Earphone monitors take such small amounts, does driving earphones out of computers, receivers, amps, and ipods run much risk of clipping?
Related Forum Threads
- Poll: How do you wear yours? Last post on 10/15/13 at 8:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- CIEM with sound signature similar to the PRO 900 Last post on 1/1/13 at 9:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need your advice: UM Merlin or UE18? Last post on 11/29/12 at 5:09pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Searching for a CIEM sound like Denon D7000 Last post on 11/21/12 at 8:19pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) Last post on Yesterday at 2:48 pm in Headphones (full-size)
I'd say this is a great set of IEMs for its price if you're looking for that consumer v-shaped sound sig. It's not the most balanced sound sig, but for what it is, it sounds pretty good. The mids...
As of September 2014, the HE-400 has been discontinued, and it's successor, the HE-400i is being sold in its place. So why publish, or even read, a review now? First, there are many used...
DAC OCU(B) 1866 — very interesting portable DAC/amp combo from Russian manufacturer Myst. Things I like: — Nice look. As OCUB is made in small quantities, it uses stock case, but case is fully...
Note: I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason the little bars at the side aren't matching what I put them to. Audio Quality, Design, and Value I all consider to be top notch, with comfort having...
This is a review of Bowers & Wilkins B&W C5 Series 2 (new 2014 version) in-ear premium headphones with in-line remote....
Is there much danger of clipping with IEM’s?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I thought clipping is property of the signal. The signal's amplitude being cut off from lack of bias voltage. If the amplifier doesn't have enough room(bias voltage) for swing of the signal, the output signal would clip, and thus the headphones would be effected by the signal being clipped.
Do you mean overpowering the phones? IEMs are overly sensitive to current, so high powered source can easily blow the drivers.
Edited by High_Q - 6/16/10 at 12:56am
Another source of distortion and clipping is slew rate (amp spec). This is the amount of voltage change over time. Basically the derivative of voltage over time. This factor can be load dependant.
The speakers (or cans) could also be the criminal providing the distortion. Even if the amp is providing a perfect output wave, if the load can't keep up or can't handle that much power then yes, it will distort the signal.
I would worry about blowing your ear drums before blowing the iem if they're quality iem's.
I dunno, I think you can damage a dynamic IEM driver pretty easily with a source.
The Shure SE530 have a very nice sound straight out of my Ipod. These IEMs are at it's best from low to moderate volumes - higher than that, the drivers do seem to fall apart and the sound starts to become indistinct and somewhat distorted.
This is out of the Ipod - hooking the IEM to the Lehmann BCL - it starts to distort even sooner with a boost in current, given any volume setting, to fill in the midrange and bass further.
It's hard to find specs on IEM max power handling, weird a lot of companies don't list it. I found that the Nuforce NE-6 can handle 25mw, Soundmagic PL11 15mw (12ohm). That's pretty low, some portable sources claim to be able to put at 25mw at 32ohm, I suppose those sources could blow these IEMs.
- Is there much danger of clipping with IEM’s?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 31 seconds ago
- › Rank the IEM's you've heard 36 seconds ago
- › FiiO E18 Review 47 seconds ago
- › Toronto Winter 2014 Meet 51 seconds ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2.0 2 minutes ago
- › DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way... 2 minutes ago
- › CTC Audio Product Tours - Reviewers Wanted! 2 minutes ago
- › Classical only ... Akg 712 / Shure 1840 / HD 600&650 ? 3 minutes ago
- › Does every company have their particular sound? 3 minutes ago
- › A New Apex product!!! Name it HERE!!! 4 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by Midgetguy
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Rajikaru
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)