Any initial impressions yet? Curious minds want to know.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit Asgard + HD650 - New guy's opinion Last post on 9/19/12 at 12:33am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp to drive my Hifiman HE-5's Last post on 10/6/10 at 4:14am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- little dot I+ -> Schitt asgard: what can I expect? Last post on 9/9/10 at 12:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Schiit Valhalla Arrived Last post on 12/6/11 at 6:18am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Does anybody have listening experience on Schiit Asgard and the Matrix M-Stage Last post on 10/1/12 at 7:04pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
A funny thing had happened the last time I visited Schiit Audio's offices and factory/warehouse. When we entered, what had previously been a storage or dumping room -- I don't remember, had become...
The product was provided to me free of charge for the review purpose in exchange for my honest opinion. The review was originally posted on my blog, and now I would like to share it with all my...
I was surprised to see only a single review for this player, so figured I'd throw my hat into the ring. I owned this player for about a year until it was stolen (along with an entire...
I have had the opportunity to review a few inexpensive MP3 players recently and have generally been quite impressed with many of them as they clearly appear to put sound quality before pretty much...
WHAT MAKES THESE TUBE AMPS SPECIAL?Okay, so every audiophile or audio enthusiast I've met wants one of these and there is certainly a reason for it. Besides the fact that this thing just sounds...
Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions - Page 2post #16 of 17176/19/10 at 1:40pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #17 of 17176/19/10 at 1:47pmpost #18 of 17176/20/10 at 3:09am
It certainly is a nice looking unit, especially for the price but the Valhalla has it licked in this respect (IMVHO of course).
Glad to see there there are a few accessories that come bundled too; a very nice touch. Also, all thier units come with a 5 year warranty.
I'll be waiting paitently for impressions.post #19 of 17176/20/10 at 4:30am
I would like to the know the following specs:
1. rise time (10-90%, 1Khz square wave @ max voltage swing into 32Ohm);
2. slew rate (1Khz square wave @ max voltage swing into 32Ohm);
3. settling time (1Khz square wave @ max voltage swing into 32Ohm);
4. max Wrms power into 8, 32, and 300 Ohm.
5. input Z
6. output Z
I apologize if this has been published elsewhere.
Edited by chesebert - 6/20/10 at 4:48ampost #20 of 17176/20/10 at 4:35ampost #21 of 17176/20/10 at 8:03am
If you look at internal pictures of the Asgard the jack is placed on the right hand side not for looks-but this is where the electronics board is placed. Almost the entire left side of the amplifier is taken up by the transformer.post #22 of 17176/20/10 at 8:16am
"jude" we need some listening impressions please..........just a general listening impression would be sufficient for right now. I'd like to know if the Asgard is right for me (I hate to beg and grovel-but I'll do it if I have to). Happy Listening.post #23 of 17176/20/10 at 3:26pm
Looks so nice, and the Valhalla is even sexier! Can't wait to read more about how this and the Valhalla compare to other models at this $250-350 price range - namely the LD MKIII which I'm also considering at this point.post #24 of 17176/20/10 at 4:59pmpost #25 of 17176/20/10 at 8:28pmpost #26 of 17176/21/10 at 11:10am
What is the phono to mini jack cable seen in the pictures for? Does it come with a power cable or do you have to source your own?
I will join in the praise for the looks, superb.post #27 of 17176/21/10 at 12:59pmpost #28 of 17176/21/10 at 1:07pmpost #29 of 17176/21/10 at 2:56pmQuote:
Why? Have you discovered how square wave response directly relates to sound quality? Please tell.
Just a feeling that you're on thin ice. If you give this amp an amazing review you are going to pI55-off all of the other vendors of low priced amps that currently support your site. It might be more reasonable to pass the amp out for independent review, so that you can retain impartiality. Just my opinion.
post #30 of 17176/21/10 at 3:06pmThread Starter
I've been contacted and asked for impressions. I'm swamped at the moment, but here are some bulletpoints:
- So far, it easily and very nicely drives all low-impedance full-size headphones I tried with it (SHURE SRH840, Grado HF-2, Grado HF-1, Grado GS-1000, Sennheiser HD380 Pro) very nicely.
- It also drives the Sennheiser HD600/650 very nicely. The Sennheiser HD800 (which I find to be very amp-picky) is also nicely compatible with the Asgard--that pairing (HD800/Asgard) makes a very nice budget rig (if you can call any rig with a $1400 headphone in it "budget").
- The sound signature is on the smooth side, which I like--still detailed, but on the smoother side. It has a nice sense of ease with pretty much everything I've plugged into it. If you want analytical, look elsewhere.
- The Asgard has nice jump--it hasn't felt underpowered at all. In fact, the Asgard seems to me to have ample reserves of power for most of what we'd use it for (normal non-K1000 headphones). I've not yet driven it to where it loses any poise--keep in mind that I don't listen loud, so my testing in this regard has been rather transient. I haven't tried it with my AKG K340 yet, which I've found to be a challenging headphone to drive.
- It is quiet with all full-sized headphones I've tried with it.
- It's $249.00.
- It can drive my custom IEMs, but the isolation of the IEMs (plus their sensitivity), does reveal some of the Asgard's self-noise, however low-level. In short, it's not as quiet as most of the good portable amps I've tried with the same IEMs. Still, the noise is low-level enough that the Asgard is still very listenable with IEMs. (But don't make it your first choice of amp if driving UE18 Pros or JH13 Pros is your primary thing.)
- It runs hot. This doesn't personally bother me, but some consider that a con, so I thought I'd mention it. If you ordered the Asgard and the heat surprises you, you must've ordered it without seeing their website, as they make clear mention of the copious heat.
- The Asgard emits a very mild mechanical hum (from the transformer interacting with the chassis). I didn't even notice it until I moved my rig from my work office to my home office (the latter having less ambient noise). It is very mild, very low level--from where I sit, my laptop's fan kicking up masks it. The quieter your listening environs, the more likely you are to hear it (obviously). I want to emphasize that it's mechanical, and does not come through the output (you won't hear it through the headphones). I'm not bothered by it; but I think part of that is tempered by the low price, and the Asgard's performance otherwise so far.
Also in the pros, the styling is very nice, and I think will find favor with many folks, especially at the price (I still can't believe the price). One other small con: I wish the RCA jacks were spaced a bit further apart. My Cardas Golden Reference RCA plugs are pressing against each other (but they still plug in and work fine).
Again, sorry so brief, but it's still very early with the amp, and I'm simply pressed for time at the moment.
Long story short on the early impressions: the Asgard is, to my ears, much more than $249.00 worth of amp, in terms of sound quality and versatility.
- Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Dita Audio Flagship - "The Dream" 4 seconds ago
- › WTB: Quality Ethernet Cable (3M) 20 seconds ago
- › Blast from the Past - Post your favourites, any genre any decade 22 seconds ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 1 minute ago
- › AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone 1 minute ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 2 minutes ago
- › Classical music discussion, what do you like? 3 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 4 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL: 2017 North Carolina Meet 4 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Audio Yggdrasil by Currawong
- › oBravo ERIB-1C 2way planar magnetic hybrid by twister6
- › Astell & Kern AK Jr. Hi-Res Music Player 64GB by SkumBucket
- › BENJIE K9 8G APE/FLAC/WAV High Sound Quality Entry-level Lossless... by Peddler
- › Darkvoice 336SE by SOULSIK
- › Fiio F1 Dynamic In-ear Monitors by B9Scrambler
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by OSiRiSsk
- › Brainwavz Jive by ezekiel77
- › Accutone Pisces Digital In-Ear Headset - Retail Packaging -... by Cinder
- › Noble Audio Dulce Bass UIEM by EZE99
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear