Any initial impressions yet? Curious minds want to know.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit Asgard + HD650 - New guy's opinion Last post on 9/19/12 at 12:33am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp to drive my Hifiman HE-5's Last post on 10/6/10 at 4:14am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- little dot I+ -> Schitt asgard: what can I expect? Last post on 9/9/10 at 12:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Schiit Valhalla Arrived Last post on 12/6/11 at 6:18am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Does anybody have listening experience on Schiit Asgard and the Matrix M-Stage Last post on 10/1/12 at 7:04pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I've been into vinyl previously but in the mid-90's, sold my high end VPI table and never looked back. I ended up recently with a bunch of new records and nothing to play them on, and decided to...
About Me: I prefer IEMs over full size because of portability and comfort, though I have owned and own a a couple full size cans. I am a 29 year old music lover, i listen to all genres from R&B to...
Campfire Audio Andromeda: Crown jewel of the Campfire fleet Introduction First, a disclaimer: I purchased the Andromeda ($1099USD) with my own money after doing my own research and thus...
Bluedio kindly sent me their 8-driver UFO bluetooth headphones in red for review - and boy I’m glad they did. Packaging Like all of their higher priced bluetooth models, the UFO’s come...
First of all, I would like to thank Shozy for the review sample of Shozy Zero! Website: http://www.shozy-hk.com/zero-earphone/ I believe what makes Shozy Zero unique is the wooden...
- Headphone Impedance
Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions - Page 2
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
It certainly is a nice looking unit, especially for the price but the Valhalla has it licked in this respect (IMVHO of course).
Glad to see there there are a few accessories that come bundled too; a very nice touch. Also, all thier units come with a 5 year warranty.
I'll be waiting paitently for impressions.
I would like to the know the following specs:
1. rise time (10-90%, 1Khz square wave @ max voltage swing into 32Ohm);
2. slew rate (1Khz square wave @ max voltage swing into 32Ohm);
3. settling time (1Khz square wave @ max voltage swing into 32Ohm);
4. max Wrms power into 8, 32, and 300 Ohm.
5. input Z
6. output Z
I apologize if this has been published elsewhere.
Edited by chesebert - 6/20/10 at 4:48am
If you look at internal pictures of the Asgard the jack is placed on the right hand side not for looks-but this is where the electronics board is placed. Almost the entire left side of the amplifier is taken up by the transformer.
"jude" we need some listening impressions please..........just a general listening impression would be sufficient for right now. I'd like to know if the Asgard is right for me (I hate to beg and grovel-but I'll do it if I have to). Happy Listening.
Looks so nice, and the Valhalla is even sexier! Can't wait to read more about how this and the Valhalla compare to other models at this $250-350 price range - namely the LD MKIII which I'm also considering at this point.
What is the phono to mini jack cable seen in the pictures for? Does it come with a power cable or do you have to source your own?
I will join in the praise for the looks, superb.
Why? Have you discovered how square wave response directly relates to sound quality? Please tell.
Just a feeling that you're on thin ice. If you give this amp an amazing review you are going to pI55-off all of the other vendors of low priced amps that currently support your site. It might be more reasonable to pass the amp out for independent review, so that you can retain impartiality. Just my opinion.
I've been contacted and asked for impressions. I'm swamped at the moment, but here are some bulletpoints:
- So far, it easily and very nicely drives all low-impedance full-size headphones I tried with it (SHURE SRH840, Grado HF-2, Grado HF-1, Grado GS-1000, Sennheiser HD380 Pro) very nicely.
- It also drives the Sennheiser HD600/650 very nicely. The Sennheiser HD800 (which I find to be very amp-picky) is also nicely compatible with the Asgard--that pairing (HD800/Asgard) makes a very nice budget rig (if you can call any rig with a $1400 headphone in it "budget").
- The sound signature is on the smooth side, which I like--still detailed, but on the smoother side. It has a nice sense of ease with pretty much everything I've plugged into it. If you want analytical, look elsewhere.
- The Asgard has nice jump--it hasn't felt underpowered at all. In fact, the Asgard seems to me to have ample reserves of power for most of what we'd use it for (normal non-K1000 headphones). I've not yet driven it to where it loses any poise--keep in mind that I don't listen loud, so my testing in this regard has been rather transient. I haven't tried it with my AKG K340 yet, which I've found to be a challenging headphone to drive.
- It is quiet with all full-sized headphones I've tried with it.
- It's $249.00.
- It can drive my custom IEMs, but the isolation of the IEMs (plus their sensitivity), does reveal some of the Asgard's self-noise, however low-level. In short, it's not as quiet as most of the good portable amps I've tried with the same IEMs. Still, the noise is low-level enough that the Asgard is still very listenable with IEMs. (But don't make it your first choice of amp if driving UE18 Pros or JH13 Pros is your primary thing.)
- It runs hot. This doesn't personally bother me, but some consider that a con, so I thought I'd mention it. If you ordered the Asgard and the heat surprises you, you must've ordered it without seeing their website, as they make clear mention of the copious heat.
- The Asgard emits a very mild mechanical hum (from the transformer interacting with the chassis). I didn't even notice it until I moved my rig from my work office to my home office (the latter having less ambient noise). It is very mild, very low level--from where I sit, my laptop's fan kicking up masks it. The quieter your listening environs, the more likely you are to hear it (obviously). I want to emphasize that it's mechanical, and does not come through the output (you won't hear it through the headphones). I'm not bothered by it; but I think part of that is tempered by the low price, and the Asgard's performance otherwise so far.
Also in the pros, the styling is very nice, and I think will find favor with many folks, especially at the price (I still can't believe the price). One other small con: I wish the RCA jacks were spaced a bit further apart. My Cardas Golden Reference RCA plugs are pressing against each other (but they still plug in and work fine).
Again, sorry so brief, but it's still very early with the amp, and I'm simply pressed for time at the moment.
Long story short on the early impressions: the Asgard is, to my ears, much more than $249.00 worth of amp, in terms of sound quality and versatility.
- Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Earbuds Round-Up 26 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 5 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone 6 minutes ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 6 minutes ago
- › Project Ember Tube Rolling 6 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 10 minutes ago
- › Sony New Flagship Headphones is Coming on 2nd Sep, 2016 10 minutes ago
- › Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384... 16 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-D2000 and Pelican case 18 minutes ago
- › Marshall Mode In-Ear Headphones, Black/White (4090939) by PopZeus
- › Pro-Ject Debut Carbon by davehg
- › Brainwavz Jive by Lurk650
- › Campfire Audio Andromeda by k4rstar
- › Bluedio U (UFO) PPS 8 Drivers Over-ear Bluetooth Wireless Headphone... by Peddler
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by earfonia
- › Monoprice Premium 8323 Hi-Fi DJ Style Over-the-Ear Pro Headphone by 93EXCivic
- › LEAR LHF-AE1d hybrid fit earphones by mark2410
- › Edifier Rave MP700 by dnun8086
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by Brooko
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...