Earphone monitors take such small amounts, does driving earphones out of computers, receivers, amps, and ipods run much risk of clipping?
Related Forum Threads
- Poll: How do you wear yours? Last post on 10/15/13 at 8:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- 8-Wire COPPER/SILVER + 1%GOLD HYBRID CABLE - PLUSSOUND AUDIO: Impressions/Review Last post on 9/27/13 at 7:57am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- CIEM with sound signature similar to the PRO 900 Last post on 1/1/13 at 9:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need your advice: UM Merlin or UE18? Last post on 11/29/12 at 5:09pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Searching for a CIEM sound like Denon D7000 Last post on 11/21/12 at 8:19pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
I own 3 High-end headphones ( HD 600, HD-650s, and HE 500s) and this amplifier does everything I want it to do. The headphones have been driven with authority, speed and transparency. The sound is...
Disclaimer: I would like to thank www.hifinage.com and Fidue for this review sample.I was supposed to keep it...
I received by LG for review purposes. Here are my thoughts are 6 weeks. Aesthetics. The unique ‘on-neck horse-shoe’ design is inconspicuous sits neatly and discreetly around the neck line....
Signature Acoustics C-12: The Elemental Underdog Woodies Company Background Audiophiles love music, especially when played from high quality audio products that contain several different...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank SoundMagic for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. If you live in US, they are currently available at a...
Is there much danger of clipping with IEM’s?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I thought clipping is property of the signal. The signal's amplitude being cut off from lack of bias voltage. If the amplifier doesn't have enough room(bias voltage) for swing of the signal, the output signal would clip, and thus the headphones would be effected by the signal being clipped.
Do you mean overpowering the phones? IEMs are overly sensitive to current, so high powered source can easily blow the drivers.
Edited by High_Q - 6/16/10 at 12:56am
Another source of distortion and clipping is slew rate (amp spec). This is the amount of voltage change over time. Basically the derivative of voltage over time. This factor can be load dependant.
The speakers (or cans) could also be the criminal providing the distortion. Even if the amp is providing a perfect output wave, if the load can't keep up or can't handle that much power then yes, it will distort the signal.
I would worry about blowing your ear drums before blowing the iem if they're quality iem's.
I dunno, I think you can damage a dynamic IEM driver pretty easily with a source.
The Shure SE530 have a very nice sound straight out of my Ipod. These IEMs are at it's best from low to moderate volumes - higher than that, the drivers do seem to fall apart and the sound starts to become indistinct and somewhat distorted.
This is out of the Ipod - hooking the IEM to the Lehmann BCL - it starts to distort even sooner with a boost in current, given any volume setting, to fill in the midrange and bass further.
It's hard to find specs on IEM max power handling, weird a lot of companies don't list it. I found that the Nuforce NE-6 can handle 25mw, Soundmagic PL11 15mw (12ohm). That's pretty low, some portable sources claim to be able to put at 25mw at 32ohm, I suppose those sources could blow these IEMs.
- Is there much danger of clipping with IEM’s?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 49 seconds ago
- › New iBasso Portable Amp/DAC: iBasso D14 "Bushmaster" 1 minute ago
- › Grado e Series 1 minute ago
- › Cayin N5 DAP - Rumours and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 3 minutes ago
- › Three New Amps on Preorder from Audio-GD (C-2 11th Anniversary... 5 minutes ago
- › 6/27/15 Denver CO meet impressions 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions 6 minutes ago
- › Beta testing the new Audeze Black-Box. 7 minutes ago
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 9 minutes ago
- › Schiit Asgard 2 by GustavoL1
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by vaibhavp
- › LG Electronics TONE INFINIM Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Retail... by lwbanerjee
- › Signature Acoustics Elements Series C-12 by vlenbo
- › Soundmagic E80 in-ear monitor headphone by twister6
- › Puro Sound Labs - IEM500 Earphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Matrix M-Stage by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by Dokins
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by DJScope
- › Astell&Kern AK10 Portable Hi-Fi Audio DAC Headphone amplifer... by Hawaiibadboy
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)