Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread - Page 75

post #1111 of 3238

^^ What others don't seem to have noticed is that the same seller is selling the older SE530 for $400 and the SE530PTH for $420

 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHURE-SE530-SOUND-NOISE-ISOLATING-EARPHONES-E500-SE-530-/230413345169?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories

 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHURE-SE530PTH-SOUND-ISOLATING-EARPHONES-E500-SE530-PTH-/320476414740?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories

post #1112 of 3238

I noticed.

 

It's a shame the ones who paid don't have any buyers protection for the matter[?]

post #1113 of 3238
Quote:
Originally Posted by methodphoto View Post

I noticed.

 

It's a shame the ones who paid don't have any buyers protection for the matter[?]


Lol buyer protection for what? It is not like he was trying to scam you.

post #1114 of 3238

Well if the item was purchased and paid for, isn't the seller responsible for sending it out? It seems that he took initiative to fully refund everyone, then explain to them the situation.

 

Not saying that the seller was trying to scam anyone, but mistake or not, I don't think they should be allowed to get off just saying "The price was a mistake, here's your refund.. end of story." Granted they'll get into a shitstorm with Shure for selling so many at that price, but whose fault is that?


Edited by methodphoto - 8/22/10 at 8:54pm
post #1115 of 3238
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

 

 Hey, music_4321, you even got the second part of your post right.



Hey music_4321... of course you got it right... duh... you're not Headphoneus Supremus for nottin'!

post #1116 of 3238
post #1117 of 3238

With $40 shipping although still cheaper. It looks like it's being sold by a head-fi member with the same username.

post #1118 of 3238

I'm just the messenger.

post #1119 of 3238


The seller is from the Philipines and the product is only available to buyers from the USA. All feedback comes from only 19 buyers, all of whom are from the Philipines.

 

On top of that on 20th August he left feedback for seller cyber_worlds after he bought...er... the SE535 for $479.99! --  the day he left the seller feedback is the same day he paid for the article, only 4 minutes later!


Edited by music_4321 - 8/23/10 at 2:35pm
post #1120 of 3238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcha View Post

I'm just the messenger.


You're a fine messenger - thank you.

post #1121 of 3238

I just wanted state the reasons I put my SE535's on the FS forum.

 

I bought the SE535 as an upgrade to my E4c. The E4c is a perfectly adequate IEM, but has no amazingly outstanding characteristics or abilities. It's just good and for the Gym, where I used it the most, it was perfect. Great isolation, and a very good sound.

 

I had hoped that the SE535 would be a serious improvement, and for the money it certainly should have been.

 

I also bought the SM3 (as many of you know) to compare. There had been virtually zero hype surrounding the 535, but much praise for the SM3. This piqued my curiosity.

 

The biggest difficulty I had with the SE535 was the fit. I really didn't care for the detachable cable, the fact that it flipped around when trying to insert them in my ear, and the added bulk. I also preferred the cable on the SM3 as it is the exact same as the one on my UM2. It's light, thin and because I wear glasses, unobtrusive.

The cable on the 535 conversely, is thicker at the ear due to it's plastic sheath and wire. This raises the microphonics for me to a level I'd rather not have (as I would hear the tapping of my glasses against it). I also had slight trouble inserting them deeply enough for the best seal... it could be done, but it never felt fully secure nor fully sealed. It would also wiggle out somewhat during exercise, compromising the seal.

 

The cables themselves are great and seemingly very durable. For me, however, I prefer lighter... like the SM3 (or UM2). They were also just a bit too long for my mini-stature.

 

As for the sound. Sometimes it was incredibly good. As I've posted before, I had a few Ah-ha moments where I really thought the sound would overcome the physical difficulties I had. But in the end, not so much. Where I found them lacking somewhat was on the opposite ends of the sonic spectrum. I found the roll-off of the highs a bit too severe (at about 8khz) and the bass was lacking any authority. Otherwise, the mids were absolutely gorgeous and really brought vocals and most instruments right up front and personal.

 

Where I found the SM3 muted and muffled, but huge on the bass and warmth, I found the SE535 bright and clean, with little warmth at all. The search goes on.

 

Obviously, like the fit issues, the sound interpretation and observations are completely personal and subjective. Just because I heard things this way means absolutely nothing... in a universal sense.

 

Cheers

 

shane

 


Edited by shane55 - 8/23/10 at 4:02pm
post #1122 of 3238
Thread Starter 

Sounds like the fit and microphonics were the main issue. I think there is "different" out there but there is nothing better than SE535.  For me as a whole package it does literally everything about as possibly good as I could imagine.  There is nothing I would change with it.  I find it perfect in every criteria.

I have sold and re-bought the following IEM's twice and in some cases 3 times. ( ER4, E4, TF10Pro, W3, UM3X, GR8, SE530)  It's fun but expensive.  But I can't see ever parting with SE535.

post #1123 of 3238
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post

I just wanted state the reasons I put my SE535's on the FS forum.

 

I bought the SE535 as an upgrade to my E4c. The E4c is a perfectly adequate IEM, but has no amazingly outstanding characteristics or abilities. It's just good and for the Gym, where I used it the most, it was perfect. Great isolation, and a very good sound.

 

I had hoped that the SE535 would be a serious improvement, and for the money it certainly should have been.

 

I also bought the SM3 (as many of you know) to compare. There had been virtually zero hype surrounding the 535, but much praise for the SM3. This piqued my curiosity.

 

The biggest difficulty I had with the SE535 was the fit. I really didn't care for the detachable cable, the fact that it flipped around when trying to insert them in my ear, and the added bulk. I also preferred the cable on the SM3 as it is the exact same as the one on my UM2. It's light, thin and because I wear glasses, unobtrusive.

The cable on the 535 conversely, is thicker at the ear due to it's plastic sheath and wire. This raises the microphonics for me to a level I'd rather not have (as I would hear the tapping of my glasses against it). I also had slight trouble inserting them deeply enough for the best seal... it could be done, but it never felt fully secure nor fully sealed. It would also wiggle out somewhat during exercise, compromising the seal.

 

The cables themselves are great and seemingly very durable. For me, however, I prefer lighter... like the SM3 (or UM2). They were also just a bit too long for my mini-stature.

 

As for the sound. Sometimes it was incredibly good. As I've posted before, I had a few Ah-ha moments where I really thought the sound would overcome the physical difficulties I had. But in the end, not so much. Where I found them lacking somewhat was on the opposite ends of the sonic spectrum. I found the roll-off of the highs a bit too severe (at about 8khz) and the bass was lacking any authority. Otherwise, the mids were absolutely gorgeous and really brought vocals and most instruments right up front and personal.

 

Where I found the SM3 muted and muffled, but huge on the bass and warmth, I found the SE535 bright and clean, with little warmth at all. The search goes on.

 

Obviously, like the fit issues, the sound interpretation and observations are completely personal and subjective. Just because I heard things this way means absolutely nothing... in a universal sense.

 

Cheers

 

shane

 

It could also be that since you were having getting a good seal with deep insert you were missing some of the little things. But then again if you can't get a good seal with any IEM no matter how good it is then it is no good.

 

I found the olives to be good but not perfect, after I got my ears cleaned and everything and I was able to use the triple flanges the seal and depth of insert was perfect and sound was that much better.
 


Edited by MKang25 - 8/23/10 at 8:00pm
post #1124 of 3238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

Sounds like the fit and microphonics were the main issue. I think there is "different" out there but there is nothing better than SE535.  For me as a whole package it does literally everything about as possibly good as I could imagine.  There is nothing I would change with it.  I find it perfect in every criteria.

I have sold and re-bought the following IEM's twice and in some cases 3 times. ( ER4, E4, TF10Pro, W3, UM3X, GR8, SE530)  It's fun but expensive.  But I can't see ever parting with SE535.


The only thing I would like to see change about the 535s would be a tad bit more bass impact.

post #1125 of 3238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

Sounds like the fit and microphonics were the main issue. I think there is "different" out there but there is nothing better than SE535.  For me as a whole package it does literally everything about as possibly good as I could imagine.  There is nothing I would change with it.  I find it perfect in every criteria.

I have sold and re-bought the following IEM's twice and in some cases 3 times. ( ER4, E4, TF10Pro, W3, UM3X, GR8, SE530)  It's fun but expensive.  But I can't see ever parting with SE535.


Wish I were in your shoes... envious really. I was hoping that the SM3 or SE535 would really do it for me, and I really tried to allow that to happen. But to no avail.

I agree with MKang25 that there is a deficit in the low end. But that is also said about the DT880 and I think they're amazing... so go figure.

 

And yes, edification is expensive in this 'hobby'...  

But mostly worth it.

 

shane

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread