Earphone monitors take such small amounts, does driving earphones out of computers, receivers, amps, and ipods run much risk of clipping?
Related Forum Threads
- Poll: How do you wear yours? Last post on 10/15/13 at 8:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- CIEM with sound signature similar to the PRO 900 Last post on 1/1/13 at 9:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need your advice: UM Merlin or UE18? Last post on 11/29/12 at 5:09pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Searching for a CIEM sound like Denon D7000 Last post on 11/21/12 at 8:19pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) Last post on Yesterday at 9:53 pm in Headphones (full-size)
I tried the v-moda m100 a few months ago when I purchased it and deciding between them and the hd 650. In the end I kept the 650, these headphones are without a doubt pretty overpriced for the...
Me: I am a 21 year old Engineering student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and...
It seems petty to complain about a $100 hi-res/high capacity player, but I'll give it whirl. It might help to understand that I've been using iPods and iTunes since Apple came out with the...
I have to talk about my expectation on this Headphone first. I am not a senior audiophile. 3 years ago, my first pair of AKG K601 lead me into this wonderful world of audiophile. This pair...
IEMs I own and have used extensively before: Vsonic GR07 (single dynamic), Vsonic VC1000 (dual BA), Etymotic HF5 (single BA) (all around or slightly above $100). Fit and Comfort The...
Is there much danger of clipping with IEM’s?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I thought clipping is property of the signal. The signal's amplitude being cut off from lack of bias voltage. If the amplifier doesn't have enough room(bias voltage) for swing of the signal, the output signal would clip, and thus the headphones would be effected by the signal being clipped.
Do you mean overpowering the phones? IEMs are overly sensitive to current, so high powered source can easily blow the drivers.
Edited by High_Q - 6/16/10 at 12:56am
Another source of distortion and clipping is slew rate (amp spec). This is the amount of voltage change over time. Basically the derivative of voltage over time. This factor can be load dependant.
The speakers (or cans) could also be the criminal providing the distortion. Even if the amp is providing a perfect output wave, if the load can't keep up or can't handle that much power then yes, it will distort the signal.
I would worry about blowing your ear drums before blowing the iem if they're quality iem's.
I dunno, I think you can damage a dynamic IEM driver pretty easily with a source.
The Shure SE530 have a very nice sound straight out of my Ipod. These IEMs are at it's best from low to moderate volumes - higher than that, the drivers do seem to fall apart and the sound starts to become indistinct and somewhat distorted.
This is out of the Ipod - hooking the IEM to the Lehmann BCL - it starts to distort even sooner with a boost in current, given any volume setting, to fill in the midrange and bass further.
It's hard to find specs on IEM max power handling, weird a lot of companies don't list it. I found that the Nuforce NE-6 can handle 25mw, Soundmagic PL11 15mw (12ohm). That's pretty low, some portable sources claim to be able to put at 25mw at 32ohm, I suppose those sources could blow these IEMs.
- Is there much danger of clipping with IEM’s?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser IE 800 Audiophile Ear Canal Headphones 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman HE-1000 coming 2 minutes ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10 2 minutes ago
- › EarWerkz Legend R. 8 Driver, 7-Way, 6-Crossover Flagship |... 2 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-MR77X top of the line JVC x series 4 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Replacement for sansa clip+ 6 minutes ago
- › Fiio E17k Alpen 2 Announced (23/12/2014) 6 minutes ago
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by Spiderman
- › Audinst HUD-mx2 by YoYo JoKeR
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by koloseij
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Nap-Chiang
- › Noble 4 by Airlight
- › ROCK JAW KOMMAND BA + Dynamic hybrid by Brooko
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by Apex Eight
- › Westone UM Pro30 High Performance Triple Driver Universal Fit... by Sort
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS99 | SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan... by Mottom
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by Kenny Ingram
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)