Earphone monitors take such small amounts, does driving earphones out of computers, receivers, amps, and ipods run much risk of clipping?
Related Forum Threads
- Poll: How do you wear yours? Last post on 10/15/13 at 8:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- CIEM with sound signature similar to the PRO 900 Last post on 1/1/13 at 9:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need your advice: UM Merlin or UE18? Last post on 11/29/12 at 5:09pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Searching for a CIEM sound like Denon D7000 Last post on 11/21/12 at 8:19pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) Last post on Yesterday at 7:42 pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/23/13
*Review to come*
Bought those as a portable go-to set (subway use, airplanes, travelling, etc.) and am so far very pleased. I previously used Etymotic IEM's (ER-4P and HF3) which are known for their clarity and...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685339/new-akg-flagship-k812-first-impression/120#post_10026763 Now I correct the Google translate - I use http://www.dict.cc/ and my (small) knowledge of English I hope...
Sounds great with the modded AKG Q701. Nearly as good with that as my main amp that originally cost $350. Impressive! In fact, the Vali added nothing to the sound of the modded Q701, which is...
*I listened to the Westone 4Rs using iPhone 4S and the latest iPod Classic (6th Generation). The below sums up my listening experience from these sources only.* The Westone 4Rs fit my ears...
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Is there much danger of clipping with IEM’s?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I thought clipping is property of the signal. The signal's amplitude being cut off from lack of bias voltage. If the amplifier doesn't have enough room(bias voltage) for swing of the signal, the output signal would clip, and thus the headphones would be effected by the signal being clipped.
Do you mean overpowering the phones? IEMs are overly sensitive to current, so high powered source can easily blow the drivers.
Edited by High_Q - 6/16/10 at 12:56am
Another source of distortion and clipping is slew rate (amp spec). This is the amount of voltage change over time. Basically the derivative of voltage over time. This factor can be load dependant.
The speakers (or cans) could also be the criminal providing the distortion. Even if the amp is providing a perfect output wave, if the load can't keep up or can't handle that much power then yes, it will distort the signal.
I would worry about blowing your ear drums before blowing the iem if they're quality iem's.
I dunno, I think you can damage a dynamic IEM driver pretty easily with a source.
The Shure SE530 have a very nice sound straight out of my Ipod. These IEMs are at it's best from low to moderate volumes - higher than that, the drivers do seem to fall apart and the sound starts to become indistinct and somewhat distorted.
This is out of the Ipod - hooking the IEM to the Lehmann BCL - it starts to distort even sooner with a boost in current, given any volume setting, to fill in the midrange and bass further.
It's hard to find specs on IEM max power handling, weird a lot of companies don't list it. I found that the Nuforce NE-6 can handle 25mw, Soundmagic PL11 15mw (12ohm). That's pretty low, some portable sources claim to be able to put at 25mw at 32ohm, I suppose those sources could blow these IEMs.
- Is there much danger of clipping with IEM’s?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Question on driving HD650 1 minute ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 1 minute ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX50 Thread (New^4 firmware update! V1.2.2) 3 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 4 minutes ago
- › Superlux Express Train 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! 5 minutes ago
- › [Review] of the Sony XBA H3 6 minutes ago
- › Logitech UE 6000 by HeretixAevum
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › FiiO RC-MH1 Headphone Upgrade Cable by SkyBleu
- › Sennheiser CX 175 by thesurvivor90
- › EarSonics SM2 v2 by Gilly87
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by warrenpchi