Good. Hope someone can come out with T1 vs hd 800 vs denon d7k
Related Forum Threads
- If HD800 And T1 Are Overpriced, What Are The Cheaper Alternatives That Compete With These Two... Last post on 11/2/15 at 12:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrading from HD 598 to HD 650, Q701, DT 880 or even T 1? Last post on 1/21/16 at 2:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- t50p, DT880, (T1?), SR225i (with end choice...!) Last post on 10/5/11 at 1:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamics for pop? Last post on 8/7/11 at 5:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic T70 & T70p: Any Impressions? Last post on 7/15/11 at 4:31am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
For larger (1200x800) images, simply click any photoINTRODUCTIONAhhh – the portable amplifier – one of the audio enthusiast's more misunderstood tools / assets. For the beginner, there...
Preamble: I have already reviewed some of 1MORE’s and Xiaomi’s audio products in the past and all of them offered a great sound experience for their very reasonable price point. The...
I love the openness and light weight of earbuds, unfortunately those earbuds I tried such as OMX95, MX375, were lack of bass and musicality. Then I found Fiio EM3 is under $10 and got good review,...
I had K3003i with a custom cable. I bough it used and the cable had been replaced and the seller assured not sound different to original I loved it. I used it with Fiio X3 2nd Gen. I liked the...
Compared to nothing (in the way of noise cancelling) these are better than that. Damning with faint praise? Yeah, I guess so, but really what can you expect for the price. Sony makes a product...
T1 v. DT880/600, Round 1 - Page 15
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #212 of 2135/21/14 at 5:39am
I know it's a bit of an old thread, but I suspect some might still be interested. I own both the DT880/600 and the T1 which I recabled with the greatly appreciated Toxic Cables Silver Widow. Driving the headphone I have custom made hardware, made by my father with 40 years of hobby high end audio design experience. And I like to show it off ;)
Some technical stuff
The DAC is based on the Doede Douma Dac 1794, which you can find on Doede's website. Basically it's a stacked DAC design of 4 * 2 PCM1794 NOS DAC chips that together not only drastically improve the sound but brings enough power to not need any amping for the next stage or even headphones, though I find on the T1 and DT880 that sometimes I desire a little more volume still. The only thing in between the DACs and the next stage is (decoupling) a high resolution 1:1 step up transformer from Cinemag.
The headphone amplifier is based on a very high end power supply, 2*2 EC903 tubes and 2 famous 6n30p 'supertubes', all audio stages and paths are connected with pure silver. And USB also a high end cable, although I keep wondering about how much that really matters.
The important part
How does the T1 compare to the DT880/600 on this rig? My finding is that the T1 has higher resolution. All the components in the music are more subtly defined and contoured, there is more space in between everything. Airy, playful.. and from soft to loud the T1 seems to be a little more dynamical. Also I find that the higher frequency range is more behaved and refined. Personally I find the overall characters of the 2 rather similar, the T1 just does everything more refined with a little less focus on the particular treble range, and has a little more expansion in soundstage. On top of that, the T1 is more sensitive and needs less amping.
Another positive note on the T1 is the headband. The DT880's is made of a certain rubber that after enough wear starts to become sticky. The T1's is made of leather I think, and won't have that effect.
Having said this, I will say that the DT880 stands pretty strong, and for the price has stunningly good sound.
Edited by nicoguy - 5/21/14 at 7:18ampost #213 of 2135/21/14 at 8:24pm
An interesting and helpful comparison, nicoguy. Your findings reflect what one would logically expect comparing the DT880 (600 or 250, as I don't believe there are huge differences) and T1, especially based on the FR: greater refinment, better resolution but basically the same flavour. I wish all reviews left us with such a logical conclusion, but unfortunately they don't, to the point sometimes where one begins to wonder about Beyer's consistency and quality control. If I were buying a T1, which is not likely, I would want to hear the very one, not a demonstrator.
Actually my main interest in this thread concerns the OPs disappointment with the post-2003 DT880 Pro compared to the pre. I've heard others express preference for the pre , but never to that degree; the OP makes them sound like two completely different phones. I'm very happy with the 880 Pro and can't imagine the previous model was a huge improvement, so I'm interested to hear what others who might have owned both have to say.
- T1 v. DT880/600, Round 1
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › BHSE - tube rolling 4 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 5 seconds ago
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget... 7 seconds ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 57 seconds ago
- › Beyer DT880/DT250 hybrid 1 minute ago
- › thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 3 minutes ago
- › Little Dot MK8SE / MK6 Super Mods (All verified mods are on first... 3 minutes ago
- › Hi everyone! 3 minutes ago
- › Shinrico E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier by crabdog
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by dalesky
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear