, but the most attractive feature of their earphones is APEX...
In my self-imposed haughtiness and superiority, I have always told Alfred and Martin that I will be the high-end reviewer for this blog, and that they should be responsible for more budget...
K501 Appreciation Thread (rejuvenated) - Page 6post #76 of 1117/17/10 at 3:53am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #77 of 1117/17/10 at 8:13am
Just stumbled on this thread
For what it is worth, the K501 are the only dynamic headphone I have ever held on to ( yes I am a card bearing orthohead ) , the K501 have just always been a pleasure to listen to. I am probably spoiled in the fact that mine rumble with the deepest bass I had heard from a headphone. They went as deep as the DT770 I owned many moons ago (short moons) but were nowhere near as coloured in the bass. Do I use them often - no :-( , they sit as a reminder that not all things non-planar are nasty. The soundstage they project is particularly huge, not as big as the K1000 I had in my possession for a while but they were 99% as good as the (bass heavy K1K). The mid and bass accuracy is not on par with my orthos and this is most probably why they get less airtime than they deserve but still a wonderful soul to them that makes them a pleasure to listen to. I tried many of the mods way back - pad changes , foam in out etc. I never liked the 701 pads, sucked the life out of them. I did end up modding them - I sealed the bottom 1/3 of the stock pads and added some internal resistive damping to the driver itself.
Long live the K501 ..dBpost #78 of 1117/17/10 at 9:14ampost #79 of 1117/17/10 at 6:52pm
Could anyone comment on what kind of voltage swing these things like? I just got a pair and they seem a bit thin-sounding with my faithful 3.6v-based cmoy. I also tried them with a 9v-based amp and it seemed like an improvement not only in the upper mids but also in the bass department. Would it be in my best interests to obtain or build an 18v amp or would it be overkill?post #80 of 1117/18/10 at 5:09ampost #81 of 1117/18/10 at 7:15am
Got mine around a month ago. I'm loving them!! The mid-range is to die for
Quote:Originally Posted by QuantumCarrot
Could anyone comment on what kind of voltage swing these things like? I just got a pair and they seem a bit thin-sounding with my faithful 3.6v-based cmoy. I also tried them with a 9v-based amp and it seemed like an improvement not only in the upper mids but also in the bass department. Would it be in my best interests to obtain or build an 18v amp or would it be overkill?
Well the K501's are some of the hardest-to-drive headphones so it takes more than a cmoy to power them properly
Where did you get the new pads?post #82 of 1117/18/10 at 12:26pm
Nothing is quite like the 501 since they were purposly made for classical.. & has a mid range similiar to it's bigger brother the k1000.post #83 of 1117/18/10 at 2:55pmpost #84 of 1117/18/10 at 6:30pmpost #85 of 1117/19/10 at 2:18ampost #86 of 1117/19/10 at 5:22ampost #87 of 1117/19/10 at 5:25pmpost #88 of 1117/20/10 at 1:21amQuote:
Yep. On the box it's written that the sound is very good yada yada "for classical music lovers and purists", and there's a somewhat faint violin body on the background.
I must say they're particularly good for chamber music and piano.post #89 of 1117/20/10 at 1:55am
hmm except for huge soundstage I prefer the opposite kind of sound for classical- rich and euphonic. Best classical music headphones I have ever heard, and maybe the best I have ever heard classical reproduced was with my Headphile HP3000- warm but also fast and detailed.
I'm thinking acoustic and vocals is where the K501 does best. Genres that don't require (as much) lower mids and bass.
- K501 Appreciation Thread (rejuvenated)
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 37 seconds ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 39 seconds ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00 Owners' Impressions and... 2 minutes ago
- › Looking for a good Closed Back 3 minutes ago
- › New Sony PHA-2A portable DAC 4 minutes ago
- › Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm Thread 4 minutes ago
- › New Matrix Audio X-Server info (and a bit about the X-Sabre 2 as well) 5 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear