Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread - Page 164

post #2446 of 3254
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdriver View Post

 

 

 

Well, I don't know what that means. But, if human hearing is most acute between 1khz and 4khz, wouldn't that make “flat” essentially mid-centric?

 

Regardless, I disagree with EarphoneSolution's advertising claim that the 535 is best paired with the iPhone 5. I've never heard the PFE 232, but I have no doubt its native V-shape probably produces a more dimensional sound on an Apple DAP. I'll continue to tell everyone (who asks) that Apple DAPs and the SE535 do not pair well.

 

When I first stumbled across my original T'Mo Galaxy S2 and SE535 combo (using Poweramp), I thought that those two products should have come in the same box.

 

I'd have to disagree. :-)  I think other than the treble rolloff the 535 sounded excellent on my ipod touch 5th gen.  And I'm pretty sure the consensus is that there is a treble rolloff on any device.  That's just the earphone.  Otherwise, I'd say they were more impressive than the pfe minus the treble rolloff.  I think the pfe will impress people that aren't looking for neutrality, because they give a moderate boosted bass and treble in a very high quality manner.  The shure's may not be ruler flat, but if the treble extended further the sound would be much flatter than the pfe232.  And I found that better personally.  However, with the rolloff, unfortunately all of the is moot, because I don't want "part" of an earphone to sound great, I want the whole thing! haha.   ;)  Or as close to it as possible...


Edited by luisdent - 2/11/13 at 1:28pm
post #2447 of 3254
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

 

I'd have to disagree. :-)  I think other than the treble rolloff the 535 sounded excellent on my ipod touch 5th gen.  And I'm pretty sure the consensus is that there is a treble rolloff on any device.  That's just the earphone.  Otherwise, I'd say they were more impressive than the pfe minus the treble rolloff.  I think the pfe will impress people that aren't looking for neutrality, because they give a moderate boosted bass and treble in a very high quality manner.  The shure's may not be ruler flat, but if the treble extended further the sound would be much flatter than the pfe232.  And I found that better personally.  However, with the rolloff, unfortunately all of the is moot, because I don't want "part" of an earphone to sound great, I want the whole thing! haha.   ;)  Or as close to it as possible...

 

Do you like sub-bass, luisdent? Do you hear any sub-bass coming from your iPod Touch 4G plus SE535? If so, give me an example of a song where you hear sub-bass coming from this combo. I may need to get a Touch 4G because I can't hear it on the iPhone 4, 4S, or my iPod Touch 3G  (at least not without heavy EQ plus an amp--and even then it is very faint).

post #2448 of 3254

lol there is no sub-bass with the SE535. Anyone reading this and thinking of buying please do not think that of the SE535. They have good qualities but ultimate bass impact and extension are not amongst them

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckdriver View Post

The sound-stage of the 535, in my opinion, is much better with the triple-flange tips

 

The triple flange tips help eek a slither more out of the bass but disagree with "much better soundstage". It remains a linear 2D presentation from ear to ear. May want to try ACS moulds one day myself to see if that improves the SE535 experience


Edited by LFC_SL - 2/11/13 at 1:39pm
post #2449 of 3254
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_SL View Post

 

The triple flange tips help eek a slither more out of the bass but disagree with "much better soundstage". It remains a linear 2D presentation from ear to ear. May want to try ACS moulds one day myself to see if that improves the SE535 experience


You cut off the most salient part of the quote. Yes, it is 2D with the Apple DAP. That's one of the reasons (one of several) why I don't like that combo.

post #2450 of 3254

Fair enough. Desperately need a portable dac upgrade but want an iPad first tongue.gif Still do not think you can turn water into wine though. Have tried my Shure and Phonak when had home loan of Invicta and M-Dac.

post #2451 of 3254
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_SL View Post

Fair enough. Desperately need a portable dac upgrade but want an iPad first tongue.gif Still do not think you can turn water into wine though. Have tried my Shure and Phonak when had home loan of Invicta and M-Dac.


I'm not saying that Apple players are bad. They actually sound pretty good with other headphones (the Harmon Kardons in the Apple Store among others). Heck, even the blast of midrange with the Apple DAP/535 is quite lush and nice but that's all there is to that combo.

 

If you want to hear some adequate sub-bass from the 535 just connect it to a $35 Sansa Clip+ (with RockBox-- and admittedly heavily EQ'd but no amp needed). My Samsung phones produce audible sub-bass with the 535. It won't blow your ears off, but it leaves Apple DAPs in the dust.

 

I'm not saying Apple DAP don't produce sub-bass. I'm saying that particular combo doesn't.

post #2452 of 3254

See my signature wink.gif http://www.head-fi.org/t/633511/pictures-of-your-portable-rig-part-xvi/2070#post_9148813

 

Just when I thought we were together on this ha. Look the SE535 has certain qualities going for it but extension at either end of the spectrum is not one of them. That much can be agreed


Edited by LFC_SL - 2/11/13 at 2:50pm
post #2453 of 3254
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdriver View Post

If you want to hear some adequate sub-bass from the 535 just connect it to a $35 Sansa Clip+ (with RockBox-- and admittedly heavily EQ'd but no amp needed). My Samsung phones produce audible sub-bass with the 535. It won't blow your ears off, but it leaves Apple DAPs in the dust.

 

Ah - OK - I understand what you're saying now.  You're getting the added bass via EQ (not sure if it's really 'audible sub-bass' though - 30Hz and below just isn't really that audible).  Just for the record, you can do the same thing with an iPhone4 and the Equalizer app.

post #2454 of 3254
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_SL View Post

 

lol there is no sub-bass with the SE535. Anyone reading this and thinking of buying please do not think that of the SE535. They have good qualities but ultimate bass impact and extension are not amongst them

 

As a SE535 owner (admittedly the SE535 LE), I'd disagree slightly.  I think they have great bass extension - pretty flat too through the lower mids and bass.

 

I'd actually agree with Tyll's measurements (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/shure-ear-series-se215-se315-se425-and-se535-page-2).  They really have very good bass extension - but I was surprised by the lack of bass impact.  To get thumping bass - you have to EQ them.  I have to admit I was expecting more when I got mine - but I'm not disappointed (once I got used to the signature).

 

The good thing about the LE 535 model is that it also addresses the treble extension - which a lot of people (me included) found lacking in the 535 Stds.

post #2455 of 3254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

 

As a SE535 owner (admittedly the SE535 LE), I'd disagree slightly.  I think they have great bass extension - pretty flat too through the lower mids and bass.

 

I'd actually agree with Tyll's measurements (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/shure-ear-series-se215-se315-se425-and-se535-page-2).  They really have very good bass extension - but I was surprised by the lack of bass impact.  To get thumping bass - you have to EQ them.  I have to admit I was expecting more when I got mine - but I'm not disappointed (once I got used to the signature).

 

The good thing about the LE 535 model is that it also addresses the treble extension - which a lot of people (me included) found lacking in the 535 Stds.

Agreed. I really enjoyed the SE535's bass. Tight, controlled and very well extended (flat all the way down to 10Hz):

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSE535.pdf

 

These are not basshead IEMs. For that, the Senn IE8/IE80 is a better fit.

post #2456 of 3254
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdriver View Post

 

Do you like sub-bass, luisdent? Do you hear any sub-bass coming from your iPod Touch 4G plus SE535? If so, give me an example of a song where you hear sub-bass coming from this combo. I may need to get a Touch 4G because I can't hear it on the iPhone 4, 4S, or my iPod Touch 3G  (at least not without heavy EQ plus an amp--and even then it is very faint).

 

Yes, I hear sub-bass.  They are not boosted sub bass nor are they the most amazing sub bass reproduction i've heard, but I find the bass (sub/low and mid bass) very high quality and relatively even in level.  Listen to suddenly by BT and you will hear sub bass.  Don't shoot me for this one, but listen to inconsolable by backstreet boys as well, at 0:19 this is some nice, albeit soft, sub bass.  Lastly, my favorite, pink floyd dark side of the moon on the track speak to me/breathe in the air.  The heartbeat at the beginning sounds awesome.  It is noticeably more sub-bassy on the original master of the cd and not the 1990s remaster which is slightly compressed.  The bass in each song is again not pronounced, but fairly accurately reproduced.  If you don't hear it you might need to get a better seal or try a different tip.  But any lack of sub-bass or impression thereof is not the ipod, it is the shure.  I have heard many headphones on the ipod and am very familiar with their frequency curves, and they all produce exactly the amount of sub-bass I would expect compared to my high end studio monitors, while obviously being a bit different in presentation as they are earphones.. :-)

 

I wouldn't call the 535 bassy as some people do.  I think the lack of high treble gives that impression, but in general I find the bass area fairly neutral with perhaps a slightly higher level overall than flat, but even nonetheless.  Most people aren't happy with neutral bass though, so I wouldn't recommend the 535 for bass/sub-bass really.  The pfe232 will knock that out of the park, even though they aren't really basshead phones either.  But they have a much more pronounced low bass region than the 535.


Edited by luisdent - 2/11/13 at 7:47pm
post #2457 of 3254
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_SL View Post

See my signature wink.gif http://www.head-fi.org/t/633511/pictures-of-your-portable-rig-part-xvi/2070#post_9148813

 

Just when I thought we were together on this ha. Look the SE535 has certain qualities going for it but extension at either end of the spectrum is not one of them. That much can be agreed

My use of the word “adequate” was not properly descriptive of how I feel. I meant it makes an audible sound reminiscent of sub-bass. At that point, my brain recalls the true sound from full size speakers. I don't own an IEM/source combo that produces truly pleasing sub-bass. If a sound is present,  that is better than if it is not.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

 

Yes, I hear sub-bass.  They are not boosted sub bass nor are they the most amazing sub bass reproduction i've heard, but I find the bass (sub/low and mid bass) very high quality and relatively even in level.  Listen to suddenly by BT and you will hear sub bass.  Don't shoot me for this one, but listen to inconsolable by backstreet boys as well, at 0:19 this is some nice, albeit soft, sub bass.  Lastly, my favorite, pink floyd dark side of the moon on the track speak to me/breathe in the air.  The heartbeat at the beginning sounds awesome.  It is noticeably more sub-bassy on the original master of the cd and not the 1990s remaster which is slightly compressed.  The bass in each song is again not pronounced, but fairly accurately reproduced.  If you don't hear it you might need to get a better seal or try a different tip.  But any lack of sub-bass or impression thereof is not the ipod, it is the shure.  I have heard many headphones on the ipod and am very familiar with their frequency curves, and they all produce exactly the amount of sub-bass I would expect compared to my high end studio monitors, while obviously being a bit different in presentation as they are earphones.. :-)

 

I wouldn't call the 535 bassy as some people do.  I think the lack of high treble gives that impression, but in general I find the bass area fairly neutral with perhaps a slightly higher level overall than flat, but even nonetheless.  Most people aren't happy with neutral bass though, so I wouldn't recommend the 535 for bass/sub-bass really.  The pfe232 will knock that out of the park, even though they aren't really basshead phones either.  But they have a much more pronounced low bass region than the 535.

Thanks for your direct rely, luisdent. In some Hip-Hop and Rap tracks, the entire bass line is in the sub-bass region (digging ever deeper with each note).

 

Nearly a year ago, I started a thread comparing sub-bass output of my various sources. My iPod Touch 3G performed miserably. The first two posts here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/608049/sansa-clip-impressive-bass-better-than-si-and-sii. Bass-boosting helps produce a linear sound to compensate for human hearing and, IMO,  is the true “flat”. It coincides with the TRUE intend of producers of Rap, Hip-Hop, R&B, and modern Pop music.

 

So again, a miserable performing sub-bass player (iPod with my IEMs) and a so-so sub-bass IEM (535) don't combine well for certain genres of music. Nothing grabs your attention like the complete absence of a bass note that you know for a fact is suppose to be there.

 

As for tips, a softened Shure triple-flange produces a better treble and bass response (while sealing and conforming to the ear better). The key word is softened.

 

post #2458 of 3254
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdriver View Post

My use of the word “adequate” was not properly descriptive of how I feel. I meant it makes an audible sound reminiscent of sub-bass. At that point, my brain recalls the true sound from full size speakers. I don't own an IEM/source combo that produces truly pleasing sub-bass. If a sound is present,  that is better than if it is not.

 

Thanks for your direct rely, luisdent. In some Hip-Hop and Rap tracks, the entire bass line is in the sub-bass region (digging ever deeper with each note).

 

Nearly a year ago, I started a thread comparing sub-bass output of my various sources. My iPod Touch 3G performed miserably. The first two posts here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/608049/sansa-clip-impressive-bass-better-than-si-and-sii. Bass-boosting helps produce a linear sound to compensate for human hearing and, IMO,  is the true “flat”. It coincides with the TRUE intend of producers of Rap, Hip-Hop, R&B, and modern Pop music.

 

So again, a miserable performing sub-bass player (iPod with my IEMs) and a so-so sub-bass IEM (535) don't combine well for certain genres of music. Nothing grabs your attention like the complete absence of a bass note that you know for a fact is suppose to be there.

 

As for tips, a softened Shure triple-flange produces a better treble and bass response (while sealing and conforming to the ear better). The key word is softened.

 

 

I agree that a ruler flat bass won't sound like a was recorded due to many factors.  However, I believe that the device should be ruler flat and the headphone should compensate for this.  What if you connect your ipod to a speaker amp?  I wouldn't want boosted bass.  The problem is one from the headphone not the source.  I think the headphone should boost the bass if anything.

 

However, you can read nwavguy's comparison of the ipod vs the sansa clip, and he measures and listens proving the ipod is technically better than the sansa in terms of audio quality.  However, there were a few things such as output impedance that the sansa was better at, which in some cases could result in better real results with iems.

 

DOUBLE however, the new ipod touch is even better than the sansa with output impedance.  So the new ipod touch is probably one of the best portable players in terms of audio quality and fixes the few points the sansa was ahead by.  My problem is that I'm starting to really think a lot of iems are tuned to work with >1 output impedance.  I just can't imagine so many would sound so "off" the way they do at <1 ohm.  But who knows other than the companies... :-/

 

I think you're problem is my problem.  In truth the ipod is excellent with bass, but our IEMs simply don't deliver speaker like bass.  I want a subwoofer in my ear.  Don't misunderstand me.  I don't want pounding loud bass.  I want reference flat bass.... of a subwoofer/speaker.  My infinity alpha 1200 produces the most beautiful super low sub bass creamy smoothness.  Even when it is no louder than the other frequencies.  IEMs on the other hand, even when ruler flat, in reality sound less bassy.  I personally find nothing wrong with having a player that compensates for this.  However, I prefer to fix it at the source, which in my opinion is the headphone. :)  Just my thoughts.

post #2459 of 3254

My two cents is I agree that the Shure se535 Special Editions are the best. I tried both the bronze 535 and the Westone 4r for a couple of days each before returning them both. The bronze 535s had a slight roll off of the highs and the veiled sound of the Westone's left me feeling cold.  In my opinion, Westone 4r attempt for perfect balance took away the beauty while the Shure 535 Special Editions is sonic perfection short of custom. 

post #2460 of 3254
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post

My two cents is I agree that the Shure se535 Special Editions are the best. I tried both the bronze 535 and the Westone 4r for a couple of days each before returning them both. The bronze 535s had a slight roll off of the highs and the veiled sound of the Westone's left me feeling cold.  In my opinion, Westone 4r attempt for perfect balance took away the beauty while the Shure 535 Special Editions is sonic perfection short of custom. 

 

I don't know if there is an impedance difference, because I can't find the spec ANYWHERE.  But I connected my 4r to my denon avr988 last night and I was absolutely STUNNED.  While the difference in quality wasn't necessarily drastic per se, the receiver opened up the sound and there was not only ZERO veil like i experience on my ipod touch, but they were incredible realistic and transparent sounding.  Hanz zimmer "idyll's end" almost made me cry it sounded so beautiful and acoustic guitars and things had a much more noticeable dynamic crispness and things just breath better.  It's almost like it's higher resolution sounding.  I'm ho[ing it's not just impedance, but I almost don't think it is, because on the 32ohm duet they sound better because of the impedance shift in the treble, but they sound less bassy also because of it.  On the denon the frequencies sound essentially the same as the ipod direct but just better.

 

If it really is a better amp resulting in the sound quality I am absolutely getting an amp for my ipod.  no questions.  I know this isn't a placebo type effect where I was expecting the sound and therefore heard it, because I "wasn't" expecting it to be better.  I really though it would be a high impedance output (it still might) and that the frequency would shift like the duet.  Instead the sound just plain got better and more resolute.  I compared them side by side and the ipod sounded muddier in general and lacked the clarity between instruments and such. Even then, I think they are decent stock on the ipod, but amped they are very very good with no eq.  I recommend people try them with a high quality amp before making a final judgment...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread