Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread - Page 184

post #2746 of 3259
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

I actually think W4r's less colored, but sounds fuller. I really enjoy how SE535 is bass light and detailed, but the treble is a real disappointment.
Your rite the treble does kinda suck but using my continental v3 actually brings the treble to a more respectable level. And yes the w4r is more of a full sound. I think that's what I was trying to say. Lol sorry I'm not that good at describing this kinda stuff I just know what I meant. Lol. But I can say I like the 535 better unamped then the w4r.
post #2747 of 3259
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman46 View Post


Your rite the treble does kinda suck but using my continental v3 actually brings the treble to a more respectable level. And yes the w4r is more of a full sound. I think that's what I was trying to say. Lol sorry I'm not that good at describing this kinda stuff I just know what I meant. Lol. But I can say I like the 535 better unamped then the w4r.

It's really hard to describe a sound accurately. Anyways, the treble of SE535 extends only to 14k, which is pretty bad. If only they extended to 16k...

 

But besides that, SE535s are very enjoyable.

post #2748 of 3259
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

It's really hard to describe a sound accurately. Anyways, the treble of SE535 extends only to 14k, which is pretty bad. If only they extended to 16k...

But besides that, SE535s are very enjoyable.
Very true wish they would too. But like you said they are very enjoyable. Happy listening smily_headphones1.gif
post #2749 of 3259
The SE535 are definitely designed for straight out of smartphone / dap use. They are the easiest to drive of my iem. My post was not about that, rather musings about the signature preference of gen pop.

SE535 however scale well with my new DAC and amp. Based on initial impressions only the SE535 appear to be getting more from the stack than my other two iem. As it is initial impressions only an unsure whether the SE535 are scaling up more or they are getting greater % benefit. Regardless they sound fantastic
post #2750 of 3259
I cant seem to get a good seal with any of the tips except the large foams with the new wax protector. When I use the startips(big - orange), I get channel imbalance, the left side gets louder somehow, probably just a fit thing though. 
 
I find harder to detect this on SE425, probably due to its less wide soundstage.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_SL View Post

The SE535 are definitely designed for straight out of smartphone / dap use. They are the easiest to drive of my iem. My post was not about that, rather musings about the signature preference of gen pop.

SE535 however scale well with my new DAC and amp. Based on initial impressions only the SE535 appear to be getting more from the stack than my other two iem. As it is initial impressions only an unsure whether the SE535 are scaling up more or they are getting greater % benefit. Regardless they sound fantastic

 

 

Some times I have a hard time trying to get the volume right, on Zune for example, volume 2 is too low, 3 is too high, that kind of thing. On Audirvana I limit the volume to -25db just to use the slider on -45db.


Edited by plyr - 8/19/13 at 5:22pm
post #2751 of 3259

Thinking of upgrading from my SE-215 to the SE-535s. I love that the 215 has a pretty neutral sound (I have sensitive ears to certain sound signatures, and the 215 at least to me, was a very neutral/balanced sound, but still had enough oomph for me. It wasn't boring).

 

However, I am very sensitive to treble and highs and sibilance. For example, I got fatigue from all Grado cans, the HD-800s etc. So my question before ordering these are: does the 535 have sharp/high treble? 


Edited by satanigatan - 8/30/13 at 11:22am
post #2752 of 3259
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanigatan View Post

Thinking of upgrading from my SE-215 to the SE-535s. I love that the 215 has a pretty neutral sound (I have sensitive ears to certain sound signatures, and the 215 at least to me, was a very neutral/balanced sound, but still had enough oomph for me. It wasn't boring).

 

However, I am very sensitive to treble and highs and sibilance. For example, I got fatigue from all Grado cans, the HD-800s etc. So my question before ordering these are: does the 535 have sharp/high treble? 

No. They are rolled off and smooth.

post #2753 of 3259
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanigatan View Post

So my question before ordering these are: does the 535 have sharp/high treble? 

I share your dislike of sibilance & over-emphasised treble... & I own a pair of 535's -they're fabulous. There are those that claim they're prematurely rolled off... I'm not one of them. Get 'em, you won't be sorry... They also scale up well with cheap headphone amps - I use a JDS Cmoy & it's great (had a Fiio E11 which wasn't so good). Hope this helps.
post #2754 of 3259

Alright thanks for the advice guys. I just wanted to make sure, because treble/sibilance is always a killer for me. I didn't want to waste my time if it had that sound signature (as I get fatigue really easy). One question I have really quick is, will I notice a big change from my SE-215 to these? And if so, what will the changes be? I actually really like my 215, but I want a little more. (The 215 were just entry level, as they were my first IEM. I've always been a full headphone guy, currently owning the HD-650 and LCD-2. But I've recently made the jump to IEM, and much prefer them).  So that's why I'm upgrading now that I know I love IEMs.  

 

I was considering getting the Westone 4R as it's $100 + cheaper than the SE535. And given that my ears are sensitive, I figured the flat/neutral sound signature on those would be a safe bet. But I'm also weary of headphones being..too safe. So given that I liked the 215 (and Shure's sound signature), does it seem like the SE535 would be a good upgrade for me?

 

I know ultimately, I have to try these out for myself. Everyone has their own experience. And I'm going to use Amazon, so I have 30 days to try them. Just figured I would ask really quick.

 

Thanks guys. :)


Edited by satanigatan - 8/30/13 at 11:45am
post #2755 of 3259

     Quote:

Originally Posted by satanigatan View Post

Thinking of upgrading from my SE-215 to the SE-535s. I love that the 215 has a pretty neutral sound (I have sensitive ears to certain sound signatures, and the 215 at least to me, was a very neutral/balanced sound, but still had enough oomph for me. It wasn't boring).

 

However, I am very sensitive to treble and highs and sibilance. For example, I got fatigue from all Grado cans, the HD-800s etc. So my question before ordering these are: does the 535 have sharp/high treble? 

 

When I had the SE535, it felt a bit like Grado RS-1.  Signature is quite similar.

From the treble roll off, feels like the highs cannot go past a certain point and this causes fatigue on certain genres.  Like cymbals, high vocals and highs from electronic.


What shines most is the forward and lush mids.  Makes music fun.  From what I have heard, it's still a good upgrade from SE215.


If you are worried about treble roll off I suggest looking for the SE535 limited edition red ones which are said to have improvement there.  Or, if you prefer really good treble, I suggest ER-4S for universals (edit: yes the W4R or W4 will probably be nice for you too), or JH5 if you can stretch out to customs.


I'm very sensitive and picky about treble too.  The only things that satisfied me over 2 years is the JH13 and Beyer T1 I use now.


Edited by zenki14 - 8/30/13 at 11:48am
post #2756 of 3259

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, the RS-1 and RS-2 is the ONLY Grado I never tried. Shoot. I gave up on Grado, because the treble was too harsh for me. I know everyone loves the RS-1, because of the warm sound, the smooth mid. 

 

I'm kind of stunted as an audiophile. I love quality, and I can hear things with my ears. But I'm not very good when it comes to describing things, or technically understanding stuff. So when you guys say treble roll off can cause fatigue, I don't fully understand that. I just know that usually it's treble that causes my fatigue. Or at least, I know which headphones I could not handle. All the Grado line, HD-800, HD-700 (this massacred me), AKG-702s etc. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenki14 View Post

     Quote:

 

When I had the SE535, it felt a bit like Grado RS-1.  Signature is quite similar.

From the treble roll off, feels like the highs cannot go past a certain point and this causes fatigue on certain genres.  Like cymbals, high vocals and highs from electronic.


What shines most is the forward and lush mids.  Makes music fun.  From what I have heard, it's still a good upgrade from SE215.


If you are worried about treble roll off I suggest looking for the SE535 limited edition red ones which are said to have improvement there.  Or, if you prefer really good treble, I suggest ER-4S for universals (edit: yes the W4R or W4 will probably be nice for you too), or JH5 if you can stretch out to customs.


I'm very sensitive and picky about treble too.  The only things that satisfied me over 2 years is the JH13 and Beyer T1 I use now.


Edited by satanigatan - 8/30/13 at 11:56am
post #2757 of 3259

I decided to just try both the 4R + the SE535. Thought it was safer to just try both sound signatures, and see which ones work for me best. 

post #2758 of 3259

They are very different so that is a good call.

 

W4 technically 'good' but in all my demo of them do not find them drawing me into the music. That is not to say they are analytical, sterile, cold or [insert similar adjective] - not at all - but the mids lack something for me. With that said many do like them and personal tastes disclaimer yada yada.

 

IEM market is getting harder to figure out with so much competition. New manufacturers every year redefine what is possible at x price-point and showing the established names a thing or two (competition and consumer choice is no bad thing smile.gif)

post #2759 of 3259
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_SL View Post

They are very different so that is a good call.

 

W4 technically 'good' but in all my demo of them do not find them drawing me into the music. That is not to say they are analytical, sterile, cold or [insert similar adjective] - not at all - but the mids lack something for me. With that said many do like them and personal tastes disclaimer yada yada.

 

IEM market is getting harder to figure out with so much competition. New manufacturers every year redefine what is possible at x price-point and showing the established names a thing or two (competition and consumer choice is no bad thing smile.gif)

 

I feel the same about the w4.  I felt the 535 was more enjoyable despite the roll off.  However, the roll off was too much for me in the treble.  With eq applied, I think they are both excellent.  The 4r really opens up and draws you in more if you eq them properly...

post #2760 of 3259
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

I actually think W4r's less colored, but sounds fuller. I really enjoy how SE535 is bass light and detailed, but the treble is a real disappointment.

Hmmm?   To my ears SE535 certainly had more slam and bass presence than W4 and I find the treble much crisper with far better clarity.  Using UM56 and star tips.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread