Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread - Page 7

post #91 of 3085

So the street price for this now is at $499? That is quite a lot...

post #92 of 3085

Same as the old msrp for the SE530 where I live.

post #93 of 3085
Thread Starter 

The $435 I paid is about right for product intro.  Pretty much all the triple drivers opened up at $399 and the extra$ for the cable is probably fair considering it could also be used as a luggage tie-down on you car or a jump rope.

 

I would imagine they may drop a bit in price around or after Christmas but probably not too much.   Just my guess. 

post #94 of 3085

A quick Google shows me cheapest in the UK for the SE535s is £440 at iheadphones, with most around the £450 mark. 

 

God bless sterling.


Edited by Bennyboy71 - 6/19/10 at 5:46am
post #95 of 3085

Spyro & Mace, thanks for your insight on the W3 vs the 535. So my dilema is that I'd like to pull trigger today or tomorrow to take advantage of the 15% discount at Earphones. Looks like I can get the 535 for $425 or the W3s for $340 with the discount. I listen mostly to lossless classical and rock with stuff inbetween on a nano (no amp yet but considering a p-51 purchase later this year), and I really like to listen to female vocals (Krall, Etheridge, Colvin, Rait, Jones, etc). I currently have the UM2 which I like but then decided to shell out the extra dough to get the W3's since most people agreed that the W3's simply "do everything better" than the UM2s. Even though the cables do appear somewhat fragile on the UM2, I do like the "lightness" of them as they almost disappear when draped over the ears as well as no microphonics. I'm alittle worried that the bulkier 535 cables will be more uncomfortable coming over the top of the ear and alittle worried about annoying microphonics (although I am mostly stationary when listening on my train commute but will be walking with them between the station and the office and vice versa). But, in the end, I'm most interested in the music. I am not made of money so I can only choose one. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

 

Of course, nosing around in these threads I've also come across the SM3's which many people seem to be very high on. So do I forget the discount and go with these (not sure if you have much if any experience with them). Seems like they get very high praise for the music but the build quality may be in question somewhat.

 

So there it is, W3 vs 535 vs SM3. I'm sure its a battle for the ages but based on my situation and preferences do you think there is one better than other for me? Thank you for your thoughts!

post #96 of 3085


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar367 View Post
So there it is, W3 vs 535 vs SM3. I'm sure its a battle for the ages but based on my situation and preferences do you think there is one better than other for me? Thank you for your thoughts!

 

SM3 will probably be the best all arounder for all types of music. SE535 should do best with jazz, instrumental, pop. SM3 may do classical better because of better extended, more detailed treble and a generally more neutral frequency response. W3 doesn't really do anything better than SE530 and SM3 and does some things worse, so I do not recommend it at all.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

(Pianist...are you checking this thread out?)  Your beloved SE530's have gotten even better!

 

Macedonian Hero....nice review!

 

So it is not my imagination!  A bigger soundstage and a bit more treble.  That's exactly what SE530 needed.  It made a great IEM even better.  Can no longer say that W3 is a "better"  IEM...only different.



Yeah, well I had a terrible experience with SE530. They just didn't fit my ears well no matter which universal tips I tried. I am sure I will have the same issue with the SE535, so if I do decide to get them some time in the future, I will only do so along with custom tips for them.


Edited by Pianist - 6/19/10 at 9:37am
post #97 of 3085

^ You can't say for sure it won't fit you this time, since the Shure make the Se535 slightly slimmer. Correct me if I am wrong. 

post #98 of 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by koonhua90 View Post

^ You can't say for sure it won't fit you this time, since the Shure make the Se535 slightly slimmer. Correct me if I am wrong. 


Oh, is that so? In that case, I may certainly give them a try... but not for $400+ US. If they come down in price to around $300-$350, then I may go for it. But their current price is simply too high for me to take the risk. And I know that if they won't fit me well, I will deeply regret selling my SM3. The EarSonics just destroy a poorly fitted SE530 in every way.


Edited by Pianist - 6/19/10 at 9:45am
post #99 of 3085

^ That's what I read a few pages ago on this thread. But how much of a change in the shape, only owners of SE535 can confirm this. Spyro, any comment?

post #100 of 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar367 View Post

Spyro & Mace, thanks for your insight on the W3 vs the 535. So my dilema is that I'd like to pull trigger today or tomorrow to take advantage of the 15% discount at Earphones. Looks like I can get the 535 for $425 or the W3s for $340 with the discount. I listen mostly to lossless classical and rock with stuff inbetween on a nano (no amp yet but considering a p-51 purchase later this year), and I really like to listen to female vocals (Krall, Etheridge, Colvin, Rait, Jones, etc). I currently have the UM2 which I like but then decided to shell out the extra dough to get the W3's since most people agreed that the W3's simply "do everything better" than the UM2s. Even though the cables do appear somewhat fragile on the UM2, I do like the "lightness" of them as they almost disappear when draped over the ears as well as no microphonics. I'm alittle worried that the bulkier 535 cables will be more uncomfortable coming over the top of the ear and alittle worried about annoying microphonics (although I am mostly stationary when listening on my train commute but will be walking with them between the station and the office and vice versa). But, in the end, I'm most interested in the music. I am not made of money so I can only choose one. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

 

Of course, nosing around in these threads I've also come across the SM3's which many people seem to be very high on. So do I forget the discount and go with these (not sure if you have much if any experience with them). Seems like they get very high praise for the music but the build quality may be in question somewhat.

 

So there it is, W3 vs 535 vs SM3. I'm sure its a battle for the ages but based on my situation and preferences do you think there is one better than other for me? Thank you for your thoughts!


I would recommend going with the SM3 or waiting for the price to come down some on the 535. I've never heard the 535, so I can't speak on the improvements, but I have the SM3 and I've owned the 530 for several years (gave it to a friend but still have access to it). To me, the SM3 is miles ahead of the 530. I know some others may not agree, but this is just my opinion. If you live in the U.S. the SM3 only cost $355, not including the $30 express shipping cost (got mine in six days flat). So for a total of $385, that's a bargain indeed for such a high performer. Now, if the euro goes up, that may change soon. If the euro goes down, it's even better for you. The SM3 is the best IEM I've heard (technically) so far.

post #101 of 3085

If the 535 drops don't to like $350 total, I would consider buying it too. I wouldn't give up, however, my SM3 for it.

post #102 of 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post

If the 535 drops don't to like $350 total, I would consider buying it too. I wouldn't give up, however, my SM3 for it.


Too bad I'll have no choice but to let SM3 go because I can't afford to keep both. I am just a poor student.

post #103 of 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by koonhua90 View Post

So the street price for this now is at $499? That is quite a lot...


Yes, it sure is.  Most people here have the headphone hobby, so it's somewhat understandable, but when you step back and think about it, $500 for a set of earphones?  That is a LOT.  They better be REALLY good for that price -- are they really a $350 upgrade from the Klipsch X5's I got for $150?  I doubt it.  Sometimes I think enthusiasts get taken advantage of.  If I could get the Westone 3 or UM3X for $250 I'd think about it, but even as a self-described audiophile, I just can't see ever spending $500.

post #104 of 3085

for the price of the 535 now, you could get a pretty decent custom from UM, get used SE530 and reshell if thats the signature youre after. i would actually agree that W3 beats out SE530 in most things, but then I never had any issue with fit or sibilance. when both were used with custom tips the gap widened somewhat except for the lovely mids of the shures, so female vocals = absolute win!! I dont like the look of the cable at all, to me it looks like a microphonic nightmare and I would be afraid of using them for extended sessions and getting soar ears with no memory wire?? 

 

how do 535 compare to UM3X? seems like they would be somewhat similar, but with the westones being slightly more extended and with better imaging and transient response?


Edited by qusp - 6/19/10 at 10:27am
post #105 of 3085

For a universal IEM that is a steep price to pay nowadays considering that custom remolding is relatively inexpensive.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread