Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions - Page 4

post #46 of 1705
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth View Post



Yes, a square wave can tell you a great deal about a component's performance capability
 


Please explain. Perhaps you could start another thread so we don't side-track this one. Thanks.
 

post #47 of 1705

I really don't care about rise-time, ringing and over-shoot on such an inexpensive amplifier. The fact that it performs above it's price point is adequate for me!

 

A little noise is acceptable, as it takes more parts, engineering and higher cost to keep power levels up and noise levels down. Thanks Mr. Jude for sharing first impressions as the Asgard will find many friends I'm sure.

post #48 of 1705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leny View Post





Please understand that any positive review is indeed promotion or endorsement of some type. The more experienced the reviewer, the more serious the review will be taken, the more promotional and endorsing the review becomes. (You may not see it that way, and that is OK, so be it). My underlying point was that contributors to this site might not take kindly to the owner of this site being seen to endorse a competitor's product. Hence I was making a protective suggestion. If Jude wishes to ignore the advice then he is at liberty to do so, and I wish him well. Simple as that. There will be no further discussion of this from my perspective, so 'have a nice day'.

 

 

I think I understand you. Just asked as this issue has been discussed before - if you are interested you can check the SP threads from 5 or so years ago for one of the samples. So was not sure if you were new to headfi or new to the internet forums :)

And yes, this is totally off topic so don't expect you to respond.

Just wanted to confirm that as long as Head-fi goes, review by Jude or any other mods are considered review, not promotion.

post #49 of 1705
Quote:
Originally Posted by achristilaw View Post

I really don't care about rise-time, ringing and over-shoot on such an inexpensive amplifier. The fact that it performs above it's price point is adequate for me!

 

 


 

Yes, that was one of my underlying points. I didn't want to say it explicitly as I hoped that it would actually dawn on those chasing square waves that it's a $250 amp not a $10,000 Krell or whatever.

 

(However if anyone would like to illuminate how square waves relate to sound quality in a separate thread then I'm all ears).

 

Oops, going off topic. So will stop.


 

post #50 of 1705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leny View Post

@chesebert

Why? Have you discovered how square wave response directly relates to sound quality? Please tell.


If you quantify "quality" by accurate reproduction those are important specs to know.  Personally I rather have an amp amplify a signal than add its own "coloration" or "tonality".

post #51 of 1705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leny View Post

 

It doesn't matter what you use, but one day it will matter what you promote. Whether you choose to see that or not is not my problem; I simply hope it doesn't come back to bite you.

 

 

 

Jude wrote up his impression of the amp and it was guardedly positive (good for the price but may not be ideal for IEMs).  He did not "promote" the amp, as you claim.  To promote is to actively try to convince others to buy a product.  Maybe I missed it, but Jude doesn't make any such recommendation.  His brief "impressions" suggested to me that this amp is good for the price, but has some drawbacks related to noise.  If that is "promotion", it isn't terribly convincing.  I personally am less likely to buy the amp after reading what he wrote, not more likely.  Hopefully, Jude will keep posting impressions of new products.  I like to read the impressions/reviews written by people who have heard a wide range of gear at all different price points, not the gushings of noobs who just bought their first starter amp and have no frame of reference besides their iPod.   

post #52 of 1705

I remember even my gilmore light/dps had a slight hum with very sensitive cans like the ad900 even so some minimal self noise is nothing to fuss about really. Only battery powered portable amps and very few ac powered amps really have totally zero self noise/hum. As for the mechanical hum that can be drowned out by a laptop fan, thats really nothing. For $250 I'm on this. I will get one along with an audeze lcd2 as soon as I get the funds.

post #53 of 1705
Quote:
Originally Posted by donunus View Post

I remember even my gilmore light/dps had a slight hum with very sensitive cans like the ad900 even so some minimal self noise is nothing to fuss about really. Only battery powered portable amps and very few ac powered amps really have totally zero self noise/hum. As for the mechanical hum that can be drowned out by a laptop fan, thats really nothing. For $250 I'm on this. I will get one along with an audeze lcd2 as soon as I get the funds.


+2

 

-HK sends

post #54 of 1705
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimus View Post

Jude wrote up his impression of the amp and it was guardedly positive (good for the price but may not be ideal for IEMs).  He did not "promote" the amp, as you claim.  To promote is to actively try to convince others to buy a product.  Maybe I missed it, but Jude doesn't make any such recommendation.  His brief "impressions" suggested to me that this amp is good for the price, but has some drawbacks related to noise.  If that is "promotion", it isn't terribly convincing.  I personally am less likely to buy the amp after reading what he wrote, not more likely.  Hopefully, Jude will keep posting impressions of new products.  I like to read the impressions/reviews written by people who have heard a wide range of gear at all different price points, not the gushings of noobs who just bought their first starter amp and have no frame of reference besides their iPod.   


We were all at one time or another a "noob." And as a noob (way back when--just a year ago) I felt as inexperienced and unsophisticated as the next noob when I found out that my new amp was beyond the beyond as far as the limit of my aural experience went--YES, as far as sonic experiences were concerned I was definitely a noob. Then I joined Head-Fi and was immediately welcomed by atbglenn. He welcomed me into the fray of sonic newness and awareness, and naturally encouraged me to pursue my sound and not "the other person's" sound as it were--he never discouraged me at all. A NOOB should always be encouraged by the nonnoob to pursue his/her "dream sound" and gush as much as they want because an individual's first impressions are always the lasting ones. So I hope to gush very soon on the merits of this Schiit of an amp. Because this Schiit of an amp has made me a noob all over again. Thanks atbglenn. And thank you Jason, et al.


Edited by Clayton SF - 6/21/10 at 10:19pm
post #55 of 1705

Jude, have you heard the Sugden Headmaster amp before? If yes, how do they compare?

 

post #56 of 1705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leny View Post




Please explain. Perhaps you could start another thread so we don't side-track this one. Thanks.
 


This has already been discussed in another thread.  The discussion was in reference to square waves used in testing headphones, but the concepts still apply.  Send me a PM if you want more info.

post #57 of 1705

How does this compare to other fully discrete SS amps? I suppose after Jude give it a proper listen and burn in, we can see.

post #58 of 1705

Quote:

Originally Posted by minimus View Post

 

Jude wrote up his impression of the amp and it was guardedly positive (good for the price but may not be ideal for IEMs).  He did not "promote" the amp, as you claim.  To promote is to actively try to convince others to buy a product.  Maybe I missed it, but Jude doesn't make any such recommendation.  His brief "impressions" suggested to me that this amp is good for the price, but has some drawbacks related to noise.  If that is "promotion", it isn't terribly convincing.  I personally am less likely to buy the amp after reading what he wrote, not more likely.  Hopefully, Jude will keep posting impressions of new products.  I like to read the impressions/reviews written by people who have heard a wide range of gear at all different price points, not the gushings of noobs who just bought their first starter amp and have no frame of reference besides their iPod.   


Absolutely agree.It was a fair review, not promotional. There is an art to writing a review so that it accurately says different things to different audiences.


Edited by cooperpwc - 6/21/10 at 11:20pm
post #59 of 1705

I don't think the Jude would ruin his reputation in saying something was great even if it wasn't though... After all its his passion for this hobby that got headfi started in the first place.

 

At least I know that I'd never lie and promote anything bad... Even if I was selling it myself.

post #60 of 1705

Very nice photos and first impressions, jude. Looking forward for someone to test it with a 600Ω beyer. Have you heard a Shanling PH100? It's also a fully discrete solid-state amplifier within about the same price range, would be interesting for me to know how they compare.

 

And it comes with mini to RCA cable? That's nice, but why not RCA-RCA ? lol I remember when I first got my amp and cd player I thought it would come with all the necessary cables, but it didn't, and it was late so all the stores were closed so I had to wait until the next day before I could test them :-)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions